Breakfast buffet: National pecan sandies day
June 23rd, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

Another day, another nutty cookie holiday - June 23 is National Pecan Sandies Day.

Simple yet elegant, these fine little cookies use flour, sugar, butter and toasted chopped pecans in the best possible way.

With their shortbread-esque texture, these make-your-home-smell-divine treats get their name from sables or "sand",  delicate, crumbly French butter cookies - but you won't get a mouthful of sand biting into one.

These cookies are a treat all year long and very simple to make. In honor of the name, why not bake up a batch and take them along on your next shoreline stroll?

Then you'll have sand in between your toes,  a smile on your face and you won't have to clean up the crumbs.

1. Kazia Jankowski, Big World | Small Kitchen

Who knew! Nothing better than dessert for breakfast (or for every meal)

June 25, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  2. Val

Well I just happen to live in the self-proclaimed pecan capital of the world (San Saba, Texas) and it is pronounced puh-cahns here.

June 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Pixie Chick of Texas

Val Yeah right on! Only Northerners call them "Pee – cans. :) I have been through San Saba many times and it truly is the pecan "puh-cahn" capital of the world. So if anyone knows the correct way to pronounce pecan, you folks would.

July 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  3. Ms. Grammar

Always heard a pee-can was something a truck driver would need and a puh-can was a nut. "Tomayto/tomahto, potayto/potahto...let's call the whole thing off."

June 24, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  4. JT

I've never had a pecan sandy. In fact, I'd never heard of them until watching "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and hearing Danny Devito's character mention them.

I will, however, eat some pecans in their place. Probably on a salad – I'm thinking the Pecan Apple Chicken salad from Wendy's... is it lunch time yet?

and just ftr, i call 'em pee-cans, not puh-cahns (grew up with several trees in my yard :))

June 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  5. Evil Grin

Skipping this day. Really don't like these cookies.

I will, however, go for some kind of cookie, if it's any consolation.

June 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  6. Mildred

I love these cookies...

June 23, 2011 at 9:49 am |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,611 other followers