Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches - an Iowa tradition
January 3rd, 2012

Romney, Bachmann, Santorum and the rest of the '12 class of G.O.P. hopefuls (along with the attendant hordes of media folk) have descended upon Iowa to make pals with the caucusing public over pork products and pancakes. A diner is a fine place for these aspiring candidates to chow down with the hoi polloi, but if they really wanted to show the locals that they're not just flying by, they'd have made right for a Maid-Rite.

Since 1926, Iowans have been feasting on the the iconic "loose meat" sandwich, invented by Muscatine, Iowa butcher Fred Angell. Angell began franchising the idea throughout the Hawkeye State under the name "Maid-Rite" after a delivery man he'd drafted to taste his creation purportedly said, "You know, Fred, this sandwich is just made right."

Whether or not the legend is entirely accurate, one thing isn't in dispute: Iowans' fierce adherence to tradition. For 85 years, the chain, which also has locations in Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio, has stuck by its signature blend and grind of Midwestern beef and spices, left unformed and piled onto a bun - often described as being akin to a sloppy joe, minus the sauce. It's not pretty, but the iconic sandwich is popular enough to inspire at least one franchise to offer shipping to hungry Iowa expats.

And, for the first time in its 78 years of its existence, in 2006 the Marshalltown, Iowa outpost, Taylor's Maid-Rite allowed ketchup to be served on their sandwiches for the first time. Cheese made an incursion in 2007. Loyalists were wounded to the core, calling for boycotts and organizing Facebook groups like "Taylor's Maid-Rite does not care about Tradition..." where sentiments like "Ketchup as we all know is an abomination!" and "I cannot stand institutions that are stand fast on their policies only to change them to appease a few," abounded.

The Maid-Rite way fell further into jeopardy when the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals told the Taylor's franchise that it needed to change its signature process for preparing meat, which involved proximity of ground and raw meat, potentially resulting in cross-contamination. While parent company, the Maid Rite Corporation, agreed with the regulation, owner Don Taylor Short said he'd rather close the restaurant than change the way his family had been making the sandwiches for nearly 80 years.

According to a spokesperson from the Maid Rite Corporation, the franchise did eventually upgrade its cookers, but in the interim, watchdog publication Food Safety News reports that their business continued to boom because, "Many now stop in at the 'Marshalltown tradition' because they oppose 'government over-regulation.'"

Ron Paul? Your table is waiting.

1. Berk Demirbulakli

I love putting loose meat in my mouth!

June 30, 2014 at 11:05 am | Reply
  2. Fine steak

👏

May 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I had loose meat a few times. I never called them back.

January 18, 2013 at 10:25 am | Reply
  4. Jed

These things are great! But they don't look anything like the picture. Maid-Rite has tried to cut back on the grease but that is the best part. Now you have to order it "wet" to get the delicious grease and soggy bun. With a frosty mug of Root Beer nothing says traditional food from Muscatine.

January 18, 2013 at 10:21 am | Reply
  5. Myto Senseworth

...and we want the government to more regulation??????? They hire the least informed people they can to work for too much tax money just to so called regulate. Government regulation....a bad joke

January 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Reply
  6. Myto Senseworth

"In close proximity to ground and raw meat potentially resulting in cross-contamination" This is assuming the ground/raw meat is contaminated. If they have done this for 80 years then someone must know how to handle and grind the beef. My grandmother was a chef. She fed me raw meat that she personally inspected and ground. I or anyone else that ate the raw meat did not ever have ill effects. The inspectors don't know a thing about food preparation. They need to close down most of the McDonalds and leave a talented restaurant owner alone. (Maybe they should go to work with the TSAs if they are this paranoid) I would eat there and the next time I am up their way, I will.........

January 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  7. hmmm

Huh. I make these at home when I'm feeling particularly lazy;we call them scramblurgers and my son loves them better than almost anything. I never knew it was an official Thing.

January 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Reply
  8. Guest

I vote loosemeat sandwiches

"Loosemeat" is also the nickname we have for your mom

January 5, 2012 at 9:47 am | Reply
  9. Brian K

A Maid-Rite with bacon, pickle and mustard. So delish!

January 5, 2012 at 5:12 am | Reply
  10. B Childs

Before I moved to Iowa, in Macomb IL these were served at school as "steamburgers" – not the best name and likely seasoned differently, but easy to prepare by the kitchen staff. I liked them and looked forward to them (at 13 years of age) then encountered the real Maid-Rite a few years later – your condiment choices were mustard and pickle relish. Maid-Rite in Muscatine also made the best hand scooped milkshakes I have ever had. Don't know how things are now, but hope there is still some authenticity remaining

January 5, 2012 at 3:24 am | Reply
  11. Bub

Nothing beats Taylor's. I remember Mr Taylor telling people they did not need catsup when they asked. The only way to eat them is with everything (salt, pepper, opion, pickle, and mustard) and a chocolate shake. I will be stopping on my way by next week. The fun part is you may not get to sit mext to the people you are with if it is busy so you might meet someone new.

To all of you saying it looks plain, that's the beauty if it. Food does not have to be gourmet (aka too much garlic and overpriced). You get to taste the food, not the sauces and spices used to cover up the cheap cut of meat and inflate the price.

January 5, 2012 at 2:05 am | Reply
  12. jimbo

I have lived in Marshalltown for 23 years, not quite half of my life. I was born and raised in Ottumwa Iowa and the Canteen Lunch in the Alley is the best loose meat sandwich on the planet. Both diners are institutions in their respective cities. The other little secret about the Canteen sandwiches is they are almost twice the size of the Maid Rites and maybe a few cents cheaper in price. To the jealous Texans who have to brag about 14 hour BBQ processing, go to Kansas city where they actually know how to BBQ.

January 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Reply
    • Jimbo2

This "loose meat" mess looks really boring. I was born in Iowa but moved with family when I was about 4 or 5. I cook a lot of Italian and a lot of other types of food. I would never serve something like this.

January 5, 2012 at 1:15 am | Reply
      • jimbo

I have to admit the photo in this story is about as unappetizing as all the political survey calls we have been getting for the last couple of months here in Iowa. The photo of that Maid Rite looks more like card board than food. Trust me, a Canteen sandwich is a very good meal. Maid Rite's are second place but still better than the photo looks.

January 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Reply
    • Sir Biddle

Grew up near Ottumwa and Canteen Burgers are a must have when I go home to visit my parents. One with extra everything, then a reorder. Bonus if you are there during a "grease out!"

January 5, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
  13. Tim

The loose meat sandwich. . . a perfect example of northern life: plain ground hamburger with salt & pepper on a bun! Here in Texas we slow cook spice-rubbed brisket for 14 hours over hickory, chop it, put it on a bun & serve it with spicy BBQ sauce, onions, jalapenos, etc. The sandwich analogy applies to the difference in the women, also.

January 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
    • NORTHERNER

If you had good meat like we do in the midwest, it wouldn't take 14 hours to get tender, much like your women.

January 4, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Reply
    • Amy Spadoni

Actually, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Also, cook with a ton of white onion. Why would you bash something you never tried?

January 5, 2012 at 2:28 am | Reply
      • Tim

I've tried them. They're actually pretty good with a lot of hot sauce. I still will take a bbq brisket sandwich over them anyday.

January 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Step 5:

Then mate with your cousin and her goat while you wait.

January 18, 2013 at 10:27 am | Reply
  14. From Eastern Iowa

May I just say...
    those of you judging the looks of this sandwich and how tasty it would or would not be by looking at the picture posted, that is not a Maid-Rite. I have never in my life seen a Maid-Rite with a perfectly formed bun and meat somehow magically held within the confines of said bun.
    A Maid-Rite is so disgustingly smothered by grease and juices in the beef the bun is soggy and mis-shappen, this my friends is where the deliciousness come from. Yes I said it is delicious after having said it is disgustingly smothered...
    For you trolls...no I am not a fat slob who eats many meals a week at Maid Rite, one Cheese-Rite with mustard, ketchup, and pickles every couple of months is good enough for me...and it is always a completely greasy mess eaten with the plastic spoon it is served with.

January 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

Yeah, I can't believe that people are commenting on the taste from looking at the picture. Apparently, Microsoft has come up with some sort of browser plug-in that I'm not aware of that allows flavors to be transmitted over the internet.

January 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  15. us1776

"Loose meat". Is that what they call these GOP clowns out there?

"Loose cannons" might be better.

January 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  16. Marie

I'm from Cedar Rapids, and I absolutely love maidrites..delicious!!

January 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  17. Marcia

Jon–Sweet corn is not used in ethanol.

January 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Reply
  18. 17701774

That looks disgusting.

January 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  19. pjones

I don't get it, what's the difference between this and a Nu-Way?

January 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  20. Jax

Nice to know that even traditions that have nothing to do with politics, bring out the haters. I was born and raised in western/central Illinois, otherwise known as the Quad Cities, and grew up on Maid Rites. It was a treat when the family would go there. Onion Rings, a Cheese Rite and a rootbeer. My uncle who lives in Oklahoma always stops at the Maid Rite when he comes into town, and before my father died, he and my mother would eat there as soon as they entered Moline on their trip back from Florida.

As for those of you that think it's gross, don't eat it, and quit marrying food to politics. Iowa and or Illinois is no worse a state than any other in the Union, and realize that your snotty 2 cents have depreciated over the years.

January 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Reply
  21. Brian

Thought that was just in Roseanne, who knew? As gross as it looks I'm sure it's better than Primanti's sammiches, the most overrated peices of crap on this planet.

January 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  22. sosofresh

Educate me on these things... is it like a sloppy-joe, but with no sauce? How does the meat stay in place without the sauce? I'm mad at myself for remembering this, but there was a season or two of that show "Roseanne" where they ran a loose-meat sandwich place. Just a little bit of fun, loose-meat sandwich trivia.

January 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

is it like a sloppy-joe, but with no sauce?

Basically, yes. The meat is seasoned when cooked.

How does the meat stay in place without the sauce?

It doesn't. They are a bit messy to eat.

January 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Reply
      • Marcia

Maid-rites are served with a spoon on the side. A good sandwich is juicy so smashing the sandwich a bit with your hand helps; but it does take both hands to eat. The non-trademarked sandwich is called a beefburger. It had to be described as loose meat to not be confused with a burger patty.

January 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Reply
    • kasey

It wasn't just a scene or two on Rosanne, it was a season or two. And why are you ashamed to remember that? Funny show. Looks like a sloppy joe without the sauce to me, and looks yummy. Wish we had them where I live.

January 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • Amy Spadoni

cooked with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. I add a large white onion to mine. This meat is also great on a salad. You really would not believe how good they are. I am from Iowa and my health nut California husband LOVES this. Hence how I learned it is also good on a salad!

January 5, 2012 at 2:33 am | Reply
  23. lumburger

Only one reply was relevant to this article, it was from the person who posted the actual recipie... Good for you.
    Anyway we used to have Lum's restaurants in South Florida oh 40 years ago and they had Lumburgers, they were like loose meat sandwiches, never could find a recipie for those sandwiches we loved soooo much.

January 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Reply
    • Tony Baloney

I thought a 'loose-meat sandwich' was some kind of s e x act.

January 4, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
    • CN Red

Since you did not post a recipe as well does that mean your comment is not relevant to the article as well? ;)

January 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  24. Maid-Rite Lover

I grew up on these in Southern Illinois. If someone can tell me which franchise ships, I would be in hog heaven!

January 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

Check either of the Maid-Rite websites linked to in this article. They ship.

January 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Reply
    • yum

I know the Maid-Rite in Marshalltown Iowa ships. It's called Taylors Maid-Rite. http://maidrite.com/

January 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Reply
  25. Jeann

A loose meat sandwich....ha!
    You Americans have such undeveloped and unsophisticated tastes...

January 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Linda

It looks gross to this particular American.

January 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Reply
      • Lance

Ground hamburger is gross to you? I'm sorry...

January 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Reply
    • Rochelle

Good grief. Sophisticated taste??? Try it before you scoff please.

January 6, 2012 at 3:33 am | Reply
      • Rochelle

Meant to say "Unsophisticated taste?" Sophisticated is in the eye/ scent/ taste of the beholder, taster, etc. Your "sophistication", dare I say, snobbish tendencies are showing.

January 6, 2012 at 3:37 am | Reply
  26. SilentBoy741

Never heard of it. Up 'til now, a loose meat sandwich just described my ex on a Saturday night.

January 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Reply
    • Loose Lips

... Pamela Anderson

January 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
    • Fiona

Bada-bing!

January 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Reply
    • SilentBoy741

I'm just kidding here. I love my ex; but then again - who hasn't?

January 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  27. YouGottaBeKiddingMe!

Almost two hundred comments on an article about a pile of scrambled hamburger on a bun? It MUST BE a slow news day, and an even slower work day for all the people reading and writing about this crap idea of a sandwich (and I know, I'm contributing to the lunacy). I gotta hope Iowa has something better to offer that a) the caucuses or b) the maid-rite.

January 4, 2012 at 11:08 am | Reply
    • *

meh...

January 4, 2012 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Fiona

I came on here thinking it was too good a setup for a joke to resist, but then I saw that people were waxing lyrical about ground meat on a white bun. Weird.

January 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  28. Larry

I absolutely love Maid Rites and try and stop every time we go through that way. My wife doesn't understand it. I have lived all over and this stacks right up there with other Regional delicacies I love including – Philly Cheesesteaks, KC BBQ, North Carolina BBQ (vinegar based)!

January 4, 2012 at 10:54 am | Reply
  29. Conrad Shull

As with most regional sandwiches of this sort, taste is only part of their popularity. Almost all of these types of fare can be improved in flavor one way or another by varying how they are made (Philly Cheesesteak is a perfect example). Tradition is what keeps them unchanging, not intrinsic flavor.

January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
  30. rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

Be afraid of Rick Santorum. Be very, very afraid.

January 4, 2012 at 10:21 am | Reply
    • M&Ms

You are so right. He will have us in Iran in no time. Yes, be very afraid.

January 4, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
  31. Linda

We have better Maid-Rites in Greenville, Ohio than Iowa would ever think of. And no ketchup allowed.

January 4, 2012 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • M&Ms

What's the deal with no ketchup allowed?

January 4, 2012 at 10:18 am | Reply
      • SherwoodOR

That I can answer in one word: TRADITION!

And without our traditions we would be like... like... a fiddler on a roof.

January 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Lyn

@Linda – I visited Greenville a few years ago, and had the pleasure of eating my first Maid-Rite sandwich at the shop near the Annie Oakley museum. Awesome sandwich, wish we had them here in CA!

January 4, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  32. AP

In Detroit we put coney island chili over loose hamburger on a hot dog bun, add onions and mustard – loose coney; nothing better

January 4, 2012 at 10:06 am | Reply
  33. Katie

As far as I can tell, Maid Rite is a central and eastern Iowa thing (but that's where most of the population is, too). In northwest Iowa, we had "taverns," which are similar, but with a completely different "sauce" (ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, brown sugar, water). I believe Bob's Drive In in LeMars is credited with inventing those. Taste buds must be regional, because I much prefer a tavern to a Maid Rite!

January 4, 2012 at 9:27 am | Reply
  34. Jony

I'm from Marshalltown and LOVE Taylor's Maid Rite! I was in the Navy and always looked forward to coming home to have a few Maid Rite's with my family! It's a great tradition with great food!

January 4, 2012 at 8:41 am | Reply
  35. Cindy

I'm proud to have been born and raised in Iowa!! :-)

January 4, 2012 at 8:27 am | Reply
    • Joe

Proud of what? Cooked hamburger with nothing but a bun? Sounds lazy to me.

Proud of close minded bigots whose only mission is to reproduce?

Iowa – I couldn't even find on a map.

January 4, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
      • Westie

Not surprising a mouth breather like you couldn't find Iowa on a map. Get out of your mom's basement once in a while and see what the world has to offer.

January 4, 2012 at 9:38 am | Reply
      • Liberaliowan

Sweeping, if not blatantly incorrect generalization.
        You sir, are a closed minded bigot.

January 4, 2012 at 11:09 am | Reply
      • traveler

Oh Joe you are showing your ignorance with comments like that. You need to get out more.

January 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Reply
      • SherwoodOR

It's not just cooked hamburger any more than KFC is just fried chicken. It's got secret herbs and spices.

January 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
      • SherwoodOR

It's not just crumbled hamburger on a bun. It's got secret herbs and spices.

January 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

After yesterday, Iowa will be forever associated with Rick Santorum. You need to google 'Santorum' if you haven't already.

January 4, 2012 at 10:29 am | Reply
      • SherwoodOR

Mr. Santorum's association with Iowa will be fleeting. But Maid-Rites are getting on 100 years old.

January 4, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Reply
    • Rick

How can you be proud of something you did not achieve?

January 4, 2012 at 10:57 am | Reply
    • 1901times

You have plenty to be proud of Cindy! I am from Minnesota and I know personally how great Iowa is!

January 4, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
      • rick santorumtwit... America's favorite frothy one

How's everything in Minnesota these days? I understand Marcus Bachmann is still trying to pray away his own gay.

January 4, 2012 at 11:32 am | Reply
  36. VladT

Bring out the "anti-republican/we have better cuisine then the midwest" comments. As California born and bred, and having lived in Sacramento for the past 11 years, I only have to say I wish Sacramento had a sandwich or food stuff similar to this. (Before anyone makes a dumb personal comment, I am in great shape and coach youth basketball and volleyball ). Before we get high and mighty, Sacramento was voted only second to Detroit as worst food in America.
    And, being stuck at night shift and about to go on break, that picture is looking pretty appetizing

January 4, 2012 at 6:28 am | Reply
    • chefdugan

Sorry about your prediciment. Having to live in Calfornia is punishment enought. What you guys reallty need is a good New York Deli to set up shop. That crap they serve in Iowa is only to get rid of the hog meat they have so much of. A better choice would have been the Iowa Skinny, a batter and fried pork cutlet on a hamburger bun with lettuce, mustard and dill pickle slices. Not to be too self serving you can find the recipe in my cookbook on Amazon, Help- I Gotta Cook!

January 4, 2012 at 8:18 am | Reply
      • Jerv

Dayum, that sounds goood!

January 4, 2012 at 8:20 am | Reply
    • BoBo

"Coach youth volleyball and basketball"??? Sure I've never seena fat coach!!! You may as well have said: "Kid toucher".
      BTW loose meat sandwich = Sloppy Joe. No real news here. Move along.

January 4, 2012 at 8:29 am | Reply
      • Joe Parkmoor

Not so, Bo Bo. A loose meat sandwich has no trace of the tomatoey sauce that permeates a sloppy joe.

January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am | Reply
      • VladT

Yep, cause everyone who works with kids are child touchers. And with a handle like "BOBO," you sound like someone who is in great shape as well. I would respond with my height and measurements, but you wouldn't believe me and namecall me again, so have a good day, and go occupy your mom's basement

January 5, 2012 at 5:14 am | Reply
  37. NyteShayde

I can hear the arteries in Iowa hardening from here.

January 4, 2012 at 2:20 am | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

While it is probably best not to base your diet around Maid-Rites, an overall-heathy person can have one every now and then.

January 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  38. GET YOUR NOSE OUT OF MY BUSSINESS

A WOMEN NOT COUGAR NEVER TELLS EVERYTHING OR THERES NO MYSTERY & THAT INCLUDES RECEPIES! WITH THAT BEING SAID THE ABOVE GENERALLIZED TOPICS SHOULD STATE YOU TEND TO YOUR BUSSINESS NEIGHBOR AND ILL SEE TO MINE! MUCH ABLIGED.

January 4, 2012 at 12:52 am | Reply
    • a. dee

Wow, I don't know what your post has to do with anything, but you should learn how to spell.

January 4, 2012 at 11:04 am | Reply
  39. Randy

Copy Cat Maid-Rites
    Those of you with recipes that call for ketchup in the recipe have got a FAKE recipe. Maid-Rite has NEVER added ketchup to their meat for their classic burger while cooking it. The secret is twice-ground ground beef (probably the cheapest you can find – it is often told that the beef has other things ground into it, such as kidneys and hearts). The meat is very, very fine.
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef, twice ground
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 can chicken broth
    Salt and pepper
    Crumble meat in a skillet over medium heat, then add onion. Brown meat and cook until onion begins to turn clear. Drain off fat. Meat should be very crumbly. Add broth and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
    Serve on buns with slices of dill pickle. Add mustard, if desired.

January 4, 2012 at 12:18 am | Reply
    • Close but no cigar

Almost like a spoonburger. Substitute a can of chicken gumbo soup for the broth and it's a done deal. Lots of spoonburger recipes call for added ketchup and mustard. No thanks. Keep it simple.

January 4, 2012 at 10:15 am | Reply
  40. Lori

I grew up close to Marshalltown, Iowa and often ate with my family at Taylor's Maid Rite, in Marshalltown. Loved the sandwiches with NO SEASONING in the meat. I remember the stools at the counter, the huge map of the world on the wall . Wonder if it's still there?! Glad the place is still open. Sandwiches are NOT DRY, moist and tender meat! One Maid Rite please, with a Coke. Well, Diet Coke now!

January 3, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
    • kae

Lori, it is still all the same, nothing changed from the bar stool's to the map on the wall

January 4, 2012 at 12:07 am | Reply
      • Lori

thanks Kae! I have great memories of Taylors Maid Rite! It's the best.

January 4, 2012 at 11:16 am | Reply
      • Jim Pannkuk

Can you tell me how they are made. I remember them at Waterloo but don't ever get back there.

September 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  41. scott

Yuck.... meat is murder, and it will kill you too.

January 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Reply
    • NyteShayde

Look PETA boy, I'm a vegan as well but the "murder" reference is stupid. It's called a food chain. If those cows aren't food for us it will be food for something else. Get off the moral high horse.

January 4, 2012 at 2:23 am | Reply
      • Rick

If it weren't for us eating them, they would not be running wild, nor will other animals eat them. They simply would not be born

January 4, 2012 at 8:36 am | Reply
    • AMJepp

Cows aren't people. It's not murder. I wish there was a cure for stupid so you could understand.

January 4, 2012 at 8:37 am | Reply
    • Jabba

Sniff my bung hole.

January 4, 2012 at 8:39 am | Reply
    • kevin roberts

Not eating meat will kill you faster.

January 4, 2012 at 8:49 am | Reply
      • Rick

kevin: i have been avoiding meat for about 33 years. it hasn't harmed me

January 4, 2012 at 10:59 am | Reply
      • tesla1908

I've been eating meat for much lnger than that and it hasn't harmed me either. Your point?

January 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Reply
    • Another former Iowan

Those cows would kill you given half a chance. Pure evil, but fantastic over hot coals with some A-1.

January 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
      • KP

And if it is a good steak you won't even need the A-1, just salt and pepper.

January 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • I want da gold!

...tasty, tasty murder.

January 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

Remember, this article is about Iowa. And, in Iowa, a vegitarian is someone who only eats corn-fed beef.

January 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  42. Jay

Do you know what IOWA stands for –I ouighta went around–

January 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Reply
    • Westie

next time stop by for a spelling lesson.

January 4, 2012 at 9:44 am | Reply
    • traveler

Oh Jay your ignorance is showing.

January 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Reply
  43. Furriner

Lol. No wonder Middle America is worried about its Middle.

January 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Reply
    • Aletheya

Protein does not contribute to weight gain. It's the fries/chips, white-flour bun and soda or shake that do it.

January 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • NyteShayde

No, but animal protein and fat contribute to our record cancer and atherosclerotic rates. Read the China Study and stop drinking the FDA and the meat and dairy council Koolaid.

January 4, 2012 at 2:25 am | Reply
      • AMJepp

China and Japan have their own health issues related to their diets so any China study isn't revealing the whole truth necessarily. Japanese and Chinese are thinner but they suffer high blood pressure and stroke a lot more than we do because of the high sodium content in their diets. MSG is still used and it has taken a toll on them. I lived in Japan and heard it from locals my husband worked with.

January 4, 2012 at 8:42 am | Reply
      • SherwoodOR

I prefer that French study myself.

January 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  44. martin

Just in: An xray of Jerry's brain looks just like a Maid-Rite sandwich!

January 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Reply
  45. Chrism

Nothing beats the Philly cheesesteak.

January 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Reply
    • Caveat emptor

A good experience... unless you're unfortunate enough to be in Philly at the time.

January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am | Reply
  46. jon

Think sloppy joe without the sauce...kind of dry

January 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  47. Norm

Jerry, you have proved yourself and the results are not good.

January 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  48. Erica

Marshalltown Maid-Rites are the best with a milk shake. Everyone must try at least one and they will be hooked for life.

January 3, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • NyteShayde

Never

January 4, 2012 at 2:26 am | Reply
  49. Tim

January 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • Artifex

What are you saying Tim? That Iowa women are excellent just plain, while Texas women take hours of prep and require tons of garnishment to be presentable? That's not nice.

Just funnin' ya – I couldn't resist!

January 4, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
      • Tim

Toushe. . . very clever.

January 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Reply
    • sosofresh

Actually, if you are in TX cooking beef you are probably using mesquite, not hickory. Thanks for coming out though.

January 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Reply
      • karen in texas

Depends on what part of Texas you are from. If you live in North Texas, you probably smoke with pecan, maybe hickory.

January 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

This is because the Iowa farmers keep the best cuts, those which require only a bit of salt and pepper, for themselves and send the cheap stuff which requires hours of cooking and heavy seasoning to Texas.

January 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  50. SWAMPY

It's like they said, a sloppy without the sauce. They're OK. Much better, I had awesome pulled pork sandwiches at an American Legion wedding reception in Iowa City, and ate raw sweet corn at an Iowa farm, straight of the stalk but it melted in your mouth. There's good food everywhere if chose to experience.

January 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • SherwoodOR

The sweeter a corn hybrid is, the shorter its shelf life. So, the best, the sweetest, the most amazing corn hybrids are only available at the farm stands in Iowa. The farmers there plant a few rows just to sell at their farm stands. This corn needs to be eaten very quickly. It is a wonderful treat. No butter is required... just a pot of boiling water and a bit of salt.

January 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply
      • kimmi

Didn't you know tht the only way to prepare sweet corn is to get a big pot of water boiling, run to the field, pick the corn, and make a mad run to get it into the boiling water???????? If you trip and fall in the field, you've gotta start over 'cause the corn's too old...........

January 5, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply