5@5 - Five reasons to consider the goat
July 26th, 2011

There is a newer, more popular kid on the block - and he can grow a beard.

When Andrew Knowlton, the Restaurant and Drinks editor of Bon Appétit magazine, was recently asked if goat meat was the next darling of the culinary world, this is what he had to say:

While goat sits somewhere near the bottom on the list of America's favorite proteins, it's the most widely consumed meat on the planet. Goat has found a place on a few high-end restaurant menus thanks to chefs who know it's healthy, sustainable, and delicious in a lamby sort of way.

And Jessica Wilson, who is the executive chef of the appropriately named Goat Town restaurant, might be bleating with joy to hear that.

Five Reasons to Consider the Goat: Jessica Wilson

1. They're, well, delicious!
"For it being a game meat, it’s definitely much sweeter. The fat in it is very flavorful and tender, and that releases a lot of aromatic tastes.

It's flavorful in a different way than traditional meats. And as with any meat, wherever you source from – and how much the goat is being worked - is going to factor into the taste.

If they’re not out there running around and constantly grazing, if it’s brought up in a way that’s not right, that body of meat is going to be tougher. It's got to be relaxed and able to do its own natural processes."

2. Take advantage of it - it's there!
"Nowadays, it’s easier to access - just because people want to know where their food is coming from. Usually it was a whole goat, just because the demand was lower, but now at the farmers market, you can get goat meat.

If you haven't cooked it before, I would recommend definitely curing it, even just short a cure of sugar, salt and aromatics - something to seal in the juices before you cook. I would also recommend putting it on the grill to get a char before you braise it, instead of browning it in a sauté pan."

3. Nutritious and delicious
"Goat meat is leaner and has a lot of nutritional qualities. It’s much lower in calories and fat. It does have fat on it, but it’s leaner. The saturated fat is very, very low compared to beef.

The cholesterol levels in it are also very low for traditional meat. It’s very high in iron, and for someone like myself who is slightly anemic and needs that extra iron, you get high amounts of iron in goat.

There’s a lot of calcium in it; there are lower sodium levels as well. There are lots of health benefits!

It's leaner than chicken, lamb, pork, beef – it doesn’t need a lot of seasoning either because there is a lot of natural flavor. And then you have the milk, which is a whole other thing."

4. Go(a)t milk?
"I grew up with goat milk on a farm in Vermont so that's what I always drank - I didn’t have cow milk growing up. Your body can break it down better - for people who are lactose intolerant, it’s better for you. Your body recognizes it’s a little better; it’s easier to digest.

The calcium level is a little bit purer - there’s not as much processing to it. And goat milk, as with cow milk, definitely aids in strengthening bones."

5. It's always been around
"For many cultures, they’ve been celebrating it for a very long time. It's a religious statement - a beautiful animal that should really be celebrated.

Sure, goat might be kind of an unfamiliar place to go or maybe you had goat meat before when it was really tough, but the flavor in it is amazing. As with anything, even if you had it once before, you should at least revisit it one more time."

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Think

1. Ann

Lamb's my favorite red meat, actually, so I'm game. But it's not something one comes across everywhere. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store.

July 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  2. Cuteboi

Speaking of goat, anyone care to eat Lindsay Lohan?

July 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Love cute boys

That made me barf.

November 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Reply
  3. james

I raise rabbit to eat. It's great and very lean.

I've never eaten goat, but I would definitely like to try it. I would buy one to raise for meat if I had the room.

July 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  4. Dr. Seuss

"Would you, could you with a goat?"

July 27, 2011 at 10:23 am | Reply
  5. Terri

More BANG for your Buck! @ Earl: goats cannot digest cedar or pine needles. You may want to clear that from the woods

July 27, 2011 at 9:53 am | Reply
  6. Chartreuxe

Human beings are omnivores. Our dentition is clearly evolved to eat plants and animals. In my home we have days when we eat vegetarian and days when we eat meat, for purely environmental reasons. We eat animals that have been raised and slaughtered humanely: free range chickens, cage free eggs, grass-fed beef, bison, etc. It all tastes better, it's lower in fat and it has fewer additives, carcinogens and contaminants. As survivor of three forms of cancer, this is very important to me. It would be better for all humans to eat more vegetarian meals for the sake of their health and for the sake of the environment.

Human beings outnumber rats on the planet. You and I are more numerous than vermin. This emotional appeal to stop eating animals because they feel pain or because they're cute turns off many of the people who see it. Factory animals wouldn't exist if it weren't for the demand for food, did you ever think of that? Piglets are born because people want to eat pork. Were it not for the demand for meat, there wouldn't be calves or piglets or chicks born each day and reared on farms for their appearance and cute appeal. Nor would there be kids (baby goats).

July 27, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Dr. Seuss

and your point would be?

July 27, 2011 at 10:24 am | Reply
  7. NoFaceBook

I don't see any reason to add another animal to the list of those that I eat. If anything, I prefer to remove living creatures from my diet.

July 27, 2011 at 9:29 am | Reply
  8. Mildred

I love goat curry. And I love goat cheese. Just not together.

July 27, 2011 at 8:30 am | Reply
  9. Sarah Urban

Goat is yummy, especially in curry or the goat soup that they sell in certain ethnic restaurants..

July 27, 2011 at 7:42 am | Reply
    • suj

Are you talking a traditional goats head "soup" like its made and served in Iraq? That was one of the most shocking ethnic dishes I've eaten. It wasn't bad, but I've never felt compelled to try to recreate the experience. I've never particularly cared for eye balls, and those are considered one of the best parts of the dish. I'd almost agree, because they don't taste like goat :)

July 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Reply
  10. Penn

I wrote a blog about eating goat... penningtonsfoodstory.blogspot.com Check it out!

July 27, 2011 at 7:38 am | Reply
  11. snuggebunny

So is that a yes or do i have to wait until the morning? i am such a lost little goat and need to be found from my honey who loves me!

July 27, 2011 at 4:21 am | Reply
  12. snuggebunny

I am the lonely goat and need some TLC now. can you come get me please...

July 27, 2011 at 4:11 am | Reply
  13. anouk

my mother in law makes a tomato based sauce with goat and for the sake of my sanity, i thank the lawd for her and my husband. goat is delicious, flavorful and lean – the way she makes it, the meat is so tender and just delicious. she even makes black eye peas with the meat stock. also, fried goat tossed with curry is to die for nibble. i request it when we visit and she feeds my addiction during the holidays.

July 27, 2011 at 12:22 am | Reply
  14. Jo

I have two pet goats. I love them but not because they taste good! I will have to hide this terrible article from them. My little goaties come first, please don't eat goats.

July 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Reply
  15. corbel

This is awful....just when we're making some progress against eating meat (which is not necessary in near the volumes we consume it), CNN tries to get a story by interviewing some chef who says that goat meat is "in".

People, there are no longer "farms"–there are ANIMAL FACTORIES that produce the chickens, pigs, cows you eat. I used to work on a small farm in Missouri many years ago....they've all been taken over by corporate farms. Don't buy into this story's hype about how great goat meat is for you...all meat is high in cholesterol and fat and it's unnecessary to eat it, esp. in the quantities we do. CNN is just trying to drum up a story;they don't care about animal welfare OR your health. Don't fall for this hype.

July 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Reply
    • abbyful

LOL, where do you get your information?! There are still many farms! I live in Missouri and frequently go back to Kansas to visit family, there are tons of farms.

Yes, they are smaller than the factory-farm operations, but you can buy meat/livestock directly from many farmers (usually a 1/4 or 1/2 the animal) or buy from farmers when they set up at local farmer's markets. Here in Kansas City there's a business that obtains and distrubutes local meat once a week, I buy from them every few months, it's' all from local pastured livestock, you just sign up for a package and they deliver it to your doorstep.

July 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  16. TriXen

Mexican style goat chili is hella badass.

July 26, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  17. Muttonchops

Goat meat is called mutton in south asian countries and is often cooked on festive occasions. Mutton Biryani and Mutton curry is quite popular.You can buy them from a few Indian grocery stores. Its a lot flavorful than Lamb and beef.

July 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  18. adzakael

i love lamb.its tastier than beef.i always fry it on dry pan without oil and eat it with plain white rice and some fresh green vegetable...enough to make me happy.

but beware of malaysian goat. unlike lamb, this guy can put you in ICU if you have heart problem, really fast. malaysian goat is known for its strong smell and after taste and its high content of cholesterol . it is also considered to be very 'hot', so never eat it together with durian or else you will collapse.

July 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  19. xxsevensxx

Eat that goat....before it eats you.

July 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Reply
    • Che-3

Peddling FEAR like a typical GOP? You must be a fear monger just like delusional, bunker mentality Dick Cheney. Goats don't scare me!

July 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  20. Kuya Chriso

Calderetta, masarap!

July 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Reply
  21. mousey dan

The goat above pictured disagrees completely with the article below featured.

July 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Reply
    • Che-3

How? You didn't explain.
      You doubt GOAT have no personality of their own? Let me ask you this:- Do you have personality of your own?
      You're the odd man out on this one.

July 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  22. Thomas Geis

I have raised goats since 1978. Milk is magical; meat is delicious. Strangely enough, my surname in German translates to goat. Cow milk is homogenized – look up xanthene oxidase and find out why it is killing you. Enough said.

July 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  23. Doomguy

Had goat once at an Indian restaurant. It was pretty d4mn tasty!

July 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Reply
  24. RT

I needed 6 reasons to eat that goat, oh well.

July 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  25. Bob

It's tasty!!!! That's why.

July 26, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  26. Burbank

Awww! That goat is so cute, how could anyone kill and eat it.

July 26, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Reply
  27. Bazoing

Why I should not eat goat? It is incredibly expensive.

July 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Reply
    • Che-3

Narrrrrh! It's the usual GOP peddling nonsense of price hikes in goat meats so that they could get you to eat their induced fat cows full of doping chemicals to get you sick on their death squad health plan. Take it from me, you can buy goat meat with pennies from your piggy bank.

July 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  28. RT

That goat has freaky eyes!

July 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Reply
    • Che-3

Oh please! You just jealous! You're picking on a cute goat that is doing all it can to pose for a photo. It takes goal skills to pose for such a shot. Jealousy kills lazy the cat. Pick someone of your size. Will ya! Whew, some people.

July 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Reply