"Dad, my throat hurts. Can you get me some cough drops?" B.J. Hom asked his father, Brian.
Brian had no idea those would be the last words he would hear his son say.
The Hom family had just arrived at a resort in Los Cabos, Mexico, to celebrate B.J.'s high school graduation and 18th birthday. But while Brian went to get cough drops at the gift shop, B.J. collapsed, his lips blue and his face pale, gasping for breath. He died that night from an allergic reaction, probably to unnoticed peanuts in a dessert from the dinner buffet.
"It was like someone reached in and ripped our hearts out," said Brian Hom of San Jose, California.
See all peanut allergy coverage
Visit Eatocracy’s new home
Don't miss a single new story. Visit us at our (temporary) new home on CNN.com