Hugh Acheson: Southern food, beyond the butter
January 18th, 2012

Chefs with Issues is a platform for chefs and farmers we love, fired up for causes about which they're passionate. Hugh Acheson is the chef/partner of Five & Ten and The National in Athens, Georgia and Empire State South in Atlanta, Georgia as well as a judge on the current season on Top Chef, and author of "A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen." He has a very famous unibrow.

If you search "Paula Deen" on the Google, these are some of the search suggestions that appear: riding things, recipes, furniture, cookware, meatloaf, and diabetes. I strongly recommend researching the first and last on that list because both point to the decline of Western civilization.

Let me preface this with the wish that this piece not be about maligning a personality or calling out specific dishes in a repertoire. Hopefully it is about furthering a constructive discussion to rejoice in a better Southern food.

Southern food did not make the South unhealthy, rather a broken arrow of cookery did, one that is ultra-processed, trans fat laden, lard fried, and massively caloric. That’s not how I eat and I eat Southern food pretty much every day of my life.

A number of months ago I was to pose questions and moderate a discussion with Paula Deen at a theater in Austin during the Texas Book Festival. Paula arrived shortly before the event began, while almost a thousand of her coterie sat in their seats. Two armchairs were on the stage with a stool next to Paula’s chair just in case her husband Michael wanted to join the conversation. He didn’t and it remained empty.

The event began and I starting out lofting soft balls for Paula to swing for the fences and please her amassed fandom. These folks were not there to see a strange little Canadian guy talk about the importance of your local farms and revel in the green bounty that my adopted homeplace of Athens, Georgia has to offer.

Paula talked about her history, her family, made light of herself, and chatted up her clothing line at JC Penney. There was nothing out of the ordinary and it was the sort of chat she probably does three times a week.

I then decided to ask a pertinent question, at least to me. The question was, “Do you think that Southern food has had a start and a finish or do you think it’s something that continues to evolve?”

If there ever was a moment in time where I was speaking Esperanto to the Korean grocer on the corner, this was it. Paula looked a little confused so I went on to clarify.

I talked about how we do a dish at my restaurant in Atlanta, Empire State South, conceived by Ryan Smith, the chef there. It is Carolina Middlin’ Rice Grits with Kimchi, Pork Belly and Pickled Radish. The rice grits are the broken kernels of Carolina Gold rice, which historically were an important staple of the rice workers, predominantly the Gullah population, in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. The whole kernels of rice would be exported while the broken kernels were kept by the locals and used to make porridges and paps, starches that when cooked are akin to the consistency of grits.

It is a dish that bounces between an homage to history and a celebration of the current. Its core is that very historical rice porridge, yet then it takes a current tangent and is suffused with chopped up house-made kimchi, an ode to the modern proliferation of Asian cultures in the South. Then we return to our Southern history with a small portion (two ounces) of braised and crisped local pork belly, and loop back to the world-inflected South with a simple pickle of local radishes.

It is a dish that thoroughly defines my views on the community of Southern food: Southern food is a celebration of the people within the community, using the agrarian bounty that is constantly around them. It pays homage to the past but is a constantly evolving, ebbing with the seasons and flowing with the constant progression of the South. It is a foodways that really has had a much stronger emphasis on vegetables and sides than huge portions of proteins, and one that is healthy if we show off the diversity of our crops and cooking styles.

Paula looked at me with moderate confusion and disdain and blurted out to her masses, “What’s wrong with just butter and salt in grits?”

And that’s the issue isn’t it? That is the monochrome image of Southern food, one that I am tired of challenging, a simply unhealthy version that has been pushed for decades. True Southern food is so much more than that.

The recent news about Paula’s diagnosis with type 2 diabetes should be a wake up call. What may be the most ironic twist is that she has already secured a deal with a pharmaceutical company to be a spokesperson for diabetes drugs. Here’s to hoping that well paid soapbox effects true change in how Southern food is viewed.

Paula Deen confirms that she has type 2 diabetes, unveils partnership with drug company
5@5 – Overlooked Southern ingredients
5@5 – Virginia Willis – Southern is a state of mind
Talk with your mouth full – what is Southern food?
Reclaiming the soul of Southern food
Southern food: more voices from the field

1. The Fraiche Kitchen

Reblogged this on The Fraiche Kitchen and commented:
    Let's just say from the start, great article Hugh Acheson! Having myself grown up in the South, and mostly eating fresh veggies & fruits (Is there a peach as good as a Georgia peach, because I haven't found one yet!), I'm thrilled that the concept and image of Southern food is evolving past that of grits with butter! The complexity of Southern food is entrenched in the history of the South and the influences brought from every continent. Yes, there may be great satisfaction in the simplicity of a vegetable or fruit in it's pure, raw form, just like a good peach. But true Southern food is an experience that is a rich, diverse, and sensory exploration, one that should not be reduced to boring due to a lack of imagination or respect for its origins.

October 10, 2014 at 6:39 pm |
  2. Mary Thomas

Im impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog thats both educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I'm very happy that I came across this during my search for something concerning this.

June 22, 2014 at 12:06 am |
  3. Alanna_Russell

I feel it is the outsiders dissolution of Southern food into its unhealthiest and easiest elements, that has made broader society see Southern food as unhealthy with a focus on butter and salt.

April 4, 2014 at 1:25 pm |
  4. Fitness Events 2014

Northern, southern, western, or eastern food can all lead to problems. K in Philly is right! "A typical American lifestyle of very little exercise, be it walking anywhere or at the gym, then calories need to be restricted ... and if you can only eat 1800 calories/day, you can't spare 500 of them for something that isn't very nutrient dense like a SMALL portion of cheesy buttery grits.
    Small portion's people!

January 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
  5. K in Philly from

"Traditional Southern food", like traiditional Pennsylvania farm food and traditional New York farmers food, etc etc is made for people who are burning a lot more calories than the average American does today .. which is why an active high schooler who's involved in sports (or ballet!) every day does fine eating it .... but once you settle into a typical American lifestyle of very little exerciese, be it walking anywhere or at the gym, then calories need to be restricted ... and if you can only eat 1800 calories/day, you can't spare 500 of them for something that isn't very nutrient dense like a SMALL portion of cheesey buttery grits.

On the other hand the Southern tradition of cooking greens with pork fat is VERY healthy – the body needs fat with the greens to be able to absorb the nutrients from the greens ... and traditional diets around the world have alway combined fat with vegetables. Much better to spend 100 calories on butter or bacon fat with your veggies than on an empty calorie processed snack marked "100 calorie pack".

December 6, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  6. Hair bear

Hey Paula! Love your show,sorry to hear about your illness. Hope you will continue to entertain us! Just gear your show to cooking for people who are diabetic! Why not we all could learn ah healthier way of cooking things! Let the other guys on the Food Channel cook the bad stuff! I'm ah true Fan!

January 21, 2012 at 12:07 am |
  7. DMW

Yes, Southern food, like any cuisine, will continue to evolve. The cultural influences are numerous–Native American, Scottish, African, English, French, etc. Technology, culture, globalism, media–all of these factors have contributed to the ever changing Southern cuisine. Edna Lewis has contributed greatly to our understanding of folk traditions in Southern cuisine and even her definition of Southern food expanded to include foods and ingredients that weren't indigenous to the South, e.g. her famous Coconut Lane Cake. Paula Deen's lens into Southern cuisine definitely reflects more of a globalized, mass-produced, convenience oriented approach. She uses a lot of processed foods and an abundance of sugars, animal proteins and other ingredients that weren't so readily available 50 – 100 years ago. Compare a Paula Deen cookbook to The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery. Even though both cookbooks are rooted in Georgia, the food and techniques are vastly different. Can Southern food be healthy? Well of course it can, depending on which paradigm of Southern food we are talking about. Edna Lewis describes in her cookbook The Taste of Country Cooking that fried chicken was reserved for special occassions (if you're raising your own chickens, can one really afford to slaughter enough chickens for every day of the week, or even enough for several days a week?). The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery has an abundance of traditional recipes that feature plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, game, etc. However, if you're definition of Southern food is referenced from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible then you'll find a more Americanized approach (convenience foods, processed, high in carbs, sugars, etc) with an abundance of fats added, such recipes include "Sweet Saltines with Bacon", "Sour Cream, Bacon and Split Pea Soup", "Butter Burgers", etc. I wish Paula Deen all the best. She seems like a great lady, a wonderful mother and wife, a warm and genuine person. I would love to see her take an approach to Southern cusine that really gets to the roots, it's history, agriculture and sustainable, common-sense approach to living in the South.

January 20, 2012 at 8:13 am |
  8. Emma

What's bad about Southern Food is all of the starch. If you go to a typical southern food restaurant you will most likely be offered a choice of biscuits, mac and cheese, fried chicken, waffles, grits, bacon, ham, cornbread, white bread, ribs collard greens, pickles and corn. The only healthy food on the menu is the collard greens, Some restaurants here in the South do serve a type of stew that seems relatively healthy but your typical southern food is too starchy and high in fat and sodium. We really only need a diet of unprocessed vegetables, fruits, whole grains and a little bit of lean meat to stay healthy. A lot of Americans would rather eat bad, get fat, sick and die early than to eat healthy and exercise. And that is why we have a nation full of diabetics.

January 20, 2012 at 2:27 am |
  9. M

You don't get diabetes from eating natural, saturated fat. Or heart disease.

Bicuits, grits, rolls, dressing, potatoes, rice, cornbread, pies, cakes, on and on... This AND the volume it is consumed in is where the real blame lies.

So lard me up, and give me a slab of wonderful fatty pork and mustard greens, but keep the Crisco and Martha White to yourself.

January 20, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Antonio

Lol M. Thats hella funny bruh.

January 20, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • jsoleil

Sorry but it is a big lie that fat plays no part in diabetes...I have relatives who have passed with the disease and relatives with it now. Of course fat plays one role in the triad of carbs,sugar and unhealthy fat.

And it is also a big lie as Paula has professed that somebody in her physical state can have a piece of cake but not the whole cake. Sorry need to change your diet when you are morbidly obese as you are and you need to maybe at best have one small piece of cake a month..not a day. Taking a pill isn't going to change that.

Bourdain was right..she is the most dangerous woman in America.

January 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
  10. Ben Bailey

Nice biased choice of answers for the poll.
    Gotcha journalism as usual. "Are you still beating your wife" from CNN.... Where's the answer "It can be as healthy or as unhealthy as any regional food".

Do you think Southern food can be healthy?
    No, which is why I eat it in moderation (Note: it's unhealthy)
    No, and I stay away from it (Note: it's unhealthy)
    Yes, if it's done right (Note: it's unhealthy unless prepared in some unspecified way)
    Yes, but it just isn't as good (Note: it's unhealthy, unless you make it not-southern)
    Other (please share below)

January 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  11. John

All four of my grandparents were born in Virginia in the 1890s and lived long lives. One of my grandmothers cooked on a wood stove because she preferred it to the electric range she had for canning during the summer. We ate lots of vegetables, but most of them were cooked with bacon grease or a piece of meat to give them some flavor. They raised hogs, raised chickens, ate squirrel, churned butter, fried everything and also had 1500 apple trees they worked themselves. And a new Olds every 3 or 4 years. My other grandparents were farmers too and worked sunup to sundown.

My point? You can eat any way you like when you are that physically active. You need the calories. You keep the spring flowing cleanly, keep the generator going for power at night or burn kerosene, prune trees, mow under them, place limb supports, and on and on. It was a great life. One grandfather died at 91, but that was from a jaw cancer that everybody said made him look like he was still chewing tobacco. He'd quit 40 years earlier.

I grew up in the D.C. suburbs. You can't eat like that if you're not active, trust me. We tried. I'd like to be able to eat fried pork chops twice a week and six pieces of bacon every morning. And sausage. And fried ham. I'm serious. There weren't any fat people in my family until we moved to the city. Fwiw, I'm 61 and my father was 89 when he died last year of kidney failure.

January 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Tuffsista

I agree with what you're saying here. Just analyzing the food alone isn't looking at the entire picture. My grandparents who lived on a farm ate a regualr diet of wonderful Southern foods and lived to ripe old ages. I love the food, but can only eat it once a week because I don't get enough exercise : )

January 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  12. minavaan

Here's a yummy recipe for you:

January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  13. Crowe03

Ive read these comments and the comments attached to the article about Paula being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and they're very sad. Generations from my grandparents back fried everything in pure lard, ate eggs everyday, used pure butter, seasoned food with salt, and did things that would make any cardiologist cringe. They ate no different than then food she prepares on FoodNetwork. They were healthy. The difference is they didnt stay on the couch 12+ hours in a day, they worked the land, picked cotton or what have you from daylight till dark. No one should expect any less when you eat 20,000 calories and stay in front of the computer or video game. Im not a Paula Deen fan and everyone is entitled to thier opinion but dont totally blame her for obesity and sickness in the US.

January 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Ben Newton

What is it about all these liberals that make them want to tell you how to live your life.

What to eat, what to wear, who to vote for, what kind of car you should drive, how much money you should make ( not too much ), what you should think about the environment, what books to read, what shows to watch, what movies are great and how to raise your kids.

January 19, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
      • Emma

That is just a very dumb comment! What has being a liberal got to do with this subject? Why do conservatives want everyone to be lazy minded and pray for God solve every problem under the sun? Information allows us to solve our own problems and if liberals put out good information about health and science the I say, awesome. Gee, I want to be skinny. Should I pray to God to make me skinny?, I don't think so. Why? Because finding out what foods can make me fat and sick (thanks to research and science) I can avoid these foods and I make myself skinny. Don't believe me? Try reading "Younger Next Year" by Chris Crowley and Harry Lodge, M.D. After reading it even you will understand why Paula Deen got Diabetes.

January 20, 2012 at 2:06 am |
      • Matt should know better than to quote science to a conservative wack job....come on now. The earth is only 6000 years old and women were created from the rib bone of a man. The Bible says so! It MUST be true. Science, Schmience.....ROFL!!

January 20, 2012 at 10:16 am |
      • Minnie

Liberals want to tell you what to do?? Every Republican candidate is in favor of state control over the most personal decisions of our lives.

January 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  14. elizabeth

To those who think southern food can't be made healthy – it can be. You just have to put a little thought into it. And it can taste just as good. You just have to get an alternative fat source that is healthier, use less of it, and use alternative spices to replace the salt. I do it every day! Saying southern food is so ignorant, that I can now understand why people can't seem to get healthy and stay fit. They are lazy. Pure and simple laziness. It's easy and fun to come up with new alternative recipes that taste just as good. Like i said, put a little thought into it!

January 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Ben Newton

You people talk about Southern food as if the only selections are buttered biscuits, chickened fried steak, grits ( which are very healthy – they are ground corn for you folks that don't know) and fried chicken.

This is something you prejudiced types want to believe and just because that fat obnoxious Paula Deen pushes it, doesn't mean for a minute that the majority of us do.

I had a delicious salad last night with buttered lettuce, tomatoes, celery, sauteed chicken breasts and a vinaigrette, tonight I had sauteed salmon on top of a cauliflower puree.

I live in the deep. deep south. We eat well, I have never had a chickened fried steak in my life and haven't had fried chicken since I was 17 years old and my mother cooked it for the family. I'm 56 as of yesterday.

Should we assume all people from Michigan are fat because Michael Moore is? Should we assume that all people from Pennsylvania are sodomites because Jerry Sandusky is? Should we believe that all Hollywood stars are drug addicts because Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Tom Sizemore, Lindsey Lohan, Chris Farley, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Heath Ledger, Brittany Murphy, and River Phoenix are or were? I don't think so, except for that Hollywood bit.

January 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
      • Matt

Wow Ben. You are Bat $h!t Crazy man......

January 20, 2012 at 10:18 am |
      • Ana

Facts are facts. We don't have to assume the South has the largest obesity problem, in practically every study of the top ten, 80% of the states come from the South! I grew up in the deep South. It is a problem. If you want to politicize which group of people make claims, at least liberals are identifying problems and suggesting solutions...

January 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
      • Fig

January 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  15. Dennis

Any cuisine, when cooked properly with a balanced focus on health and flavor, can be wonderful to experience. The problem with Southern food isn't necessarily the cuisine but the people cooking it. Paula Deen is sadly a prime example. She knows she's overweight and she knows she a diabetic, both of which can kill her, yet she displays no interest in resolving her problem. She continues to use butter, salt, and sugar like there's no tomorrow. Deep fry this, smother that with Velveeta – It's no wonder she's not healthy. The sad part of it is that she and her followers salute the "In moderation" flag and use that as their excuse to continue their unhealthy lifestyle. Eating the trans fat, saturated fat, high sodium, processed ingredient food she and her fans prepare when you're in full blown type 2 diabetes, or hypertension, or heart disease – take your pick; and then saying "It's ok as long as it's in moderation" is no different than saying, "Russian roulette in moderation is not a problem". I'm sorry but Paula and the people like her, regardless of what poison they choose, deserve what they get. What Southern food needs is an advocate to stand up and show the world that this cuisine can be healthy and taste phenomenal. So far, all I've seen is nothing more than "I'll keep my butter and bacon fat – thank y'all very much". Here's to hoping people wake up.

January 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • bryce

All these people so concerned about what other people eat. How ridiculous. BTW – if you think that Paula Deen represents what people eat in the South, you are sadly mistaken. It is interesting how people love to jump on the bandwagon and embrace such stereotypes. We are as diverse in the south as you are any where else in the US. We have great foods here, great cooks, like every other place in the US. If you want to find a small sample to make a stereotypical point, you can do it very easily, here and other areas too.

January 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
      • Allison

Actually, diabetes is becoming an epidemic in the country, one that costs you in terms of allocated government funds and rising health insurance premiums. Everyone should care.

January 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  16. Bryce

It is what it is. No one forces you to go to McDonald's or to watch Paula Deen or to cook her foods. It's an individuals choice and if they prefer to eat a lot of fat, gain weight, get diabetes, that is their choice, not yours. That reminds me of an old southern saying," Mind your own phuquing business, dork."

January 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • TSRVT

Fine – but a BMI cap on medicare patients then.

January 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
      • Dean

And raise the premiums of private insurance base upon BMI. Put smoking in there also.

January 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
1 2 3
| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 9,987 other followers