Poll – Are you losing the booze in '12?
January 2nd, 2012

Science! Sometimes it tells us things that are terrifying, sad or disturbing, but today science is telling us to go ahead and keep drinking. Hurrah!

If you're anything like us (and Bacchus help you if you are), your Facebook and Twitter feeds are full of people eschewing alcohol for the month of January in an attempt to reset their liver and "detox" from holiday overconsumption. We're all for people doing whatever it takes to grasp control of their health and do what it takes to feel better.

Problem is, this particular is useless according to doctors at the British Liver Trust. According to an article in today's Daily Mail, "the so-called ‘Janopause’ – when drinkers cut out alcohol for only the first month of the year – is ‘medically futile’ and fails to rejuvenate the liver in the long term."

The piece goes on to note that eliminating alcohol altogether tends to lead to excess imbibing in the following months - which is pretty much antithetical to what you were trying to do in the first place.

So what's the solution? In England, news sources report that Prime Minister David Cameron is considering ordering officials to come up with a plan to institute a minimum price for alcohol in stores in order to curb consumption. Here in the land of the free and home of the brave, federal interference with alcohol access has never proven especially popular with its citizenry, so it's up to individual drinkers (and their doctors, loved ones and clergyfolk) to decide.

Our approach: pay attention to drinking from desire, rather than habit. Yes, you may often split a bottle of wine with a loved one, but a device like a vacuum wine saver will keep the remainder fresh for the next day or two. Half bottles offset the effect of the psychological drive to finish the whole bottle and boxed wine, which allows for easy single pours, has come into its own.

We've also taken to alternating cocktails with alcohol-free, but incredibly festive (and low-calorie) drinks like seltzer with just a splash of fruit juice and frozen fruit, or club soda with Rose's Lime Cordial and a slash of Tabasco sauce (which is much more delicious than it sounds).

No, we don't have to drink, but we like to drink and if it's done in moderation, hey - cheers to that. And to our friend, science.

More about science and hangover cures

Posted by:
Filed under: Alcoholism • Buzz • Hangovers • Health News • Lunchtime Poll • New Year's • Resolutions • Sip

1. Beau Doiron

I feel the same way about smoking
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u4Elcya7yM&w=640&h=390]

January 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  2. rad666

A major issue in America, but it has dropped off CNN front page after only 47 comments.

January 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  3. Evil Grin

You forgot to include a "heck no, I like my alcohol" option.

January 3, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • tensor

as well as the option: Depends on who is elected.

January 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  4. Tom

Amazing that weed has none of these side effects, especially the one I find troubling called death.

January 3, 2012 at 6:41 am |
    • Rick

That is a sticky one, indeed. I am trying to find all those pot overdose deaths they told me about when I was a wee lad back in the 70's

January 3, 2012 at 9:31 am |
  5. TRH

Do as you wish but be aware that alcohol has destroyed more lives and families than any other addiction.

January 3, 2012 at 5:59 am |
  6. Ben

I REALLY don't want to be THAT guy but this article is very touchy.
    I quit drinking after thanksgiving. I don't plan on drinking again.

THis article is suggesting... oh keep drinking if it's cheap! DON'T STOP DRINKING IT'S GREAT! JUST DON'T DRINK AS MUCH!

What about alcoholics? Someone like myself. I stopped drinking because I didn't want to have future health problems and decided to prevent any thing which may arise from alcohol use. I'm the type who doesn't stop. I don't stop until I pass out.

When covering a BIG issue like effects of alcohol consumption/withdrawl I feel it would be important to cover all aspects. Unless otherwise specified.

January 3, 2012 at 3:27 am |
    • Potrick Kettle

"We're all for people doing whatever it takes to grasp control of their health and do what it takes to feel better."

This covered that for me, but I do wish you all the best in your sobriety. That's a tough road.

January 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • czerendipity

I think they wanted this to be a more light-hearted article, not an in depth analysis.

January 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  7. lucas

I quit drinking once and in two weeks I lost exactly 14 days

January 3, 2012 at 3:10 am |
  8. anchopobalano

Stopping booze? Do it the right way under a doctor's care. I stopped cold and had a seizure 3 days latter. Good luck.

January 3, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • TRH

Detoxing from alcohol has the potential to kill if not done under a doctor's supervision. No other drug can claim that dubious distinction.

January 3, 2012 at 6:01 am |
  9. LROKCGIRL

I know two people who had liver disease this year. They were "functioning" alcoholics and were not sober long enough to qualify for a transplant before they died horrible, painful deaths. Not everyone who has liver failure is an alcoholic, but it's certainly not something I would want to inflict on myself.

January 3, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  10. Blessed Geek

I find it difficult to comprehend what possible joy could anyone derive from consuming alcohol. Why would you want your senses dulled and your nostrils offended?

Wouldn't your moments be more enjoyable playing computer games, getting laid, solve some mathematical equations, write some computer software. Build a dog house. Experiment and re-experiment until you succeed in baking the crispiest thin crust pizza.

Be like an organic cow of vermont – no additives to your lives and senses to feel the full effects of life unadulterated.

January 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • How's That?

Did you really use "playing computer game" and "getting laid" in the same sentence? You need a drink.

January 2, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Willowspring

Blessed Geek. You have the right idea. Life is so much more fun when you are actually living it instead of being in a stupor. Have you ever been to a party and not had even one drink while everyone else is either just drinking or going way overboard? It doesn't take long to see how really stupid drunks can be. They just THINK they're having fun. Video the party, then show them the next day. Not only do they see how compromised they were, but they are also dealing with a hangover. Another day, wasted!!

January 3, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

For most responsible adult drinkers, there is a world of difference between having a drink and getting drunk. A great cocktail, a dram of Scotch or a glass of wonderful wine can enhance a meal, conversation or party, rather than dull it.

And if your nostrils are being offended, you've just been drinking the wrong stuff!

January 3, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • me

ahahahaha NERD

January 3, 2012 at 1:57 am |
  11. CrackerBox

2 pints a day keeps me healthy and out of jail. More than that, trouble, less than that, unhappy

January 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  12. Gdog

Lol, the writer is an idiot. Keep it simple, its a web article.

January 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
  13. pieface

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we sleep, we commit no sins. If we commit no sins, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!

January 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • czerendipity

^^^Love this.

January 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  14. Hey

I have only one alcoholic beverage a day. It's in a gallon schooner.

January 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • The Statistician

Here, Here, always qualify your answer in one's favor!

January 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  15. Hey

I have only one alcoholic beverage a day. It's in a gallon scooner.

January 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  16. cityguy

I've also cut down on my smoking... Now I only smoke after sex.. Im down to 2 packs a day!

January 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  17. TheLeftCoast

The solution: healthy stress reduction techniques, like massage therapy, yoga, meditation, time in nature, etc.

January 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • Mother Earth Herbal Remedies

And please do not forget the "Cold Hoppy Barley Enema" to flush away those pesky woes...

January 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

And that always helpful WEED.

January 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  18. wildone

Every jokes about it, but we'll see who's laughing when their doctor tells them that their liver is destroyed and they can't get a transplant in time to save their life.

January 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • @Wildone

Liver-shmiver, I say LIQUOR in front & POKER in rear

January 2, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Willowspring

With Obamacare, they probably wouldn't qualify anyway.

January 3, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • TRH

That's exactly what happened to my neighbor's wife. She died in the hospital awaiting a liver transplant.

January 3, 2012 at 6:03 am |
  19. Paul

in my experience, buying a 5 liter box of wine has not *reduced* my wine consumption.

January 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  20. Red Irish Nose

Two drinking buddies are now in their sixries. The one says to the other. "You know we are getting old. When I die would you mind pouring a good bottle of Irish whiskey on my grave each year?" His friend say, "I will be glad to do that but would you mind if I pass it through my bladder first?"

January 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Willowspring

Sounds like an Irish joke to me.

January 3, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  21. Red Irish Nose

I want everyone to know that I don't drink anymore, of course I don't drink any less either.

January 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  22. magnus

Reminds me of a joke...

This Irish fellow enters a bar and orders 3 pints of beer at once. He takes a sip from the first beer, then he takes a sip from the second beer, then he takes a sip from the 3rd beer, and then he repeats the entire process again until all 3 beers are gone. The Bartender thought that to be an unusual way of drinking so he asks the fellow what's going on. The Fellow told him that he and his 2 brothers used to drink all the time together but the other 2 moved to the US and now he is all by himself and lonely. So, he drinks this way to remember his brothers. The Bartender thought that was a cool reason. So, then about 1 month later, then fellow walks into the bar and he orders only 2 pints of beer. The Bartender fearing the worst – one of his brothers must have died. Nonetheless, he gives the man the two pints and he takes a sip from the first pint, then the second pint, and repeats until both beers are gone. The Bartender comes over and puts his hand on his shoulder and with compassion gives him his condolances. "Oh, no", says the Fellow. "One of my brothers did not die. They are both fine in the US. I just got back from my first AA meeting and they told me I had to quit drinking if I were to go to the meetings."

January 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Red Irish Nose

HA!

January 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • dudekevinch

i remember that joke but cant remember from who or when, must of been all the alcohol

January 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  23. Beer Goggles

Alcoholics Anonymous requires to many meetings, cuts into my drinkking time.
    Me, I will just remain a drunk, no long term commitments.

January 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  24. The Casual Observer

Alcholics Anonymousis for quitters and I ain't no quitter!

January 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • james

Good One!

January 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  25. Irish Eyes

It's getting too darned expensive but I'm no quitter!

January 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  26. burp

Trying to drink more. Makes girlfriend look better, wife too.

January 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • BRBSanDiego

This is part of the "beer goggles" effect. The bonus is that you pass out after sex and don't have to listen to all the post-coital yacking.

January 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  27. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Legalize it!

January 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  28. mcdanp

Wow!! I thought I was crazy, but you've got me beat hands down.

January 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm |