December 27th, 2011

“What do I have to do to get on your dad’s jerky list?”

It wasn’t the first time I’d heard that entreaty; my father’s beef jerky has quite the reputation among friends, family and acquaintances.

But this is a tale of lying, thieving, hoarding and conniving by humans and four-legged creatures, all in the name of Joseph Cavalluzzi’s jerky.

“What makes your jerky so special?” I asked my dad a few weeks ago during a trip home to North Carolina.

“It’s hard to say,” he paused for a long moment. “Most of the store-bought jerky I’ve had has too many preservatives in it.”

The beauty of jerky is in its shelf life. Store-bought jerky can generally last up to a year, while the shelf life of homemade jerky is about one to two months. Dad’s jerky, however, never seems to last more than a few days - most people devour it immediately.

Drying meat is one of the oldest methods of preservation. The word "jerky" derives from "charque" or "charqui," a South American form of dried meat, originally llama, used by the Incans. Jerky can be found around the world in many iterations: Native Americans called it "pemmican"; in various African countries, it’s referred to as "biltong"; "bakkwa" in China; and "bastirma" in the Middle East.

The question posed to my father was rhetorical, as I’ve eaten a fair amount of the stuff and cop to the hoarding that seems to accompany every bag. If I were to hazard a guess to what makes dad’s jerky great, I’d say it’s the care he shows with whatever task he undertakes. When my father does something, he does it methodically and he does it well; too well if you consider the story of Augustus Harper a.k.a. "The Jerky Thief."

“Gus” was handed a bag of my father’s jerky to deliver to our mutual friend Matt. He’d never tasted it before and thought he’d help himself to a piece before passing on the bag to its intended recipient.

The story doesn’t simply end with Gus eating the entire bag, the second chapter involves subterfuge. Gus went to the store, bought some jerky, took it out of the commercial packaging and tried to pass it off to Matt as my father’s homemade jerky. Not only did he fail, he became branded as “The Jerky Thief” - it’s sort of like a scarlet “A” in, ahem, jerky circles.

While jerky comes in many different forms - goat, lamb, turkey, salmon and even alligator - my father’s specialty is beef. He specifically uses London broil because it “cuts better, dries better, tastes better and it goes on sale a lot more.” Economics certainly factor in when you are churning out a fair amount of jerky as gifts. One pound of meat generally yields four ounces of jerky.

Joseph Cavalluzzi’s long and winding road to jerky guru (and yes, as a daughter I’m biased, but anecdotal evidence from around the globe backs me up) began 15 years ago when my mother bought him a dehydrator for Christmas. My parents do things like that: one year, Dad bought Mom a wood chipper for her birthday and they later got each other a tractor for their anniversary.

Dad’s foray into the world of dehydration started with vegetables and fruits. A year later he started making beef jerky using a teriyaki marinade.

Jerky can be made using rubs or marinades, it’s really a matter of preference.

Teriyaki Jerky

1/2 teaspoon salt (coarse says Dad)
1/8 teaspoon pepper (coarse works best)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 lb. lean meat, thinly sliced (3/16- to 1/4-inch thick)

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except meat. Stir to mix well. Place meat 3 to 4 layers deep in a glass, stoneware, plastic or stainless steel container, spooning soy sauce mixture over each layer. Cover tightly. Marinate 6 to 12 hours in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally and keeping the mixture tightly covered. Makes 1/4 pound jerky.

**Dehydrator Drying - Use a temperature to 140°F to 160°F for the first 3 to 4 hours. The temperature may be reduced to as low as 130°F after 4 hours until dry, if desired. Occasionally blot the jerky with paper towels as it dries to remove beads of oil.

**Dryness Test - Test jerky for dryness by cooling a piece. When cool it should crack when bent but not break. There should be no moist spots.

During this last trip home, Dad assembled the ingredients and I watched him make the jerky, starting with the marinade and slicing the beef 1/4-inch thick. He recommends slicing a slightly frozen piece of meat, saying it’s much easier to get a thin strip.

Dad incorporated the marinade through the beef strips by hand. He then refrigerated it for several hours.

Overall, making jerky is not a complicated process, but it can get messy. Not as messy as when you give one bag to two people and expect them to share though.

My friend Matt and his wife Kelly faced that dilemma, and Kelly’s first course of action was to store it in her glove box, “intentionally” she adds, hoping Matt would forget about it.

Kelly didn’t forget about it though and swerved wildly while driving and simultaneously trying to extract the jerky from its hideaway. Her story, unlike Gus's, doesn’t end with eating the entire bag, but Kelly ate so much she came close enough to making herself sick.

“Unable to stop,” Kelly tossed the bag into the backseat, to no avail. She ended up reaching to get more, swerving was involved. Finally, Kelly threw the bag against the rear window of the car to stop herself from finishing it and incurring Matt’s wrath.

Empty bags of jerky are also a theme in my friend Carey’s life. Another “Jerky Thief” hit her house and it wasn’t Gus. She was given a bag at work and stored it in her purse. The jerky stash disappeared and it wasn’t until she found a bit of plastic underneath her couch at home that she realized what had happened. Her dog Maggie had fished through her purse, stolen the bag of jerky and quietly eaten the entire thing, hiding the very last bit of evidence, the top of the plastic bag.

I wasn’t surprised to hear that story as the smell of Dad’s teriyaki jerky is as intoxicating to beasts as it is to man. Dad generally starts the process in the morning and by afternoon, it goes into the dehydrator and dries overnight. The gingery soy scents wafts throughout the house; it’s divine.

But not every dehydrating attempt has a divine outcome. Dad says his one dehydrating misstep involved habaneros.

“You don’t want to do it in the house,” he laughed. “The fumes from it woke us up and just drove all of us out. We had to open all the windows, turn on the air conditioning and take everything outside.”

Once the meat has dried for a bit, Dad checks it to test for doneness (read taste test). He bends pieces looking to make sure they aren’t still wet and they have more of a snap. He says that allows them to last longer. We checked the dried meat in the morning and Dad offloaded it into bags. Two London broils worth of jerky stored in a gallon size bag.

“Should we mail this to you with the other things?” my dad asked.

“No, it’s going in my carry-on,” I replied.

And while I’m not proud to admit this, true to form, I’ve hoarded it. Sometimes sharing is overrated.

Jennifer Wolfe is the Supervising Producer of the CNN Entertainment Unit.

Posted by:
Filed under: How To • Make • Techniques & Tips

1. Ed Carbury

We have been making Beef Jerky since 2003. Our story is similar to the one here and we have grown enough to start a web site http://www.edscustombeefjerky.com/ and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eds-Custom-Beef-Jerky/118196978196467?sk=app_115119328510154
    Over a dozen gourmet flavors available and new flavors coming all the time, everyone likes different flavors you know.

December 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Reply
    • Anthony F.

Wow, I just saw this article and came to comment on how excellent your jerky is, Ed =) Try his red and green habanero, if you dare >D

December 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  2. simonc

I've go a Biltong Box – bascially a cardboard box with a vivarium heat pad in the bottom. The meat is hung at the top and the warm air circulates and drys out the meat slowly over a few days. It's also great for air-drying sausages. I got mine off eBay, but there are plenty of websites that show you how to make your own.

December 29, 2011 at 7:27 am | Reply
  3. Jonny

If you have never heard of it, try some Northern Thai Jerky, called "Heavenly Beef." It is true to the name. Make up some sticky rice, and you will never want to eat anything else. This so called "peasant food" is fit for a king, I ate it every day growing up.

December 29, 2011 at 5:16 am | Reply
  4. Jim

Great accolade to your father.

December 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  5. AnnMarie

I am one of those picky eaters who also happens to suffer allergies. Anyway, when I see a slim jim, I think Dog Treat, but I came across this jerky at a Birthday Party that was outstanding. http://www.chefcraigsbeefjerky.com/ I was surprised cuz the kids were gobbling it up faster than the adults. I am enjoying reading the hints and my mouth is watering for more Chef Craig's Jerky. Gotta check my cupboard for a bag....

December 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Reply
  6. Philippine Made

The Philippines has also this kind of food in either pork of beef. They are ready to eat as an snacks or viand. See it here: 'http://philippine-made.blogspot.com/2011/08/pork-and-beef-jerky.html'

December 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Reply
  7. Cindy

I have been making my own jerky since I can remember. My son would take orders at his middle school while it was in the oven, $1 per piece. He always made out well in that business venture. I use London Broil, a variety of spices including montreal steak seasoning with the liquid being soy sauce. The "wow" ingredient is Hungarian smoked paprika. Use it generously. Marinate for about 30 mins then put in the oven either on dehyrate or about 140 degrees until done, usually two days. My daughter has a friend who was raised vegan. She still is vegan with the exception of this Jerky! Go figure? Have fun!

December 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Reply
  8. Hokie82

I use a similar receipe to the author's. But also add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and curry powder to the mix. It's a very kicked up receipe, especially depending on the type of curry used, and rarely lasts more than a few days its so addictive. I send bags of it overseas to my son in the military for Thanksgiving.

December 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  9. Richp

My son makes it, mostly out of venison and this year, bear. If it comes out anything like his pulled bear did it should be awesome.

December 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Reply
    • Wastrel

You can't pull a bear and you can't pull a bull, but you can pull a pullet!

December 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  10. Bunny

Fish jerky is amazing. Use the same process as above, but adjust seasonings to fit the taste of the fish – something assertive like salmon can take more spice than a milder white fish. My dad made his in a smoker, but I use a dehydrator and add different chiles for heat.

December 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  11. james

I just made 10lbs of chopped/formed, puree leather roll and traditional sliced. Marinated in wet for three days, dry rubbed, cold drained for an additional 24 hours with a 16 ingredient dry-rub that I developed over the last 15 years and finally cold smoked over hickory for 7 hours. You can add sodium nitrate or MSG for both flavor and shelf life if you want but I like to keep mine a bit more purist. I have people throwing free meat at me just to get a return on the finished product.

December 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • ic32teeth

Now that is like a fine wine... Great dedication to what I am sure is fine piece of Jerky.

December 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  12. Chef Craig's Beef Jerky

For years, I made beef jerky and all who tried it, loved it. Feel free and check out CHEF CRAIG'S BEEF JERKY. Discover a sweet, but spicy jerky that is excellent, anytime, anyplace! Not in the mood to cook? Why compromise, when the best is right before you?! Addiction starts at home!

December 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  13. Selena

This read brought a tear to my eye and put a smile on my face. My father was also renown for his jerky. In fact, it was SO popular he was able to sell enough each month to make his car payment. I was lucky enough to get it regularly, free of charge. ;-) He would also make llittle scrap bags for my cat as a treat.

Great read. I'm inspired to try and make some now.

December 28, 2011 at 11:27 am | Reply
  14. Ken

Interesting article, and I wish it had answered a couple of nutritional and preservation questions.

If the oil is blotted up regularly as recommended, is the resulting jerky as low fat as the store varieties?

Also, no nitrates or other preservatives are used in the recipe, a good thing. But what is the shelf life of this jerky vs. the packaged varieties (which often include a silica package to absorb moisture)?

Should the jerky be kept in air tight baggies with as much excess air removed?

December 28, 2011 at 11:05 am | Reply
  15. Karon

My grandfather made beef jerky for a long time. I was either 12 or 13, when Halloween come around and All my friends want me to "go get the jerky", not the candy. I think he was trying to stock up for Thanksgiving and Christmas presents. But when a house full of teenagers wanted jerky, they got jerky. 5 pounds of jerky must have been given out, while the candy sat in a bowl for months.

December 28, 2011 at 10:09 am | Reply
  16. mike rodriguez

grew up in West Texas and the best I ever found was from Jackson Bros. in Post, TX. Every trip out there, I bring back 5 lbs. or so, in vacuum sealed packages, for myself and my 2 kids. Even two cats like it as well! Have enjoyed it for at least 40 yrs. or so!

December 28, 2011 at 10:01 am | Reply
  17. memories

Growing up my father would deer hunt. He would make jerky out of some of the meat. He'd dry it on top of our wood stove. He's long gone now but I can still smell it and would do just about anything to taste it one more time.

December 28, 2011 at 8:40 am | Reply
  18. dutchman

I also make my own. I use several more ingredients, mace, white pepper, seasonall, garlic, soy, worcestershire, ketchup, several more. I also marinate for at least 24 hrs. turning the bags over several times. A dehydrator works great, buy one for fifty or sixty bucks you can use it for all sorts of things. I dry tomato slices for pizza in the winter (just rehydrate before putting them on the pie). I dry apples, dip the slices in cheap lemon lime juice and you're good to go. Banana chips, they take a loooooooong time, any fruit you like I guess.

December 28, 2011 at 8:02 am | Reply
  19. Oven_Recipe

To make jerky in the oven, marinade your meat as you choose, and then lay it out on it on cookie sheets, one layer deep. Heat the oven to the lowest setting, usually 140F. Prop the door open with a wooden spoon to allow moisture to escape. Bake for 8 hours, turning the entire batch over halfway through. Check every hour or so near the end. If it's still moist, don't worry...it won't last long enough to spoil. Wrap it in paper towels and place it in plastic ziplock bags to keep in the fridge.

December 28, 2011 at 6:56 am | Reply
    • stwbnc

Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping to learn how to do.

December 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Reply
      • Robert McCarty

Also you can take tooth picks and pierce one end of the strip, then hang the jerky from the oven racks... You will be able to get alot more meat in there... Make sure you put tin foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings, makes clean up a breeze... Also, to "cheat" you can get some of those premixed seasonings from the store either dry or wet and use them along with some liquid smoke, worshestershire *spelling?* garlic powder, ect... Just go with what you feel is right, thats the great thing making something yourself....

December 29, 2011 at 7:18 am | Reply
  20. Bill

The easiest jerky is to buy beef which is cut up for carne asada (bare, no onions or peppers). Soak in low salt soy sauce. Dehydrate, enjoy, and decide what you want to add to the next batch.

December 28, 2011 at 4:06 am | Reply
  21. Mike

A jerky circle isnt gay if you dont look each other in the eyes.

December 28, 2011 at 2:07 am | Reply
  22. Dalmz1z

No one mentioned buffalo, we get that at some road side stands while traveling.

December 28, 2011 at 12:56 am | Reply
  23. Noxious.Sunshine

My dad bought a dehydrator many years ago.. We made home-made jerky on the regular.. It was amazing.

On another note, you don't necessarily need a dehydrator to make great jerky. Your oven will do.
    Set the temp to 200 degrees or less (150 range, really) – and crack the oven door to let the steam escape... Lay the meat on I guess some wax or parchment paper or aluminum foil.. And like the article says, blot any accumulating oil/grease as you go.

I haven't made jerky via an oven, but I -have- made sun-dried tomatoes that way using Roma tomatoes.

December 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Reply
    • Jakedasnake

We actually put toothpicks through each piece of meat, then hung them from the racks. You can fit quite a bit on each rack this way. We also put several cookie sheets on the bottom layer to catch all the drippings.

December 28, 2011 at 9:16 am | Reply
      • Greenman

That is exactly how I dry mine. Unless I went to a commercial dehydrator this is the only way I can get enough space to do the amounts I have. I've been chastized for not really having a recipe but using whatever I'm tired of looking at in the cupboard (within reason) has done pretty good. I sell out of it every time I make it and the only complaints I have had are, "it's not hot enough," and, "it's too hot." I recently got some Korean red pepper flakes that I'm looking forward to trying for the spicy recipe, and I want to try the ginger mentioned in the article.

December 29, 2011 at 12:52 am | Reply
  24. Mick

A good thing to look into is Morton TenderQuick – you can mail-order it from Morton's web site. It's basically curing salts – finely ground salt plus nitrates/nitrites. I think there might be some sugar in there too. You can just mix it in with the marinade – one tablespoon per pound of raw meat. What it does is prevent bacteria from settling in while the meat is drying. If you've got raw meat in a 150 degree environment you might as well put out a welcome mat for nasty microbes – the TenderQuick goes a long way toward killing them.

My marinade is 50 percent soy sauce and 50 percent water (in addition to dry spices) – diluting the soy sauce keeps things from tasting too salty when you're using the TQ.

December 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Reply
    • Kevin

Mick, your comment concerning "A good thing to look into is Morton TenderQuick ..." needs to be added to the main article. The recipe describes dried, nicely seasoned, but raw meat, without proper "curing salts"

December 28, 2011 at 7:59 am | Reply
  25. Mick

An alternative to the London Broil route is to get your butcher to slice up a few pounds of top round. Supposedly other cuts like bottom round will also work; I've only used top. He'll just throw that sucker onto a meat slicer and cut it to whatever thickness you want – then you just need to cut lengthwise strips. I've done this twice and it works great – the meat was also very lean.

December 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  26. indian

i am from india..and goat meat or lamb is the only red meat we can have..i have looking for goat/lamb jerky for over 5 years at local jerky stores/farmers in the texas... couldn't find any..

funny on that picture one above it says goat..lamb jerky as it is widely available...there are one or two places online..for that price i could get a whole goat..

just bought a dehydrator..still trying to get the hang of it and working for the perfect goat jerky recipe..

December 27, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Reply
    • Richard

I wonder how many people end up with salmonella, E-coli, etc., by screwing up the process?

December 27, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Reply
  27. MikeH

I like to take mine out half way and remarinade it with the same recipe as the starter marinade. Then I put it back in to finish. Gives that extra amount of flavoring. You should not reuse the original marinade!

December 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  28. carolann

love jerky! just got a pound of joes pork jerky for christmas! it is boneless pork loin.he is in statesville, nc. he also does beef jerky that is heavenly. am also a jerky hoarder! give him a try if you don't have the time or a dehydrator: http://www.joesbeefjerky.com

December 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  29. No MSG

Good article, thank you. Now, I've got to try my hand at making some.

December 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  30. ThePreacherTheTeacher

Do you need a dehydrator for making jerky, or will an oven do? I'd like to try but I don't have the gadget. I have a convection oven that can be set down to 160 F.

December 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Reply
    • Mick

The oven should work fine. A smoker's better, but the oven will do. Put toothpicks through the top of the pieces, then hang them down from the oven racks – if you just lay them down on the racks you'll run out of room quickly.

December 27, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Reply
    • will work

but watch the fat drippings, very tasty however

December 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  31. NC Narrator

If you want to make your own jerky, but you don't own a dehydrator, you can use a common box fan (clean the blades please!), some furnace filters (the paper kind, not fiberglass or foam), and bungee cords. We saw this technique on "Good Eats' and tried it (being die hard jerky fans), and it worked wonderfully!

Follow the jerky recipe for the marinade or rub of your choice. Lay a filter flat and arrange the jerky on filter. Top with another filter. You can do 2-3 filters with jerky on them per box fan, with a filter on the outside to hold the last batch between two filters. Use bungee cords to attach the filter/jerky sandwiches to the box fan and turn the fan on med to high. How long it takes depends on air temperature and humidity...and your house will smell of jerky.

December 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Reply
    • Guest

I remember that episode of Good Eats....didn't Alton solve the house-smelling-of-jerky problem by putting the fan in the window so that the air blew outside? Or does the jerky smell linger inside anyway?

December 28, 2011 at 10:01 am | Reply
      • NC Narrator

He did put it in the window...which would probably work. We lived in a very old house the last time we made it, which had no window screens, so putting our fans in the windows would have invited bugs or critters to come have a taste. I didn't mind the jerky smell (yum!) – SOO much better than the smell we get when we make cabbage rolls!

December 28, 2011 at 10:34 am | Reply
      • KevinW

I have a magazine article with that recipie and I can attest that it works great. I make mine in the garage to avoid smelling up the house (but the wife still complains!)

December 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Reply
  32. Spencer

My dads jerky is better =)

December 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  33. Hungry Canadian

Great article! I also love to make my own jerky at home. So far I have had great success with Canada and snow goose, mallard and wood duck, and spruce grouse. I use 3/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, 3 finely chopped mild/semi hot peppers (about 2x the size of a golf ball). Makes 1/2 lb of jerky.

December 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  34. Arizonan

I grew up buying jerky at the store, thought I was in heaven when the state fair came to town and I could buy much better stuff from vendors Years later, I bought a dehydrater and started making my own. Oh, yummm! But my dehydrater broke during my recent move, and I am in mourning. Must replace soon. I need my jerky!

December 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Reply
    • Arizonan

I mix Worcester Sauce and Soy Sauce, add bottled hickory "Smoke," some garlic salt, onion salt. I'm not a fan of pepper, so I leave that out; others will wish to add it. I slice the meat thin (and London Broil is indeed wonderful for this!), marinade overnight in the fridge, then dehydrate on a specific jerky setting for four hours. I used to make a major batch before hitting the road with friends; they couldn't stop eating it!

December 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  35. Chuck @ Grace Happens

I also make my own and I can attest to the 'hoarding' and 'jacking' of the jerky! I marinate mine for 24 hours in the fridge and then dehydrate it for about 8-hours... I store it in a coffe can but it never lasts much longer than a month or so... London Broil is also my favorite meat to use but I have jerked duck, chicken, and venison... I really want to do fish so – – – at least that will give me a reason (like I need one) to spend a couple of days in 'da bayou' :-)

December 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  36. California Mommy

Thanks for sharing this article. My teen son has Type 1 diabetes & we're always on the lookout for a snack that's low in carbs...a "free" food that he can eat lots of without raising his blood sugar.

December 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Reply
    • Arizonan

Check out edamame, or young soybeans. Good protein, fiber; low carbs. Kind of a nutty taste. You can buy cooked edamame, or frozen; cooking takes about 6 minutes in boiling water, and that's it. Whole Foods carries a nice selection, but you can also find it in grocery stores. It's kind of fun squirting the beans out of the pods straight into the mouth. 8-)

December 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  37. Raffi

This brought back some great memories! My grandfather Haroutune (Resurrection of Christ, in Armenian) was still in the womb when his Dad was killed by the Ottoman Turks during the Armenian Genocide of World War I. The suriving mother and siblings helped him move to Lebanon during that period. Along with some of the other survivors from the city of Kayseri (Cesarea) in the Cappadocia region of Turkey, they learned and re-invented the art of BASTURMA. Until the last years of his life in California, he would make it from scratch like your Dad. And let me tell you, there was enough garlic and pimento to help the fragrance linger for days!!! Cheers to Mr. Cavaluzzi and his nurturing culinary art.

December 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Reply
  38. jim

If you google pemmican you will find that it is a form of jerky pounded until almost a powder & then fat & sometimes berries were added. It is not just jerky.

December 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Reply
    • thinksome

Jim,
      You got it right, unlike CNN. Pemmican is not beef jerky-like, although it has dried meat as an ingredient. It is actually much better quality for trail food, as it contains energy giving fat, unlike jerky, which always has fat trimmed off. Biltong is dried meat just as jerky is. CNN has to move on to the next story, no time to get the current story correct. Contributing No News fails again.

December 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Reply
      • Al

Biltong is not normally heated to 160, it is air dried at room temp. It takes about a week to dry, sometimes longer. It is rolled in salt and coriander and then quickly dipped in a weak vinegar solution before hanging.

December 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  39. Ravi

Wonderful article! I was inspired by Jack Link's "Cholula Hot Sauce" (my current store bought favorite) to try making my own jerky. Thanks for this recipe.

December 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  40. cheesecake chick

in alaska i had reindeer jerky................yum! I LOVE JERKY!! (and would be considered a "hoarder" because you're right, when it comes to good jerky, sharing is overrated!! LOL)

December 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  41. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Jerky is one of God's best gifts to man. Some of the most interestingly flavored jerky for me has been duck, peppered, and I think it had been dusted with garlic salt if I recall. I couldn't get enough of it.

December 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply