Box lunch: Basil bonds and an appetite for afterbirth
August 22nd, 2011

Sink your teeth into today's top stories from around the globe.

• A palate for placenta.  (We think we'll take your word for it...) - New York Magazine

• This year's ten best additions to your culinary library. - Details

• Is banning cell phones from restaurants the right call? - USA Today

Posted by:
Filed under: Box Lunch • News

1. mad wendy

when i can hear the guy 3 tables over above my dinner companion's conversation the cell phone user needs to be chastised. i'd love it if cell phones were banned from restaurants. really? you are so important that you cant take an hour to eat a meal without it?? turn it off. if i go out to eat with a friend, i wont let them put it on the table like so many others. put it in your purse, pocket. we are talking...that can wait.

August 22, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • AleeD@mad wendy

I agree with your comment "you are so important that you cant take an hour to eat a meal " up to a point. People abuse it and are extremely rude about their cell phone use. In our office, personal cell phone calls are answered inside and continued outside. The heat down here really shortens up time on personal calls. :)

Last week while we were on vacation, we had an understanding that Hubby was allowed to answer his phone from 8-6pm if we were out and about. One exception: he has a friend going thru some serious stuff right now and they text frequently. Why make that exception? Because he includes me in the conversation. That makes a big difference.

August 23, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  2. jillmarie

Agreed. People tend to talk loudly on their phones as well. I have seen several times when a server is trying to take their order, and they keep chatting away. Also, texting at the dinner table is poor etiquette IMO, and I see it happening even at holiday dinners! The worst is during a movie, seeing illuminating phones. I've asked kids to lower their phones so the light's not shining in my eyes while I'm trying to watch the movie I've paid for. Not simply a restaurant thing, of course, but it get worse and worse as phones get more sophisticated!
    Don't get me started on when I'm presenting to a client and they repeatedly pick up their phone while I'm talking business with them. And I hate cheesy ringtones!

August 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Matt@jillmarie

With you on that all the way. I can't stand when in a meeting with a health care professional they are constantly looking at cell phones, blackberrys, etc.

August 23, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  3. Truth

Tough call about cellphones. I think it is ok if used as a camera, but I HATE the person next to me yammering away. I do not need to hear one side of a marital spat over my meal. As useful as cellphones can be, I think they have gone a long way toward enabling rudeness on a whole unprecedented level in our country.

August 22, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • AleeD@Truth

Our technology has exceeded our humanity.

(If I found that on a t-shirt, I'd buy it)

August 23, 2011 at 8:18 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,307 other followers