Eatocracy recently ran a comment-inducing post entitled "Please don't eat in the bathroom." Devna Shukla, an Associate Producer for CNN's AC360°, shares her own tale of stall dining, how it helped her embrace her Indian heritage, and how she'll never do it again.
Growing up in a small town in Ohio, I had no concept of the true meaning of “diversity.” I was the only girl of color in my small private school and among the sea of blonde hair and blue eyes, my ethnic features always stood out.
My first generation interpretation of diversity was that we all had two competing identities: one inside of school (where I was American) and one at home (where I was Indian). I was just as eager to dress up as a Spice Girl for talent shows as I was to wear the traditional salwar kameez to Indian parties.
My two worlds rarely collided. My parents created a bilingual household and made sure to adopt American traditions like Halloween, and Fourth of July parties.
Linda Petty is an editor at CNN Living. She likes boxed mixes, tarted-up vegetables, letting produce rot in her crisper, eating breakfast at her desk, raiding your pantry, and ice cream cones.
I sweat a lot for a not-very-skinny girl, and Atlanta summers can be sweltering. They were even hot before some smart aleck weatherman invented the heat index so we could feel hotter than the thermometer reading.
But even before I moved South, I had a habit of chewing on cold things to beat the heat. As a child and even past the point where I was old enough to drive, I would pour grape Kool-Aid into ice-cube trays and freeze it.
Sucking on the purple cubes was a great way to cool off - that is until I overindulged and almost developed frostbite on my tongue.
A small tray of vegetable samosas costs $35 at the Mughal Express restaurant. But one particular tray, sold to strict Hindu vegetarians, might end up costing the Edison, New Jersey, restaurant a whole lot more.
The Hindu customers said the restaurant served them meat samosas, harming them emotionally and spirituality. A state appellate court ruled Wednesday that they can sue for the cost of travel to India to purify their souls.
Read the full story: "Hindu diners sue Indian restaurant for selling meat samosas"
A malfunctioning forklift dropped 462 cases of wine in Australia on Thursday, a spill with a price tag of more than $1 million.
The 5,544 bottles of 2010 Mollydooker Velvet Glove shiraz, with a price tag of $185 a bottle, fell almost 20 feet to ground of a wharf in Port Adelaide as the forklift was loading it for shipment abroad, according to media reports.
"We just couldn't believe it," winemaker Sparky Marquis said in a report on Adelaide Now. "As you can imagine, this wine is our pride and joy. To see it accidentally destroyed, and not consumed, has left us all a bit numb.
Read the full story: "Whoops! $1 million worth of wine spilled"
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 8,141 other followers