Wolfgang Puck and Shaquille O'Neal dish on dinner chez Larry King, and what Russell Brand swiped from the bedroom
December 4th, 2011

CNN Presents: A Larry King Special: Dinner with the Kings airs at 8 p.m. ET Sunday.

So, you're having a few guests over for dinner. No big deal - it's just Conan O'Brien, Tyra Banks, Shaquille O'Neal, Seth MacFarlane, Jack Dorsey, Quincy Jones and Russell Brand, and in this scenario, you're Larry King. Really, who else could assemble such a star-studded bunch, and really - are you gonna just serve them meatloaf and mashed potatoes?

Larry King and his wife Shawn called upon celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck and his culinary team led by Chef Matt Bencivenga to assemble a five course meal, reflective of Puck's philosophy of serving fresh seasonal ingredients, sourced from local markets.

larry king

They arrived at an array of seasonal dishes as well as a few of Wolfgang’s classics, including Spago's signature smoked salmon pizza with dill crème fraiche and caviar, mini burgers, sesame miso cones filled with spicy tuna tartare, and a whole wild king salmon the chefs filleted on-site in the Kings' kitchen.

Actor Russell Brand certainly didn't leave hungry. Puck and his team crafted meat and seafood-free dishes specifically for the famously vegetarian actor - who, according to fellow guest Shaquille O'Neal, returned the favor in a ribald fashion.

O'Neal tells CNN that Brand, "Went upstairs and went through Shawn King’s underwear drawer. He even had the nerve to bring down a few surprises. I was laughing so hard it hurt."

The former NBA star dished on his fellow guests, saying, "I was able to do a little entertaining of my own, with the help of my good buddy Conan O'Brien. I had just filmed his show earlier that evening so we clicked from the start and were making everyone laugh all night"

He continued, "I connected well with everyone. Quincy Jones is amazing, with all his Grammys and best-selling records, I have always looked up to him. Tyra Banks is an icon. Seth McFarlane has one of the funniest shows on television; I need to make a guest appearance on Family Guy sometime soon. The founder of Twitter, Jack Dorsey and I share a mutual respect. He once said, 'Twitter wouldn’t be where it was today without you.' That was really humbling."

As if we needed additional proof - it's good to be king: Larry King.

Posted by:
Filed under: Celebrity Chefs • Wolfgang Puck

Next entry »
  1. Adele Witrock

L.K.
    Worst interviewer of ALL TIME. I am surprised at CNN having aired this show. Retire for good Larry do us a favor.

December 6, 2011 at 7:44 am | Reply
  2. stab

cnn spent 24/7 beating up on mr. cain,i was just wondering,was king's wife's sister invited to the dinner,
    what a bunch of hypicrites!!!!!!

December 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  3. Sharon McEachern

Larry King told his dinner guests that when he dies, he wants his head frozen to be revived later. That Britney Spear's latest obsession too. But I would remind them both about baseball great Ted Williams. William's head was cut off and frozen after he died. Later workers used hte head to bat around like a baseball in the cryogenics lab:

Do your research on cryogenics now, while you still can Larry, that is if you want a death with dignity.

December 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  4. wags

worse of larry king cant you do any better

December 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Reply
  5. Patricia S. Dumas

That was one big, "Shawn has a great big, gaudy house with a big gaudy dining room and kitchen and wants to show off" show! Geez, Larry.. what happened to you? Ugh.. what a ridiculous show. I expect better from Larry King. But, he's whipped, alright. And.. just so you guys don't think I'm some young whippersnapper making wise a*s comments, I read CNN every day.. and am above 60! :-) Larry and his wife came off as supreme horses as*ses!

December 5, 2011 at 10:56 am | Reply
  6. kim

I loved it !!!!!!Shawn was amazing I hope you guys, Larry and Shawn continue to do these types of dinners I would love to see at the King's Table Mariah/Nick Cannon,Sports person Derek Jetter/ Barry Bonds/Reggie Bush or the Quater Back Bree? Comedian/Talk show host Ellen D or maybe a famous painter. You guys rock it was a good feeling seeing Larry and Shawn hosting a Dinner Party better cool. Great idea

December 5, 2011 at 9:05 am | Reply
  7. hamsta

id like to have obama sit at my dinner table.id readjust his mind on this whole social justice and welfare thing.i dont think he would be to amused eating ramen noodles and drinking boones farm.

December 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Reply
    • Hadenufyet

You control your situation , nobody to blame but you.

December 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Reply
  8. chiroma

I wants to be connected with Larry king on all his update through my Facebook

December 4, 2011 at 9:22 am | Reply
  9. alimonyjones

Is it tuna tartare if it's made with salmon? Just sayin'...

December 4, 2011 at 6:45 am | Reply