The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for an egg to peel
January 19th, 2012

Duck, quail, chicken, farm-fresh or free-range, white, brown or speckled, eggs have a long culinary history and should be revered. I am a huge fan of eating them hard-boiled, chopped up with butter and salt in a bowl. It was what my mom fed me every time I was sick; it's easy to swallow on a sore throat.

To this day it amuses me that every time I fire up a pot of hot bubbles to make my own, someone gives me unsolicited egg advice. It started early. When I was nine, my Aunt Gail said to "salt the water." I still do. And just last year someone taught me to "put the finished egg in the paper towel and roll it on the counter" for perfect shell cracking.

As chef Steven Satterfield of Atlanta’s renowned Miller Union restaurant stated, “The deviled egg is a Southern icon and let's face it, there would be no dessert without the egg."

Chef Satterfield is masterful when it comes to eggs, so for a change, I went to him to solicit a bit of hard-boiled advice. “My first tip is only make it deviled, for the deviled egg is a hard-boiled egg's best friend," he replied.

To make the perfect hard-boiled egg:
For 6 eggs

1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
  2. Gently lower 7 eggs into the water and start a timer. (It's always nice to include an extra egg to test its readiness later in the process.)
  3. Prepare a bowl of ice water large enough to submerge the eggs.
  4. Boil eggs for 8 minutes exactly.
  5. When timer goes off, pull an egg out and cut through it with a knife on a cutting board.  Look inside the egg and check to make sure that the outside of the yolk is set but still runny.  If the yolk has not start to set on the outside, then allow the rest of the eggs to cook for 30 more seconds.
  6. Pull all the eggs quickly and gently crack the shell of each before submerging into ice water.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then start peeling the eggs.

To make deviled eggs:

1. Cut the peeled eggs in half.
  2. Remove the yolks with a small spoon and press them through a wire mesh sieve.
  3. Mix with 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (homemade is best, but if you're in a pinch, Duke's will work just fine), 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
  4. Mix yolks and added ingredients well then spoon back into the egg halves.
  5. Dust with more cayenne pepper and finely snipped chives.  Serve chilled.

How do you make the perfect hard-boiled egg? Shell out your tips in the comments.

Previously: No yolk! The best scrambled eggs

Mandy Morris is an Executive Assistant at CNN.

Posted by:
Filed under: Make • Techniques & Tips

1. Texan

WHAT ABOUT THE PICKLES!!!!! Southern Deviled eggs in my house MUST have dill relish along with them!!!! its just not the same without them :p

January 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Big TEX

Don't forget to add some Texas Grano 502 onions to the mix.

January 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
      • Texan

Nicely put

January 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  2. This Just In

This just in. "For the first time, Romney will reveal his 2010 income. And the number is likely to be big, since his net worth is estimated to be as high as $264 million." That is all.

January 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • :)

Wrong board, sorry!

January 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  3. Wally Wolf

If only we could have a good sense of humor, as desplayed here, while discussing politics. Or maybe we don't think boiling an egg is as important as choosing the leader of the free world. The way it's been going, it's probably running about the same.

January 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Sensei of Humor

Anyone today who doesn't have a sense of humor about politix is taking way too many things way too seriously. But bein's how this is a light-hearted food blog, those of us with higher I.D.'s AND a sense of humor tend to take things not-too-seriously here ...

... unless otherwise specified.

January 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  4. 4 easy steps

1. Boil the pi ss out of the eggs for 10 minutes.
    2. Crack the shells.
    3. Submerge in cold water.
    4. Peel.

January 23, 2012 at 7:46 am |
  5. John

Yuk, The Cayenne was too much and they did not taste anything like a good traditional Southern Deviled egg.

January 21, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  6. Marian Morris

This was a great article. The author is a personal favorite of mine

Fresh eggs are hard to peel, you need to use older eggs. The ones you buy at the grocery store are usually a couple of weeks old, and they mostly do fine. We, however, have chickens and collect their eggs. Before cooking, you have to let them sit in the refrigerator for a few days before boiling and peeling. As for keeping the shell from breaking while cooking, you have to let the egg get to room temperature before boiling. The salt, cold water, hot water... is variable; sometimes it works, sometimes not.

January 21, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Polly

I have hens.. lots of hens.. and I get lots of fresh eggs every day. I don't boil them when I want a hard-cooked egg. I STEAM them for 18-20 minutes. They turn out with perfect middles, no green ring, and peel just like an "old" egg.

January 26, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  7. Tracy

Ha! You are all wrong. My way is right and I'm not going tell you how. I’m keeping it to myself. LOL!!! Giggling quietly to myself.

January 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Club Fighter X

Homegirl, don't act like you're the only one who stuffs a dozen eggs in her drawers and keeps 'em there for a couple of days before cooking. Everybody knows that secret. Word is bond.....

January 22, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  8. starjewel

Okay-I didn't read all the comments, but this is how I make my hard-boiled eggs. They are always perfect, with no green, overcooked coating on the yolk (which makes a disgustingly-tinged egg salad and devilled filling): put eggs in a saucepan, cover w cold water by about 2 inches, put on high heat. When the water reaches a good rolling boil, take the pan off the heat, cover TIGHTLY, and set a timer for 14 minutes. When timer goes off, drain the eggs in a colander, and run cold water over them continuously until they are cool enough to handle. Then peel under running water, starting at the wide end. Older eggs are the best because they have the largest air spaces at the chubby end, and the shells are not as "tight".

January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  9. eggsRmylife

wow...boiling water? using a test egg? 34.6 seconds in the microwave makes the perfect egg.

January 20, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Mandy Morris

Say No to Microwaves!~

January 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  10. atx41

This is one subject that everyone seems to have an opinion on. My Mom & I usually have some kind of argument about this when I'm hope for xmas. I make the boiled eggs & if we cook them her way, it takes an hour to peel 12 eggs. The eggs I make at home are almost always easy to peel. It makes me a litle crazy. I was telling someone about this situation not too long ago & they proceeded to give me advise about how to boil eggs. The point is, we all have our own way & we believe that it's the best.

January 20, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  11. PUSH PIN

Prior to boiling take a sterilized push pin, just heat it for a few seconds with a lighter, hold egg firmly and pierce large of egg then boil. You will see small bubbles coming out of the egg as it cooks. This is the air inside the egg that forces the yoke to one end or the other. The yoke will center in the egg for the perfect deviled egg.

January 20, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  12. gc

Sorry, Mandy but your version is way too "underdone" in my book and it also wastes eggs for testing.Use eggs that hav ebeen sitting in the frig for at least 3 days. I place the eggs in cold water from the start and bring them to a boil. As soon as the water begins to boil, I remove it from the heat, place a cover on the pot, and let the egs sit in the water for 20 minutes. Then they are given a cold water bath and allowed to sit in cold water for a few minutes. The peeling is then easy, the yolks are firm but not overdone, and there is no green ring around the yolk.

January 20, 2012 at 2:56 am |
    • Valerie

AGREED! I have always done mine the exact same way and have never had a problem! : ))

January 20, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • k

what an absurd article...even for CNN.

It's not rocket science...

Put your eggs in a pot...sprinkle in some salt...take hotest tap water...fill pot so eggs are coverd...bring water to a boil (avoids splitting cold eggs in hot water)...lower temp to a "slow" boil set timer for 10-minutes.

Take them out...run them under cold water until you can hold them in your hand and eat.

End of story.

January 20, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • KEW

That's the way I've always done it. The chef's way seems much too complicated. I don't really care if the yolk is centered.

January 20, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • acm

you are totally right! this is the only way to get perfect hard boiled eggs.

January 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • ianysia

I do the same! Byt I let them sit for 8 min. instead of 20, and then put them into cold water.

January 21, 2012 at 8:31 am |
  13. peter

KOSHER salt? Really? What happens if I make it with GOY salt? WTF. Why promote your superstitions here?

January 19, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Ruth Hunter

Ummm... it has to do with measurement and preference. Kosher salt is in flakes, it measures differently than granulated salt.

January 20, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • Nunya

Different kinds of salt have different sizes of grains. Different size grains pack more or less densely into volume, so one teaspoon of different kinds of salt will be a different amount of salt. Different size grains are tasted differently by your tongue and provide different texture when used in foods. There may have been a religious recipe which went into the production of kosher salt, but there are very real differences in its use that have absolutely nothing to do with religion...

January 20, 2012 at 2:44 am |
    • Waubeeka

FWIW, Kosher salt is the salt thats used int he process of koshering meat. It's not meant to illustrate that the salt itself is kosher. It's also differenat than table salt as another writer writes. It's flakier and will disolve better so it's the preferred salt for chefs everywhere.
      You should really dial down your attack of someone when you're not really sure of their motives. Sort of makes you look stupid.

January 20, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • DutchHarvest

Koshering salt, usually referred to as kosher salt in the US, is a variety of edible salt with a much larger grain size than some common table salt. Like common table salt, kosher salt consists of the chemical compound sodium chloride.

Unlike some common table salt, kosher salt typically contains no additives such as iodine, although some brands will include anticlumping agents in small amounts.

The term "kosher salt" derives not from its being made in accordance with the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah, but rather due to its use in making meats kosher by removing surface blood. One salt manufacturer considers the term ambiguous, and distinguishes between "kosher certified salt" and "koshering salt". "Koshering salt" has the "small, flake-like form" useful in treating meat. "Kosher certified salt" is salt that has been certified as such by an appropriate religious body

January 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  14. Kent Bowen

What a bunch of work...Boiled eggs are so simple, just boil them for one minute, turn the heat off, cover for 11 minutes and, viola, perfect boiled eggs. No biggie.

January 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • my thoughts exactly

Why be so complicated? Cover egg with water, boil water, turn off burner, put lid on pot and set timer for 11 or 12 mins. When timer stops, put eggs in ice water so they stop cooking. Test egg? please. They come out perfect every time.

January 20, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  15. D.S.

In a pot large enough to cover a doz eggs by at least one inch with water bring water to a boil and then, carefully (as in using a spider or slotted spoon) lower 12 eggs into boiling water. set timer for 8 min. while waiting, prepare an ice bath to shock eggs, and a small pan (used to roll egg around to evenly crack the shell). at 8 min, remove one egg and place in ice bath for 30 sec. remove to pan and roll around to crack shell. peel egg (it should have cooled enough to touch after 30 sec in ice bath). cut in half and gauge donness of yolk. this whole precess should have taken about 1 min. repeat precess every min to find desired level of donness.

this process may result in a few eggs that are not cooked to your preference but you only have to do it once and you will forever know how long to boil egges to any level of donness that you have seen. have a guest that wants a soft boiled egg, give them an 8 min egg, med, 10-11. hard 12 min. at least thats what it is at my elevation. further, if you are at someonelses place, you dont have to worry about finding a lit to the pot or worring that they use gas/electric etc.

January 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Waubeeka

I've never liked the "put eggs in boiling water" technique becuase if you are like me, you keep your eggs in the fridge. I find that when I put cold eggs into boiling water, they crack. Similarly, waiting for eggs to come to room temperature seems like a waste of time to me.
      I like to put cold eggs in cool water and bring them up to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes then shock them. Works for large eggs every time. Jumb eggs take 12 minutes.

January 20, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  16. Laura

I use an egg cooker. The eggs are much easier to peel, even if they are brand new. I will not go back to pot boiling – I could never get easy to peel eggs! It is way easier and faster just to use my egg cooker.

January 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  17. Desertarea

An aneggdote: While in grade school in a small town most of us would walk home for lunch. I was the first of several friends to "peel" off and go into my house. On entering the kitchen one day there was a bowl of eggs sitting on the counter. On impulse, I picked up the bowl, ran outside and pelted my friends as they walked up the road. They were hardboiled eggs. Laughing, I returned to the kitchen with the bowl and heard my mother call from upstairs. She said she would be down in a minute to fix lunch.

Thinking quickly, I opened the refrigerator, took out eight eggs, put them in the bowl and left the kitchen. I listened as my mother went into the kitchen and picked up an egg and cracked it on the counter. Confused, she cracked one after another and got nothing for her efforts but a runny mess on the countertop. Completely baffled she said not a word but gave up on making egg salad sandwiches. All during lunch she kept looking over toward the bowl and the countertop.

Embarrassed, I said nothing. Sadly, I waited too long to come clean and my mother is now gone. Too bad, because she had a great sense of humor and would have loved the story. (But maybe not right when it happened.)

January 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • JFeezy

I liked this story. Nothing like making your mother think she is crazy by changing out her eggs. Have a nice day :)

January 20, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Amanda

Thank you for sharing – that's a great story! I'm sure your mom would've seen the humor in it later in life too.

January 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
  18. Desertarea

Mandy, Which came first, the article or the complaints?
    In a more serious vein, Why no recipe for Toad In A Hole as a compliment to hard boiled?

January 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  19. EB

Want perfect "boiled" eggs that are easy to peel?

Step one – as others have noted, don't use fresh eggs. Hard-to-peel is a characteristic of very fresh eggs.
    Step two- don't boil them.. The agitation of boiling leads to cracked eggs.
    Step three – use a timer Longer cooking leads to a more rubbery the white due to overcooking while waiting for the yolk to get done. Keep the water temperature just below the simmer, 180-190 °F is about perfect.. 10 min's is sufficient for a done but creamy yolk, at 15 min's the yolk will become granular. When time's up shock them in cold water to stop cooking the outer white. This will prevent a rubbery white.

As for the salt – it's useless. Yes, it raises the boiling point of water, but not by enough to be of any significance. Two tablespoons in a quart of water raise the sea level bp from 212 °F to 218 °F. See step one – you shouldn't be at boiling anyway.

January 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  20. Sandy

The reason there are so many comments about how to boil an egg is that the author's method is contrary to common practice and common sense. Bottom line: start with cold water and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Don't cook too long and rinse in cold water or you will get green rather than yellow yolks. Old eggs are easier to peel than fresh eggs. You can purchase a gadget that slips into the water with your eggs to help you tell if they are completely boiled. It changes color as the egg cooks to indicate level of hardness.

January 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Jeff

Your method will result in hard to peel eggs Sandy. The sudden shock od cold egg hitting boiling water cooks the membrane to the shell. As a result the shell literally slips off the egg (after you roll it on the counter) when you peel under running cool water. I can usually get the whole thing off in one peice.

Shocking in cold water at the end is good too, as it prevents over cooking (and the green yolks). However I prefer a bit harder egg (12 min) for my develed eggs as I like a fluffy and fully cooked yolk. Remember to adjust the time for altitude. Eggs take longer in Denver than they do in Seattle!!

You can easily prevent any cracked shells by lowering the eggs gently into the boiling water using the basket of your pasta pot.

January 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  21. CoffeeClue

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Take each egg and use a paper tack to make a small hole in the dull side of the egg. This is counter intuitive because you think the shell will crack, but if you use a sharp tack, you will only make a small hole and the shell will not crack. Make sure it's on the dull side because there is an air pocket there and no egg white will escape. Put the egg in the boiling water. You will see air bubbles escaping from the hole, thus preventing the egg from cracking. Boil for 9 minutes. Put under cold running water and immediately swish in the pot so the eggs hit the walls of the pot and crack. Make sure to keep the eggs in the water with cracked shells for a couple minutes and peel them under water. This will let the sulphur escape and will prevent the green ring around the yoke. You can experiment with boiling time, depending on how hard you want the yoke to be. I like it soft in the center, so 9 minutes is perfect for me.

January 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  22. Nate in CA

The important thing is that the Brown eggs are the Master Egg Race and are superior to all other forms of eggs. Lowly white eggs (inferior genetic material) are hardly fit for egg drop competitions, let alone eating.

January 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  23. Cynetta

Typical California yuppie-yuk, BS reccipe!!
    Put in a pot with tap water, Bring to a boill covered.
    Turn off heat. Leave covered for 15 minutes then run under cdold water to stop cook.

January 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Ken

First cook thick sliced bacon in the skillet.....then use that fat to cook the eggs

January 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
      • CoffeeClue

this makes the eggs stick to the skillet. Eggs are much better cooked in butter.

January 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  24. readallaboutit

My family favorite is soft boiled eggs (2) with buttered toast (2 pieces) cut into little cubes. Mix it all together so that the toast cubes soak up all the yolk. Salt and pepper to taste. Absolutely delicious! One more thing... the pin hole on the bottom (larger end) of the egg before cooking really works wonders.

January 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  25. Paul

I love eggs all kinds of ways & use a temperature controlled Sous Vide method (Costco has one, but is pricey).
    You can cooked eggs at a constant temperature from about 132 degrees and above, for at least 75 minutes. Their are websites that will give a picture of how each egg looks with each increase in temperature. With this method, you can have perfect "custard" type eggs, poached eggs, soft boiled, hard boiled, and anything in between. There is science behind egg cooking which can be found on the web. One site recommends vinegar to help prevent the egg from escaping a crack by denaturing the protein. The salt may have an osmotic effect that helps separate the membrane from the shell & also serves as nucleation site for boiling. Older eggs have evaporated some of their water so they separate from the shell easier....and please don't egg me on :) Happy cooking!

January 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  26. Morgan

Gah all of these deviled egg recipes that just make my head spin. I just use mayo (NO miracle whip, that stuff is evil) and a little bit of vinegar and tiny dab of mustard. I MIGHT add a little bit of sweet relish, usually I don't. Then you sprinkle with paprika and serve. I can never keep them around for the holidays when I make them. I'm usually swatting hands BEFORE the meal as they come in to sneak one or two.

January 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Wanda

Morgan,

Simply put, you have the same recipe as me and they keep asking for more.

January 19, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Sheila

Exactly, Morgan. Best, simplest recipe and I actually make extra to put out at first so I don't have to stand guard before the meal!

January 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  27. Tom R

There are a milllion way to boil a perfect egg. I just put them in cold water with a pinch of salt bring the water to a boil, Cook 10 minutes, remove from heat and submerge in Ice water. As I do not eat the yolks I am not conscerned with over cooking them just with ease of pealing them.

January 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  28. angrycurd

did CNN just post an article on HOW TO BOIL a frkken EGG??

January 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Mandy Morris

Well really the egg story came about because my mom made me hardboiled eggs my entire childhood and I have a HUGE respect for the egg. So this story is a loving homage to my favorite meal -

January 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  29. kd

my method: (which may have already been mentioned but who has the time to read all these comments?!?) place eggs in an uncovered pot with enough cold water to cover the eggs plus 1/2 to 1 inch more. Turn heat on high. When water eventually comes to a boil, let eggs boil for 2 more minutes, then cover, take off heat, and let sit for 13 minutes. Immediately put them in ice water! The slow boil allows the egg to heat up with the water, and the covering of the eggs off the heat allows them to cook slowly and thoroughly. The ice water shock immediately afterward allows the eggs to set.

Also, best to boil eggs that are just a little older. New eggs don't peel as well. Older eggs peel perfectly and the yolk rarely comes out underdone.

January 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  30. bob

Use a product called the Egg Genie. Best product for boiled eggs ever!

January 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
  31. Carl Buick

Use your oldest eggs to hardboil. They peel easier than fresh eggs. I use a teaspoon to peel the eggs. Gently tap all around the egg to crack it, then gently work the teaspoon under a crack with the concave side against the egg. Slide the spoon between the shell and the egg. Doing this under some water in a bowl makes this even easier.

January 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  32. Diego

The True Way......Boil water, remove from heat, insert eggs, cover, wait 10 minutes...The perfect egg!

January 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
  33. rocketscience

nuts!

January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  34. bill

Wow...alot of you like really overdone eggs! Start in cold water, the instant it boils remove from heat, cover for 6 min. put in ice bath to stop cooking. Anything longer than this the yolk is way too hard and flavorless.

January 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Atlanta

I think that's good.

January 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Tom from Atlanta

I agree this is the perfect way.

January 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  35. Amazed

Really!? 135 comments on how to boil an egg???

January 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • finkster

You sound a little hard boiled.

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • collins61

Eggzactly

January 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  36. mouse

All I do is boil the eggs with salt in the water, as soon as they are done I drain the water and put the whole pot under running cold water, it helps seperate the egg from the membrane, and walaa.....the easiest egg to peel......

January 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

"Walaa"? IIRC, that's spelled "voilà." HTH.

January 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
      • Kristina Erin Kaye

As long as you are checking the spelling how did you miss separate?

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
      • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

Owned. It was the egregious misspelling that leaped out at me. I stand chided. Well, sitting actually.

January 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  37. Christie

My method is simple: put the eggs in cold water, once the water comes to a boil, boil the eggs for 10 minutes (i'm not going to take the time to carefully add eggs to boiling water...I would probably just burn myself!). Boom, done. I have never used a tester egg. I usually peel them right away but, if I have more than 2-3, I will put them in cold water to stop the cookiing process. What this article doesn't point out is if the yolk has a grey-blue color on it (where the yolk meets the white), it is OVERcooked. This might be gross to some but my Dad used to make me boiled egg sandwiches for breakfast all the time when I was a kid – toast 2 pieces of bread, put a little butter on one side of each piece, slice the boiled eggs in an egg slicer (or slice thin with a knife), layer the egg slices on the bread and add salt & pepper to taste. It's delicious, I swear! *Yes, I'm passionate about boiled eggs*

January 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Nicole

I totally agree with you – it's cold water first, not boiling water as the eggs crack and leak out. I was surprised to read the article "the perfect hard-boiled eggs" with those instructions.

January 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
      • bill

Cracking will not be a problem if you do not store your eggs in the refrigerator (or take them out an hour or so before). I have never seen a need to store eggs chilled, and almost every use for an egg requires it to be at room temp before starting anyway.

January 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  38. EGG KING

If you want to see if the egg is done. Take it out of the boiling water and spin it on the counter. If it doesnt spin it is undone. If it spins without delay it is done.

Alos You can test this with an unboiled eggs. Try spining it. Then Spin the cooked eggs. There is a noticable difference

January 19, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • slimwithslimgenics

you can also put it in a bowl of soda. if it points north, it's ready.

January 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
      • Brian

Isn't that the Boy Scout's motto, "Always pack a hard boiled egg and some soda in case you get lost."

January 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Eggspert

The idea is to spin an egg on the counter and then gently stop it. Move your hand and if the egg begins to spin again, it means that the yolk inside is still runny, and moving in the spinning direction. If you spin the egg, stop it, and the egg stays still, it is done as nothing is moving inside...

January 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  39. Erlinda

Boil them till they crack. They lose the green when you mix in the mayo and other condiments!
    OR
    Put the eggs (one layer) in cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Cover. Turn off the heat. Let eggs sit for 11 minutes. Put the eggs in ice water. Peel when they are cool. Carry on with favorite deviled egg recipe. (My current favorite: Use 6 egs. Boil, etc., cut in half, scoop yolks, mash 'em, Mash 2 oz smoked salmon with a fork. Finely chop some chives, set some aside for garnish. Mix in with yolks, 2 tbl (or more to taste) room temp cream cheese, an enough mayo to make the texture you like. Sprinkle with chives. Eat and smile.

January 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • CandyBee

No, if they are green around the yolk they are overcooked. A well cooked hard boiled egg is tender all the way through, not runny, not tough, and definitely not green or blackish around the yolk.

January 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  40. Susan Blakey

I just received the best tip ever. add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the water. Start eggs in cold water. bring to a full boil. take off the fire and cover for 15 minutes. then run cold water over them for a couple of minutes. the oil penetrates the shell and settles between the shell and the cooked egg. absolutely perfectamundo!!

January 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  41. Heywood Jablowme

its boiling a friggin egg, not splitting an atom. get over yourselves.

January 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • don

Great going Haywood. At least we have taken a break from listening to all the political nuts out there. I would like to eat a good deviled egg than listen to most of them.

January 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
      • doris kline

got that right !

January 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Can't peel egg to save my life

Hey... I wish there was a "thumbs up" or a "haha Good One" button!! You made me LOL for real :)
      ps..clever name.

January 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  42. Eggmaster

Nobody has yet mentioned this old trick... For an easy peeling and crack-free egg, use a sewing needle and drill a hole in the small end of the egg before boiling. Perfect everytime.

January 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • John

Really? Cracked eggs always spill the whites into the boiling water, I can't imagine poking a hole in the shell will do any good.

January 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Bozobub

It works; the tiny hole lets no egg out, but lets water in, where it sits between the shell and egg.

January 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • jim

You are correct. It works every time, not sometimes or most of the time. I have been using a pin to make a small hole in the bottom end of the egg, and when the water is boiled I put the eggs in for 10 minutes with perfect results every time.
      After you remove the eggs place them in cold water for 1 or 2 minutes and you are good to go. They peel easy and perfect every time.

January 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm |