Big, bad breakfast sandwiches from really awesome chefs
July 12th, 2011

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to get our grub on, we listen up.

You’ve heard it before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many chefs around the country have heeded the call and are now serving morning meals. Still, that doesn’t mean all their dishes get a nutritional thumbs up.

Take breakfast sandwiches, the Homer Simpson of A.M. food service. Some chefs have created awesome versions that aren’t all available at their restaurants. And many nutritionists will say, thank goodness for that.

John Currence, Big Bad Breakfast, Oxford, Mississippi
“At my restaurant, I’ve brought a lot of people back from the dead after a long night out with the Pylon: A split, griddle-fried hot dog with chili, slaw, cheddar, mustard, chopped pickles, onion, jalapeño peppers and oyster crackers, all on a sweet waffle.”

Tim Love, Lonesome Dove, Ft Worth Texas
“My breakfast sandwich: I load a griddled hamburger patty up with jack cheese, chili, lamb bacon, sunny hen egg and fresh tomatillo salsa. Then fold a fresh flour tortilla around as much of it as I can. And serve it with a tequila sunrise, of course.”

Ryan LaRoche, NoMI Kitchen at Park Hyatt, Chicago
“I like to take the grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the room service menu and deep fry it. It’s like a jelly donut. To take it really over the top, I eat it with my grandfather’s brown butter scrambled eggs. But I draw the line at putting the eggs on the fried pb&j.”

Shaun Hergatt, SHO Shaun Hergatt Restaurant, NYC
“I make a breakfast sandwich with Vegemite, avocado, sharp Cheddar Cheese, bacon and eggs, all on rye Vita crisp bread. So it’s kind of healthy. I fly in caseloads of Vegemite from Australia. The only thing I don’t put on the sandwich is gold leaf, even though I do poached eggs with gold leaf at the restaurant. And sea urchin—another thing I don’t put on that sandwich.”

And now it’s time to hand out the award for the most outrageous breakfast sandwich. We’re thrilled to give it to Stephanie Izard (Girl & The Goat, Chicago) and Ming Tsai (Blue Ginger, Wellesley, MA) who created a pretty remarkable dish at the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen a few years ago.

Faced with the challenge of using up leftovers, they took cold pizza, cooked lobster and crisp bacon and - piled them on top of each other (no, the pizza didn’t get heated up). It was served with a fried egg on top.

“Genius,” recalls Dana Cowin, F&W Editor in Chief, who judged the dish. “It includes almost every food group you’d want to have in the morning. Especially if you’re a college student.”

More from Food & Wine

15 Great Breakfast Recipes

20 Brunch Recipes

20 Bacon Recipes

15 Egg Recipes

Tim Love Recipes

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Breakfast • Breakfast Sandwiches • Celebrity Chefs • Content Partner • Food and Wine • John Currence • Ming Tsai • Sandwiches • Stephanie Izard • Tim Love

1. chekmarkeats

For a tasty breakfast sandwich on a biscuit, go to Peels in NYC on Bowery. They have a Build-A-Biscuit option and you can choose ingredients from types of cheese to fried chicken. Here is a photo from my blog http://chekmarkeats.com/2011/07/06/peels-bowery/. Also, try the croissant egg sandwich at Penelope with Pesto here: http://chekmarkeats.com/2011/08/17/penelope-murray-hill/

August 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Reply
  2. maty

I hate breakfast. It means I got out of bed.

July 13, 2011 at 1:16 am | Reply
  3. PDXfoodsmith

and not one mention of exercise. you can't blame this countries weight problems on the occasional monster sandwich. and the article didn't recommend having one every morning. have one and then run around the block a few times.

July 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  4. Denim

I'm gaining wait just /reading/ this!

July 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  5. happytam

One of the best breakfast sandwiches I ever had was several years ago while on vacation in Mexico (when it was still safe to go there....). A little cafe served a BLT on the most delicous bread but they also added a fried egg and a slice of cheese. Really simple and really delicious. Thinking back, I don't know how I never came up with such a delectable combination myself. I will sometimes make one at home but it isn't as good as the one from that little Mexican cafe.

July 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  6. kgriggs0207

For this story it's mainly just BEWT amusing himself (or herself). I suppose if he/she gets a few giggles about saying "pooh" then maybe slow claps are in order; that's hard to do past the age of six!

July 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  7. Doug

What about the Micheal Moore-on Obama Breakfast sandwitch, it is filled with government cheese and pork. Also, the guy behind you in line gets the bill for your food.

July 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  8. JOHANO

Now I am absolutely famished. I'll take one of each. Oh and before you sunshine hating, nothing better to do a-holios has something even more ridiculous then your social lives to say... forget it. Save your breathe. That all sounds delicious and you can lie to the rest of us, but you know that fat girl/boy in you is drooling! ;-)

July 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  9. rchnpdx

Who ever has leftover lobster and bacon. I tend to eat it all.

July 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  10. Thenextstep

Okay, so where are all those idiots that complain about McDonalds and all the fast food places...... Huh ??

July 12, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  11. Lila

If you pull out the greasy meat it won't kill you to eat them more often and you'll stay slim. My weekend treat is a toasted jalapeno bagel 2 slices of cheese and egg.

July 12, 2011 at 11:53 am | Reply
  12. Eating is overrated...

Is there anything besides Cannabis that makes one hungry. For some reason food just grosses me out lately and literally cannot eat more than a light meal a day. My mom is making me eat those meal shakes but even then she has been finding half cans in my room. I am not worried about getting fat either...I just cannot stand eating, I truly was the kid that played with food at the table. My anthropology teacher said it's false that breakfast is even important. He also told us that our bodies are NOT designed to eat every day and that it is a myth. I love him...

July 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Reply
  13. hannah1

Honestly I'm retching just reading that. What garbage! Most normal people wouldn't want those concoctions at any part of the day, much less just waking up! No wonder we are starting to look like a nation of whales and hippos!

July 12, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • Queen of Everything@hannah1

Can I have another animal choice? I'd prefer to be a peacock. They have pretty feathers.

July 12, 2011 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • Sgt Hulka@hanna1

"Most normal people ..." Wow. Do you know THAT many people? You certainly get around! How 'bout stopping over at my barracks after work and see me, too, honey.

July 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  14. James

Taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll.................check mate

July 12, 2011 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle@James

You have to be from the Philly area.

July 12, 2011 at 11:56 am | Reply
      • James

@Biddle Jersey, on the good side(NYC)

July 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  15. notmysisterskeeper

So here's my problem: I have to pay for the people who are obese and who smoke and who get so unhealthy due to lifestyle choices they can't work. SSDI. It was meant for disabilities, not obesity. Now with national health care, it's really going to affect my earnings. If you want to eat this every day, fine, but I do NOT want to pay for your medical bills because you can't control yourself. If I didn't have to pay for it, I wouldn't care, but since I do, I absolutely have a right to b*tch about what other people eat (and smoke and drink and inject).

July 12, 2011 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • Truth@notsisterskeeper

Fear not, I am sure that any day now, Obama will be appointing a "dietary nutrition czar" of something to tell us all how to eat, what to eat and in what portions.

July 12, 2011 at 11:39 am | Reply
      • notmysisterskeeper

If *I* have to pay for *your* medical bills, *I* should get a chance to say what *your* treatment is. Including diet if that's why you're under medical care that I am paying for.

(I don't mean your = truth.)

July 12, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Reply
      • Sgt Hulka@notmysisterskeeper

Dream on.

July 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  16. The Real Bristol Palin

I like a bowl of lard for breakfast. Especially after humping all night long without using birth control.

July 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
  17. ***Moderation Annoncement***

Hey everyone look at me and listen. Do everything in life with moderation, including moderation. Now if you need me to expand on that for you, it means make smart choices, but its OK to sometimes spoil yourself. Think about a time when you knew you did something that wasn't good for you but felt so good (don't go down that road perv, stay with me). I think most people know they need to make smart choices about food but if you don't hey that's your deal. Overall enjoy life, don't preach to others or judge their decisions. Get the hell out there and enjoy life and try things. Don't get addicted, but don't bullshit yourself either and become some boring nob in life.

July 12, 2011 at 11:18 am | Reply
    • Mildred

++++ Agreed (and love the Oscar Wilde reference, however intentional)

July 12, 2011 at 11:28 am | Reply
  18. Eric

If it don't have Vegemite, I ain't eating it.

July 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Reply
  19. MrBeiste

Everyone of these sounds revolting. I am not a Health-nut by a long shot but everyone of these is not healthy. Breakfast should give you energy. Each of these do the opposite. I am surprised none of them are served with a side of deep fried butter.

July 12, 2011 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • JamieinMN

Maybe I don't want energy on a Sunday morning after a night of heavy drinking.....

July 12, 2011 at 11:10 am | Reply
      • Sir Biddle@Jamie

First round is on me!

July 12, 2011 at 11:35 am | Reply
  20. Libtarded Vegan Treehugging Bunny Humper@TJI

Good to know, thanks.

July 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Reply
  21. Becca

I do think that is these places want to make the good food then so be it. And if I or anyone else want to join me in eating it well so what too. It is my business what I eat no one elses. It is like the bars they are there if you want to drink then you can if not stay away. Same thing with food..eat it if you like and if not stay away that wil leave more for someone else to eat. And who care if someone if fat if that is the way they want to be. People keep butting into business any more that is not theirs to butt into. Sweep your own door step and leave others a lone

July 12, 2011 at 11:05 am | Reply
  22. This Just In

Newsflash, we are all going to die, sooner, or later, I can promise you that. That said, you libtarded, vegan, treehugging, bunny humpers need to get a grip on reality.

July 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Reply
    • Cheech

Ok dude, we will, as soon as you get your head out of Bill O's kiester....

July 12, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
  23. solowd

if you want to know why you're fat, it's because you eat these huge sandwiches first thing in the morning

makes me sick just thinking about it

July 12, 2011 at 10:56 am | Reply
  24. Doug

Confusus is good here, but the idiot narcissist elitist better than thou I hate Americans demoncrats are the best, they play their stereotype and cliché even better than a snookie plays the demo guidette ones.

It makes them feel so enlightened and superior to trash Americans and talk about how any place else is better than America. They really do know how obvious they are with their self confidence, and hate issues. Think about what you are supporting when you support a party that is ran by and caters to such horrible scumbags. If you still don’t get it then spend some time in ultra blue America, just take out a life insurance policy first if you are going to be driving amongst ‘dem.

BTW, the people in Texas are the best people on the planet, so kind, honest, decent, and fair. IT would be a perfect world if all could at least attempt to have those values.

July 12, 2011 at 10:51 am | Reply
    • solowd

texas executes mentally disabled criminals who don't even understand what they did

moral paragon for sure

July 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Reply
      • Doug

While liberalism is a mental disease, it really isn't a valid excuse to get off on murder.

July 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  25. JamieinMN

Seriously, stop blaming fast food, CNN, and everything else BUT the culprit. The only thing you blame the obesity epidemic on is the AMERICAN PEOPLE. It is THEM who choose to live the way they do. People need to start taking responsibility for THEIR poor choices!

July 12, 2011 at 10:50 am | Reply
    • Sgt. Hulka@JamieinMN

Well said, Francis. KUTGW.

July 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Sir Biddle@Jamie

I love you!!! (I hope you are female or this could be a bit embarassing)

July 12, 2011 at 11:00 am | Reply
      • JamieinMN

*blushes* no Pen15 here!

July 12, 2011 at 11:08 am | Reply
  26. Uninformed Liberal Stooge

This is why I want a big government to tell me what to eat. I NEED a big government to tell me what to do. I am incapable of making my own choices. I NEED Michelle Obama to put me on a government sanctioned dietary plan.

July 12, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
    • Overbearing GOP Bible-Thumper

Quitcher job, go on welfare and you'll get all the heart-stopping gubmint cheese you can stand. Bet M.O. sanctioned that, too.

July 12, 2011 at 10:49 am | Reply
  27. billibie

And you wonder why all you American are FAT. Brutal. Have another fast food item, make it a biggy.

July 12, 2011 at 10:39 am | Reply
    • Confused Confusus

Man who drive like hell, bound to get there.

July 12, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply