Breakfast buffet: National French fries day
July 13th, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Born to be fast (food, that is) - July 13 is National French Fries Day.

No matter how you slice them - crinkle or shoestring, thick-cut or curly - plunking thin strips of potatoes in oil is the kind of salty fried goodness that can't be beat.

Now we all know that "French" fries don't really have ties to France at all, but where did these snacktastic sticks come from? Many countries have a history of frying potato slices in oil and fat, but it was our own Thomas Jefferson who first referred to eating "potatoes served in a French manner" at a White House dinner in 1802.

Indulge in your favorite burger joint's fries today, whether they be thin and crispy or fat and chewy, with a little ketchup on the side.  Or take it a step further by covering them in chili or cheese sauce or ordering a plate of poutine.

Just don't forget this wise mantra: "Shake and shake the ketchup bottle, none'll come and then a lot'll."

1. jaci

I like the baked steak fries my mom would make–just cut the potato in half, then in 3 slices each side, brush in olive oil and bake until soft YUM! And dip? Salsa! Fresh made is best!

July 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  2. Susan

I like to dip mine in mayonnaise; learned about that in a French restaurant. Up until then, I liked 'em in ketchup. I don't think I could ever enjoy them dipped into a milkshake, though. And definitely malt vinegar for fish and chips.

July 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  3. Floyd

Best way is New Mexico style: French Fries covered with green chile and optionally, melted cheese. That's how they're done at Albuquerque's 66 Diner and the Frontier, among others.

July 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  4. Tiffany

Chili-Cheese Fries Are AOK with me!!

July 13, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Reply
  5. josie

THRASHERS FRENCH FRIES are the ONLY wat to go...........@ the board walk in ocean city!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  6. Rebecca

Okay, so the fries dipped in milkshake sounded disgusting to me too, but let me specify. It has to be ONLY a Wendy's chocolate frosty-a thick shake...nothing weird and milky, and their OLD fries, not that new skinny crap. I'm not big on dipping in ketchup, mustard is delicious on french fries, or a mustard mayo combination. Cheese is fine too, but again, it's only at Portillo's. A good french fry, like that of McDonald's, or at Checker's/Rally's can stand on it's own adn requires no dipping sauce at all.

July 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  7. mejazzbo

Now let me get this straight. One article talks about taking the kids out of a loving home if they become fat. This article is about a national french fry day. So the idea here is get the kids fattened up through national commercial propaganda, so the government can take them away from their parents. Slim the kids down on some kind of soilentgreen product made from the bodies of our starving and homeless elderly thanks to the Tpotty. Then turn them into uneducated droid super soldiers to supply never ending fodder for the 4th, 5th and at least 6th war America is bound to start or be get itself involved in with the continuing delusional "policemen of the world" and "nation building" policies. Have I got that right.

July 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Reply
    • Truth@mejazz

It is all part of the grand liberal/neocon/freemason conspiracy to take over the world.

Now when you make your tinfoil hats, do you like the shiny part inside or out?

July 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Reply
      • mejazzbo

Balls... shiny side out, please. Isn't this fun!!!

July 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  8. mj92

Sweet Potato fries are amazing! A staple in my diet for sure.. and no.. I'm not obese haha

July 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Reply
    • I want da gold!

Agreed. Sweet potato fries are where the action is!

July 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  9. FatRabbit

Ketchup and mayo is technically known as "Fancy Sauce" That is all.

July 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Reply
  10. cpc65

Aren't we still calling them "Freedom Fries"?

July 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  11. Cool maa

French fries give me gas.

July 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  12. Bango

why don't we have a National Obese Person Day where we celebrate people who make poor decisions about to to shove into their pie holes?

July 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Reply
    • Bingo@Bango

We DO celebrate trolls HERE every day! Congratulations! You just got the #1 slot!

July 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  13. Tyler

Best thing ever to dip fries in: buffalo sauce. If you like buffalo sauce at all then give it a try. You won't regret it.

July 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Reply
    • Andrea

Straight Franks or wing sauce?

July 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Reply
      • pig skin

Real buffalo sauce is the only way to go. Which is franks + melted butter, not just franks (cayenne pepper sauce, not buffalo) or bottled wing sauce (soybean oil instead of butter... yuck). Buffalo sauce and fries are amazing, theres nothing like it.

Try a side of ranch with the buffalo fries too.

July 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  14. Jan Van Antwerpen

Everyone knows that the "French" fries are actually from Belgium. Only in Belgium you find so many dishes on the menu with "Belgische Frieten" and nowhere else along the streets in all the towns you find the small shacks ( Frietkot) where you can buy fries with mayonnaise and other things.

July 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  15. Hockster

Smiley Fries with Sour Cream (or Greek Yogurt w/ chopped jalepano.

July 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  16. ATL Native

The best conventional fries in the world are at The Varsity. As far as fancy fries, give me Poutine! Yum!

July 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  17. cf

Or, to translate for our Tea Party friends, "freedom fries."

July 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  18. Addicted to....

Thrashers! Swimming in vinegar. I burn my fingers every time bc I can't wait for them to cool down!

July 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  19. rej4sl

I love Chips( Brit for thick cut french fries), Cheese, and Gravy (poutine) tis yummy

July 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  20. Raised on corn

If we need to have a day to celebrate food, it shouldn't be a food that has helped make our nation an obese one.

July 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Reply
    • Fried American@Roc

Someday when you grow up and get your own blog, you can pick what the National Food Day will be. Until then, have a seat in the stfu cafe and someone will be right with you.

July 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Reply
      • JamieinMN

Oh SSSSSSSSNPAZ! He/she told you!

July 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
      • Punt

Fried American sounds like The Drag Queen of Everything.

July 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Reply
      • Tommy Chong@Fried American

Bro! Where ya been, Dude!?

July 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Reply
      • Queen of Everything@Punk

Negative, Ghostwriter. Nothing on me gets tucked but I can understand that may be a lifestyle with which you are familiar. Since you seem to be devoted fan of mine, let me please point out that I have never told someone to sit in the "stfu cafe". That's the hallmark of another commenter on this site. I'll leave you with this last little thought: Shut your piehole, Francis.

July 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Reply
      • Matt@Punt

Blahaha! You have been totally punked, bi tch!

July 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Reply
    • Uncle Sam

I need you to go on a diet America, you are too fat and the Chinese are eating your lunch, you lazy basturds.

July 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  21. Kyle

The absolute best is taking In N Out Sauce and pouring it on your In N Out fries which are normally not that great.......but it transforms them into the greatest thing ever! But In N Out is only on the West Coast.

July 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  22. Genevieve

Since ranch dressing is the state bird if Texas (or someting like that) thats what this part of the country dips their fries in...but i like to mix a little bit of ketchup with my ranch and it adds a sweet and tangy flavor to those salty fries...it's slap yo mama good!

July 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  23. Bee

I love dipping my frenchfries in Whataburger Honey Mustard! I look forward to that every time I eat there.

July 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  24. JamieinMN

Crinkle-cut fries with Mayo-Ketchup combo. Yum!

July 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  25. avant/chicago

dip them in bbq sauce. Great! :)

July 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  26. Andree

Ilike to sprinkle vinegar on my fries

July 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  27. mmmkay

I'm not really a fan of french fries, but that picture makes me want to lick the screen...

July 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  28. Ashley Marlene

I haven't had fries in a while, my personal favorites have to be the cheese fries they sell at Great Wraps, but without the bacon. I've dipped my fair share of fries into Frosties, but that's as far as I'll go, and it's just maybe once every 3 years or so. I can't tolerate it at such a constant interval. Another one of my favorite combinations would probably be Waffle Fries with Honey. Yum, I think I might go to Chick-fil-a later on today.

-and mayonaise is just... disgusting in my personal opinion. I can't imagine mayonaise on fries... just... ewh.

July 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • JamieinMN

Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, it is SO GOOD! Don't knock it til you try it.

July 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  29. grammadee94

WHOO HOO. Now I have an excuse for eating french fries today!

July 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • Humor

I was thinking the same thing, I haven't had fries in a couple of months.

July 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • Matt

Hahaha! Thinking the same thing here as well.

July 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  30. Humor

Waffle fries with ranch dressing.. or steak fries with fry sauce.

July 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  31. Nate

Gotta Dip my fries in hot sauce.

July 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  32. Byron

French fries don't have ties to France at all? When I stayed there they ate tons of fries in local restaurants. Sheesh!

July 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  33. Sam

In Utah a lot of people use fry sauce or pink sauce which is ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together. You see it a lot in LatinAmerica too as salsa rosada. Pretty good.

July 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  34. Marie

If I'm having fish and chips, I like to dip my fries in the tartar sauce. Yummmmmm. Fry sauce is also good, as is white gravy.

July 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  35. ppehsy

I personally like fries cut from real potatoes with skin on. then i like to dip them in babeque sauce. Ketchup is so bland and tasteless!

July 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  36. Pete

And American fatties just keep getting fatter...

July 13, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Reply
    • Fat American

Why? Because I read a post on Eatocracy?
      Where are you from so I can make fun of the stereotypes of your nation?

July 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Reply