Box lunch: Pig leg pilfering and jerky pricing
July 15th, 2011

Sink your teeth into today's top stories from around the globe.

• "Welcome to New York, where raw animal parts will get yanked from your car faster than you can say, 'Hey, that’s my pig leg!'" - Grapes & Grains

• Binging on fatty food: so easy, a caveman could do it. (And he did.) - Daily Mail

• No, Sarah Palin, the price of your Slim Jim has not gone up. - NPR

• Always tip 20 percent - and other rules of gratuity. - LA Weekly
Posted by:
Filed under: Box Lunch • News

1. Noxious Sunshine

NOW. What toats my goats is when I have a party of 15 (which, in my restaurant, you get a big party, then you're not going to get anymore tables for a good 30 min depending on how quickly the party finishes) & I run my arse off getting bread, drinks & refills, salads, etc & dont get a decent tip. My restaurant doesnt add gratuity. I had a party just the other night who had a total bill of $250 & the adults who were paying went on & on abt how wonderful the service was & what an excellent job I did taking care of them by myself.. My total tip was a mere $30. Maybe that sounds selfish, but I definitely think that my hard work deserved at least $40 or $50. Especially considering I had a group of elderly women last week (10) who left me $45 total -and- took our Guest Survey & complimented me both to my manager on duty & on the survey.

July 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Noxious Sunshine

I'm a server. I love my job – interacting with so many different people & doing my best to make their dining experience as enjoyable as I can is rewarding. I dont discriminate or try to push a table off on another waiter just because I dont think they'll tip decent. And yes, I do understand that if I make a mistake with your order, my tip will more than likely be less than it could have been. Hell, I dont even expect a full 15% if the -COOKS- flub up the order. 9x out of 10, when that happens, even though the customer says that they understand it's not my fault & a mgr comps the meal, the mistake is still reflected in the tip, because it's essentially my responsibility as a server to make sure everything comes out right.

July 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  3. Mom of 8

When my family goes out to eat, we often have gratuity automatically added to our bill. Sometimes, because we're talking about 8 kids here, I will tip on top of that automatic gratuity. I've seen waitresses bicker in the corner when we walk in over who gets stuck with our family. Those waitresses who take our table on and get everyones orders right, smile, and make sure we always have full glasses I automatically calculate an extra 10-20% on top of the bill (remember gratuity was already included). Unfortunately there have been more than a few waitresses that act like we're the worst thing she's seen all month, for them, I really wish gratuity was not automatically added to my bill.

While we don't dine in high class restaurants, we avoid the major chains. It's not uncommon to spend $200+ on a dinner. For that amount, kids or not, I want really good service – we're likely the highest paying table in the place that night.

July 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  4. Harry Pothead

That tipping article smacks of the entitlement mentality that we saw when Obummer was hawking healthcare. And for the record, if the soup winds up in my lap, you are going to have bigger worries than your tip.

July 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  5. AleeD@Evil Grin

Mandatory 20% across the board tipping? I agree with you EG. I'm not tipping the pizza delivery person 20% for driving his/her "decaying, gas-gulping SUV" to my door.

If JG wants to tip this way to make life easier for him, that's his choice. I choose otherwise.

July 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Evil Grin

Many of the comments implied that he was trying to impress by showing he was "in the biz." I got that impression as well. Almost that he was trying to hard to look good with the waiters. Kind of odd to be a waiter groupie, but not unheard of, I suppose. I've seen a lot of weird people who insist on making friends with the staff in various places to cash in on imagined perks.

In any case, he may be reimbursed for his meals and tips, but the rest of us aren't. And many of us make less than the waiters we are tipping. So as long as tips aren't being added into the bill pre-tax, we have the right to tip as we wish, even if it's not 20%.

July 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  6. Evil Grin

Wow. Jonathan Gold made me want to tip less just by reading his article. Not that I will necessarily, but he certainly made me want to.

His view is quite staunch. Mandatory 20% even, and I quote "when the soup goes tumbling into your lap." Even though I typically DO tip 20%, I do take exception with being told that it's mandatory in all cases, no exceptions. Sorry, man. Doesn't work like that.

I thought the pig story was funny. Although, I think if someone went to all the trouble to break into my car and steal an animal limb, he probably needs it more than I do.

July 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • I want da gold!

Agreed.

I tip 20% because it's easy. (Multiply the total by 2 and move the decimal a couple spots.) But, if the server sucked I will absolutely tip less, if at all! There is a place in town which the servers take the order and bring the check...that's all! The busboys bring drinks, refills, food, etc. I hand the tip directly to them, so they get it all and don't have to split it, and I leave the server whatever change rounds me to the nearest dollar. I tip for service, not just because you spent all of 20 seconds at my table taking my order and bringing the check.

That being said, I will tip more than 20% for good service. ESPECIALLY my boy Elvis over at China Star! I have no idea how that dude gets my glass filled seemingly in the second or two I look away. I've never had a glass more than half empty or a dirty plate on the table for more than a minute or so with that guy. Best server I have ever had in my life!

July 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,656 other followers