Bacon! Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon! Going on a Bac-spedition
July 15th, 2011

Some people say bacon has jumped the shark. We say mmmmm...shark bacon! Howard Winer is a Supervising Producer at CNN.

Thank goodness my parents never kept Kosher. Had they, I might not have discovered the joys of boiled Maine lobstuh, steamed Maryland crabs or the number one no-no - bacon. High five to you now, Mom and Dad, because these days– bacon isn’t just a side at breakfast. You can drink your bacon, have it on a burger in a whole new way or, even better, for dessert.

If you’re ready for a Bac-spedition, start with it shaken, not stirred, in a Bakontini. All it takes is some Bakon Vodka. Or, make any day a Sunday and go for a Bakon Mary, heavy on the Tabasco, please. If you’re in the mood for sweet, think about a creation from the Dionysus Restaurant & Lounge in Baltimore: the Waffle Shot. It’s one part Bakon Vodka, one part Pinnacle Whipped Vodka. [Editor's note: We in no way endorse this behavior. Because eeewwwww!]

I’m not here to drink, though, I want to chow down. Scallops wrapped in bacon seem so 1988 today. Skip ’em and use two hands on a burger prepared “The Best Way” from Atlanta’s Atkins Park Tavern. Exactly what is the “best way,” you ask? It’s a burger with bacon jam and tallegio cheese. The “jam” has a consistency somewhere between stone ground mustard and olive tapenade, and the cheese provides the perfect flavor balance. After eating a burger “The Best Way,” having a regular old bacon cheeseburger will be plain sacrilegious.

What’s a decent Bac-spedition without a little bacon for dessert? I’ve always been a fan of yin and yang flavors but I admit, ice cream and crushed potato chips sounds too gross for my buds. On the other hand, something called a Bacon Guava cookie worked plenty fine for them. From the Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop in Atlanta’s Poncey-Highlands neighborhood, these pigs in a bacon blanket are blessed with the right combination of cookie and crazy.

Let there be no doubt - it’s a cookie all right. Sweet and buttery, it falls somewhere on the shortbread spectrum but with a mild undertone of Porky the Pig. These little cuties stare back at you but don’t be scared, they won’t squeal as you bite into them.

I love the surprising places that bacon is popping up, although I won’t be sharing this love with my Kosher mother-in-law. She probably expects me to wind up in a hell where baked goods are cooked with shortening instead of butter. Feh! In the meantime, I just pray that that nobody comes up with a sausage-chocolate combo or I will be in serious trouble. [Editor's note: Sorry Howard -- you're doomed.]

Posted by:
Filed under: Bacon • Obsessions

1. Shira

Such a sad world we live in where people thik it's okay to torture smart animals such as a pig because they taste good. Poor animals. And pigs are smarter than dogs so if you wouldn't eat your dog, you have no right eating a pig. And if the reason is that it tastes tasty well I'm sure humans taste good too but u wouldn't eat your brother. All these jokes about pigs being too tasty to stop eating aren't funny at all. You gotta be a pretty disgusting soul to make a joke out of an animals pain. These pigs scream for dear life while being tied to the ground and slowly chopped to pieces in front of their families. GROSS pple eat other living souls! Period!

July 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Reply
    • Truth@Shira

Uhm, in case you may not have noticed, this is a food thread. Food as a subject will often contain references to meat. Most Americans consume meat. If you truly are interested in promoting the vegan lifestyle, I am sure PETA will have such threads on their website.

Class dismissed.

July 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Reply
    • Satan@Shira

To paraphrase a friend, is it shiny side in or shiny side out on your foil hat?

July 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  2. God

You are all disgusting and are going to die a lot sooner than you would if you stopped eating bacon and instead ate healthy alternatives like the above mentioned MorningStar Farms product. Your weakness sickens me.

July 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
    • Satan@God

Since we both know we're lying, I don't feel bad about using these screen names.

Two things:
      1. if the "real" God didn't want us to be happy, He wouldn't have made bacon taste so good.
      2. the only thing better than bacon, is bacon-wrapped bacon while dining with Kevin Bacon.

July 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Reply
      • Six Degrees@Satan

Jack Nicholson played the devil in "The Witches of Eastwick", and also starred in "A Few Good Men" with Kevin Bacon.

July 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • Guest

Dear 'god'
      eat sh*t and die,you pedophile loving piece of garbage

and kiss my *sss

September 6, 2011 at 6:22 am | Reply
  3. Suzanne

what is a Summer w/o a BLT? whole grainy bread, mayo, black pepper, slivers of red onion, sweet juicy ripe garden tomato with lots of crispy bacon...wrap your hands around that and enjoy it dripping down your face...hhmmm, made up my mind on what's cooking at my house tonight

July 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  4. Eli R

I actually traveled up to Skagway, AK and had a bacon and maple syrup cupcake from a specialty dessert shop. Absolutely delicious!

July 18, 2011 at 11:15 am | Reply
  5. Amy

There is chocolate-covered bacon, you know. Just head to Lancaster County, PA & you'll find some.

July 18, 2011 at 11:02 am | Reply
  6. will

Bacon is a food. it doesn't care if you give it a media circus or not.

July 18, 2011 at 7:38 am | Reply
    • Glorious Monday

Meaning?

July 18, 2011 at 7:47 am | Reply
  7. potth

lol drippings*

July 18, 2011 at 6:24 am | Reply
  8. kim

mmmm...bacon...all hail mighty bacon....love the stuff...fried...candied...oh yes, candied, with brown sugar and cooked in the oven...omg...my taste buds quiver with anticipation just thinking about it....I also use bacon for dinner! I make about 2 pounds of bacon, (drain and save the drippings for later cookings)...add green beans and potatoes...a bit of chicken or beef broth and cook...yummo! even better the next day after the potatoes soak up the flavors! Bacon is a truly wonderful food...so versatile, and delicious.

July 18, 2011 at 6:17 am | Reply
    • potth

I always use the driooings to make swiss steak......sublime

July 18, 2011 at 6:23 am | Reply
  9. S

Dad was Jewish. Didn't eat pork, and he passed on a dislike to me. He did, however, eat bacon, claiming it came from the magical bacon beast. :)

July 18, 2011 at 3:05 am | Reply
  10. potth

Being french canadian, pork has always been part of our diet. It was the one animal that could withstand our harsh winters.. I did not like bacon when i was young, my mother would not cook it properly, but now i would kill for a toasted bacon sammi with mayo and mustard , please excuse my drooling................Plus nothing like a good roast pork with drippings. Still drooling.

July 18, 2011 at 12:38 am | Reply
  11. baconista

the waffle shot recipe is wrong. it should read Pinnacle whipped vodka not pineapple. it's a brand.

July 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Reply
  12. Jon

"Lisa, are you saying you'll never eat meat again?!?"
    "Yes, dad."
    "What about pork chops?"
    "nope."
    "Ham?"
    "Nope."
    "BACON?!?"
    "Dad, those all come from the same animal....."
    "Oh, right, Lisa, a wonderful, MAGICAL animal..!"

July 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  13. bubbahu?

so is howard a weiner? or is that weiner someone else in the news lately ?
    either way , howard should consider another career , as writing articles with any substance seems to be beyond him .......

July 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  14. bubbahu?

stupid article about eating crap that will kill you .

July 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Reply
    • Jon

Enjoy your tofu and soy milk. ...and your sheltered life.

July 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Reply
    • Wayne

Kill you? Since when? Since I have increased my daily consumption of bacon my HDL has increased my LDL has decreased and my Triglycerides read 66.
      It puzzles my doctor.

July 18, 2011 at 6:14 am | Reply
    • mel

I agree.

July 18, 2011 at 7:01 am | Reply
  15. JB

Bravo Gelato in Nashville makes a maple bacon gelato. I thought it would be nasty but it is friggin' amazing.

July 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  16. Thia

I personally think bacon is disgusting, but I absolutely love this current trend in food creativity. I'm absolutely fascinated. I work with people who regularly eat bacon chocolate and bacon and sour cream potato chips. I hope this level of creativity keeps up! Bacon vodka? Smoked salmon vodka? What is next???

July 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  17. Erlinda

Bacon is its own food group – at the top of the pyramid, or the foundation, or whatever is supposed to guide us these days. This is a true story: Four times, I have purchased bacon-filled/accented chocolates to mail to my 98 year-old aunt in Louisville, KY. Four times, the bacon-filled/accented chocolates never made it to the Post Office. I adore my aunt, and will have to hire a body guard when I make the next purchase for her 99th birthday next week! I want to make sure she gets some! (But I want some, too!!!)

July 17, 2011 at 10:09 am | Reply
  18. Wrighteous

Bacon wrapped hot dogs on the grill...to die for...literally. Put it in a bun with some mayo, onions and peppers ...OMG! It is crazy good!

July 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  19. Eden

My parents DID keep kosher! And when I got my first taste of bacon at college–it was a little slice of heaven! Thanks for keeping us up to date with the latest in bacon, bacon, bacon...

July 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  20. Evil Grin

Bring on the bacon. Any iteration of it.

I like this: http://bacolicio.us/

Copy that and paste it in front of any URL, and you add bacon to the screen. For instance, this thread:

I especially like adding that in front of PETA.com. :D

July 15, 2011 at 11:25 am | Reply
  21. missingbacon

Much as I love it, I don't eat bacon for health reasons - too much salt and fat for someone with cardiovascular issues. Can't someone please make a tasty and heart-healthy bacon? Please?!?

July 15, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • Dr.Bacon

Have you tried Kevin Bacon?

July 15, 2011 at 11:04 am | Reply
      • missingbacon

Wouldn't touch the stuff - not after "Hollow Man", which was rather tasteless and heart attack-inducing.

July 15, 2011 at 11:15 am | Reply
      • kyra sedgwick@Dr. Bacon

I have and he tastes ....... oh! Riiiiight. This is a food blog.

July 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • Thia

I have a family member who LOVES bacon and has found some healthy bacon (which he says tastes amazing) at an organic grocery store. Keep looking – it's out there!

July 17, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Reply
    • MorningStar

Morning Star has some health consience, vegan bacon that really taste good, and is good for your health.

July 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  22. Mare

Bacon = Nature's Meat Candy

July 15, 2011 at 11:00 am | Reply
  23. I want da gold!

Bacon is second only to chicken. You can eat chicken pre and post birth and in countless ways. mmmmm...bacon wrapped chicken with a fried egg on top. I just messed myself thinking about it...

July 15, 2011 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • BaconWhore

Wanna watch me strip?

July 15, 2011 at 9:30 am | Reply
  24. Porky Pig

Uh-Ohhh, I wish I was invisible!

July 15, 2011 at 7:46 am | Reply
  25. Makin' Bacon

Mmmmmm bacon. Nature's perfect food.

July 15, 2011 at 7:36 am | Reply
    • Durka Durka

If only Muslims and Jews could taste the deliciousness of pig meat. Give up on the magic man in the sky and accept the perfection that is pork.

July 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Reply
      • Tonya

Yes, it is such a pity that not everyone thinks only of the instant gratification in the form of fatty pork products.....*eye roll*

July 18, 2011 at 8:58 am | Reply