Ben & Jerry's promises good times with Schweddy Balls
September 8th, 2011

No one can resist Pete Schweddy's balls.

The seasonal treat was first made iconic in the Saturday Night Live skit by Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon as hosts of NPR's fictional program "Delicious Dish," and Alec Baldwin as guest Pete Schweddy - the owner of holiday confectionary company Season's Eatings that specialized in spherical sweets.

Now, after thirteen years, you too can be a sucker for Mr. Schweddy's misshapen, glistening balls - so long as you don't mind them frozen.

Ben & Jerry's announced its newest limited-batch flavor will indeed be "Schweddy Balls," and will be released for the 37th season premiere of Saturday Night Live on September 24 with Alec Baldwin - fittingly enough - as host.

“For a long time, I thought that ‘Here Lies Pete Schweddy’ would end up on my tombstone,” said Baldwin. “Now, thanks to Ben & Jerry's, the goodness of the Schweddy family recipe won't go with me to the great beyond.”

So what exactly will this variation of Schweddy Balls taste like? Ben & Jerry's said each pint will have a rum-spiked vanilla ice cream base with fudge-covered rum and malt balls aplenty mixed in.

Mmm, good times.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • News • Products

1. Ready to cut the cord? This site is dedicated to strategies and programs to enjoy the free internet.

Thank you for some other great article. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal manner of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I'm on the look for such info.

April 10, 2013 at 12:19 am | Reply
  2. Dollykatz

Where can I find it in MA. Want to bring it to a Halloween Partyh (adult party)

October 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Reply
  3. vonspoo

the only people worried about this are pearl clutching, attention w0reing, Gladys who are so desperate to be victims, they will complain about anything. not getting enough attention seeking material peeking in windows or looking over fences? the internet will save you!!! now you and your unloved hen pack can band together and lick each others imagined wounds! you hand wringing ladies can join one million moms and create a mega group, the BBOA (busy bodies of america) and take turns catching each other as you swoon and pretend to faint over every perceived offense! schweddy balls? karamel sutra? for the love of god won't anyone think of the children!!!!! stop the ice cream monstrosity now!!!

September 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  4. Ballson Chinn

I'm nuts about Scweddy Balls!

September 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  5. What's in a Name?

If you are uncomfortable with the name of this ice cream, think twice before taking your kids to see the new movie Puss in Boots.

September 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Reply
    • Sirsir

People take offense to this and yet they voted for Geroge BUSH and DICK Cheney.

September 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  6. Joe citizen abroad

What's next? "Ben's Back Hair"? (Letterman cracked a joke about that years ago. Who knew it would be prophetic?)

September 27, 2011 at 12:21 am | Reply
  7. PokeaHinney

Think they'll make a flavor for me?

September 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • prairieteri

Ha Ha Ha God I hope not!

September 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  8. Tanja

Sounds delicious and I expect everyone to run for it once it hits the store. Meanwhile if you want something to grump about here it is. Icecream lovers happy, Ben & Jerry's happy, Grumpy happy. Problem solved.

September 14, 2011 at 10:16 am | Reply
  9. lily

Hello, it is a fantastic article, and great concept.

September 14, 2011 at 1:18 am | Reply
  10. joe

Up next super colon blow flavored ice cream

September 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Reply
    • Orion

I really think a flavor based on the Colonel Angus skit is in order. Mmmmm.

September 13, 2011 at 12:20 am | Reply
  11. wwwebb

The fact that so many people believe that because they think this is funny means that it is not a sign of the dumbing down of America IS the sign that it’s the dumbing down of America. When an off-color, juvenile joke makes the main stream media and so many people defend it, how can it be argued that our culture is not being degraded? Another sign is when the same people who find this humorous are so often unable to express a grammatically correct and coherent thought. They often go further and tell the person who informs them of the fact that their education and/or intelligence is somewhat lacking that correct language is not important, anyway. If you need more evidence of the lowering of our culture, just read any comments section after any news story on any site. Yes, yes, I know, I’m commenting, too...

September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Reply
    • Dr. Phil

Rested your case twice huh? Good thing. We're so degraded as a society that we need people like you to tell us what's write and rong.

September 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
    • Kim

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that you must be alone and angry at the world, and clearly lack a sense of humor. All this was meant to be was funny, nothing more or less. Us "simple minded" folk will laugh at it while you find something else to be mad at.

September 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Reply
    • Low baller

It seems someone here has not had any balls in their mouth for quite some time.

September 19, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
  12. wwwebb

The fact that so many people believe that because they think this is funny means that it is not a sign of the dumbing down of America IS the sign that it’s the dumbing down of America. When an off-color, juvenile joke makes the mainstream media and so many people defend it, how can it be argued that our culture is not being degraded? Another sign is when the same people who find this humorous are so often unable to express a grammatically correct and coherent thought. They often go further and tell the person who informs them of the fact that their education and/or intelligence is somewhat lacking that correct language is not important, anyway. If you need more evidence of the lowering of our culture, just read any comments section after any news story on any site. Yes, yes, I know, I’m commenting, too...

September 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
    • Art Linkletter@wwwebb

"...how can it be argued that our culture is not being degraded?"

During hard times, it's human nature to seek humor wherever it may lurk. This particular post is so innocuous that it doesn't warrant the upbraiding you are trying so poorly to deliver. It's about the name of a new ice cream based on a SNL skit. It's light-hearted and funny to various walks of life.

Very sorry they canceled your appointment to get that hair out removed from your azz. You should definitely reschedule – soon.

September 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Reply
      • wwwebb

And I rest my case.

September 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • Spongebob

Sooooooo you're saying that because this is funny, we're stupid? That's BS!

September 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Reply
    • jmac23

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at fart jokes, but you'd be stupid not to." – Louis CK

September 14, 2011 at 3:38 am | Reply
  13. Evylone

I:m waiting to see if the make Cork-Soaker next!

September 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
    • Mike

Cuz it's Sofa-King good!!

October 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  14. monah_ltx

I'm 54, educated and have a good sense of humor. I like "off color" humor as long as it isn't just plain right mean. I thought the original script on SNL was funny because it was just plain stupid but I laughed. It's just a funny play on words. I think it's great that Ben and Jerry came up with such a flavor and named it Schweddy Balls. Lighten up people. You didn't have to read the article once you read it was titled "Schweddy Balls."

September 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Reply
    • fred

I'm 48 and I remember the schweddy balls skit. It was very funny, not only for the play on words, but how the ladies acted it out. Baldwin, of course thinks he is Lawrence Olivier, is an actor only in his own mind.

September 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Reply
      • Beth

Alec Baldwin is a fabulous actor. Olivier was a great actor. Different times, different styles. Watch Olivier's "Hamlet" film if you want to see a reallt stinky acting job.
        AB has always delivered as an actor.

September 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  15. pierce

ha-ha. schweddy balls. Now all junior high kids can repeat this and feel as if they are getting away with something.
    And the name will get media attention. ha-ha. We can say schweddy balls and get away with it!
    Schweddy balls! Schweddy balls!
    Ben and jerry's concocts something silly and they sell the product on a junior highism. And the media laps it up.
    I wonder if the ice cream is any good.

Anyway, media, pls dont feel the need to trumpet something based on a vulgarism. You should know better. But, um, maybe you do not and B&J knows that.

September 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Dave

Ben and Jerry's is fan-tab-ulous. Seriously, I live in MA and the only thing that stops me from eating it everyday is how bad it is for you. Packed with calories. the best is half baked, its half cookie dough ice cream and half brownie batter

September 12, 2011 at 11:21 am | Reply
    • allaboutbuff

You would have made a great member of the aristocracy, burning them at the stake. This kind of humor has been around for centuries, but of course you probably wouldn't know it from your white-walled room.

September 12, 2011 at 11:55 am | Reply
  16. Mark Basnight

Oh, well. I suppose a failing nation that responds to the world like a bullying adolescent would find ugly adolescent humor funny. Enjoy the last days of your dying empire. Bet the Chinese and Indians are spending their time on something useful.

September 12, 2011 at 10:47 am | Reply
    • Barbados ga los

Their time and money.

September 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Reply
    • Jim

Ut oh, Mr Sad pants needs somethig to sweeten him up. Have some Pralenes and DICK.

September 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
      • vonspoo

bwhahahaha! +1 internetz to you!

September 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Jennifer

It's just ice cream. Lighten up.

September 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  17. nancheska

Yuuuuuummmmm Ruummmmm!!!!!

September 12, 2011 at 10:20 am | Reply
  18. RD

I want a flavor mixed in a "Bass-O-Matic!

September 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
  19. Get a Grip!!

Everybody needs to get a grip!!! It's not that serious. It has nothing to do with dumbing down America or insulting the intelligence of their consumers. It's a FREAKIN joke, people!!! Stop getting your panties in a twist and have a sense of humor. After being bombarded all day with all the images we have to relive year and year of 9/11, it's nice to have something to simply laugh at. It's a marketing ploy with a play on words and it accomplished what it was set out to do...cause a controversy!! Suckers, you just played into! Now for all of you who are so tightly bent out of shape about it and are not going to buy this product, there will be a hundred more people who will buy it just to piss you off...LOL!

September 12, 2011 at 9:37 am | Reply
    • wuggers

You are exactly correct. If we lose our sense of humor, we have really lost everything. LAUGH America, it's good for the soul.

September 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
      • pierce

I'd laugh at that . . . but I have been out of junior high for such a long time. I guess I have lost my "sense of humor."

And if that tickles your funny body (the name of the ice cream) maybe you should be in home room right now.

September 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
      • Erica

Jeez, pierce, way to rain on everyone's parade. I can't stand people like you who think your brand of humor is so above everyone else's that you feel the need to flaunt your supposed superiority. FYI....turd monger...I graduated valedictorian of my high school class and graduated from a highly-rate private college with a 3.692 GPA and I found the Schweddy Balls skit hilarious the first time I saw it. I also find fart, poop, and sex jokes funny. You're just upset because people like me can find humor in life and you obviously are incapable of expressing joy and happiness. I'm sorry you are not happy. Perhaps a mouthful of Schweddy balls would perk you up.....

September 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • J.C.

Well said!! Come on people...lighten up and laugh, for crying out loud! It's a joke!!! Jeez!!

September 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Reply
  20. TaterTots

I don't want any Schweddy Balls, I have 2 already.

September 12, 2011 at 8:39 am | Reply
    • Ding-a-ling

small enough to have sex with a shower head

September 12, 2011 at 8:44 am | Reply
  21. Dorothy

Anyone who thinks that this ice cream, named after a dirty joke from a late-night skit, is showing the downfall of society needs to go back and reread their Shakespeare (and then, just for more shocks, read the lyrics of "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" from the musical "Kiss Me, Kate" and realize that that was written in 1949). Of course, those people will then probably insist that we remove Shakespeare from public schools. All this does, really, is shows how materialistic society has gotten, which, depending on who you are, might show more clearly how our society will fall.

September 12, 2011 at 7:57 am | Reply
  22. YouBooButYoullBeTellingIt

Hopefully, this will kick off a series of SNL-themed flavors. I predict the next flavor will be called Colonel Angus.

September 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Reply
    • jack mehoff

Somethin' fishy about that flavor.

September 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Reply
    • Marty

Theodoric of York "leech and blood-letting flavored"!

September 12, 2011 at 12:23 am | Reply
    • Marty

Roseanne Rosanadana banana

September 12, 2011 at 12:26 am | Reply
    • Marty

Tracy Morgans career (available only for a limited time)

September 12, 2011 at 12:30 am | Reply
    • Marty

Jake & Elwood Bluesberry

September 12, 2011 at 12:34 am | Reply
      • Jeff O

how about Lord and Lady Douchebag?!

September 12, 2011 at 9:15 am | Reply
  23. Disconnected Mike

Apparently, I am even more disconnected from society than I originally thought. After reading the negative comments, I am truly amazed. Can't everyone just have a little fun? This was a very entertaining and clever skit, and for B&J to create an ice cream flavor from it just enhances the fun of it all. I feel sorry for the people making serious, disapproving comments about this article. There are plenty of issues to take seriously today; this is not one of them!

September 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Reply
    • momofbron

I think that all of Ben and Jerry's names for ice cream are fun. I love this Schweddy Balls though. I can hardly wait to see it in my supermarket. I will definitely buy it.

September 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  24. Joe in Colorado

I haven't bought ice cream in a grocery store for nearly 10 years, but you can bet I'll be running out to get some Schweddy Balls. One of the best skits ever, plus it sounds pretty good... I love rum.

September 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  25. SNAPPA

I can't tell you the hysterics I was in when I saw that skit. All three of them had such stone solid faces never broke a laugh once. I think I may have peed my pants.

September 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  26. Carol

fantastic!

September 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Reply
  27. Yummers

To go with your Schweddy Balls, the newest flavor in the line-up – Sweet Santorum – riverlets of marshmallow fluff and chocolate fudge in a sweet cream ice cream.

September 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Reply
    • Stbob

+1 +1 +1 for "Sweet Santorum"

September 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  28. Pete Schwetty

I bet Alec Baldwin doesn't get in on the mega-dollar cross marketing deal.

Work for hire, all intellectual rights owned by SNL and licensed out for all perpetuity of intergalactic futures and schwit.

September 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Reply
  29. sockpuppet

You know, it's ironic that all of these conservatives are getting their panties in a bunch over this, considering the original sketch is MAKING FUN OF NPR.

September 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • Eric Sorensen

Good point!

September 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  30. rick Springfield

Now I'm waiting them to put out a Wayne's World flavor of Praline and Dick.

September 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  31. Dan

Thanks for the pertinent news, now my day in complete.

September 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  32. RichardnKS

I hope that they've figured out a way for them to glisten! Personally, I think humor on the edge (or slightly over the edge) of decency is quite appropriate for the holiday season. And I know that Alec Baldwin is a professional actor, but I don't know how he remained in character during one of my favorite SNL skits of all time.

September 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  33. IceT

The way it was presented can be interpreted innocently enough .. it's YOU that makes it a dirty joke by your own imagination ... kind of Fruedian or Rorschach-ian. So, if you want to complain about it, you need to realize it's your understanding of the subject that makes it dirty.

September 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • Enoch100

I would never purchase any product with a name like that.....

September 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  34. Mary

What an entirely disgusting and distasteful name. There are a lot of decent older women out there who will be sooo turned off by this name.

September 11, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • Manbearpig

Then don't buy it....that simple

September 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
    • Dona Ana

Darling, I'm a decent "older" (60) woman and I'd buy just to see the checkout clerk's face. Can't anyone take a joke any more?

September 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Reply
    • Shorty

Mary, Are you a decent older woman?

September 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • Katie K

yeah, but there's all the indecent women like me who will eat up those Schweddy Balls... ; – )

September 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Reply
      • AleeD@Katie K

We all have decent & indecent moments. Who cares either way? To the uptights, pull the hair out and have fun for a change! I'm looking forward to trying the ice cream just for the flavors & the, um "novelty."

September 12, 2011 at 9:52 am | Reply
    • momofbron

Hey, Sister Mary, lighten up. You might be offended by the name, but almost everyone else is having fun with this. You must be some frigid prude.

September 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  35. reality check

So, the dumbing of American society continues to be alive and well. Some folks will throw their money at anything. This campaign of sophomoric marketing only reinforces the obvious breakdown of wholesome values and common sense.

September 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Reply
    • Maty

It's called "fun".

September 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Reply
      • reality check

Your comment is presumably that of one whose chornoligical age is less than a sixth grader.

September 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Reply
      • Maty

No, it's from one whose "chornoligical" age has afforded me the experiences of a very full intellectual, spiritual and emotional life, thus allowing me to chuckle at something prurient or base without any guilt or shame.

September 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Reply
      • reality check

Yes, many like you are infatuated with and compelled to the feeding of your prurient interests so as to make them seem customary, socially acceptable, familiar or even normal. The fact is, sir or madam, there exists a critical shortage of adults that can offer prudent advice, who demonstrate judgmatic reasoning and who make a conscious effort to preserve some semblance of social intellectualism in our once vigorous and vibrant American culture.

September 12, 2011 at 12:41 am | Reply
      • Jess

@ reality check: For goodness sakes get over yourself and have some fun in life. If it the ingredients sound tasty (which they do) then the name of it shouldn't matter. I am not a fan of the Grateful Dead, yet I'll get down with some Cherry Garcia. "That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet"

September 12, 2011 at 8:22 am | Reply
      • reality check

Jess; Dorothy, in the above post, has some words of wisdom that can provide guidance to people with your special needs. In reference to your allusion to Jerry Garcia, he was, and continues to be an icon in the music industry. Your comparison of his cultural contributions to Mr. Baldwin’s distasteful rantings is, quite frankly, inappropriately repugnant. Jerry’s legacy and genius will sustain the test of time, much like the quote that you so ineptly interpret.

September 12, 2011 at 9:36 am | Reply
      • Zach

@Reality Check:

Wrong. Cherry Garcia, in reference to the post you are interpreting, is a flavor of ice cream also made by Ben & Jerry's. Her entire premise was that, while she did not like the music of the Dead, "Cherry Garcia" is a delicious flavor of ice cream despite the cultural reference of its title, and she presumably purchases ice cream because she enjoys the flavor and texture, and not because of every perceived cultural reference in the title that she could possibly infer. Similarly, whether or not you find the name "Schweddy Balls" funny, "a rum-spiked vanilla ice cream base with fudge-covered rum and malt balls aplenty mixed in" sounds delicious to me.

Or, you can stop being so pedantic. Marketing is an important influence in selling any product, and clearly this product was well marketed if you are writing comments in an online message board dedicated to said product. I loved the skit, and the ice cream flavor sounds delicious; I might just go buy myself a pint. That must make me a moron, right?

September 12, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Reply
      • momofbron

SERIOUSLY!!! I didn't know that there were so many "virgins" and puritans in our little blotsphere

September 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • Freda@reality speck I mean check

What do you consider to be "wholesome values?"

September 12, 2011 at 9:46 am | Reply
    • Mahagar

Dear reality check,

I'm normally touting the same spiel as you. I happen to dislike the name as well, and I also agree that in our day and age, we need to be more concerned with upholding our morality, character and general intellectualism. Many factors of today's insatiable society cause our standards to slide. I'm with you on that. But you know what? I don't think you're doing the cause a single benefit by ranting on a CNN message board, accusing people of 'special needs' on rather petty terms. A part of being a mature, upstanding adult is knowing when you keep your mouth shut. Any reasonable point you may have had in your initial argument is clouded by your superior attitude and glazed over arrogance.

September 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
      • reality check

Thank-you Mahagar,

September 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Reply
      • reality check

Thank-you Mahagar,
        I agree that was a poor choice of words considering the American version of the English language is fraught with euphemisms, colloquialisms and re-definitions which can unfortunately be misinterpreted, either spoken or written. My sincere apologies go out to anyone I may have inadvertently offended. I'll be certain to apply a much keener sense of compassion and literary awareness in any of my future postings.

September 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
      • Erica

Dear reality check and Mahagar,

Please, I beg you both to read my post to pierce. I do understand it takes myriad types of individuals to make our world complete, but do you honestly have to wave your superiority flags to everyone? In doing so, I sincerely believe you are instead flaunting your insecurities and are wanting us (apparently the sophomoric types) to indulge your desires to be worshipped by the "lessers." I would have thought that such intellectuals as yourselves would have heard the adage "Better to keep quiet and appear ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt."

September 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • momofbron

It's not thowiing money away if you love ice cream, and the ingredients sound like something you'll like. What, you don't buy ice cream for yourself?

September 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  36. CJH

This was funny when SNL first aired it - in 1998. By this point it's lost a little relevance.

September 11, 2011 at 11:03 am | Reply
  37. Jennifer from Omaha

Apparently they released this earlier than the article states, I located a batch of these at my Walmart on Friday. And I will say, darn tasty! Mmm.. good times.

September 11, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • Shorty

Hmmm... Better check the 'eat by date'

September 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Reply
      • momofbron

Yeah, Old Schweddy balls taste terrible!

September 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • Shorty

Better check the 'eat by date'

September 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  38. kevin

Apparently, those who are offended by this flavor or who think it's supposed to allude literally to a man's testicles did not see the original skit on SNL. The skit is one double entendre after another. In the skit, Baldwin's character – Pete Schweddy – was literally talking about his dessert balls. Quote: "Over at Season's Eatings, we have balls for every taste – popcorn balls, cheese balls rum balls – you name it." That's where the rum flavor comes from in this ice cream. That's part of the joke, but you're not supposed to think about a man's junk while you're buying the ice cream. Many of you people really need to lighten up. The ice cream obviously will not taste like testes, so the suggestion that a company should put out a flavor that tastes like crap is absurd. And regardless of your opinion of Baldwin's politics, he is a brilliant comedic actor and really made the original sketch work.

September 11, 2011 at 4:05 am | Reply
    • Jim Hawk III

And yet, I can't help but think that if this is what grown-ups are like in America now, then the country doesn't have any grown-ups at all–just extremely tall fifth-graders. It's crass, it was intended to be crass, and there's no way you can intellectualize it into not being crass. SNL has been mining under the bottom of the barrel for years, and now Unilever has fallen into the muck with SNL.

September 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Reply
      • cestlavie3

Touche.

A significant portion of the U.S. population revels in crudeness and has no clue as to how it speaks of their character.

September 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Reply
      • kevin

I think you need to lighten up a bit. Adults have always liked immature and crude humor. Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, Benny Hill. And yet adults crack up at it because it's just plain funny. It's silly and ridiculous. And when you consider how utterly ridiculous our entire world has become, is a double entendre regarding the naming of an ice cream flavor really all that offensive? Wait....isn't that a B&J flavor....Udderly Ridiculous? :D

September 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Reply
      • Zach

Then don't buy it. It clearly wasn't marketed to you. Say what you want about the name, the flavor of ice cream sounds delicious, and controversial Ben & Jerry's flavors tend to sell well. Personally, I buy ice cream for the taste and texture, and not the name; but I realize I may be in the minority here.

September 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  39. Reader

This is awesome!!!!!!!! I love both SNL and Ben & Jerry's sense of humor. Very cool Ben & Jerry!!!!

September 11, 2011 at 12:24 am | Reply
  40. Linds

Mmm...I could sure go for some schweddy balls right about now. Scrumdiddlyumptious!

September 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  41. Can take a joke

This is freakin' awesome!!! The funniest thing to be on SNL in years and now it's an ice cream. I love it! I seriously do not understand why people are so bent out of shape. Have they seen the skit? Hilarious!

September 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • Tony T

I love hairy testicles as much as my neighbor, but I simply don't associate them with food, ice-cream in particular.

Do you need a diagram to comprehend that? It's a business decision, more power to them.

September 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Reply
      • WaitWhat?

Uptight much Tony? I figured you would say they were grrrrrrrrrrreat!

September 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Reply
      • Zach

Who said anything about hairy? I believe they were Schweddy. And who said anything about testicles; balls are merely spherical 3-dimensional objects. And sexual inference you make is conjured by your own imagination. And gee willikers, Schweddy Balls does sound good.

September 12, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  42. the REAL god

THIS IS DISGUSTING – very poor judgement – it wouldnt surprise me if they started making a flavor called brown butt holes or Zit puss

September 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Reply
    • BuddyBabez (dot) com

agreed ^

September 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Reply
      • Chadwick

I heard they also have plans for Lemon Dingleberry, Raspberry Jock Itch and coming this fall: Syphilis Discharge

tisk tisk B&J – are you that stupid?

Yuck

September 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • Brandy

Oh lighten up! The Schweddy balls sketch is a hilarious classic, and I think it's equally hilarious that Ben and Jerry's chose to name their ice cream after it. it shows they've got a sense of humor. But hey, I guess to some people rum flavored vanilla ice cream with malted milk balls is pretty "DISGUSTING" and in "poor judgement".

September 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • bbech

Agreed.

September 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Reply
    • WaitWhat?

Big baby...

September 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Reply
    • Penny

There's no SNL skit with a cult following called "brown but holes" or "zit puss" but if there was maybe Ben & Jerry's could jump on the band wagon and make a profitable ice flavor based on it. Get over yourself. That skit was hilarious the first time I heard it and the many times I've heard it since. That's why it will go down in history as one of the funniest comic skits ever written and performed. The acting was the timing of the jokes was perfect. That being said.. the Scheddy Balls rum flavored ice cream sounds delicious and I certainly will buy some to try when it comes out at the end of the month!!

September 11, 2011 at 2:47 am | Reply
      • momofbron

There was a skit with zit pus. It was Jon Lovitz, and his character was Annoying Man. He would do all the things that our kids do to drive everyone crazy. He would hum nonstop, he would drum with his fingers on the table. At the end of the skit, he popped a big zit on his face, and all the contents of said zit, hit the camera lens. No, I don't think that B^&J would name an ice cream after this, but I just had a flashback when you said zit pus.

September 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Reply
    • Humama

This from a dude with the screen name "the REAL god". Seriously, don't be so, um, serious!

September 11, 2011 at 5:39 am | Reply
    • jim d.

really? really? this is what bothers you? really?

September 11, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
    • JackBeHumble

Big Brown Salty Chocolate Balls might be a followup, a tribute to Chef on South Park.

September 11, 2011 at 11:19 am | Reply
      • momofbron

Chocolate Salty Balls – you put 'em in your mouth and you suck 'em!

September 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Reply
    • Zach

Poor judgement? This flavor is bound to sell extraordinarily well, and it sounds like it tests good. Seems like good judgement to me, if you are Ben & Jerry's.

September 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  43. Chris

Wow! I have to agree w/ the person who said Alec Baldwin is a liberal stooge! This does appear to be the blog for a lot of left-wing liberal loons though! And to all you Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin haters, you're all just jealous that their balls are bigger than yours! I swear you are all TERRIFIED at the prospect that a conservative woman is either more educated or just plain smarter than you! Haven't you nags figured it out yet? The more you cry and whine, the more you empower them! So keep the rude and hateful comments coming, they truly just show your ignorance, as well as your fear! I love it! How a blog about the name of an ice cream turns into a slam on Bachman, that's just priceless! (Although I'd be a bit more tactful about the Palin slams, I here Sarah's a pretty good shot!) LMAO! And to "Lindalou", you are apparently a religious scholar? Dear God, I hope not! The assumption that all republicans are nothing but frumpy, humorless bible thumpers is something an ignorant, uneducated loon would say! To the fool that thinks conservatives don't like B&J "because they donate a lot of money to help people" is hilarious! They don't like them because they are liberal loons too! Maybe you should do your research! This country was built by all those "big, bad, wealthy conservatives" who donated tons of cash to every cause imaginable!

September 10, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Reply
    • What?

Wait. What? You realize this is a food blog, right?

September 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • JS

you're calling him a "loon"? How ironic.

September 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Reply
    • Rick Perry@Chris

I am so glad I can count on your vote in 2012. Anita always scratches my balls in the morning....it's a Texas thing.

September 10, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Reply
    • Jesus

why is anyone hiring Alec Baldloser for anything – now that we all know what a scumbag he is

September 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Reply
    • Brandy

Chris, you are fine one to call someone a "loony" or a stooge. You do realize how crazy your rant makes you sound, especially considering that this article was about ice cream?!

September 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Reply
    • Josh

You do realize this is about ice cream, right? I know you right-wing types have a chemical imbalance and you just can't help yourself – but please, just shut up. No one except for elderly lunatics and racist inbreds in deep South really give a crap.

September 10, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Reply
    • Marc A. Ellis

Hey Chris, it's about ice cream, not idiots!

September 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  44. Tony T

..should they want to branch out to tea making: "Balzac T Bagger"

September 10, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Reply
    • The Half Baked Lunatic

Rocky Mountain Oysters, anyone?

September 11, 2011 at 8:38 am | Reply
  45. Tony T

warning on the container: "processed in a plant with pubic hairs"

(for those of you allergic to nutsacks)

September 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  46. Tony T

Idea for next visionary project: ice-cream tribute to the Scatman from the 80s.

September 10, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Reply
    • Ben&Jerry

We have decided to pull Scweddy Balls from production. It will be replaced with Dripping Vag – A Pink ice cream infused with cream pie filling

September 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Reply
      • Tony T

"BBC Cream" and "Catholic Creamer" are in the works.

September 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Reply
      • Zach

Sounds delicious. Please let me know when it's in post production and ends up on shelves. I do like cream pie.

September 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Reply
  47. Tony T

P.S. bring that ice-cream to work around some hypersensitive females, and tell me how it goes.

September 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Reply
    • kevin

I would simply ask them if they'd ever seen the SNL skit, and if not, then I would explain it to them. I would also tell them that the name of the ice cream refers to the character's desserts, not his actual man parts. That's the whole joke of the skit. But it wouldn't stop me from enjoying the ice cream which sounds like it will be delicious.

September 11, 2011 at 4:17 am | Reply