Tackling the cone
July 21st, 2011

Linda Petty is an editor at CNN Living. She likes boxed mixes, tarted-up vegetables, letting produce rot in her crisper, eating breakfast at her desk and raiding your pantry.

First of all, there is a big difference between “enjoying” ice cream and “needing” ice cream - so for the sake of time, we will not even discuss the one-person, one-spoon and one-carton method of scarfing down the frozen medicine of your choice.

But during your saner moments – do you prefer your ice cream in a bowl or a cone? Easy question, right?

If you are a bowl person, your style of dining is more or less one spoonful at a time. The only variations are in the size of bowl and spoon, flavors and what toppings you might add. Although, there are those who gently take spoonfuls versus those who mash the scoops of ice cream and toppings together into a sort of semi-frozen gravy before eating - but I digress.

For the cone, there are so many more styles of eating.

One could be a licker. This style of eater - most often seen with softer versions of ice cream - can branch off into the "swirly lickers" or "one-side-at-a-time lickers."

One could be a biter: the firmer ice creams encourage biting. Some people nibble slowly and gently to make their ice cream last, while other people take huge bites of frozen dessert directly from the top of the cone and the ice cream disappears quickly. This latter breed is often spotted by the pained look on their faces from brain freeze.

Some mix it up – a little biting, then licking. And many people finish off their treat by biting the pointy end of the cone off and sucking those last bits of the melted dessert out.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Dishes • Ice Cream

1. Robert Clarke

Licker – guilty as charged.

Can't beat it! :D

Rob

August 11, 2011 at 7:06 am | Reply
  2. Sam Young

Stopping off to get some Ice-cream on the way home now for sure...
    Heres hoping the kids don't notice!! :D

Sam
    Top Hat Chef

July 28, 2011 at 6:51 am | Reply
  3. Tom Larson

Right from the tub with a serving spoon ( y'know, those big-arse ones used to dish up veggies during family dinners!).
    Forget the cones and the 99s, give me a tub of Ben a Jerry's and leave me alone!!

Great post – made the whole office think I'm nuts due to my grin all the way through :D

Tom

July 26, 2011 at 7:54 am | Reply
  4. James Davis

You gotta love a bit of ice cream, whateve the weather!! eat ice cream whenever you want!! im craving a flake 99 right about now, been so long since i had one...

July 25, 2011 at 5:17 am | Reply
  5. Bonnie

Definitely making root beer floats tonight. Best ice cream is vanilla chocolate swirl from Jersey Freeze in Freehold, NJ. I live a hour away, but make sure to stop on my way home from the shore!

July 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  6. Keva Brown

This whole article – and the comments – are directing my path to get some ice cream and maybe some root beer on the way home today. Yum!

July 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  7. Diana

I stopped eating cones all the time with my icecream because they add more calories to an already caloric treat! But once in a while I do treat myself to a waffle cone.... Darn you Ben & Jerry's and you delicious waffle cones!!!

July 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  8. Homer

Nothing beats homemade ice cream. I have some raspberry swirl sitting in my freezer now. Maybe I'll just eat that for lunch...

July 22, 2011 at 10:13 am | Reply
  9. mkdsnfksjdfas

I push the ice cream to the bottom of the cone so I'm not left with empty cone at the end.

July 22, 2011 at 10:09 am | Reply
  10. Bailes

HOLE not whole. LITTLE not littlw wow, jeez coffee obviously hasn't kicked in yet!

July 22, 2011 at 9:49 am | Reply