Breakfast buffet: National fried chicken day
July 6th, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! - July 6 is National Fried Chicken Day!

Roll up your sleeves, plunk your elbows on the table and sit down to some crispy fried slap-somebody-it's-so-good chicken. Whether you're a wings lady, a legs man or you're not picky at all, enjoy this deep-fried traditional Southern favorite today - hot or cold.

Southern belles ourselves, my mom and I will be the first to tell you that the secret to perfectly fried chicken is as follows: soak the chicken in buttermilk, season your flour (spices are up to you) and be sure to dip the chick in egg BEFORE your dredge it through the seasoned flour. Give it a whirl in the oil until golden brown and BAM! You've got some darn good chicken.

Now of course there are plenty of tasty variations, so indulge in chicken nuggets, buffalo wings, country fried chicken smothered in gravy or a chicken biscuit. With fried chicken, you really can't go wrong - especially when waffles are involved.

1. Conrad Shull

3/4 inch oil in large heavy skillet heated to 350. Pat dry chicken pieces, salt and pepper, dredge in flour and shake off excess. Lay in oil (do not crowd), cook approx five minutes till golden, flip and do same on other side. When 2nd side is golden brown, turn down heat to low and cover and let cook for 1/2 hr. Remove, drain and – eat honest fried chicken.

July 7, 2011 at 8:58 am | Reply
  2. Deaddog

ke my chicken see link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46EYqZrSI0

July 7, 2011 at 8:10 am | Reply
  3. Mamie

I juts waits until the chiken coop catches fire and den I'z gots Luzianna style blackened fryed chiken. Lawds yes!

July 7, 2011 at 7:45 am | Reply
  4. B. Copeland

Don't forget the cornflakes...yes that's right...crunched up cornflakes after you've dipped the chicken in the flour. Do a second egg wash and roll the coated chicken in crushed corn flakes. It comes out so crispy.

July 7, 2011 at 4:19 am | Reply
  5. guest

Use a buttermilk soak and Cajun fish fry mix. It's made with corn flour for extra crunch and has cajun seasoning in it. Pan fry or deep fry. Distinctively yummy. Super easy and it will seem like you have a special recipe!

July 7, 2011 at 2:54 am | Reply
  6. DAISHI

I do so enjoy my rice and frijoles alongside some good fried chicken.

July 7, 2011 at 2:08 am | Reply
  7. Julie Thomas

My Aunt & Uncle ran a Broaster franchise in the '60's. The chicken was marinated, breaded and fried in oil inside big pressurized contraptions. The cooking process was quick and the result was amazing.

July 7, 2011 at 12:15 am | Reply
  8. rick springfield

One trick used in these parts is to use pancake mix for the coating. You can simply add salt, pepper, and a pinch of chili powder. There are two local outlets who make the best fried chicken this way. They also serve other sides like fried pickles, onion rings, tater tots, fries, fried mushrooms, and things like cheese nachos. Neither of these restaurants will give you a single dish to eat on. Just wax paper and paper trays. The trick about keeping the coating on is to mix up a batch of milk and sugar. That's how they do it at Chick-fil-a and Church's. Dipping it first in the milk/sugar mix then the pancake mix, you put it into the hot oil. You should deep fry it if you want that Church's consistency. You can pan fry it if you want grandma's style.
    If you want to duplicate the Chic-fil-a chicken you can use a mixture of all purpose flour, some seasoned salt, and pepper. Dip the filets in the mil/sugar mix and then the coating. Cook on both sides for about 10 minutes. It should taste a lot like the filets you buy in the mall.

July 7, 2011 at 12:05 am | Reply
  9. Jon's Musings

Depends upon who makes the chicken. Home made is one thing and that's how I generally prefer fried chicken.

July 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  10. carol

ah... I LONG to be able to eat fried chicken, but i'll just have to enjoy the pics. Losing half my small intestine to a torsion means that I can't eat fried anything... but at least I can LOOK.

July 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  11. J

KFC in So Cal is celebrating too! 8 Pcs for only $4.99! Check it out on their facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KFCSoCal

July 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  12. William

Deb& OldMom have it right. Their version is straight out of the original Charleston Receipts cookbook. Anything else is merely heresy...

July 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  13. Ms. Grammar

There was a restaurant in Monroe, Michigan that served broasted (combination broiled and roated) chicken. I prefer crisp fried chicken, myself. We covered the pan, too, but at the end of the cooking; not the beginning. Still nice and crispy; not soggy.

July 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  14. Newave

Has anyone tried "Broasted" chicken? What do you think?

July 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Reply
    • Owen H.

Broasted and Broaster are registered trademarks of the Broaster company of Beloit, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it has a name that (like the Kleenex trademark) has become rather generic and confusing in it's use. Broasted chicken is made in a commercial pressure fryer. The chicken is marinated in Broaster-brand Chickite marinade and breaded in Broaster-brand Slo-Bro seasoning. It is cooked in the Broaster-brand pressure fryer for 12 minutes in 360 degree oil at a pressure of around 12 p.s.i. You have to own a Broaster brand pressure fryer to advertise that name in a commercial environment. Their are other brands of commercial pressure fryers, like Henny Penny, BKI, Winston Collectramatic, etc. that cook almost identically, but you can not legally advertise that chicken as Broasted – they will enforce their trademark to protect their licensed distributors.

July 7, 2011 at 7:52 am | Reply
    • Owen H.

And to answer your question, NEWAVE, genuine Broasted chicken is some of the best fried chicken available! I actually prefer it to KFC original recipe, which has too many contrasting seasonings for my tastes. The key is to follow the Broaster factory training to the letter, and serve it fresh. That means hand-marinating, hand breading, and using 3-pound chickens cooked in small batches to be eaten immediately. Unfortunately, too much commercial fried chicken out there (including KFC) sits under a heat lamp for half an hour and gets dried out. Or, it is allowed to cool in a closed container and gets soggy. A batch of Broasted (or any commercial pressure fried) chicken cooks in 12 minutes, so it's not difficult to get it fresh. Another bad trend in the industry is to use pre-marinated and pre-breaded chicken (to reduce your employee hours and costs). It's just not the same as the classic hand-prepared Broaster brand method that's been used by that company for around 50 years. All pressure fryer manufacturers, including Broaster, also offer other seasonings and marinades (like spicy or Cajun, for example) so you can vary your product offerings. And any product that can be cooked in a deep fryer can also be cooked in a commercial pressure fryer. Broasted fish and Broasted potatoes are also excellent! While new commercial pressure fryers can be a bit expensive, you can also find used machines for a better price, just as with any restaurant equipment.

July 7, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply
  15. Mz. Peachez

July 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  16. Mz. Peachez

July 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Reply
    • Deaddog

How do you embed a youtube video on a post?

July 7, 2011 at 8:30 am | Reply
  17. Cathy

Well, the secret to FABULOUS fried chicken, is using LARD from pastured pork, just like our grandmother's did. If you are afraid of lard, I encourage you to take another look. It's chock-a-block full of Vitamin D...if the pigs are raised outside. Also, I' heard on Fox & Friends yesterday, the Greenwich Country Club Chef – Keith Armstrong, say that his secret is Self Rising Flour.

July 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • kim in kentucky

And the best biscuits are made with lard!

July 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  18. OldMom

Deb is the only one so far who mentioned covering the pan. This was recommended to me a LONG time ago, and I thought "No – that will make the chicken soggy instead of crispy". But it is right. Shake the chicken in a bag of seasoned flour (egg wash not necessary). Place chicken in very hot oil AND COVER with lid. Let it cook for about 8 minutes (peek to see how browned it is). Turn browned pieces over and finish frying WITHOUT lid. Drain on paper towels. Is always crisp, NEVER soggy!

July 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  19. Deb

I cut up whole fryers, wash and pat dry. Soak in canned evaporated milk over night. The milk doesn't burn like eggs. Heat Crisco liquid oil in deep iron skillet. Mix flour, LOTS of salt and pepper. Dredge very milky chicken in flour. Drop in hot oil and cover. Don't even look at it for at least 6-7 minutes. Turn when crust is medium golden brown and finish cooking uncovered. Three generations have cooked fried chicken this way and when you tell your friends your making fried chicken for dinner, it's instant crowd! Party's ON!

July 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  20. Noxious Sunshine

My mom doesnt bother with an egg wash either & her fried chicken (among other things such as her steaks.& home made fudge) are legendary amongst my best friends growing up.. Lol oh lord.. Now I need some.. Ha ha

July 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  21. byndpst

I fry chicken the way my mother in law taught me. Using her 14" cast iron skillet (inherited), start the Crisco heating. Burn off the pin feathers & then wash the chicken. Salt, pepper, then dredge in flour. Put in the oil until the breading starts to turn brown at the oil's edge. Turn ONCE. Cook until the breading looks almost the same color as on the top. Take out, drain & eat! Hot or cold. MMMMMM! MMMMM!!! Mashed potatoes, gravy & fresh green beans on the side. You just can't go wrong.

July 6, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  22. Loopman

You are all making me super hungry for a Southern-Fried leg or thigh. Love the home-fried version but don't do the KFC thing. Got some there a few years ago that was almost raw. Swore that I would never go back. Happy chicken frying to all. Cluck, Cluck.

July 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  23. T3chsupport

My recipe is simple, and gold.
    Get chicken, skin on, bone in. Breasticles.
    With pepper, salt, season salt, and garlic powder, season the hell out of those things! Rub it in, do it some more.
    Then bounce them around in a bag of flour, but not TOO much flour. That over-seasoning on the chicken is going to come off in the flour- save it. I don't bother with egg dipping or anything like that.
    Then, commence to fryin'!

Once those are done, put them on some paper towels and stick them somewhere warm.
    Drain most of your grease, leaving some, and leaving all of the delicious burned bits and crumbles.
    Go down to a low simmer.
    Take a few table spoons of the flour you tossed the chicken and mix it up with the grease, it should look like a paste, but not a super thick paste. Add a bit of milk, and stir it until it starts to bubble, at which point it will begin to thicken. Once it thickens to the consistency you want, add more milk. If it stops thickening up, take some of that flour and mix it with some cold milk and mix that in (never just throw flour in hot anything, you'll get chunks, same with corn starch for making brown gravies). Salt and pepper to taste once you've reached the consistency you want.

July 6, 2011 at 11:52 am | Reply
  24. I want da gold!

To me it look like a leprechaun to me.

July 6, 2011 at 11:27 am | Reply
  25. Chris R

Something they don't mention is that you have to use the *right* kind of chicken. Using a broiler – a large older chicken – will cause you to overcook the coating waiting for the meat to cook. You need to use the smaller fryer chicken (hence the name 'fryer' and opposed to 'broiler'). I know it sounds like a minor thing but it makes a big difference.

July 6, 2011 at 10:51 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Always good to know, thanks!

July 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Reply
    • vagabondking

Don't use a broiler, chicken is older & is tougher. The chicken people know what chicken works best depending on the method of cooking

July 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Reply
      • vagabondking

I can't read

July 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  26. PeterD

Looks Yummyyyyyyyyyy

July 6, 2011 at 10:39 am | Reply
  27. Evil Grin

Mmm... Sounds like dinner.

I make mine simply by washing the chicken, dipping it in egg whites, then coating it with flour. I slow fry mine in a pan with canola and olive oil on low heat, and turn the poor piece or chicken over like a hundred times, but I have yet to burn the coating while the chicken stays raw. It's always come out perfectly crisp and cooked really well. I also always wait to add the salt and spices until the very end when the chicken is fresh out of the pan. I just sprinkle a bit of salt and spice over top, and I get the great flavor without adding too much to the flour.

July 6, 2011 at 10:35 am | Reply
  28. Dizzyd

Mmm. . .I'm hungry!

July 6, 2011 at 10:24 am | Reply
  29. Harlan Sanders

And gravy made from the drippins and the crunchies on white bread or a biscuit for desert!!

July 6, 2011 at 10:06 am | Reply
  30. The_Mick

I made KFC original in a fast-food restaurant as a teen in the 60's, and here's a pan-fried approximation with 1/2 the salt. For each 2 lb of chicken parts: In a 1 gal. plastic or paper bag, shake together 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning (if your going to double coat, as I'll describe, add an extra 1/2 cup flour). Some claim (and you can try) that you also need (about 1 tsp each): parsley, paprika, sage, tarragon [use VERY little first time], basil, ginger, marjoram, onion powder, baking powder, but my experience is they're not necessary. In a small bowl whisk together 1 egg and 1/2 cup milk to make egg wash. Trim the excess skin off pieces like thighs. Grab each thigh in one hand by the solid bone that runs along one side. With the other hand bend the rest of the thigh back so that the single bone running through the middle dislocates from its socket – this makes it cook thoroughly. After rinsing the chicken parts under water, coat them in the egg wash, let the excess run off for a few seconds, then place it in the flour mixture and shake a few times to coat the chicken. To double-coat, repeat the egg wash and flour steps. Place the breaded chicken in a frying pan with 1/4" of cooking oil (it will rise enough as chicken is added) that's been heated over a medium-low flame. Let it go for about 13-15 min, until bottom crust is brown, then turn it over and do the same with the other side. Blot off the excess oil and eat. The original recipe called for deep frying in a pressure cooker. Place the chicken in 350F oil with the flame on high and a 15 psi pressure gauge. When the gauge begins to whistle, lower the flame and cook for an additional 7 minutes. The deep frier does produce the crispier famous KFC crust, but I still like the pan fried alternative better.

July 6, 2011 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • Matt

Thanks Mick!

July 6, 2011 at 9:59 am | Reply
    • missingkfc

Thanks! My family will not eat meat on the bone and I miss KFC a lot! I get it once in a great while for lunch but thats it. They'll go to El Pollo Loco because they offer non bone in options they like but I miss the originial recipe taste. I will be trying this, maybe I can get it to work on boneless chicken and have the best of both worlds.

July 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Reply
    • Owen H.

KFC uses Henny Penny brand commercial pressure fryers, not stove top pressure cookers – something quite different. If you try to add any substantial amount of oil and deep fry in a residential stove top pressure cooker you are looking to create a very dangerous accident. Commercial pressure frying does more than create a crisp crust. It makes the chicken more juicy and also shortens cooking times. And one other thing that most people don't know about creating "their" KFC or Broasted chicken recipe is that it has to be marinated in a salt brine overnight before putting it in a commercial pressure fryer.

July 7, 2011 at 7:40 am | Reply
  31. Bobby G.

I LOVES me some yard-bird, hot or cold, its just the YUM!

July 6, 2011 at 9:50 am | Reply
  32. Jerv

I know what's for dinner.

July 6, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply
  33. JB

The line at Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville gonna be even further out the door today.

July 6, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
  34. Truth@RichHead

I think I can smell that picture from here...

Drive safely on the way back Bro!

July 6, 2011 at 9:07 am | Reply
  35. RichardHead

MMMMMM...chicken breastesses, my favorite.

July 6, 2011 at 9:04 am | Reply
    • Karl Wilder

As a southerner I know that what MAKES fried chicken is the seasoning. With the flavorless breast meat you need extra spice. Just flour salt and pepper makes a boring chicken.

July 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Reply
      • Tenderitis

If the chicken breast or any other part of the bird is flavorless, you need to buy better chicken.
        As a Northerner, I know that a good meal must start with quality ingredients and there will be no need to over-flavor the meat.

July 7, 2011 at 9:02 am | Reply