July 28th, 2011

Are your tastes on the wild side? If you have the chance to venture on up to Alaska, you just might be in luck.

iReporter Jack Lanam is a 36 year old U.S. Army Civilian working as a Information Technology Specialist in Fairbanks, Alaska. While he says that city fare in the nation's northernmost state is pretty much the same as anywhere, with outposts of chain restaurants like McDonald's, Burger King, Carl's Jr. and Chili's, further into the wilderness, things get a little gamey. As in big game like moose, bear and reindeer.

Lanam, an avid hunter, told iReport's Cortnee Howard, "I love to eat just about anything, but I love a good steak. In Alaska, I have eaten muktok (whale blubber), dry fish (dried salmon), dry meat (dried moose), yak, elk, noose, bear and Reindeer. The yak was cooked over a spit large enough for the whole animal to be rotated over a large fire, and driven by a tractor motor. My diet has not changed much other than quantity."

In Inuit territory, CNN International reports that the traditional diet is being replaced by junk food because of climate change.

Barry Smit, a professor at the University of Guelph, Canada has spent five years researching how melting ice is making it difficult for Inuits to maintain their diet of seal, walrus, whale and polar bear, and causing many young people to turn to processed food. That's leading to levels of obesity and dental problems previously unseen when the native diet was centered around raw meat.

Read Inuit lives and diets change as ice shifts on CNN International and complete coverage on Earth's Frontiers.

CNN's Destination Adventure series takes a look at destinations for the wanderer at heart. We're kicking things off with Alaska. Each week, we'll feature favorite regional foods, secrets from the locals and the best photos and stories from readers. Have you been to Alaska? Share your story with CNN iReport. Next week, we'll journey to Hong Kong.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Alaska • America • Destination Adventure • Inuit • iReport • Travel

1. Chi Mom

I was born and raised in Anchorage. I loved growing up there – fishing, camping, hiking in the summer and sledding, ice skating in the winter. The city offers plays and museums – art and history.

August 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  2. Noxious Sunshine

Dude... Fry bread tacos are bomb dizzle... (found down here in the lower parts)

Not so sure about Inuit food though.. I'm good on the whale blubber..

July 29, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants the Alaskan, born and raised

A lot of Native food tasts like da poopoo. I cannot explain to you the rancid-ness of a lot of nativefood. It's why half their teeth are missing by age 33. McDizzles is popular for this reason.

July 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • RichardHead

I heard smoked Yak Penis was very popular at your place?

July 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  4. Mike

One of the main reasons they are turning to junk food is because the younger generation does not want to go out and hunt, they want to watch TV and go on the Internet on their satellite hookups. They also are no longer nomadic, I.E. following the food. I lived there for a VERY long time, and this is the sad truth of it. Oh, and it's muktuk; at least to the Athabascans.

July 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  5. alaskan

I've been in Alaska my whole life and would love to know where the author went yak hunting? The only yaks I have heard of in Alaska live on a farm. Also, natives eat junk food becuase they LOVE it. Every one I have met drinks more soda than water on a daily basis, and unfortunately you cannot blame their high soda intake on global warming threatening their drinking water supplies.

July 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Another life long alaskan

I've lived, hunted and fished in Alaska my entire life. I too am interested in where the yak came from. As for junk food and soda they have come into the diet of Natives and all other peoples in Alaska.

July 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  6. Mahna Mahna

It is a necessity for the Inuit to consume these foods but there is no reason to turn it into a tourist novelty considering we already have Japan eating half the ocean filled with intelligent life.

July 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  7. HawaiiWahine

It is little nuggets in entertainment stories like this one that remind us that Global Climate Change is real. Sadly the animals that Inuits use as food sources are having a tough time surviving. As a conservationist, I appreciate that you pointed this out.

July 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  8. Multi-Tasking @ Work

sorry, no can do on the whale blubber...the fresh caught salmon is so delish

July 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm |