October 13th, 2011

Football season has officially kicked off, and no game-day menu would be complete without making a touchdown spike into the dip bowl.

Instead of perusing the estimated 100 brands of processed tortilla chips in the local grocery store, beef up your snack tray roster with a chip off the ol' homemade block.

Even if your team is playing as flat as a tortilla, score big with these homemade tortilla chips by Marcela Valladolid, author of "Mexican Made Easy," a new cookbook that shares the recipes from her popular Food Network show of the same name.

Related - Take your chips for a dip in roasted apple and tomatillo salsa

1. Wastrel

Deep-fried is bad, hear? I know that's the traditional way, but using a oiled cookie sheet makes chips that are just as tasty, IF you do it right. It's harder to get them just right in the oven.

October 14, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  2. kathleen

what they don't tell you is how difficult it is to get the tortilla from your hand to the pan to cook it! also, if you let the chips (uncooked) dry for a day or two before frying them, they won't absorb nearly the amount of oil as a fresh tortilla will.

October 14, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  3. Joe in Colorado

I bake mine. Deep fried = very bad.

October 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  4. sarahrhs

The end product of those chips look horrible. Mexican food is NOT EASY. So many spices,lard, herbs...and lard. I'll stick to my dad's and grandmother's recipes sans the lard. She's the Rachel Ray of "Mexican" cooking if ya know I mean...

October 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • hawkechik

You might be surprised. Lard has turned out not to be the unhealthy bad for you fat we were brought up to believe, even though yes, it is a saturated fat. Do a google on +health +lard.

October 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
      • Kellie

I agree. Vegetable and seed oils are the ones to avoid!

October 14, 2011 at 8:59 am |
    • laura

you're kidding me, right? the rachael ray of mexa cooking?? you've obviously never seen her show & are very unfamiliar w her recipes. she's not a dollar-store mexican. she's the real-deal. & if you think any less of her than i'm sure it's bc you're a classically trained pastry chef & your aunt opened one of the first cooking schools in tijuana, right?

October 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Evelyn Velasquez

The end product of those is absolutely fenomenal. It might not look good to you but tastes great for others. If you don't like them, buy chips at costco and taco shells and call that Mexican. Marcela has competed on Iron Chef, Chopped and went to school in France so if you did that too then I respect your opinion. If not, it doesn't matter but please don't say Mexican Food if not easy if you haven't tried it and not all of it is cooked with lard. Try making salsa (pico de gallo), tostadas, enchiladas and rice. They do not need any lard to taste great.

October 14, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  5. Hop Sing's Recipe for Disaster

Marcella is mui calente, would like to give her mi carne asada...

October 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Bartholomew

Yup, geting my Italian sausage any day.

October 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
      • Burbank

I hope it rots and falls off! You would deserve it!

October 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
      • Bartholomew@Burbank

Not before I bury it down your throat, honey.

October 14, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Fernando

A beautiful Mexican woman makes a successful career doing what she loves (cooking) and you degrade her, You guys are pigs...

October 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
      • Bartholomew@Fernando

Yup, and unabashedly so.

October 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  6. Paul

You can also buy corn tortillas pre-made and start at the step where you cut them into quarters and fry. Not quite as good, but still way better than most store-bought tortillas.

October 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Alex Trebek

Already mentioned. Thanks for playing.

October 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
      • Mike

Chew on thumb tacks, bully

October 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
      • Alex Trebek

You're name-calling and I'm the bully? Your mother must be so proud.

October 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
      • Paisley@Alex Trebek

I know, right? I read that and thought, "where the he ll did that come from?" I chuckled at your post. Harmless.

October 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Burbank

That would cost a fortune! Better to buy the mix or the bagged ones.

October 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  7. Alton Brown

Another tortilla press alternative is using 2 standard pie pans. Line the bottom inside of one as mentioned in pic 3. Place masaball in the lined pan. Place another layer of plastic wrap or waxed paper on top of the ball. Place the second pie pan on top of the lining so the pans are nested in each other. Press and continue per instructions above.

If you're looking for a sweet version, instead of sea salt, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot.

October 13, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Jerv

Awesome post, thank you.

October 13, 2011 at 10:46 am |
      • Alton Brown

You are welcome. It fascinates me to find alternative uses for everyday things.

October 13, 2011 at 10:57 am |
      • Alton Brown

Butts? Why not brea .... oh bother, it'll just get moderated. Never mind.

October 13, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • You do whatcha gotta do

I have arthritis and can't apply pressure very well so I backed over the dough with my truck. It worked great. Even better was the pretty design the tires left.

Now, I can't wait to make some tortillas for my friends even though they turned out a bit gritty. But it was the first time I ever made them. Maybe next time I'll put them somewhere besides the driveway.

October 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
      • Alton Brown

Instead, you could sit on it.

October 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  8. Just Saying...

Couldn't agree more. I've made chips many times and the flavor with their freshness can't be beat. The satisfaction of doing them yourself also makes them great. I can't emphasize the importance of the frying oil temperature, 375 degrees! Use a candy thermometer to accurately measure the oils temperature. Too low and they absorb too much oil, too high and they will burn.

October 13, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  9. Heather

I take a short-cut and by pre-made white corn tortillas. I then fry those up. The difference in taste and texture from the store bought chips is incredible and it doesn't take that much extra work. My husband and son love them as a special treat.

October 13, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Kathleen

Agreed. I do this too. The thinner the tortilla, the better the chip.

October 13, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  10. Bartholomew

daaayuum, photo 14 is a whole bag full of something I'd like to snack on!

October 13, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  11. Karen

All this work for tortilla chips?? I'm with David... cut up some corn tortillas and fry them if you must... or, buy a good brand of corn chips.

October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • Anna

Or you can slightly brush the tortillas with oil, then cut them up and bake them in the oven, then season with whatever strikes your fancy, for a marginally healthier version...

October 14, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  12. Alton Brown Temporary Stand-in

Another tortilla press alternative is using 2 standard pie pans. Line the bottom inside of one pan as mentioned in pic 3. Place masa ball in the lined pan. Place another layer of plastic wrap or waxed paper on top of the masa ball. Place the second pie pan on top of the lining so the pans are "spooning" each other. Press and continue per instructions above.

If you're looking for a sweet version, instead of sea salt, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while it's still hot.

October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  13. Alton Brown Temporary Stand-in

Another tortilla press alternative is using 2 standard pie pans. Line the bottom inside of one as mentioned in pic 3. Place your masa ball in the lined pan. Lay another layer of plastic wrap or waxed paper on top of the ball. Place the second pie pan on top of the lining so the pans are "spooning" each other. Press and continue per instructions above.

If you're looking for a sweet version, instead of seasalt, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot.

October 13, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  14. david

yea store bought chips are processed, the ingeridents are listed as "corn, salt and vegetable oil" same exact thing as this receipe......whats the difference?

October 13, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • Kathleen

Fry up some homemade ones, David, and you'll answer your own question. Sometimes, a chip is more than the sum of it's parts.

October 13, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • Mike

homemade are cheaper. $3 for a bag of tortilla chips. $2 for enough corn tortillas to make 3-4 bags of chips. $1 bag of Masa flour to make somewhere in the ballpark of 20 bags of chips.

October 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • The difference is...

Masa harina.

October 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • sarahrhs

Exactly. lol

October 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,052 other followers