July 6th, 2011

Next entry »
  1. Waywardmom

This whole article (including the comments) is ridiculous. I didn't know New Yorkers even had the manners to think about this issue.

October 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  2. jig101

The Japanese definitely log more hours on trains and subways, more hours commuting and working than americans. You do not eat or drink on the trains...unless it is very hot and then you can have a bottle of water or the like. It is impractical, unhygenic, and seen as just plain rude. As a rule, they are not loud while conversing and do not talk on their cells either. The importance being a respect for one another's comfort and privacy. The trains are clean and quiet. People are, for the most part, well behaved and aware of their responsibility to each other and the public good.

July 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Reply
  3. Josh

There is no way to get into the NYC Subway, without your hands being dirty, disgusting, and covered with every germ imaginable. No way I would touch something like a donut, and then put it into my mouth!

July 15, 2011 at 7:40 am | Reply
  4. EU vs. US

PEOPLE.. relax... it's just someone eating food.. if it's not touching you or spilling on your or spraying you.. WHY THE F... do you care ? It's gross maybe ? Well it's simple... DON'T FU.. LOOK!

The nerves some of you dbags have to say it's inappropriate.. it's eating you mo fu..!! It's inappropriate to fart out loud, to clip nails but someone eating a sandwich ? really ?

fu.. all of you geeks who think eating on a subway is inappropriate .. get a life!!!

July 13, 2011 at 10:43 am | Reply
  5. Sarah

NASSSTY! It's unsanitary to begin with- So if you eat on the subway, you're transferring germs back and forth between your fingers (which you'd lick) & mouth and surfaces. Surfaces that hundreds of thousands, if not millions (depending on the city/state/country) of other people have touched. That's just nasty. Don't do it. Flu season is more than enough. Your immune system will thank you.

July 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Reply
    • Dr. Pig Pen@Sarah

You have GOT to be kidding. You aren't doing your immune system any favors by staying away from bacteria (unless you have a specific medical situation) and living in an uber clean environment. Read up on it. You'll be stunned.

July 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  6. Ann

I'm amazed that people seem to be equating eating with leaving trash. They are completely different. Honestly, if I'm sitting across the train from you, and I take out a sandwich, eat it, and put the wrapper back in my bag, how exactly am I harming you in any way?

A few givens:

1 – I WILL take away my trash. I will also pick up any food I may drop.

2 – I will not bring something inordinately stinky that might make you sick to smell it.

3 – I will chew with my mouth closed, and not talk with it full.

4 – If I need to burp, I will do so as discreetly as possible.

So, what's the problem?

July 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
    • MalaDee@Ann

The problem is the people who aren't as considerate as you are. The ones who feel that being asked to be considerate & polite to others somehow steps on their freedoms.

July 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • jim

What happens if you need to fart? OMG then we have the smell to deal with.. Of course it can't be bas bad as the people who don't bath. You can't win if you ride the subway as far as smells go.

July 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  7. Joe

Don't forget the RATS that crawl along the tracks and platforms. They're coming for the food people bring onto the train. Yuck!

July 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  8. Mr. Clean

I especially appreciate watching the fingernail biters. They take their hand off the bar, pop a fingertip in their mouth and nibble away, work it down to the quick, then switch hands and start again. Ugh.

July 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  9. Michelle

I personally voted no because I don't think I would be able to get past the germ/smell factor and actually enjoy what I'm eating. I don't think it would bother me to see someone else do it as long as they cleaned up after themselves and weren't getting sauce or crumbs all over someone else.

July 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  10. Tomato Queen

Eating is not permitted on the Metro here in DC, and while the system is outdated, slow, and more and more unreliable, still it's clean. The night cleaners do a terrific job on these old cars, and the stations are neat and swept. As much as I'd like to think we're hospitable to all who visit us, I still think the convenience and courtesy of a clean mass transit system for everyone to use is something a)sometimes we take for granted when we should not and b)something we'd miss if it were changed.

July 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  11. Lushrimfire

With the possibility of contamination of your food I wouldn't recommend eating on the subway, buses or any other crowded place, I imagine getting away from that enviorment as quick as possible is good policy and a surgical mask though not fashionable is a good idea.

July 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  12. Amber

REALLY? This is an issue? If someone isn't littering or spilling pizza cheese on your lap then who the hell cares? And if this is an actual issue to get angry over in your life then you need to find more serious issues to be concerned about.

Body odor is FAR more offensive and encountered FAR more frequently than someone eating a sandwich on the subway.

July 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • S.W.

No kidding Amber...I mean, the things that people make into issues!! It's not that serious! Don't get me wrong, I look at the trash on the train floor sometimes and just have to shake my head in amazement at grown adults doing these sorts of things... but what can you do? People are always going to break the rules. There are always going to be people that don't care about their surroundings...why get your blood pressure up over that? lol

I personally wouldn't even want to eat on the train for a couple of reasons:
      1. Everywhere you look people are satring at you
      2. Who can eat being couped up in one space with people sneezing and coughing, breathng(lol), all that body odor,etc.?

July 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  13. madoshi

Holy crap...people actually complain about this? I say if someone can still eat while sitting in a tin can that smells like farts and urine...more power to them. Don't like watching them....__stop staring__

July 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  14. Truth

Eating on the subway was never something that ever ocurred to me. I would vote against.

July 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  15. jujubeans

only your girlfriend

July 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  16. Lydia

Seeing slobs eat on the subway makes me miss the days of Bernard Goetz.

July 7, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Subway Rider

Wow ! There ya go...just shoot everyone ! That'll do it ! Yeah. Bernard Goetz meets Columbine, eh ? Try a pinch of understanding or just plain deep breathing.

July 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Reply
    • J.B.B.

Good one Lydia!!

July 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  17. I HATE VEGANS

Considering all the fecal matter tobe found on the subway, I think people who eat on the train are walking talking sacks of unhygenic filth themselves.

Secondly, everyone whines and complains about rising subway costs, yet no one ever blames themselves for the litte rna d clean up that results in riased fares/

There is a time and a place to eat and the subway is not it. It is time to ban food on the trains. If people can;t handle the freedom responsibly and with class, then take the priviledges away.

Can we ban women who do their make up on the subway as well while we're at it? Groom at home you Sqanks!

July 7, 2011 at 11:11 am | Reply
    • mjinmd

You know, the old trite line about banning women who are applying their makeup, gets real old after awhile. If that's the worst thing you can come down on a woman for doing, consider yourself lucky. I get tired of women being singled out over applying makeup. I have NEVER seen that happen on the subway or in a car being driven down the road.

July 7, 2011 at 11:58 am | Reply
      • madoshi

@mjinmd: I'm assuming that I HATE VEGANS is actually a really large overweight woman...as evidenced by the mis-spelled "sqanks". She obviously hates skinny people, and thinks girls who wear makeup are slutty.

The math was really easy on that one....

July 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Reply
      • J.B.B.

Just because important little you has not seen it done does not mean that it is not happening! I don't care what the action of a person is in an inappropriate place: if it endangers a life or lives, it should NOT be done. Hmmmm ... wonder if little ol' important you texts and/or cells at the same time that you are driving?

July 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Reply
    • VinoBianco

Women doing makeup on the subway doesn't attract rats and filth like eating does. Food on the subway should be illegal and heavily fined if violated. A woman not caring that she has eyeliner running rampant across her face is her own business.

July 7, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  18. Jon's Musings

For the most part it's nothing I'd ever do. Then again it depends upon how crowded the subway is, a candy bar or granola bar is OK, but anything more is a big NO!

July 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Reply
    • Hark the Herald Angels

Those wrappers and bars add up when you have millions of people doing it, leaving their trash behind. We have vermin problems enough in these subways. Do we really need to contribute it to it more with even something as alledgely harmless as a granola bar? Are people really so self important they can't eat at home or at work, or worse yet, clean up after themselves? Yes, I know, everyone is so busy....busy wasting time and incurring more costs to our tax dollars by being lazy pigs who cant get up 5 minutes earlier to eat, or groom themselves...ever sit next to a pig clipping their nails? It happens...frequently.

July 7, 2011 at 11:20 am | Reply
      • madoshi

I get the "you people are self-important" w/ the nail clipping and littering. The nail clipping is gross, and whenever I see someone litter I give the horn a honk and then flip the bird (or otherwise make it obvious that they were noticed).

However...eating is more "survival" than "self importance". Would you really be upset if I sat down, ate a sandwich, and then threw the garbage away?

Do you really think I'd care?

July 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Reply