June 21st, 2011

You say Food & Wine Classic in Aspen, we say the Food, Wine and Moonshine Classic in Our Happy Place. We chat and quaff with the makers of Ole Smoky Moonshine - and somehow manage to keep all our faculties intact.

Get more from CNNI Back|Story and see all Food & Wine Classic coverage

1. imadome

Its great for colds. Just add peppermint. Works wonders!

July 4, 2011 at 3:09 am | Reply
  2. Bill Elliot#21

Nascar caught me puttin' some shine into the fuel tank. Haven't won a race since. :((

June 22, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
  3. MRET

Had it once in OK, and it wasn't bad. The stories of going blind have to do with drinkers of Methanol, or "wood alcohol," not regular Ethanol, which is what table vodka and other booze actually is.

June 22, 2011 at 9:56 am | Reply
  4. Breaking New!

The makers of Ole Smoky Moonshine have just released a new, non alcoholic, product labeled as "Sunshine". According to the makers, when you spend all night drinking Sunshine you "wake up feeling like you sipped on rainbows and bunnies all night".

And now back to your regularly scheduled Eatocracy...

June 22, 2011 at 9:38 am | Reply
  5. MalaDee

If I could get my hands on some, I'd try it.

June 22, 2011 at 9:28 am | Reply
  6. NC

My family's from Wilkes County NC. My great grandaddy was a revenuer during prohibition. My daddy still comes across stills in the valleys out in the woods when he's working. Most are old, some . . not so much. My husband and I actually used his grandpa's old still metal drum to serve drinks out of at our rehearsal dinner for our wedding. Best I've ever had was from TN and had marinated cherries in it. SMOOOOTH.

June 22, 2011 at 9:19 am | Reply
  7. Hal

I made brandy moonshine when I was in high school from wine that wasn't good enough to drink on it's own. Then filtered it through charcoal and flavored it with liquid smoke and added enough food coloring to turn it a smoky brown. It tasted just as good as bonded brandy. I used a still made from lab glass so lead solder wasn't an issue.

June 22, 2011 at 6:54 am | Reply
    • BeerBrewerDan

This isn't moonshine. This is brandy.

June 22, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply
  8. Moto

Yuo, we recently visited Ole Smokey Moonshine and purchased 3 Mason Jars full. Shine on.

June 22, 2011 at 6:07 am | Reply
  9. Epidi

My Grandfather in Alabama made it when he was alive. Tasted like smooth tequila. He also made wine from whatever grew in his garden. Grandpa always had homemade booze around. I sure wish I knew how he did it. He did caution that you had to be careful where you got shine from as some of it was so badly made it would make you sick. He also said some shine tasted so bad that if you spit on a roach after a swallow, all you'd have left was a grease spot on the floor, lol.

June 22, 2011 at 5:23 am | Reply
  10. farm gal

My grandpappy was a runner back in his day so I grew up around it. Aint nothin like some 'good ole Apple Pie to get your motor runnin'. Heck, that stuff was so potent we used to use it in our dirtbikes when we were out of gas money and pap wasn't lookin' cuz he would have given us a good whack for wastin somethin that precious!! I still keep a qt (or 2) on hand just for medicinal purposes, its good for the arthritis. The best tastin stuff comes from the NE TN and Western NC mountains.So if you find yourself in the dry town of Gatlinburg,just ask some of the locals to hook you up!

June 22, 2011 at 5:06 am | Reply
  11. M.K.

Making and drinking white eye is not a big deal for folks my age that have lived in North Georgia for almost seventy-five years.When I was growing up in North Georgia just about everybody in the small town of Canton, Georgia, Dawsonville, Georgia and other mountain towns traded it for goods and services. As long as the likker was made right and was sanitary, it filled a void that was created by the loss of jobs and kept a lot of folks from going hungry. I can remember going to folks houses and seeing a half gallon fruit jar sitting on the kitchen table and it was common.

June 22, 2011 at 2:41 am | Reply
  12. jleb

My daddy used to make it when i was a kid.. you could smell the sour mash cooking down the block.. I was in charge of filling the bottles when distilling off the alcohol after they ran thru the activated charcoal in the funnel.. he taught me how to read the 'bead' for proof.. He used to bury it in 5 gallon jugs w/ charred oak staves in the glass jugs.. 3 months later it was smooth as silk.. Since I was 10 years old I couldn't appreciate it, but the neighbors and friends sure did..

June 22, 2011 at 2:36 am | Reply
  13. LobaAuuu!

I know a published author and seminar host who built and used a still, but tore it down because of old fed laws from the time of the prohibition allow for confiscation of your property if a functioning still is found on your property. still think they musta had one workin somewhere cuz my 4 yr old grabbed the wrong cup, took a swig and said (actually comparing it to salsa) "that's HOT sauce!"

June 22, 2011 at 2:03 am | Reply
  14. lance corporal

I prefer ganja as an illegal inebriant

June 22, 2011 at 1:17 am | Reply
  15. lance corporal

living in west NC in the mountains it is around frequently

June 22, 2011 at 1:16 am | Reply
  16. mjh

world is a mysterious place to live in

June 22, 2011 at 12:59 am | Reply
  17. Stephen

Mighty, mighty pleasin', pappy's corn squeezin's, shoooweee! white lightin'!

June 22, 2011 at 12:43 am | Reply
  18. brenda

When I were a child I knew many family members who made moonshine.Even today its not that hard to get.Its very smooth if it hasn't been scorched.Personally I can't handle it or any hard stuff,because the Indian in me comes out.Believe me it can be found.

June 21, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Reply
  19. Chris

I'm from west virginia what do you think?

June 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  20. Just like my paw taught me

YEEE HAW.

June 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  21. dehcated

I had the chance to try some moonshine brought from Kentucky (I live in Indiana). It had peppermint in it and was very, very strong; I took a few nips. If only I had known not to drink a water chaser...I woke up the next day in my bed at home, but I have no recollection of the previous night after the drink.

June 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  22. Phil

Me and my younger brother made when we were in our teens. Our grandfather told us how he used to make it when he was in his teens back in Kentucky.
    For some reason it did not taste too good after we were through.
    Grandpa told us you could tell how string it was by giving the mason jar a few quick shakes and watch and see how big the bubbles got, and how quick they popped. Some of the bad stuff was referred to as "bust head" because the next day after drinking some of it you thought your head had been busted.
    We made our own steel as our family had our own sheetmetal business and we made it all out of stainless steel and copper welded with silver solder, not lead solder.
    Would like to do this now with my own children, but not sure if if is legal, I have heard that it is if you do not sell any, not sure.

June 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Reply
    • Cindy

I think you have to make it for yourself, can't sell it – and limited to 26 gallons per year (or something like that). Not sure if the law varies by state, but you might want to check your local laws.

June 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Reply
      • BeerBrewerDan

Cindy, are you sure you know what you're talking about?

June 22, 2011 at 9:39 am | Reply
  23. Truth@EGrin

Did you just call me?

June 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  24. Evil Grin

I haven't, but family lore is that my grandfather used to make it. He died when I was a child, so how much of that is true is in history's hands, but that's what I've been told.

Secretly, I hope it's the truth.

June 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Reply