Brown bag lunches not too cool for school
August 8th, 2011

When you're packing your kid's lunchbox in the morning, the ice pack is just as important as the fruit and the sandwich. And new research finds you might need more than one to keep your little one healthy.

Looking at the lunches of preschool age children, Texas researchers found that 98% of the time the food was not as cold or as hot as it should be for safe eating, even if packed in an insulated lunch box or stored in a hot thermos. This means your child may be more likely to come home with a stomach ache.

"This is a red flag. This means that the recommendations for food safety are not being followed," said Dr. Steve Abrams, member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition.

Read the full story: "Secret for a safe kid's lunch: Extra ice"

Posted by:
Filed under: Health News • News • School Lunch

1. dfgdfg

will turn your child into a shy hermit

September 7, 2011 at 11:54 am | Reply
  2. Mildred

Though I must say, some things are better cold(er). Strawberries (especially if already washed and hulled), yogurt, etc.

August 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  3. Mildred

Well, I must say that they at least have some interesting ice/gel packs. I picked up one last night in the shape of a pink daisy (because I didn't want the monkey, the baseball, or the soccer ball). I even have a small box I got when picking up bento supplies in San Francisco that holds a slim ice pack in the top. There's a few "keep it fresh" lunchbox/Tupperware like containers with gel packs in them on the market now.

August 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  4. Mare

We used to get tuna sandwiches mixed with mayo, and a slice of cheese on the sandwich. Or cold pizza. I only remember getting sick once while in school – and that was before lunch!

August 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • AleeD@Mare

That's right. I forgot we had the occasional tuna salad sandwich, too. They never spoiled or became even mildly inedible. It's BS – unless you have a kid with a sensitive issue, then it's a different pot to stir.

August 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  5. Evil Grin

How is it that 98% of the lunches aren't safe to eat, but no kids are getting sick?

I call bologna on the whole thing.

August 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • Oscar Mayer

You called?

August 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Reply
    • Jerv@EG

Hear, hear!

August 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  6. Jerv

Okay sure, extra ice is nice. Back in the day I could have given a rip if the lunch was hot, cold or room temperature. I ate it and was ready to eat again when I got home from school. And If i had a stomach ache, it was from being hungry.

August 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • AleeD

Amen. mom packed our lunches, didn't include ice or blue kool packs and we never got sick. Had mayo on the meat & cheese sandwiches; cream cheese instead of the PB in a PB&J sometimes; milk in our thermoses 100% of the time.

People need a reality check about food safety.

August 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Reply