Papa John's "extremely concerned to learn of the receipt" with racial slur
January 9th, 2012

Papa John's Pizza fired a cashier at one of its New York restaurants and apologized to an Asian-American customer for a receipt that identified her as "lady chinky eyes."

"We were extremely concerned to learn of the receipt issued in New York," the company said in a statement posted on its Facebook page Saturday.

Minhee Cho, a communications manager at nonprofit investigative journalism group ProPublica, posted a photo of the receipt on her Twitter account Saturday morning and by the afternoon it was picked up by a local newspaper.

Along with the receipt, Cho tweeted "just FYI my name isn't 'lady chinky eyes.'"

Read the full story - "Papa John's apologizes for receipt's racial slur"

Posted by:
Filed under: News

1. Idiots missing the joke

the term is used for someone who is stoned on weed, thats why they were ordering that crap...cheech and chong started it in the 70s...hey man you got chinese eyes...now chink eyes...big deal....

June 21, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  2. Charlton Heston

Soylent Green is people.

June 21, 2013 at 6:41 am | Reply
  3. Edwin

Wow, who dug this story out of the grave?

June 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  4. Steves

I bet she'll love you long time.

June 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Reply
    • Nero

That's without a doubt the most intelligent and original joke I've ever heard.

June 21, 2013 at 2:06 am | Reply
  5. Nanson Hwa

It can presumed that the cashier that issued the receipt was a long nosed round eyed pale face.

June 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  6. required

I HAVE never seen so much immaturity in one place in my life. We should all respect each other for who we are and respect those things that make us different from one another for we are all human beings. Have you ever wondered what would happen if instead of teaching hate,we taught tolerance. This world would be a better place for everyone.

June 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Reply
    • Steves

You haven't been around much, then.

June 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  7. WChase

I guest its ok in todays society to call someone a racial charge name. Racism in America has not changed it started with hiring minorities and not it reverved back to racial name calling written or verbal. It nothing funny about prejudice and discrimination.

June 19, 2013 at 9:53 am | Reply
  8. Jonathan

I think people need to grow up and stop being so freaking offended at humor! People these days are way too serious and hyper-paranoid about being "politically-correct" it sickens me. It's no wonder America leads the world in cases of anxiety and depression. Have we forgotten how to laugh and take a joke?!?!?

June 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Reply
    • donnie

uh the thing is the lady in question was just there to get food.....not to be insulted... so yea i think the reaction by the media is right on.
      its one thing to insult someone nut its another to make it raschial it hurts when someone calls you something rachial and it hurts worse when you dident do anything to deserve it.

June 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Reply
      • hibbitybippipityboop

racial*
        if your gonna try to sound smart, next time, pay attention to the AUTOMATIC spell check.

June 18, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Reply
        • seedot

*you're. It's even worse correcting someone else's grammar when you can't get it right yourself!

June 19, 2013 at 7:35 am |
    • Mark H

This is just more lack of respect for customers. Retail and service workers these days dont' seem to understand where their money comes from. My response? I make my own pizza. It's easy, much cheaper and better than Papa John's. No one expects a tip either!

June 19, 2013 at 9:14 am | Reply
  9. Name (required)

Lady is a prestigious title conveyed to a woman who knows where to find a proper customer comment venue , not a "name". #FYI

June 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  10. AnyandEeveryone

People do and say dumb sh*t all the time. I didn't even go to Kindergarden and I know that it's bad manners to call people names. Immaturity is probably a factor here. Understandably, the woman was shocked and insulted by the name calling, so she went and tattled on Twitter! This is America and we are NOT perfect. Racism and sh*t like that is obviously very familiar here. By the way;Asian people do it too. I have to aknowledge that. It does not suprise me that this happened in New York. it's New York, not Perfect York... We are still adolescent in our delvelopment. elementary my friends, elementary. I'm going to finish my fried chicken and waffles now. I eat that kind of sh*t cause you know, im southern. FYI: I'm not even kidding. It's so funny how people react to other peoples cultural habits, foods, and traditions. It's all-American, which is to say that it is a little bit of everything mixed in togeather. We are all in this togeather. Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight.lol...

January 16, 2012 at 10:21 am | Reply
    • alsdk

shut up stupid dumb ass southern hick. see? im not perfect so why don't you just shut the hell up? I haven't had the education you speak of so 'excuse' my ignorance you dumb stupid redneck. See? I haven't been educated so what the fck you going to do about it? EXCUSE IT. Now shut the hell up and excuse my ignorance.

May 28, 2013 at 11:20 am | Reply
      • none of your buisness

stfu I'm from the south to so u can stick it up you're ass

June 19, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Reply
    • Bob Barker

Weil HAWT DAYUM! Jes keep eatin' them waffles and that friiiiiied chickn' while you watch HeeHaw! WHOOOOOWHEEEEE!

June 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • Unphukwitable

Someone Must of Dropped You On Your Head 1 Too Many Times , I Wish You Were Standing In Front Of Me Making Stupid Racial Remarks. Long Story Short , I'd be Going To Jail For Assault... Lol

June 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Reply
        • lol

must have* or must've*

July 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm |
  11. BruceMan

I can't believe some of the ignorant comments that actually say that this type of employee behavior is OK and the customer is overreacting. Calling an Asian 'chinky' is like calling a black person the "N" word. Is that OK?

January 10, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Reply
    • Josh

And yet you write ch#### and abbreviate the "N" word.

June 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Reply
      • Some Steven

Possibly because there is more than one major curse word that starts with C?

June 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  12. Grandpa RD

Thinking about this situation, I came up with what the employee SHOULD have put on the receipt instead of lady chinky eyes... Fish Head!

THAT way, she could have apologized her way out of this by explaining she mixed up an order. LOL!

January 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Reply
  13. Grandpa RD

When ordering a pizza and the clerk asks for my name, I always tell them it's "Nikolas Ianouranoupoupoulous" LOL! After a few moments of silence, I just tell them to use "Nick". (Thanks, Sandy Duncan!)

January 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  14. The Reverend

Better "Lady Chinky Eyes" than "Lady Chunky Thighs", I'm thinkin'.

January 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  15. notsopc

Sorry, but I've been called a lot of things, and lady chinky eyes would not have been the worst by a long shot. Are we maybe perhaps way too sensitive in this country? Even the lady in question didn't think the issue was worth being swarmed by reporters...

January 10, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
  16. mamagirl

I like this pizza but its a little expensive for me :p but this girl was probably having a bad day and wanted to laugh a little. She probably got caught up in her work and didn't take back her mistake hehe.

January 10, 2012 at 3:20 am | Reply
  17. manroundeyes

Lady chinky eyes...Wow! Havent laughed so hard in years.

January 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Reply
    • Neuter rhomboid ears

lol great nickname

June 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Reply
  18. Evil Grin

How much easier would it have been to write "Asian Lady" if all you were going for is a brief description. Or, you know, leaving it blank.

It's sad this employee resorted to a racial slur. I'm not sure it should cost him his job, though. We're all too quick to demand a person's job for any little thing these days. Racism is most definitely NOT a little thing, but what good is automatically firing him really going to do? He does need consequences, but isn't taking away his lively-hood a little extreme? Maybe suspending him for a week or two would do the trick, or some sort of sensitivity course or something. Something that would let him know his behavior was not acceptable, but give him a second chance to get it right.

January 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
    • mirwin

Firing might be the only way this person will learn anything. I have my doubts, because if you are not smart enough that you put that on a customer's receipt, you may never learn.

January 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
      • Meth Addict

That's total BS. How can you know what you don't know? The employee should have been reprimanded, instructed as to why it was wrong, not fired. If it happends again, can the little bast ard.

January 11, 2012 at 7:31 am | Reply
  19. hamsta

When is it going to be racism when someone calls me honkey,cracker,gringo,whitey,casper,paleface or any of the other names they call white people?

January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • CN Red

It IS racist when someone calls you those names.

January 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Reply
      • All White All The Time

Except we don't have the NAACP, Al Sharpton & Jessie Jackson on our side to defend our right to the spotlight ... wait ... that's not what that's supposed to .... aw never mind.

January 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Reply
        • Little Nickey

you don't need the NAACP or Jesse Jackson because you haven't been systematically oppressed idiot! At any rate as a biracial person I don't want them representing me. I am the TRUE AMERICAN! Bow down! *hope you caught the sarcasm*

June 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • Grandpa RD

Can't help but wonder if the owner or manager of this store had lady chinky eyes too and took offense. THAT makes sense because the young girl got fired. This is a blatant case of shoddy management in my opinion. She should have been taken out back and beaten half to death with a salami or pepperoni log. THAT at least would have satisfied the brain-dead who can't comment themselves out of a wet paper bag!

January 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Reply
  20. Truth™

I think that anyone dumb enough to put this on a receipt deserves to lose their job. I hope they will learn from it. I am sure it was some young'un who was acting the fool

The KFC near my office asks for a name when I place an order, and I usually try to give something odd like Lou Reed, John Lennon or Bono. Half the time, the clerk has no clue.

January 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Personally, I think it's funny. But I know because of your wife you do not. I get that way about Mexicans. I have 6 half Mexican sisters, I get a little sensitive about Mexican jokes.

Also, I prefer "Ralph" for an alias

January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  21. BlueDestiny

Not the restaurant's fault, other than a duty to terminate the worker promptly. I'm not a big fan of charging nonsense with hate crimes, but I'd sure be in favor of a related fine/ticket, say on the order of 4 months pay.

January 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Reply