When ranch dressing doubles as a beverage
October 4th, 2011

Chug! Chug! Chug!

Hot on the heels of Melissa McCarthy's hilarious, stomach-churning turn on Saturday Night Live as an overenthusiastic Hidden Valley Ranch focus group member who ends up swilling the product, college students in Eugene, Oregon lined up to guzzle down mass quantities of salad dressing in order to win a prize.

KPTV reports that stoner-themed sandwich shop Cheba Hut (slogan "Where the only thing fried is the occasional customer!") promised $300 and free subs for a year to whoever could drink 32 ounces of ranch dressing the fastest. While some contestants quickly lost momentum, the winner managed to slam down the entire quantity in 20 seconds flat.

Eater.com has video. We have something to discuss in therapy this week.

Posted by:
Filed under: Weird News

1. Kalailabonga

I am embarrassed to even say that I live in Eugene. That is just outright disgusting!!!!!

October 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  2. Rev. J.

Decadent. Half the world lives on a dollar or less per day and these affluent bozos engage in eating contests. When they arrive at the Pearly Gates they'll see a No Vacancy sign. Then all the fire and brimstone they can eat in Hades awaits.

October 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Reply
    • dave

Rev. J., sorry to inform you but there is no magic being who lives in the sky, grants wishes (or not), and reads your mind 24/7.

October 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
      • Peanut@dave

Hoooooow doooooo yoooooou knooooow?

October 6, 2011 at 10:21 am | Reply
  3. Bob

Cool story, bro.

October 5, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  4. Bob

Dions Ranch F T W.

October 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • ABQ

Second

November 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  5. samantha

@ gurgle if u like homade ranch dressing and u have a denny's restraunt any where near u, believe it or not they do theres by scratch its awesome. i worked 4 them for 12 years so i know

October 5, 2011 at 9:48 am | Reply
  6. Dimitris

Ranch dressing as a beverage? Sounds like Chris Christie's dream come true!

October 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Reply
    • Eleni

Oh, yes! Ranch dressing with 10 buckets of cheese sticks on the side, Dimi!

October 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Reply
  7. Wastrel

At least it isn't French.

October 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Reply
    • eepah

Now THAT makes me gag! LOL!

October 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  8. gurgle

I love ranch dressing made fresh, HATE the bottled crap from the store. Not even close to the same flavor, bottled is sour and oily while fresh is creamy and mild.

Anyone know a good ranch dressing recipe? Ive tried some online but they were a disaster, literally made me gag. I wish recipe sites would have their recipes go through an approval process before allowing any dopes recipe.

I buy all my ranch dressing from Chick Fil A since theirs is the best as far as unfresh dressing goes. Sometimes I will go to Wingstop (best ranch Ive had) and buy a pound for $3 but it only lasts a few days before it gets too liquidy.

October 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Reply
    • MG

You can just pour or skim that liquid off the top. It's just water separating from the sour cream used in the recipe. Make your own at home with the Hidden Valley spice pack, sour cream, and buttermilk. I guarantee that's how they do it where you purchase it from now because that's how they've done it at every restaurant I've worked at.

October 5, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • Sara

I dislike Kraft ranch, but I like Naturally Fresh. Grocery stores in this area sell it in the salad area of the produce section, because it needs to be refrigerated. For a long time, the ranch choices from that line were Peppercorn Ranch or Lite Ranch, but the Lite doesn't taste like a lite, it's pretty darn good.

October 6, 2011 at 9:53 am | Reply
  9. gurgle

how come the poll options always consist of either loving it or hating it?

October 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  10. Chuck

"Gerard's Champagne salad dressing is so good..." Yes, that is a good one... maybe not as a cocktail, but as a dressing.

For a college student, $300 and free meals for a year would certainly be worth the upset stomach likely to result from eating 32 ounces of ranch dressing in 20 seconds.

October 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  11. John

No.Man Vs. Food makes me sick after awhile of watching it.

October 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  12. Lord Homer

BRING ME THE RANCH DRESSING HOSE

October 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
    • melvinslizard

I only eat vegetarians

October 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  13. Ann Lynn

And the imploding idiocracy that is America, continues.

October 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • @Ann Lynn

Well, this is as least funny. They are laughing at a culture bit by doing this, but for the most part I agree with you. "Idiocracy" is here.

The proliferation of "Reality" stars is indication enough for me.

October 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Reply
  14. Franklin

Wow, that is really jacked up.

October 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  15. AleeD

No food I love is worth me trying to eat in compet!tion. By the time the contest was over, whatever the food was, I would it hate so much it wouldn't be worth it. Watching others stuff themselves in competition is a great appetite suppressant for me.

October 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • Talking To Myse-elf

D@mn zombiebots

October 5, 2011 at 6:49 am | Reply
  16. Ann

Back in college, some friends dared me to see how many desserts I could eat at the dining hall. I had 7 – AFTER a full meal. Not an official contest, but it was sort of an accomplishment.

Oh, and I was 5'6" and only 110 pounds back then. Now I'd gain weight just by licking the spoon. Ah, well.

October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Reply
    • xxsevensxx

Ah, the things we do in college. One of my classmates was offered $100 to eat an entire jar of mayo in ten minutes. I have to give him credit...he got about half of it down before the gag reflex kicked in and it all came back up again.

October 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Reply
  17. Ew

Good ol' americans getting fatter :-)
    Keep going!

October 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  18. AleeD

No food I love is worth me trying to eat in competition. By the time the contest was over, whatever the food was, I would it hate so much it wouldn't be worth it. Watching others stuff themselves in competition is a great appetite suppressant for me.

October 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  19. TX4UREXKARLENE

If Miley Cyrus likes her ketchup that way , it's ok for the rest of America :-0

October 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  20. Evil Grin

Moderated again, but I can't figure out what triggered it this time.

Let's try slightly different wording: I would enter a b u f f a l o wing eating contest, but only if they were super, super spicy. Or pizza, simply because I could probably eat an amount equal to my weight.

October 4, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
  21. Evil Grin

I'd enter a buffalo wings eating contest, but only if they were super, super spicy. Or perhaps pizza, just because I'm certain I could eat my weight in it.

October 4, 2011 at 11:52 am | Reply
  22. BlueBoy

Give me some creamy Blue Cheese dressing and I'll knock 5 seconds off that record.

October 4, 2011 at 11:24 am | Reply
  23. Truth

**WARNING – Blatent product endorsement follows**
    Ok, I have often made the joking comment that Gerard's Champagne salad dressing is so good that I could drink it from the bottle, this is just wrong. So wrong.

October 4, 2011 at 11:15 am | Reply