Lick the Screen - Scottish breakfast
October 18th, 2011

Behold Scottish breakfast, which was easily accessible to me all last week when I was trouncing about the West Highlands on my first proper vacation in five years. It's laden with streaky bacon, sausage, and black pudding - not as traditional as haggis, but the hotel wasn't keen on the local offerings. It also has lightly roasted garden-fresh tomatoes, a mushroom that flavor-wise could easily have doubled as beef tenderloin, a tattie scone (not unlike a potato pancake) and a fried egg straight out of a chicken somewhere in the immediate vicinity.

Now, back home, I pine for this breakfast. I sit on windowsills, staring out into the middle distance and dreaming of the day that this breakfast and I can be reunited. I have stopped just short of composing a mournful, touching love ballad starring this breakfast, but I'm fairly certain that this here counts as a mash note.

I'm not usually that much of a breakfast person - coffee and some oatmeal if I'm feeling self-serious and ambitious. But for this, I woke up voluntarily at 8 a.m. for three days in a row on my vacation, lulled from slumber by the siren song of breakfast meats.

english breakfast

And then there was this - a full English breakfast at a pub in Yorkshire. Fried potatoes rather than the silken tattie scone, the inevitable ramekin of beans, and like its Gaelic cousin, a darned sight more compelling than the rapidly congealing bowl of oatmeal on the table in front of me right now.

Perhaps it's best that I'm an ocean away from my beloved now. Surely my arteries and wardrobe are the better for it, but for the moment, my bangers lie over the ocean and I am a wee bit sadder for it.

Periodically, Lick the Screen will showcase a food photo that sets our stomach rumbling. If you'd like your work to be featured, submit your pictures to the Eatocracy Flickr pool or leave a link in the comments. We'll get in touch if what we see makes us weak at the knees.

Posted by:
Filed under: Breakfast • British • Cuisines • Dishes • Lick the Screen • Scottish

1. Donnachaidh

The picture shows most of my favorite breakfast, but I like Smoked Kippers too much to skip them. As for my normal breakfast, my favorite is a split and toasted sesame bagel with each half smeared with mashed avocado topped with sliced fresh tomatoes.

January 26, 2013 at 1:26 am | Reply
    • Donnachaidh

Darn. I didn't notice how stale this thread is. Oh, well.

January 26, 2013 at 1:27 am | Reply
  2. NS

I love the Heinz-style baked beans in tomato sauce (not the sweet kind in barbecue sauce) for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. On toast, with cheese or with bread and sausages they are just amazing!

December 1, 2011 at 12:01 am | Reply
  3. A

A full english isn't really that calorific if you cook it properly. You can get away with under 300 calories easily.

November 29, 2011 at 10:55 am | Reply
  4. sb52853

Most days I'll have a protein shake with lots of fruit. If I have the time, I'll have some scrambled eggs and maybe some meat or cheese and a big serving of fruit. I'm gluten intolerant so I skip the toast (gluten-free bread reminds me of rubber). I don't know how people make it to lunch on a bowl of cereal. Two hours later I'm ready to eat the paper off my desk!

November 29, 2011 at 9:57 am | Reply
  5. Hanna M.

My schedule varies, so does my breakfast, but I find it essential to my day, if I have time and don't have to be at work at the crack of dawn, i usually cook something hot, sometimes a couple of eggs or a small bowl of grits with good quality cheese, occasionally pop an over easy egg on top of the grits. if its a quick breakfast, i lean towards leftovers or a bowl of cereal....
    I drink almond milk but find the regular too sweet and the unsweetened to unsweet, sometimes i buy both and mix the two together so its half and half, and it saves on sugars....

November 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  6. Pamela Silva

Growing up in Peru, our traditional breakfast consisted of blood pudding also known as "morcillas". I never knew what it was until recently and I have to admit although it sounds disgusting, I will still eat it. It is very delicious.

November 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  7. Tara

I will never try blood pudding or hagis! Yuck! As a Texan – this is how we prefer to have breakfast – http://imunchie.com/bryan/munchies/southern-fried-breakfast

November 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Reply
    • awaysaway

You'll never try and so you'll never know. Some Americans are like 5 year olds!

November 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  8. Chaos_slc

I don't eat much breakfast myself – but every morning I make my husband a "breakfast sandwhich" on a thin everything bagel or toast – with an egg, bacon, canadian bacon or ham – on the weekends it is scrambled eggs, breakfast meat and two peices of cinnamon toast. (I am planning on getting some egg beaters or the like – I really don't want him to come to an early demise due to cholesterol). He does work hard, and needs a good breakfast – and since weight isn't an issue (6 feet and maybe, 135) it is just the cholesterol that is becomming a concern.

November 2, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
  9. The Celtic Caterer & Chef Eric W. McBride

I to have returned from a working holiday in the west highlands of Scotland and the rual south Lothian and Ayrshire. Having lived there years before I was expecting the same breakfast you see pictured above. The most significant change in recent years is the "Black Pudding". In years past, one would recieve a Scottish Breakfast that included some local farmers version of the blood sausage, which was, as you would expect not very exciting. However, a small company in Stornaway in the Outer Hebrides has begun to create some of the most amazing black pudding that has the whole country yearning for it. So addictive has this new trend been that the Scots no longer save it just for breakfast, they now add it to more sophisticated meals like saulted Scallops served on Stornaway Black pudding topped with a red onion chutney ( For a picture check out my facebook page "The Celtic Caterer & Chef Eric W. McBride"). However, I would say the author of this piece may have been short changed. For I see no pancakes on his plate which even the English call them "Scottish Cakes".

October 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • just curious

Are the tomatoes sitting on top of a pancake?

October 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Reply
      • Scotsman

Nope. That's the Tattie Scone.

January 26, 2013 at 1:22 am | Reply
  10. Caroline

That does look good, but then it should for £16.50 (click on the hotel link in the first paragraph)! Our 'Full English' consists of two rashers of back bacon, 2 chipolatas, black pudding, whole grilled tomato, beans and eggs the way you like them (fried, poached or scrambled). It will definately set you up for the day – though we reckon you should try to squeeze in a Devon Cream Tea along the way :-)

October 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  11. r

My goodness, that stuff looks unappealing (except for the eggs). You'd think a nice slab of Scottish salmon and some capers with a little horseradish and slices of cucumbers on the side and some good bread and butter all washed down with coffee would be on the menu.

October 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • awaysaway

Perhaps it is... but that would not be Scottish. You can stay in the US for that.

November 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  12. rr528

Full-fat cottage cheese with raspberries and blueberries at work; sprouted grain toast with peanut butter and jam on weekends.

October 19, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Ms. Grammar

That sounds wonderful~!

October 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  13. GonzoG

I make a mean 3 egg cheese omlet. And THEN put a squirt of Sriracha hotsauce on the plate beside it. The stuff is WONDERFUL on eggs.

October 19, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
  14. AnnieP

Had the full breakfast every morning on my first tour and loved it. The breakfast would fill me up enough to be able to either skip lunch or just have a sandwich. Since breakfast and dinner were included in the tour price, I spent very little on food and always stayed full. Also, I got to try many new things and haggis rules! Let me tell ya–fish and chips "across the pond" is nothing like it is here in a fast food restaurant. Everything is fresh! Looking at the picture just makes me long for "home". Sigh!

October 19, 2011 at 9:12 am | Reply
  15. Arthur V.

The account is exactly correct, and the first photo is exactly accurate. I had it every day for two weeks and never gained an ounce, and I miss it now enormously. Most of the subsequent chit-chat was fun to read but strictly Off-Topic. That's because either you know the Scots breakfast or you don't. I didn't before Sept 2, and am now bereft of my morning love. Incidentally, Boswell, in his Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, gives this footnote for the entry Saturday 28 August 1773: "It is the pleasantest meal we have. Dr Johnson has allowed the peculiar merit of breakfast in Scotland"–an understatement!

October 19, 2011 at 3:14 am | Reply
    • Office Crop Duster

I like a big bowl of beans with hot sauce and some cabbage.

This fuels me up for some serious crop dusting at the office.

October 19, 2011 at 6:22 am | Reply
      • The Boss

Walt, is that you?

October 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Reply
    • David

One of my favorite memories after getting up in the morning somewhere close to the Scottish border was going to breakfast and being greeted by a group of blonde waitresses who wanted to bring me breakfast. One young lady looked at me and asked me if I would like some "Black Pudding". I said hesitantly, 'What is that exactly?" And she sort of tilted her head to the side and her smile diminished and she replied "It's Fried Pig's Blood". I agreed to try it and as I was eating it I was telling myself how good it was – all the while reminding myself that I was eating "Fried Pig's Blood".

October 19, 2011 at 7:46 am | Reply
  16. SherylLynn

Yummy! I love bacon, but rarely have it. Also love potato latkes but don't have those often either. So, I have two scrambled eggs in a little butter, half a blueberry scone or plain biscuit, and dark Assam black tea with fat free half and half daily.

October 19, 2011 at 1:57 am | Reply
  17. cgiann

The bacon is back bacon not streaky bacon and you should have sent the sausage back if it really looked like that;-)
    Most Scots (myself included) would only eat that at the weekend. Tea (and lots of it) is the beverage of choice and you really need it to dilute the salt. You're making me homesick.

October 19, 2011 at 1:18 am | Reply
  18. Teena M

Breakfast: 1 tbsp peanut butter & 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips; microwaved in a small bowl until melted; stir in 1/3 cup old fashioned oats...stir it up and enjoy! Lasts me for hours, unlike most breakfasts

October 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Reply
    • Carol

I make whole wheat pancakes that have bananas, apples, mini chocolate chips morsels, raisins and cinnamon. Make a big batch and have 2 each morning smeared with little peanut butter and a bowl of oatmeal and with cinnamon. Glass of orange juice.

October 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  19. Terry Richards

Due to severe medical restrictions, my breakfast is a plain and bland affair. The equivalent of two eggs in Egg Beaters, two pieces of toast with margarine and sugar-free jelly, two strips of lean low-sodium turkey bacon, a piece of fruit (no apples, citrus or bananas), and 500 ml of diet cranberry cocktail. Plus Plavix and a half-dozen other heart and / or kidney drugs.

October 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Reply
    • seattlekatie

Yer doin' better than me kid...I have high cholesteral and can't eat practically ANYTHING, so I usually pass on breakfast altogether. I know you're not s'posed to but...I have one meal a day usually, sometime between mid-morning and late afternoon...

October 19, 2011 at 3:23 am | Reply
  20. paris

Freshly brewed coffee with organic milk, 2 eggs poached or softly scrambled (no brown bits please), thickly sliced crusty bread toasted and served with butter and a little marmalade on the side.

October 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  21. Libby

Fruit (usually an apple) and protein (either cheese, leftover meat, or a hard-boiled egg).

October 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  22. North GA Scots-Irish

I fell in love with the Scots full breakfast during several visits to the Perthshire Highlands. My favorite variant omitted the sausage in favor of kippers and added a bowl of steaming porridge on the side. Och, aye! There's nae better!

October 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Reply
    • seattlekatie

Oh m'Goosh! I forgot all about the kippers, I LOVE the Scottish smoked kippers, thank you now I am descending into kipper agnst. Where can ya find a good kipper in THIS neck of the woods??? AAAGGGHHHHHH...........!!!

October 19, 2011 at 3:28 am | Reply
      • seattlekatie

Angst.

October 19, 2011 at 3:29 am | Reply
  23. Sarah Beth

I'm lucky, the hospital i work for has a grill that makes breakfast burritos or omelets to order, along with eggs, biscuits,bacon/sausage and also the healthier oatmeal, yogurt, cereals, and juices. And CHEAP !!! An omelet and juice and coffee are less than 3 dollars- and they add fresh fruit for free !
    Then again, lunches are total crap, and no employee eats there.

October 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  24. Careme

Every (weekday) morning I fix my wife half a toasted english muffin with butter and a home made jelly or jam; half a piece of fresh seasonal fruit, a bowl of cereal (usually cold), a small glass of juice and a cup of coffee. Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day. All the "half"s are because the other is for me.

October 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Reply
    • rubyfire77

Awww! That truly is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time! I love that there is still some romance out there. Your wife is a lucky lady.

October 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Reply
    • Stacy

OK.... Im officially jealous!

November 11, 2011 at 10:59 am | Reply
  25. Karen C.

The last time I intentionally ate breakfeast was 1996.

October 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Reply
    • Careme

I'm sorry . I hope you feel better

October 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  26. louis

My body cannot take anything more than a mouth full of quinoa and some tea until after I am fully awake for at least 2.5 hours. If I eat anything more than before that time frame I will become violently incapacitated in the bathroom. I think I am not alone because I hear my co-workers expeling their nasty looking Snausage McBarfins' about an hour into the wokday...try a yogurt you self abusing freaks!

October 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Reply
    • biology

do you mean they are throwing them up? food takes at least 8 hours to get to your small intestine

October 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  27. EC

Enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast on a vacation there 10 years ago, but it took 2 days before we realized that we were so thirsty because all that meat was pretty salty. So we switched to porridge for most of the rest of our stay, sigh–but had to have just one more before we left. Loved the potato tattie, but not the blood pudding–tasted like dirt, with nutmeg.

October 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • seattlekatie

HAHAHA!!! I loved your description of blood pudding. Your taste buds must be related to my taste buds! It is disgusting. NO OFFENSE HONEY, really!!!...(My husband is Scottish.)

October 19, 2011 at 3:34 am | Reply
  28. Anon_e_mouse

During the week: toasted English muffins, bagel and cream cheese (and lox if I'm feeling rich), or sometimes just a pack of Lance Nip-Chee crackers... any of which I wash down with a nice cold can of Coke.

On the weekend: eggs and either home fries or grits, with a couple of fresh hot biscuits.

October 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  29. frogprof

Solo breakfast at a B&B [Sula Sgeir, run by lovely Mrs Murray] outside Stornoway, Isle of Lewis ... she was ironing in the kitchen to the sound of Gaelic radio while I ate everything EXCEPT the black pudding [I did try it]. Made me realize that all the French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin classes I took were of absolutely no use for understanding Scots Gaelic!
    But oh, the runny fried egg, mopped up with yummy toast; "proper" bacon [her description]; and everything else in that photo ... it's time to go back!!

October 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  30. marionarneson

I have peanut butter on 9 grain toast with honey. A hot bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 sliced banana, blueberries, walnuts, plus a little milk and dash of brown sugar every morning. It stops me from being hungry and eating bad stuff. Tastes great!

October 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  31. Moncks Corner Kate

Oh lordy! I lived in Scotland with beautiful breakfasts for 5 years – and it took another five years to forget them. Lick the screen? How about CHOMP CHOMP!

October 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Reply
    • DisconsolateChimera

I know, right? I want to print out the screen and get my fork and knife! Yum!

October 18, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  32. Mark

This helps explain why the Scots have one of the highest rates of coronary disease in the world, and why my Scottish grandfather died 6 years before I was born at age 42. I've been to Scotland on 3 separate occasions and have never been tempted. Still, if you have absolutely normal cholesterol and triglycerides without the help of medication (most people don't, including me) knock yourself out.

October 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Reply
    • markus

your forgetting the deep fired mars bars

October 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Reply
    • Syntax

Mark, you were born at age 42? I kid, I kid!

October 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  33. Kate

Breakfast – BEST MEAL OF THE DAY! When in Ireland I also got up nice and early to enjoy a full Irish Breakfast. It was worth every mouthful.

October 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Reply
  34. YVONNE

i am from England, and i have to say you can't beat a good English breakfast its has some of the best bacon in the world (not streaky at all) also a good irish breakfast is great they have most of the same but they also have potato bread that they fry after cooking the bacon (dont knock it till you try it) remember not much fat on Englash bacon.

October 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  35. mind_the_gap

Full English breakfast for me every morning. Great way to start the day and to get carried through a long morning, not to mention a super way to douse oneself with protein.

October 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  36. Mark L

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day folks. But the best part is you have all day to burn off those calories. I always eat a huge breakfast, a modest lunch and a tiny dinner.

October 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  37. Lew

Where is the fried Slice????

October 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  38. Barry

Ah Scotland , have you ever been homesick for a place you have never been? I actually love haggis with eggs and toast.

October 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    • Epidi

Yes, I'm homesick for Scotland because it is where my ancestors come from. Kintyre in Argylshire. I long to see it.

October 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Reply
      • Ben Frankly

You're on 1D10T!

October 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Reply
      • Ben Frankly

You're an 1D10T!

October 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Reply
      • seattlekatie

Gee whiz
        Ben Frankly learn to spell, laddie me boyo.

Epidi,
        Argyle is very nice. Scotland is so beautiful in so may ways. I hope you get to go there someday, you will fall in love.

I know what it feels like to have somewhere you've never been before, cry out to you and tug on your soul.

October 19, 2011 at 3:44 am | Reply
      • seattlekatie

..."Scotland is so beautiful in so MANY ways....lol it is late and I fear I am turning into Ben Frankly dippity doo dah....night!

October 19, 2011 at 3:47 am | Reply
  39. Yorkie

Full English or Scottish breakfasts are great , but they are normaly served with BACK bacon not streaky bacon. This has more meat than fat.

October 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  40. MarkWisdom

This brings back wonderful memories, went on a trip to Ireland last year and stayed at terrific B&Bs across the country, same type of breakfast without the tomato or beans!

October 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  41. Lisa

Scottish breakfast are absolutely wonderful, how I miss them. would eat in the morning go out for the day have something just to tide me over in the afternoon and then have dinner. How i miss Scotland.

October 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  42. AMJepp

Scottish breakfast is incredibly delicious. Scotch eggs (soft boiled egg covered in ground sausage then breaded and fried) is superb. I never thought I'd say it but even the Haggis was good. I'm pining for the highlands again. :)

October 18, 2011 at 11:37 am | Reply
  43. Stephen

My favorite Scottish breakfast was at a home bed and breakfast in the West Coast Lowlands. The house was situated next to a dairy farm that supplied milk for Cadbury's Milk Chocolate and although the family we stayed with was not associated with the farm, they got all of their milk and cream from them. Can I say "heavenly!"? The hostess served us the full Scottish Breakfast and it was my first taste of Black Pudding. All in all, it has been 20 years since then and I still think back to that wonderful breakfast and the family we ate it with.

October 18, 2011 at 11:27 am | Reply
  44. Evil Grin

Mod e rated again! Let me see if I can figure out what the problem was:

I don't usually eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast, but those look delicious. I can't blame you for pining for this breakfast. I especially love that both breakfasts came with cooked tomatoes. Those are delicious.

I usually make something along the lines of rice, beans, veggies and a poultry for breakfast, all mixed together with spices, peppers and hot sauce. Very high in proteins and it gives me a lot of energy through the day, since I often skip lunch, and sometimes dinner. Lately, I've been pairing it with soup. I find that soup for breakfast is extremely soothing. Sometimes I add fruit into the mix, if I'm especially hungry in the morning. Breakfast is probably my major meal of the day.

October 18, 2011 at 10:23 am | Reply
  45. Evil Grin

I usually whip up something along the lines of rice, beans, veggies and a poultry for breakfast, all mixed together with spices, peppers and hot sauce. Very high in proteins and it gives me a lot of energy through the day, since I often skip lunch, and sometimes dinner. Lately, I've been pairing it with soup. I find that soup for breakfast is extremely soothing. Sometimes I add fruit into the mix, if I'm especially hungry in the morning. Breakfast is probably my major meal of the day.

October 18, 2011 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Yup, I love soup for breakfast, too.

October 18, 2011 at 11:48 am | Reply
      • Evil Grin

It's very relaxing first thing in the morning, isn't it?

October 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • LP

Me too! I bring a bean soup to work for breakfast. One that I make ahead in large quantities and freeze in single portions. Quick, filling, and doesn't give you a sugar high that you crash from an hour later.

October 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  46. Dakota

My favorite Scottish breakfast memory was at a small hotel. Their buffet included porridge (oatmeal) with whisky on the side.

October 18, 2011 at 10:06 am | Reply
  47. alli

scottish breakfast is something to be admired. when we were on a 2-wk drive of scotland, those full breakfasts at our B&Bs kept our bellies happy thru the better part of the day, giving us time to see more of the sights than we expected. pack a bit of light fare like fruit for a snack in the middle of the day, and we were good to go until stopping for dinner in the next town we'd pick to stay in. getting ready to head back in the spring for another go at what this lovely country has to offer, including its fine breakfasts.

October 18, 2011 at 9:42 am | Reply
  48. alr

If someone could explain black pudding to me, I would appreciate it. I don't understand what it is.

October 18, 2011 at 9:32 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

It's kinda not pretty. Sausage made with pork fat, onions, oatmeal, spices and, well, blood. Sooooo much more delicious than that sounds.

October 18, 2011 at 9:36 am | Reply
      • alli

lol the description would put many people off...but throw some mushroom sauce or a whisky cream sauce on it &, oh good lord, it's divine.

October 18, 2011 at 9:49 am | Reply
      • Peanut M&M

Yeah, it is good. I once ordered a roasted cornish hen stuffed with black pudding at an Irish restaurant in London. The restaurant was near Piccadilly Circus and Chinatown. The dish was delicious. The people I was with were horrifed and disgusted by the thought of black pudding. Their loss.

October 18, 2011 at 10:23 am | Reply
      • Bela Lugosi

Did someone say Blood? Wrap some bacon around it and I'm in.

October 18, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
      • LP

When I visited Sweden with my Mom, I finally got to try "blood pudding" which I'd heard about for the past 20 years. It was interesting, and not awful (especially with lingonberry sauce on top), but not something I'd order special. I wonder if most cultures have some variation of this?

October 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  49. Forestranger

Quite right about the Scottish breakfast! Tomatoes and black pudding are a wonderful taste combination. When I was in Scotland 8 years ago on a whiskey tour a big breakfast was an essential precursor to a distillery tour and one of the extended nosings, like the one you can get at Aberlour.

October 18, 2011 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • Mike

There are no whiskEy tours in Scotland.

October 18, 2011 at 9:28 am | Reply
      • Bob

No whisky tours in Scotland? Guess the people at whisky-tours.com in Scotland would be upset to hear that they're not really in the business of arranging distillery whisky tours!

October 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Reply
      • Heid Theba

Mike – you are quite right (and Bob you are wrong) – whisky with no "e" is Scottish; Whiskey with an "e" before the "y" is not. That's why the "whisky-tours.com" Bob refers to is spelled without the "e", which he seems not to have noticed in his haste to troll.

October 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Reply
      • The Internet Breeds Stupidity

@heid – Why would people bother to read? It's the internet, where EVERYONE can be an expert without reading! Woo Hoo! And we wonder why we are so screwed today as a society – because everyone lives online and online everyone can be the ultimate omnipotent dooshwad who knows everything without knowing a damn thing at all.

October 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  50. DC Celine

Recently, I've sworn off meats (and dairy, for that matter) in the quest to lose significant weight before my 20th high school reunion. This, however, is enough to lure me back to the dark (and exceptionally tasty) side of pork.

October 18, 2011 at 9:14 am | Reply
    • Karen C.

Certain cuts of pork are actually ideal foodstaples for the dieting process. Low in fat, high in protein, you retain the nutrients but it can be burned off quickly if you are disciplined (pork loin, center cut)....but don;t have too much!

October 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Reply