Breakfast buffet: National junk food day
July 21st, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Snap, crackle, pop (hope that wasn't the button on your favorite pants): your junk food stash is calling - July 21 is National Junk Food Day.

They are the snacks you can't resist, the treats that can't be beat and brand names that are so familiar, it may as well be a friend of yours. When nothing else will do, that's junk food's cue.

Sickeningly sweet desserts, salty crunchy chips, fizzing carbonated sodas, crazy flavors of candy and all sorts of deep-fried goodness are just a few indulgences in the junk food category.

The classification came to be in 1972, when Michael Jacobson, director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, deemed certain foods with little (or no) nutritional value to be unhealthy when eaten on a regular basis... or ever.

But it's not junk food day every day (nationally, that is), so slurp on a neon-bright slushie and enjoy some of your favorite things. You can even get a little fancy with your fast food.

So tell us, how will you be celebrating today? What's your guilty junk food pleasure? And would you like fries with that?

« Previous entry
  1. Noxious Sunshine

What is it about diet cokes from Mickey D's? They taste soooooo good compared to other places! Maybe it's the amount of carbonation? Idk....

July 22, 2011 at 10:33 am | Reply
  2. Julien

Thank God! An excuse to eat something unhealthy at least once! Fantastic!

July 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  3. Puddle of Evil

I can do this.

July 21, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
  4. AleeD

Mmmm, another lick-the-screen day. Just want to wade into that salty, cheesy goodness ....

..... and chase it all down with a diet coke! LOL!

I'm going to go out after work and get me some Cheetos to celebrate! The fried kind, not the puffs. Yum!

July 21, 2011 at 9:41 am | Reply
    • I want da gold!

The whole "drinking a diet coke while eating a 2,000 calorie meal" can be funny but I like the taste of Diet Coke much more than regular Coke. I think it's just fine to get a diet drink with any meal (healthy or not) if you prefer the taste. Now, if you're doing it to save calories on the other hand...

July 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Reply
    • AleeD@I want da gold!

Capeche. It's all about the taste for me. Never liked the taste of sugared sodas.

July 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  5. Stacey S.

My Food calendar has today as Creme Brulee Day. Where do you get your food days?

July 21, 2011 at 9:32 am | Reply
  6. RichardHead

I'm gonna have to go with Frito Chili Pie and a large Cherry and Cola Icee. Ain't nothin' better!

July 21, 2011 at 9:13 am | Reply
    • I want da gold!

Yes there is. It's called a New Mexico Green Chile Frito Pie! Beats that Texas chili any day!

July 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Reply
      • RichardHead

Can I eat it in the Bathroom? While smoking?

July 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Reply
      • I want da gold!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I, for one, like the smell of my own farts. Well, most of the time. From time to time the toxicity makes even me gag.

Now, if someone else is in there gas blasting the place I don't advise eating there.

July 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Reply