5@5 - Bourbon for beginners
August 22nd, 2011

September is National Bourbon Heritage Month, and since it'll be here before you can say "corn mash," Trey Zoeller has kindly offered to deliver an introductory course.

Zoeller is the founder and master distiller of Jefferson's Bourbon, and he's got a barrel of information to make your (brown) spirits bright next month - from whether "neat" is the suitable technique to why Kentucky is for bourbon lovers.

Bourbon for Beginners: Trey Zoeller

1. Good bourbon doesn’t need a mixer
"Small-batch or single barrel bourbon is as good (or better in my opinion) as some of the world’s best single malt scotches (and often a fraction of the price). Try drinking bourbon with two to three rocks (ice) or with a splash of ice water.

Take your time and experience the bourbon, allow your taste buds the opportunity to find the caramel, vanilla, toffee and fruit flavors that are delivered from aging in the new charred oak barrels."

2. Bourbon is one of the few brown spirits that tastes as good year-round
"In the summer, enjoy bourbon in an Arnold Palmer at your backyard barbecue. In the winter, try it in a classic Manhattan or holiday-inspired cocktail such as a Hot Toddy."

3. Bourbon is the only true American spirit
"Bourbon has been distilled in this country since the 18th century. Prior to Prohibition, there were more than 1,200 distilleries. Now, there are only nine legal distilleries in Kentucky. My 8th generation grandmother was arrested in Virginia for making and selling moonshine so I come from a long-line of spirit enthusiasts."

4. Aging bourbon is very different from aging Scotch
"Almost all Scotch whisky is aged in used barrels, while all bourbon must be aged in NEW charred oak barrels. Using the barrel one time ensures we get the most from the wood, which imparts flavor and helps remove the stringency of the alcohol.

In Scotch, Irish and other whiskies they use the barrels up to five times. Kentucky’s inconsistent weather causes the bourbon to move in and out of the wood, allowing it to age must faster than other whiskies."

5. Contrary to popular belief, you can call it bourbon even if it’s made outside of Kentucky
"That said, I would not serve my ex-mother-in-law bourbon that was made outside the Commonwealth! Out-of-state distilleries that focus on vodka or gin for example, don’t typically make premium-level bourbon it's best to stick with the Kentucky-made stuff."

Previously - Ways to Make Yourself a Whisky Connoisseur

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Sip • Spirits • Think

1. melanie m

Bourbon and the love of bourbon killed my Father! remember everything in moderation.

September 20, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
  2. Matt

Kentuckian here. While pappy is excellent you shouldnt have to for over 200 dollars for the good stuff. Points for almost anything made by Buffalo Trace distillery (They make blantons and pappy fyi). Elmer T Lee and Eagle Rare are both excellent, espcially for the money (25-30$). Their house brand called "Buffalo Trace bourbon" is solid, but not quite as good, I put it a notch above makers. For a special treat they make a limited addition barrel proof bourbon (~140 proof) called George Stagg that is amazing and goes for 50.

August 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  3. wild bill

I got turned onto the kentucky lifestyle recently; nothing beats a day Keeneland, and a night filled with Booker's.

August 24, 2011 at 7:16 am | Reply
  4. MedicMax

""Small-batch or single barrel bourbon is as good (or better in my opinion) as some of the world’s best single malt scotches (and often a fraction of the price). "

This line just bugs me. I do enjoy bourbon, I have some Maker's Mark sitting in my cupboard as well, but I have yet to find a bourbon that can compare to my favorite Scotch's: Oban and Laphroaig.

August 23, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Reply
    • houstondoc

Bourbon and scotch are very different drinks. I enjoy both. I dont like poor quality versions of either drink. I like the both for different reasons. I dont think it is fair to compare one to the other. Laproaig and a sinble batch bourbon for example Bookers are very different drinks. Both are great whiskeys, It is a matter of individual taste.

August 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  5. Pour Me One

I like my bourbon like my women - 18 years old and full of coke.

August 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • RedinAustin

Normally, I don't respond to Trolls, but that's a good one.

August 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Reply
      • Wade

Angel's Envy is not a bourbon made in Texas. The owners of the brand have not disclosed who distilled the current product, but rest assured it was not them. This brand is under 1 year old and the bourbon in it is over 4 years old – do the math.

August 23, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  6. Julie

Well thansk to the comments section, I now know the difference between whiskey and bourbon – the corn. Ya'd think Zoeller could've included that basic bit of info into an article billed as bourbon for beginners.
    I used to drink Jack Daniels with lime juice all the time. But it began to give me harsh headaches. So I quit.
    And as to his assertion that bourbon is good alyear 'round – that's pushing it. It's been my experience that practically all liquors are good all year 'round.
    ;)

August 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Reply
    • Wes

If you were drinking Jack with Rose's lime Juice, that could cause a headache due to all the sugar in that mixer. Fresh lime juice is a better idea.

August 24, 2011 at 3:01 am | Reply
    • Jerry

My friend, bourbon is a type of whiskey. But not all whiskey is bourbon.

January 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  7. Joe here in Colorado

Who is this beginner that wrote this article?

How about sipping bourbon straight - no freaking ICE, no freaking WATER. And mixing a fine bourbon into mixed drinks????????

Pappy's is the only bourbon I'll drink, thanks.

August 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Ronco answers to no one!

Stop the presses!!! It's all Joe will drink! OMG, we can all die happy now, knowing that is what Joe drinks. Ya know I work with a guy like you, everything is his way or the highway, reminds me of my niece- except she's 3.

Here's a novel idea! Everyone drink what they want! I'll have some chilled Jager...Thanks!

August 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Reply
    • Awsomo

Give me a neat E&J X O Brandy any day.

August 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Would that I could get my hands on some Pappy more easily, but it's a knife fight for it here in NYC.

For a beginner, ice and water are just fine. There's no shame in training wheels if it means that someone isn't scared off and will come back for more.

August 24, 2011 at 3:27 am | Reply
  8. bourbonfan

Four Roses, the small batch....no need to spend the money on the single barrel.

August 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  9. Jeann

Good to see that good old fashioned American alcoholism is alive and well.

August 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
    • Ronco

BEEEEEEEELCH Yup

August 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • Jazzpianist

Party pooper.

August 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  10. George T Stagg

Small batch, uncut and unfiltered... Ufta!

August 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Reply
    • Stagg Fan

Top Spirit of the Year 2011: George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey from the Buffalo Trace Collection.

August 23, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  11. NYsorb

I have drank a good amount of bourbon: Basil Hayden's, Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit. Most recent favorite is Bulleit. Thanks for the information on the others I have not heard of; will be scouring the aisles of local liquor store to find them. Nothing better than bourbon over a couple of cubes!!

August 23, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  12. bdf2

You may be able to call it bourbon, but if it's not from Kentucky, it's not bourbon. It's a knockoff.

August 23, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  13. Rob H

Evan Williams single barrel is the best sub $30 small batch you will find.

Corner Creek is a nice substitute, harder to find, put into old wine bottles, not as sweet and just good stuff.

Step it up to Baker's or Blanton's, and Basil Haden for the $35 set. Again, top shelf stuff for a reasonable price.

Then there's the Pappy Van Winkle. Great for special occasions. Doesn't make sense unless you win a million dollar deal and need a high end US made gift. Forget the scotches, this one will stand up to any 18 year scotch in flavor and texture.

Have fun!

August 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  14. whiskeygirl

no one mentioned knob creek??? that is my fave.

August 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Reply
    • Dave

Bulleit Bourbon is no slouch either.

August 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  15. moneal

Blantons...preferably neat...no subsitutes

August 23, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  16. WineIsFine...

I love it, but high or low it is all just corn liquor... amazing what can be done.

And a julep is an infusion. Don't mash stuff in it. Kinda like a Bourbon Slurpee. Horrible way to treat good Bourbon, though.

August 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • WBMike

Well, not really corn liquor. It just has to have at least 51% corn as one of the things to call it bourbon. Maker's has higher corn content...mmm...tasty stuff!! :D That along with Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Woodford are my favorites.

August 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Reply
      • RYoung

I prosthelytize for Elmer T. Lee (Buffalo Trace's single barrel label which is wonderfully spicy and surprisingly affordable!) Go buy it!

August 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  17. houstondoc

To those not from Kentucky or west virginia who have never had the pleasure of having moonshine, there are severeal distillars in kentucky now that are offering a straight unaged corn whiskey. Several of these are available at Liquor wholesalers and are worth the try.

August 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  18. nitrous

I know a stripper named Mint Julep and she is quite tasty.

August 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  19. wendy

three fingers of makers mark over a cube of ice. niiiiiiiiiiice.

August 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Reply
    • AleeD@wendy

Have you tried whiskey stones? They cool without diluting your favorite beverage.

August 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
      • wendy@aleed

ive never heard of those!! i do have some of those 'plastic' ice cubes... but that just doesnt work with bourbon. i'll have to do some checking for the stones! thanks!

August 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Reply
      • AleeD@wendy

Welks. :D I found some at Total Wine but you can Google "whiskey stone" if you want to get them off the 'net.

Here's an example of what they are.

August 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Reply
      • wendy@aleed

NICE! that'll make a good present for some of my bourbon/whiskey drinkin friends too! thanks!

August 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Reply
    • Sauced

If you think Maker's Mark is good bourbon, you aren't a true bourbon afficianado.

August 23, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Reply
      • Rude much???

Don't be a snob. Maker's Mark is a good entry level bourbon at a good price point. It's a decent bottle of bourbon that you can often find for under $25. If you decide you decide you like bourbon and have a little more disposable income, then you can work your way up the proverbial ladder.

August 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Reply
      • WBMike

Bah, I don't agree at all. its all about personal preference.

August 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
      • Spelling Nazi@Over-Sauced

Apparently you aren't much of a spelling aficionado either.

August 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Reply
      • wendy@sauced

first of all, you must be 'sauced' seeing that you clearly cant spell. second, i didnt claim to be an expert nor did i say it was the best. i said it was 'nice'. please go climb back under your rock captain ignoramus; thank you very much.

August 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Reply
      • HotRod

F**k you, Sauced! Who gives a sh*t what you think? Maker's Mark tastes great, and ESPECIALLY the way Wendy described. That one piece of ice cools it perfectly and gives it just the right mix of water as it melts.

August 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Reply
      • AleeD@wendy

Aw he!!. It's probably vapor stirring up the bourbon.

August 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Reply
      • gggg

Just so you know: aficionado

a·fi·ci·o·na·do/əˌfiSH(ē)əˈnädō/
        Noun: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.

August 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Reply
      • Bourbon fan

Makers has single handedly raised the bar for bourbons. Great value, true traditional boubon that has placed it among quality whiskies of any type. Try side by side tastings with numerous bourbons, Makers always stands tall.

January 10, 2013 at 5:30 am | Reply
  20. NaCl H2O

Awesome screen name!

August 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Reply
    • bassplayer916

I see there's great chemistry between you two

August 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  21. 426Hemi1

I always liked the no longer available Mattingly & Moore, Old Charter 12 year old, Baker's and that pot-still brewed one ....Mitchner's I believe (also no longer available). Dang shame, some of the NLA were the best.

August 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  22. RMS

Well bourbon or not I think Jack Daniels is the best sipping whiskey and as for a Mint Julep – I do Jack Juleps every Derby Day – losts of crushed ice, little squeeze of lime, pour in several shots of Jack Daniels. Top with a sprig of fresh mint so I can call it a julep. Actually have done the simple syrup, mash the mint ordeal and decided it was way too much trouble.

August 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Reply
    • jujubeans

Lime? And you forgot the sugar! That's not a julep.

August 23, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Reply
      • Julep Virgin

I'll try the traditional way first, then I'll probably drop the syrup the 2nd time. Not a fan of sweet beverages.

August 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • Nubes

Jack is cow piss compared to small batch bourbon...thats why its about 10 bucks a bottle...you get what you pay for...Im really not knocking JD and have a bottle of it in the cabinet next to some Basyl Hadens and Woodford Reserve....Its l;ike comparing Budweiser to a premium hand crafted beer

August 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
    • Travelinfl

Jack Daniels bears no resemblance to Bourbon. It does bear a likeness to turpentine though. It is for teens, rednecks and teen rednecks..

August 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Reply
  23. palustris

It's refreshing to see (for the most part anyway) some of the most intelligent discussion in all of CNN's comment areas is taking place right here among fellow Bourbon drinkers. Pappy's 23 is certainly to die for but frankly for the money, Makers Mark does me and my taste buds well.

August 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Reply
  24. Rose

Four Roses Single Barrel is very good stuff if you can find it. A 750 mL bottle goes for about $40 and it ranges from 100-110 proof. The Four Roses brand went through a bad time in the US when Seagram owned it and let the quality go down the tubes. While it has always been very popular in Japan and Europe, they are now working at building it back up as a premium brand in the US. They have a less expensive "Yellow Label" as well as limited small batch editions.

August 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
    • BlackSouthernBoy

For the price, Four Roses is an awesome bourbon. It's a bit sweeter than your standard Makers or Woodford's (another of my favorite), but it's still very, very, good.

August 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Reply
  25. Fritz1871

I'd just like to say, as a Bourbon lover, except for the most heinous bottom shelfers – Teachers, Brokers, Potters – UGH... my philosophy is ... " If it's brown... it's goin' down... " ahhhhh....

August 23, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Reply
    • AleeD@Fritz1871

Ohhhh, I like the way you think .... ~_~ ..... on a number of levels.

August 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Reply
    • @drinkandbemerry

If it's brown, it's goin' down! – Love that thought!!

August 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  26. httr

Evan Williams bourbon is the best kept secret. Great bourbon at a good price.

August 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • Evan WIlliams

Amen brother...

August 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Reply
    • Sam I. Am

Glad someone brought it up. There are many good bourbons out there, any many are much more expensive. But I don't think you can go wrong with Evan Williams for the price. It's smooth, and in the winter I like to just sip it straight from a crystal old fashioned glass. No ice, no water, no mix.

August 24, 2011 at 1:09 am | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Evan Williams is my house bourbon. Solid, inexpensive and I'm happy to drink and serve it. It may not have the fire of a Pappy Van Winkle or the cachet of a Blanton's or Booker's, but it works for me.

August 24, 2011 at 1:38 am | Reply
  27. otis

It is NOT bourbon if it is made outside of Bourbon County, Kentucky. While it is the same recipe and tastes the same, it doesn't fit the criteria. Even Jack Daniels, though it is considered a bourbon is actually a Tennessee Whiskey, and it says so right on the bottle. Its like Champagne. Even though there are lots of things called Champagne, the only true ones are the ones that come from the Champagne region of France. All the rest are Sparkling Wines. Jesus, if you are going to write an article on something at least have your facts right.

August 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Reply
    • BL

Actually, it's "Jack Daniel's." Not to put too fine a point on it.

August 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • houstondoc

You have to understand though that when Bourbon Whiskey came about Bourbon county was a much larger area that encoumpased a large swath of Northeastern and Central Kentucky.

August 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • houstondoc

In fact I think 37 Kentucky Counties arise from the original Bourbon County.

August 23, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
    • RedinAustin

The legal definition of bourbon has no requirement that it must be from Bourbon County.

August 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • houstondoc

The legal definition of Bourbon is set by all things the North American Free Trade Agreement, but purist will always argue that only whiskeys distilled by certain criteria from the central kentukcy region should be labled and refered to as bourbons. The article is right though from a trade standpoint this is not the case.

August 23, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
    • Wade

Otis – you are the one that needs to check your facts. Bourbon has to be made in the United States, but not limited to KY. It's the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) that regulates the definition of spirits in the US. Go the their website and read Ch. 4 for yourself: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml

August 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • Mantawolf

Jack isn't bourbon because it is charcoal filtered...

August 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    • kytransplant

Agree w Houstondoc that Bourbon Co originally included a very large portion of the Commonwealth's current territory, as well as some of Virginia. I don't know of any labels out of Bourbon Co., those I'm most familiar with being located in Nelson Co or Woodford Co.

August 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    • Paul

Berkshire Mountain Distillers of Massachusetts would probably beg to differ, they make an unbelievable product by the rules, and can call it bourbon.

August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Reply
    • Kyboy

Actually, whiskey can be called bourbon even if it is make outside of Kentucky. Kentucky is the only state that is legally allowed to put its name on a bottle of bourbon though. Most bourbons do come from Kentucky, but they can come from any Ky. County. In fact, one of the largest distilleries (Buffalo Trace – make of Blanton's, Van Winkle, Elmer T. Lee and others) is located in Franklin Co. (Frankfort).

August 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Reply
      • Wade

Wrong – any bourbon made in any state can put their state on bottle. Example – In Texas – Garrison Brothers makes Texas Straight Bourbon.

August 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Reply
      • RedinAustin

Hey Wade, try Angel's Envy. It's another Texas bourbon. A retired master distiller from Woodford set it up a few years ago. Not bad and not badly priced either. It's also easier to get than Garrison Brothers.

August 23, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  28. Dennis

Inexpensive but good – Old Forester
    Hard to find but very good – Old Weller 107 Brand
    Woolford Reserve not bad but somewhat over priced.
    Not a fan of Old Crow, Jim Beam nor the Tennessee Whiskey – JD

August 23, 2011 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • BL

You sir, are a gentleman!. Love that old Weller and water combo...smooth!

August 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Reply
      • Goodmanatl

Hand down the best I've ever had – Very Very Old Old Fitzgerald, 15 year. My stash was my grandfather's, he was saving it for a specail occasion, but he passed. I cracked a 1970 (barreled in 1955) and served it has his funeral...that's special enough...He would have agreed with the authors first point. You dont mix good bourbon. As far as new bourbon goes, Maker's 46 is nice and sweet, Maker's Mark is solid, Buffalo Trace is nice, Beam is handy in a pinch, Pappy Van Winkle 20 year (Pappy him self owned the Old Fitz brand back in the day) is nice when you can find it. The touch of wheat makes it smooth. Its probably the closest today to the VVO Old Fitzgerald.

August 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply
    • houstondoc

Bookers, Blantons and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are my favorites

August 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Reply
      • alpg49

Wild Turkey is strictly for sipping. If you want to overindulge, spare the bird.

don't ask how I know!

August 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Reply
      • Esteban

Big fan of Booker's, which is made by Jim Beam.

Additionally, Wild Turkey 80 or 101 are fine selections for a Saturday of college football.

August 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Reply
      • Conrad Shull

Turkey Rare Breed is exceptional – can't get it in State Monopoly Pennsylvania.

August 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • coffeeman

Old Weller....good call!

August 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • The Other Paul

Regular Weller (90 proof) is also very good.

August 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Reply
  29. T

Buffalo Trace all the way!

August 23, 2011 at 11:33 am | Reply
  30. Jimmy D

Sorry...all bourbon tastes like moose pee. I weant to like it...just cant make it happen. I'm a clear liquor guy myself...gin and vodka.

August 23, 2011 at 11:25 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Tanqueray gin, little 7-up and a slice of lime, so good.

August 23, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • Stew Pedassle@Jimmy D

How do you know what moose pee tastes like?

August 23, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
      • Conrad Shull

I think we know why his taste buds went south.

August 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
      • Jimmy D

Drank too much bourbon one night...it got ugly. A moose, two Cubans and a shotgun was involved.

August 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Reply
    • WasabiPotPie

when do you drink moose pee and why?

August 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
      • Jimmy D

See above. Its all good...

August 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • Phil

Vodka is for trendy trust-fund pretentious metrosexual fluffs. Men drink Whiskey.

August 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Reply
      • Jimmy D

Sorry...no trust-fund. You nailed me on the rest, though.

August 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Reply
    • HotRod

My favorite moose pee is Crazy Karl's Bladder #27. Oh, and only REAL moose pee comes from from Canada. Everything else is just plain old cow urine, which tastes like dog poop.

August 23, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
      • coffeeman

LMAO!!! Nice one....rec for the "real Moose pee" comment...well played.

August 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  31. Michele Bachmann

My husband Marcus Bachmann ( who by the way is gay ) informs me that all those who partake of spirits will burn in hell.

August 23, 2011 at 11:15 am | Reply
    • Rachel M

You sound like you need a drink.

Anybody know what bourbon goes best with trolling?

August 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Reply
      • Jeff F

Generally trolls will drink anything that comes in a plastic bottle. I would guess this was a Bartons drinker.

August 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
      • Michele Bachmann

*** poot ***

August 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  32. Darrel

Bourbon, Irish and Scotch, the three waters of life. A good one is a good one which ever flavor, that said I truly do love the Kentucky Kool Aid the best

August 23, 2011 at 10:59 am | Reply
  33. charls

Any Kentucky bourbon is great, just some are greater. Maybe if Congress should have some during lunch, things would go better in the afternoon. Kentucky bourbon is the essence of America. Wonderful stuff.

August 23, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply
  34. Ken

Makers Mark is my favorite bourbon.

August 23, 2011 at 10:18 am | Reply
    • rufus

Ditto! Old Forrester is good for the price, too!

August 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  35. Wade

If you are going to label someone a "Master Distiller", then that person should actually be in charge of the still that makes their product. Jefferson's Bourbon is a label that fills products with bourbon made at other distilleries; they do not own a still and therefore Trey can't be a Master distiller. You may like the product and Trey may do a good job at picking barrels and blending them, but call it like it is.

August 23, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
    • Jazzpianist

Interesting............

August 23, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  36. KazarSoze

Sad to say how much of a bourbon snob I've become. I try as many different makes as I can and I have to say Woodford Reserve kicks a lot of ass. Still trying to get my hands on some Pappy's 23 year old. If you have the opportunity, I highly suggest going on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail – its a tour of 6 of the larger bourbon makers in the region. You tour the distilleries and sample all the wares. Plus if you plan it right, you can sample more wares from the smaller makers via the local restaurants. Plan a weekend and maybe a designated driver.

August 23, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • jpip

@KazarSoze
      I had the opportunity to be with a group on a private tour of Woodford Reserve's distillery on of all days Election Day 2008. Quaint Election Day Blue Laws delayed our start to sampling the bourbon until after 6:00, but the bourbon balls were in abundance. I agree that it is a fine product, however I had my head turned by Four Roses at a bourbon tasting last fall and I am now torn between the two. Also, one can never go wrong with Maker's and when I'm looking for the less expensive stuff, Evan Williams and coke is a good companion.

August 23, 2011 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • rch1559

kazar, you get the cigar. Woodford is the best! For the less expensive stuff, 10 year old Ancient Age, believe it or not, is pretty good, if you can find it.

Years ago I would have argued for Jack Daniels black label, but when they started monkeying around with it in what, the late '70s early '80s it went way south real fast, IMHO.

August 23, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
  37. dan

Jefferson's Bourbon is one of the finest, widely available whiskeys I have ever tried. It's my go to now! Keep up the great work Trey.

August 23, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
  38. Jack not Daniels

When I was in KY on business, I was fortunate enough to have Jefferson's Reserve recommended to me. It is by far the best Bourbon I ever tasted and in 65 years I have tried them all. I got 4 bottles for my daughters wedding and everyone who tried it loved it. It is the Rolls Royce of Bourbon. When you try it, you won't want anything else. It has a very pleasant aroma and the taste is a little heavier then standard Bourbon but exceptional with ice. Please don't mix it with coca cola!

August 23, 2011 at 9:28 am | Reply
  39. Conrad Shull

What you need to know about bourbon if you are a beginner: Sip it over only a couple of cubes of ice with only a splash of water (or neat, if you prefer). Never do "shots" (drink iced vodka for that). Others might disagree, but my opinion is: best bottom shelf, Old Crow; best mid-shelf, Jim Beam Black; best top shelf, Woodford Reserve.

August 23, 2011 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • RedinAustin

Not a bad list, but I think I would go for Evan Williams (with a drop of water), Maker's Mark or Bulliet, and Pappy Van Winkle (although it's severly limited in supply).

August 23, 2011 at 9:31 am | Reply
      • Conrad Shull

Buliet's definitely in competition for mid-shelf brands, that's true. Truth is, there's not too many bad bourbons. What a shame.

August 23, 2011 at 11:10 am | Reply
      • Evan WIlliams

[Like]

August 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Reply
    • Neil

I would say Woodford is Mid shelf at best with beam black very low. More like Makers or knob creek for a low shelf bourbon.Try Blantons Single barrel for a nice "top Shelf" pappy van winkle is also a nice one with some good vintages. Mid – high shelf; Eagle Rare, Basil Haydens, Bakers.

August 23, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
      • Conrad Shull

The way you "shelve" things, you must be a really tall guy.

August 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  40. Jeff

@Mandy, would that be the same limestone that makes up a large portion of Tennessee? Yep it is. However the boys down in Lynchburg don't know how to make real bourbon, JD is the Budweiser of Bourbon in my opinion.

August 23, 2011 at 8:56 am | Reply
    • AleeD@Jeff & Mandy

Jeff, you bring up an interesting point. Florida's water is filtered thru limestone and we don't have a rep for making bourbon. So there's got to be more to it than that ......

August 23, 2011 at 9:03 am | Reply
    • Sam

@Jeff, JD isn't Bourbon so it can't be the Budweiser of Bourbon.

August 23, 2011 at 9:13 am | Reply
      • Mark Larezzo

Not true. Jack Daniels is a bourbon by definition. Just because they dont call it that on the label doesnt mean it isnt one

August 23, 2011 at 11:13 am | Reply
      • RB

Jack Daniel's may be considered a Bourbon legally due to meeting mashbill and aging requirements, but the Tennessee distillers themselves choose to call it Tennesee Whiskey because the charcoal filtering that gives JD its distinct, mellow character is an extra step that Bourbon does not go through. For this reason, most Bourbon afficiandos would agree that that JD is not a "true" Bourbon.

For me, Maker's Mark is the best mixing Bourbon because the wheat allows it to be softer and sweeter. For sipping, I like something a little more robust. For this, I'd probably pick Buffalo Trace even if it weren't the best value on the market! I think the most underrated Bourbon is Wild Turkey 101. Jimmy Russel has preserved the old style pre-Prohibition character of Bourbon better than anyone – a heck of a product.

August 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Reply
        • Stan

Yeah, for the price Buffalo Trace probably represents the best balance of taste and price.

If you are talking about the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, I will totally agree with you... it is quite a departure from their standard brand. They make a decent rye as well.

January 9, 2013 at 9:24 am |
      • Jasper Joe

Duh...JD is NOT a bourbon dude. be DEFINITION, bourbon is aged in charred barrels. JD is done in stainless steel, so no way. Is it an OK whiskey...sure, as long as you don't want real bourbon taste.

August 23, 2011 at 11:30 am | Reply
      • Evan WIlliams

Have any of you ever been to the JD distillery? I didn't think so. JD IS – I repeat – IS aged in oak barrels. Where do you folks come up with this stuff? lol

August 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
      • Jack Daniel's@Evan Williams

They get if off the internet. Urban Dictionary mostly.

August 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Reply
      • Andrew

Jack Daniel's is NOT made in stainless steel barrels. They're charred white oak barrels.

August 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Reply
      • Jsack-&-Coke

It's amazing how they get that wood taste out of that stainless steel! It's all good. Thank god we don't all love the same thing, or there wouldn't be enough to go around ;-)

August 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  41. Julep Virgin

Someday I'm going to go to Kentucky and have a mint julep. Never had one.

August 23, 2011 at 7:19 am | Reply
    • RedinAustin

Crushed mint, simple syrup or sugar, bourbon, a spritz of seltzer, and ice. That's all it is. They're easy to make. I make them at home in the late spring and early summer when my garden mint is at it's best, but if you can get mint at the local mega-mart, go for it and enjoy!

August 23, 2011 at 9:26 am | Reply
  42. Mandy

Bourbon is made in Kentucky because the groundwater is naturally filtered through the limestone beneath the state, which removes iron. With unfiltered water, the bourbon will become quite black. To make it in another state, you have to intensively filter the water for impurities.
    And pfft. My great grandad owned a moonshine still in Kentucky and never got caught.

August 23, 2011 at 2:36 am | Reply
  43. Jack Daniels

I'm glad we in Tennessee are more civilized about drinking our Whiskey,without having to extend our pinkie while sipping that Kentucky Bourbon.

August 22, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Reply