Coke chills out with a new can design
October 25th, 2011

Coke cans are getting a whitewash.

From November 1st through the end of February, Coca-Cola (KO, Fortune 500) will release 1.4 billion white Coke cans in the U.S. and Canada, each showing polar bears against a field of white. The temporary redesign is part of a joint campaign the company is undertaking with the World Wildlife Fund to protect the Arctic habitat of its wintertime mascot, the polar bear.

"We're using one of our greatest assets - our flagship brand, Coca-Cola - to raise awareness for this important cause," Muhtar Kent, Chairman and CEO of the Coca-Cola Company, said.

Read Coke cans get a new look

Previously - How I kicked my Coke habit

1. Dano

For weeks I'd been lamenting the lack of Coke classic on store shelves...and even on the shelves of our company refrigerator. Today I realized this is just their new can art that I had been mistaking for diet coke. The familiar red can has become so ubiquitous with Coke classic, among those who favor it, that I wonder how much business they lost until others like me caught on. I think it's risky to stray so drastically from the branding that has become so instantly recognizable. I notice they didn't lose the red background on the 20 oz bottles of Coke, and still they feature the polar bear motif. I don't know why they didn't just do it this way on the can, too.

November 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  2. Tina

haha coca-pola (like polar bear!!)

November 23, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  3. Denvercherub

Pepsi ftw. Coke is the choice of the unsophisticated. Personally I still with a mixture of pineapple juice and apple juice. Go go Costco!

November 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  4. natesmoyer

As you stated, people have been thrown off. There's a video of over a dozen people randomly interviewed in Bellingham, WA. Not one that was interviewed realized the new can isn't Diet. And none of them (yet) knew about the Polar Bear campaign. It really caught people off guard. Search on youtube for "Is Coke's New Campaign Compelling or Confusing?" Watch the reaction of the kids – they're speechless!

November 21, 2011 at 2:29 am |
  5. nomnom

That's a really nice design. But why wouldn't they come out with a Pepsi Throwback equivalent?

October 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  6. tayah

thats cool but they should really hace something like "ice cold polar yum"

October 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  7. EJ

Since in most cases the Diet option of a soda is a lighter, sometimes white or silver color, what keeps people from getting frustrated not being able to find the regular coke when they're looking for a red can and only see a white can which uncannily (no pun intended) matches the diet options so regularly available?

October 26, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  8. Subin

Anybody tried Coke from mexico in a bottle, oh god its so tasty b'coz its made with real sugar not high fructose corn syrup which is banned in Europe.Mexican coke is really tasty, i got it from costco.

October 25, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • John

That's all my kids will drink. They would rather drink water than corn syrup.

November 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • inachu

THe quality of coke has dropped the past year. I Can tell the difference and Coca Cola is tasting more and more flat even when i stopped drinking soda for 3 weeks and resume it still tastes flat. I think Coke company is tempting me to flee to pepsi.

November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
      • JG

I do agree with you inachu, regarding the growing sense that the coke seems to be flatter than it used to be.

That being said, I LOVE the new can design. I don't know what it is. I think it's the simplicity of it... so many soft drinks that come out are "BAM", "IN YOUR FACE" colors to grab your attention. I'm glad coke isn't trying to do that.

I know it really isn't that big of a deal, but for some reason these holiday can colors really give me a pleasant feeling. Weird, I know.

November 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Jeff

I believe the real difference in Mexican Coke is not so much the sugar vs. HFCS, but that there's more citric and phosphoric acids that give it that old-fashioned Coca-Cola "bite."

November 12, 2011 at 11:30 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,389 other followers