That first cone is king
June 9th, 2011

Mark Hill is Director of Photography for Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. He really loves coffee.

I know it is hot outside. Really hot. But what can you do? It's still technically spring, but the heat isn't likely to break for another day or two.

We all search for relief in sterile, air-conditioned homes and offices, but is that really the solution that will bring a true smile to your face? I have an idea: have an ice cream cone.

Close your eyes and try to remember the first time someone handed you an ice cream cone on a really hot day. You walked out of the store and the heat of the afternoon sun blasted your face. You held the cone tightly, but gently so as not to crush the delicate waffle that held your scoop. As you gently licked, your tongue burned with the cold and then succumbed to the creamy goodness that is unique to ice cream - and you were happy. Really happy.

I recently taught my son how to manage an ice cream cone on a hot day. Showing him the art of licking the circumference to stem the flow of melt on his fingers. How to gently work the ice cream down into the cone to ensure that you were not left without ice cream in the end. I also coached him to avoid the worst tragedy of them all: seeing your beloved scoop melting on the hot pavement because you were a little too aggressive. He is learning and I am happy to indulge his love for a cold scoop whenever I am home.

Would you like a swirl of cicada with that?

Posted by:
Filed under: Dishes • Ice Cream

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Soleada

Mayfield's ice cream is the best! I looove some MooseTracks.. Also Ben & Jerry's Half Baked & Cold Stone Creamery are really delicious!

June 10, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  2. Evil Grin

Is it just me or does that kid look like the one from the Problem Child movies?

June 9, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Josh

"Showing him the art of licking the circumference to stem the flow of melt on his fingers."

Am I the only one who read this and did a double take?

June 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  4. jillmarie

I love chocolate yogurt soft-serve in a wafer cone, yum! Being pregnant, this article made me want some. I'll pick up cones on my way home- I've been meaning to, thanks for the reminder!

June 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • fob

Congratulations! When I was pregnant with my 3rd, I would stand in the kitchen and eat chocolate ice cream right out of the carton. And, typically, I'm not one to eat chocolate ice cream.

June 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  5. Elvis The King

Peanut Butter and Nanner ice cream RULES!

June 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  6. jj

Yeah, all that fat and sugar is really good for you.

June 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • The Witty One

Fat and sugar is good for you!

June 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  7. JBJingles@Lanfart, er Lanfear

How do you feel about a nice big juicy steak on the grill?

June 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • I eat meat

With a cone or two after?

June 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
      • Lala

Hmmm, fajitas in a corn cone topped with a scoop of quacamole and drizzled with chopped, not blended, salsa. I could dig that.

June 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  8. Elvin

Chocolate with Vanilla in a waffle bowl with granola chunks, chocolate chips and whipped cream.

June 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  9. Tofu

Unless it is vegan, fat free, organic, fair trade sugar and chocolate you should not eat it.

June 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Thumper@Tofu

What?? Are you a tree huggin, bunny thumpin, liberal stooge??

June 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  10. Demos

It's so hot today. I'm going out for ice cream! Visit http://www.waycoolcafe.com

June 9, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Jerv

They have Granitas!

June 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  11. Unsatisfied

I'm sorry to say this but I am very dissapointed that this article is in CNN. This could've been written by anyone with decent grammar and the subject was just boring and irrelevant. Nothing special about this.

June 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • John in NY

Not every article on CNN needs to be of earth shattering importance, and this, like most parts of the food section of the site are more blog entry then anything else.

Do you go to the the sports page and complain about the lack of political commentary? Or maybe the entertainment section to complain that it doesn't contain enough real news and instead is cluttered up with stories about entertainment?

June 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
      • Jerv

Couldn't agree more, kind sir.

June 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Lala

Contemplate your feelings after posting this by eating an ice cream cone and report back.

June 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  12. Caveman

After a hard day of slaying bunny humping, tree hugger liberal sttoges in the sprout patch, I prefer to be hand fed my ice cream out of a bucket by my harem.

June 9, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Ms. Grammar

ROTF LMAO!!!

June 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • John

ROFLMAO!

June 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  13. tatyana Rybakova

Hi, in Europe cones very tasty, here very dry and airy, and some of them very thick.

June 9, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  14. Josie

My dad makes amazing home-made ice-cream that is sweet and ironically when it comes to the fruit flavor ones uses the juice of the said fruit and not surger. Diabitics he has learned can even eat it! If it's something like that then go for it, but I will admit a good icecream cone on a hot day is amazing!

June 9, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  15. Glenn

Voted for cup due to full beard. Cones can really get messy but you do get to taste the ice cream for hours afterwards:)

June 9, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • dennis

yum, leftovers :)

June 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
      • dennis

Hey honey, kiss me and guess what I had for lunch...

June 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  16. JadeFalcon

Well I'm having an ice cream chocolate filed vanilla on a ice cream stick right now.

June 9, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  17. AJS

yum...I love strawberry ice cream. I'm getting one :)

June 9, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  18. Lauren

I honestly know 9th graders who can write better than this. Terrible piece.

June 9, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Mark

How do you "honestly know" someone? I bet those 9th graders have more sense than you.

June 9, 2011 at 11:19 am |
      • Lauren

How do you honestly know someone? I know them. That is an honest fact.
        Is that a legitimate question?

June 9, 2011 at 11:51 am |
      • Mark

Here is a couple bucks, go and get yourself some icecream and chill out.

June 9, 2011 at 11:55 am |
      • Lauren

June 9, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Lanfear

*Independant thought alert!*
      Lauren, how DARE you voice your opinion! Clearly you have no sense! o.O

June 9, 2011 at 11:28 am |
      • dennis

OH go suck on a lemon.

June 9, 2011 at 11:31 am |
      • Lauren

Oooooh, how silly of me!

June 9, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

Said the lady who can't even construct a complete sentence properly. "Terrible piece."? Come on – it's just an adjective and a noun. Go back to elementary school, Lauren.

June 9, 2011 at 11:32 am |
      • Jerv

WIN!

June 9, 2011 at 11:34 am |
      • Lauren

Darling, I wasn't hired by CNN, nor do I have any claim to professional journalism.
        It was terrible, as it was a piece. :)

June 9, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Lanfear

These people take their ice cream very serious. Clearly the fat-asses won't be giving it up any time soon. "It's my right to eat ice cream and how DARE you take it away!"

June 9, 2011 at 11:41 am |
      • Mare@Lanfer

Yup, it's my right to eat ice cream. Good FAT laden, sweet yummy ice cream.

I'm sorry you've had such a horrible life that you can't enjoy the simple pleasures of a good summer treat. Ice cream brings back so many great family memories of my grandparents. Making home made ice cream with an old hand crank machine, adding the ice and rock salt... Waiting (not so patiently) for it to be done, only to find out that we had to stir in the chopped Hershey bar, and stick it in the freezer again.

Then, after several hours, and after dinner, Grandma dishing out that wonderful tasty home made ice cream....

June 9, 2011 at 11:52 am |
      • Ryan in Michigan

And Lanfear's not about to give up on his long-term case of diarrhea of the mouth. You really out to get that looked at, preferrably by a psychiatrist.

June 9, 2011 at 11:55 am |
      • AleeD@Ryan in Michigan

I think the more effective doc for Lanfear would be a proctologist.

BTW "lan-not-so-fearful", you're causing Robert Jordan to spin in his grave. Lanfear was never the craven poosah you are.

June 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
      • Lanfear

Lanfear was also a made up person, dooche bag. You probably believe everything the bible tells you, too.

June 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
      • Delta@Land-a-far

You're pretty unrealistic yourself, turd.

June 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
      • Colt

You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

June 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Mare@Lauren

Haven't you heard "write for the masses".

While I agree, some articles don't read like technical manuals, I like the fact that they are quite readable, and that anyone can enjoy them – except if you are a troll that is.

June 9, 2011 at 11:59 am |
      • Lauren

Wow, wow, wow.
        Injured. I'm gonna go enjoy my lunch, now.
        Shall I grab you a bucket of oats on my way back?

June 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
      • Mare@Lauren

Sure – I'll take some steel cut oats (if you are smart enough to know what those are) Makes for a mighty fine breakfast.

June 9, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
      • Mare@lauren

By the way – even a 6 year old knows enough not to use "gonna", that the correct word it "GOING TO".

June 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
      • Fifiefo

Ah heck a troll enjoys these the best.

June 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • The Lisper@Lauren

No one was referring to your blow job offers in the boy's bathroom. A terrible piece is that wig you are wearing,even Beyonce would stomp on that.

June 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
      • Lala

lady gag-a wants to buy your wig.

June 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  19. Ryan in Michigan

My personal favorite ice creams were the Denali Classics that Country Fresh used to make, especially Peanut Butter Iditarod and Mother Lode. There was also Moose Traxx, Bear Claw, and a few others I can't remember now. I wish they still sold them in my area. Another good one was Great Value's Very Berry and Meijer's Black Heart. Very Berry was strawberry ice cream with blueberries and rasberries mixed in, while Black Heart was black cherry ice cream with blackberry jam swirls and chocolate pieces with blackberry filling. Those were awesome, but I haven't seen them for a couple years.

June 9, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • LumiyaKhai@RyaninMichigan

I remember those! I was a HUGE fan of the Iditarod flavor and I'm still a fan of any type of moose tracks i can find! Something about the mix of chocolate chunks and nuts and peanut butter :-D

June 9, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Jerv@Ryan in Michigan

Man, those all sound sooo good.

June 9, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  20. Lanfear

Ice cream cone? that's your solution to the heat? Just what we need, MORE fat americans.

There's nothing wrong with cold water, it will cool you down, it's healthy, and you can even dump it all over yourself.

June 9, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Delta@Lanfear

Now THERE'S a great idea: why don't you go dump all over yourself.

Azzjack.

June 9, 2011 at 10:51 am |
      • Mer

I see both sides. While I agree that there's nothing wrong with the occasional sweet treat, it is true that the author states he is happy to indulge his child in ice cream whenever he is home. Childhood obesity is a HUGE problem in this country (no pun intended), and it all starts with the parents. It's incredibly important to teach kids that sweets really are only for special occasions– not just because you happen to be home and the kid wants ice cream.

June 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
      • Delta@Mer

I don't argue with what you're saying. My snark is in response to Lanfear's miserable & misdirected attitude. Nothing more.

June 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Lanfear

Does the truth make you cry, fat ass?

June 9, 2011 at 10:54 am |
      • Jerv

I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. It was just a light hearted post about icecream. Jeeze.

June 9, 2011 at 11:02 am |
      • Ryan in Michigan

Ice cream's not bad if eaten in moderation. It's classified under the dairy section of the food pyramid (or whatever it is now that they've changed it again), and there are lowfat and fat free varieties, not to mention frozen yogurt and sherbert.

June 9, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • Lanfear

I'm the fuucking life of the party, biitch!

June 9, 2011 at 11:06 am |
      • Jerv

Nope, just another useless manky troll.

June 9, 2011 at 11:08 am |
      • Ryan in Michigan

We can see what drinking water did to you, Lanfear. It turned you into a loudmouthed, cranky, pissy, nasty, rotten, cussy old skank. Maybe you should sit back with a nice bowl of smooth ice cream, probably fat free vanilla since you've been on water for so long. Anything with chuncks or other flavor might not agree with you yet.

June 9, 2011 at 11:12 am |
      • dennis

Don't be so cranky, stanky. You can find enough change under the boardwalk for a cone too.

June 9, 2011 at 11:29 am |
      • AleeD@Lanfearandyourpi$$poorattitude

Gosh! Because of your lack-tittude, you could have saved yourself alot of typing.
        Instead of posting "I'm the fuucking life of the party, biitch!
        you should've posted "I'm the fuucking biitch!"

June 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Lanfear

I'm sorry you can't accept that you're fat and a burden to the health care system.

June 9, 2011 at 11:26 am |
      • dennis

Ooo, stress is the number one killer. You are a stroke waiting to happen. Guess what what you might be able to eat when you relearn to use your mouth....ice cream. enjoy.

June 9, 2011 at 11:30 am |
      • Ryan in Michigan

The sad fact is that most of these people, myself included, probably weigh less than you do, Lanfear.

June 9, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • JBJingles@Lanfear

You are a burden to society...eating an ice cream will not make you fat, idiot. And if someone here is fat, they can diet, where you will remain an ugly person and I don't mean physical beauty either.

June 9, 2011 at 11:36 am |
      • The Witty One@JBJ

that reminds me of Winston Churchill. He walked into Parliament drunk one day and a lady said to him, "Winston! You're drunk!". To which he replied, "And you, madam, are ugly. However, I will be sober in the morning."

June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
      • JBJingles@TWO

That is classic! Love it.

June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Lanfear

Wahh... the internets people think I'm fat and ugly :'(

It would be really funny if I cared.

June 9, 2011 at 11:39 am |
      • JBJingles@Lanfear

I take that back, you are a 13 yr. old in the basement. Sorry, I shouldn't pick on you.

June 9, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • LumiyaKhai@Lanfear

Just because you (apparently) have problems maintaining a healthy weight while eating sweets doesn't mean that all people suffer from that same problem. It's all about portion control and eating a balanced diet which can include indulgences such as ice cream! If you aren't able to cut back on those whoppers then maybe add some exercise along with that chocolate sauce. Easy solution: bike to the ice cream shop! or walk :-D

June 9, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • John

Yeah, much better to have more condescending and arrogant people such as yourself.

Ice cream does not make people fat, consistantly eating more calories then they burn off does. If you eat 3000 calories a day but only work off 1000 of them you will gain weight, and it doesn't really doesn't matter if it's 3000 calories of ice cream or of yogurt.

June 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  21. pb&j

This is a perfect description of what every parent has to go through! I remember getting irritated when my dad would lick my dripping cone for me b/c I was making a huge, helpless mess, but the other day I caught myself doing the same thing to/for my own child. It's a rite of passage for everyone, I guess.

This little article made me giggle. :-)

June 9, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • Jerv

Yeah, me too. I loved it.

June 9, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  22. Evil Grin

If I had any money at all today, I'd be swimming in ice cream. Alas, that will have to wait until tomorrow.

June 9, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • The Witty One@Evil Grin

Watch out for Evil Shrinkage when swimming in ice cream!

June 9, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  23. Old Timer

The other trick was to eat the ice cream cone fast enough before
    the cone itself started getting soggy and starting to leak,we kids in
    New York City seemed to have been born with timing the melting
    ice cream steering it's way to the bottom of the cone , just right .

June 9, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  24. alr

Just enjoyed my personal favorite, chocolate raspberry truffle cone while my dog was treated to a doggy sundae, a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a dog treat.

June 9, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • Anna

at 9:45 in the morning?

June 9, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  25. Mildred

Cups mean that you don't loose any of the ice cream. If you want the cone, it can go on top!

June 9, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Sean

You must have no ice cream eating skills.. I can eat a cone with 3 scoops and not loose a drop.

June 9, 2011 at 10:17 am |
      • Dean

That just means you are a pig, not that you have ice cream skills.

June 9, 2011 at 10:30 am |
      • dennis

Pig, or decadence? I'll torture you with every lick. Was that good? Not as good as the next one, or this one. Mmmmmm, want some, nope, you have kooties. You wish. Ha ha ha, you wish you had an ice cream cone as big as mine now. That's what you get for spending your allowance on gum.

June 9, 2011 at 11:26 am |
      • Hydra@Dean

It means Sean doesn't have any ability to use his tongue effectively.

June 9, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Mare@Mildred

I agree – Cup. Then I can savor it, and not worry about an improper pack, and having the ice cream fall off the cone, or dripping down to my elbow.

June 9, 2011 at 10:40 am |
      • kallen

alr- Ice Cream is super bad for dogs. It ruins their livers.. just to let you know. My grandpas dog died because he gave it too much ice cream.

June 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
      • Mare@Kallen

You are partially correct. All dairy is not good for dogs, They can't digest the lactic acid found in dairy, and it builds up in their system. And you should never give a dog chocolate. That will kill them as well.

That being said, don't freak out if Rover gets a bit of ice cream once in a while. :)

June 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  26. Jerv

Too cool.

June 9, 2011 at 8:54 am |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,297 other followers