Jon Huntsman is for life, liberty and the pursuit of really great street food
June 24th, 2011

Now that former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman has officially entered the GOP presidential field, he's making a play for a small but passionate group of voters: street food fanatics.

"Street food is so fresh, and it's so good and it's so cheap," he says.

The Republican presidential candidate's newly launched website includes a video called "Jon's Favorite Foods" where he talks about only one kind of cuisine: the kind you eat on the street.

Huntsman offers dual rationales for his love of street food: a childhood fondness for a taco stand in Studio City California called Henry's Tacos and his time abroad in developing countries where he was a Mormon missionary and later an ambassador.

He also discusses taking his staff to a taco stand in Salt Lake City and having staff meetings on the sidewalk over tacos.

Huntsman does not address street food policy in the clip, which is a hot topic on the culinary scenes in some cities, only professes his love for the cuisine.

"I've actually dragged my family back there driving half way across the state of California just for a Henry's burrito, but that's probably where my addiction started".

Previously - Meet the mobile organic market and Bush loves Cheetos, McCain digs Dots and Clinton will nab your nachos

Posted by:
Filed under: Campaign Trail • Food Trucks • Restaurants

1. Panties

Tacos and Burritos always taste better when the eaters are Naked. I know from experience. In fact, I am Naked now.

June 27, 2011 at 1:00 am |
  2. Rick Parry-TX Gov. & EX Texas A&M Cheerleader with Better looking Legs.

Where is my staff?Contact John Edwards hair stylist,I need a new look.

June 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  3. Geraldo Rearenda

LIVE FEED– It is Carnage Everywhere I look..A Taco Truck has hit and from what I can get from my sources,has run over Mr. Huntsman. His hair still looks perfect,yet his package now has a Bridgestone tire upon it. Taco sauce everywhere--pass the cheese....Film at 11:00.

June 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  4. EWli

Huntsman is the MSM's favorite Republican candidate.

June 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  5. Eddie

When the former Ambassador to China comments on his love of street food, I certainly hope he's only referring to the American version. Yes, Chinese street food is fresh... its still alive.

June 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  6. NO MORE COMMENTS ON CNN POLITICAL TICKER

CNN do not allow this comments anymore. It's a forum idiots use to spew their hate from Obama to W to everything. Just eliminate this part. It will do you and us very good.

Thanks

June 25, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • T3chsupport

That doesn't reduce the hate, it just takes away a venue.

June 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  7. Ray

Street vendors handling money/coins and, without washing their hands, going about preparing your favorite tex-mex delicacy.

Yeah makes for healthy and hygienic food!

June 25, 2011 at 9:26 am |
    • Dave the Street Food Vendor

Most street food vendors do sanitize their hands between handling money, and handling food. I know I do, and require my employees to as well. Our trucks/Trailers are inspected by the state health dept, and are many times much more hygenic, than the teenagers running your local fast food place.

June 25, 2011 at 10:31 am |
      • Ray

Dave,

I hear what you say and I do agree with you on fast food outlets.

However, the reality is that when their street stands are suddenly swamped by many hungry clients, most operators appear to forget their good sanitary intentions and tend to cut corners for the sake of making as much sales as possible.

Wish you success with your own business.

June 25, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  8. free speach lover

The only gop candidate I could ever vote for and has the only chance of beating the big O is rudy.

June 25, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  9. free speach lover

AAricks. If u don't like reading it click back u silly goose. Just like a radio or tv. If u don't want to see or hear it, change the damn channel.

June 25, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  10. unforgetable

lets all take back our country without being hipocrits unless you care to live mediocer like other inpoverished countries grow up or shutup

June 25, 2011 at 5:42 am |
  11. Jimbo

This is the real GOP candidate; he's the one who could beat Obama. The GOP willl not realize that. Mark my word.

June 25, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  12. SoFunny

Reince Priebus when will you be coming out of the closet, tea baggers for change!

June 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  13. Randy, San Francisco

While five extreme wingnut social conservative/Tea Party presidential candidates make a pitch before a rabid crowd of anti-abortionists, Huntsman makes a play for street food fanatics on his website. Let's see....Huntsman is the most serious candidate of the group.

June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  14. David

Why is it that all of these GOP'ers have a severely bad fake tan?

June 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  15. Texas Doc

Who is this guy again? I'm getting my Mormon GOP candidates confused. Aren't he and Romney cousins?

June 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • AARicks

oooOOooo snap. MORMON JOKES. this is getting great! polygamy jokes are back on the table! but when can we start making fun of Texas again? I need Rick Perry! Or better yet, George W needs to come back. That way, people on CNN comment sections can once again declare over and over again that Texans are racist, backwater screw-ups like yourself. while the two Mormon billionaires from Utah and Massachusetts continue campaign, ignoring stupid comments such as yours.

June 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
      • vonna huitt

Honey, Rick Perry is what we call here "All hat and no cattle" – He's George Bush Lite, right down to copying his mannerisms (although he can formulate longer sentences, they have very little substance and are prone to hyperbole). But, like Jon Huntsman, he has great hair!

June 25, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  16. AARicks

Dear CNN.com,

I would like to commend you for being an excellent and accessible news outlet among the plethora of news sites and blogs. However, I find that your reader comments and "sound off" sections at the bottom of your articles are the biggest alienating factors on your website. Particularly when attached to political articles, reader comments sections are the breeding grounds for hatred, misinformation, and propaganda. Please, for the sake of good reporting and information, don't allow these comments to be attached directly to the bottom of articles. Perhaps you can create a seperate section of your website dedicated to providing a forum so that these disgusting tirades denouncing George W. Obama, mormons with fourteen wives, tax-n-spend liberals, or blood-sucking GOPers can be isolated away from a credible news source such as CNN.

I ask not because I want to censor this type of speech, but because I am a long time reader of CNN.com. I visit and read news from this site at least half a dozen times a day. But I am sad to say that it has come to the point where I can no longer stomach reading political articles on your website due to the filth that infests the bottom of your articles.

I would like to point out that the New York Times website has created a separate page for discussion on individual articles. If I want to engage in an angry, sensationalist, and reactionary discussion on the NY Times website, I have to go out of my way to click on the "comments" section.

I beg of you to remove these comments from view. I am so tempted to take a peek at the reader comments, and once I do I am overcome by a feeling of remorse and depression.

All the best,

Aaron Ricks
    A Concerned Reader

June 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Rick Sanchez

Nobody reads the New York Times and very few watch CNN since I got fired.

June 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
      • AARicks

That's exactly why I stopped watching CNN, obviously.

June 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
      • vonna huitt

yeah, Rick – they screwed the pooch when they fired you.

June 25, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • Lorenzo

I disagree. I often will just skim a CNN article and then scroll straight down to the comments, where I can REALLY be entertained. You see, there is no such thing as news anymore–everything is entertainment.

June 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  17. GOP Tea Party Say NO to Killing Terrorist Ghadaffi But Say YES to Kill Grandma Medicare and Social Security

Wow CNN!? – Sometimes your bias is very glaring!

Maybe you guys at CNN can take a breather off of permanently planting your lips on Jon Huntmann's behind!

There are other news behind gloating over this hypocrite who took a job with the Obama administration just to burnish his foreign policy credentials as China Ambassador....but is now slamming President Obama!!!

Jon Huntmann is not even worth being called a snake oil salesman...he is a snake!!!

June 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  18. GOP Tea Party Say NO to Killing Ghadaffi But Say YES to Right Wing Radical Social Engeering to Kill Medicare and Social Security

Wow CNN!? – Sometimes your bias is very glaring!

June 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • AARicks

God, the people that comment on CNN political articles are just hilarious.

June 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • DGeneric

Noone is trying to "kill" SSI or medicare, but the programs are broken, or broke would be a better description . They were designed with all the best intentions I am sure, but have become a Federal "bank" account from which to borrow from. The Federal government can not be trusted to be fiscally responsible. If there is not, at least, some serious reform of these programs they will be BROKE in no time soon. It is a much better option to let the states implement their own social programs to "aid" our poor, disabled, and our Seniors.

June 25, 2011 at 8:44 am |
  19. b

"I may be a billionaire hellbent on nixing medicare to fund tax breaks for the rich, but I like street food. See, I'm just like you pathetic poor people.

June 24, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • vonna huitt

Ahh....but he has great hair!! And breeds like a member of the Duggars.

June 25, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  20. OldieTampaBay

WHERE r these idiots coming from? The GOP is starting to look like the B&B Circus. Every day a new performer comes out from under a rock.

June 24, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  21. Morgan

This guy is awesome. Can it be that there is a politician that I can relate too? And, I don't just mean "street food" ... I mean, he is so down to earth, but at the same time intelligent and looking out for our best interests! Wow ... finally, a national politician that isn't far right or far left!

June 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • DGeneric

What do you know about this guy? Down to earth? He is the son of a millionaire, never worked a day in his life. Was the Ambassador to China, you know the country where all your cheap junk is made. As far as his intellect goes, he is "smart" enough to say whatever he needs to say to influence voters that would gather such an insightful opinion of him from a rediculous article about "Henry's burrito".

June 25, 2011 at 8:34 am |
      • Susan

I can speak from personal experience. He check prices at the grocery store. When he was governor we shopped at the same store (Smiths in the Aves). He's a hard worker, a sensible man (not often a word used for politicians) and if anyone woul have ever told me I would vote for a mormon republican, twice, I would have laughed. But I did.

The day he went to China was the saddest day for Utah Democrats, and that's saying something important. Of course it won't appeal to the partisian screamers, but if you want a candidate that can fix this country and not pander to special interests, he's the one.

Someone in my local paper posted "If Huntsman can bring booze into Utah, imagine what he could do with a free country." Think about that.

June 26, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  22. Ellis

CNN, nice fluff piece. Real hard hitting journalism here. Did you just copy and past the Huntsman e-mail?

June 24, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • DAT67

Yes, everything they report – even in the "Eatocracy" section – should be hard news. (Since obviously you're a little dim, this statement is called "sarcasm")

June 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  23. RichardHead

Another Liberal Stooge. I hate it when Food Blogs get Political. HA!

June 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • latenightbark

What are you talking about. He is a Mormon Republican. Not really a liberal bunch. You my friend are the moron.

P.S. Street Food is great!

June 25, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • T3chsupport

Ah, partisan constituents... not even paying attention to who's in their own field!

June 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,325 other followers