5@5 - Paolo Novello, Bryan Burnett and Aaron von Rock
June 8th, 2011

Unless you're living under a severely air-conditioned rock, you may have noticed summer has recently made the executive decision to go from zero to full throttle.

As the masses sweat in places we'd rather not know sweat could permeate from, it's easy for our minds to linger to breezy coasts and ice-cold beverages.

As a cool reprieve, the wine team from New York City's Lincoln Ristorante - General Manager Paolo Novello, Sommelier Bryan Burnett and Wine Director Aaron von Rock - has come up with a list of the essential Italian spirits and cold cocktails to make with them at home.

With a little imagination, you'll be living la thirst-quenched dolce vita on the coast of Amalfi in no time.

Five Essential Italian Spirits: The Lincoln Beverage Team

1. Punt e Mes Sweet Vermouth
"There is a stirring resurgence in quality vermouths, and this classic is one of our favorites for a more vinous, serious mixer.

Even the label heralds you into an Italian sense of mind. Of course, it can be vital ingredient for popular cocktails like a Manhattan, and it’s also delicious by itself on the rocks. We like to put an American twist on the classic Negroni for our cocktail recommendation."

3/4 oz Bluecoat American Gin
3/4 oz Campari Aperitivo
3/4 oz Punt e Mes

Pour spirits in a glass shaker full of ice. Stir for fifteen seconds (40 stirs), and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange twist.

2. Amaretto Di Saschira Luxardo
"Paolo reminded us just how flexible amaretto (an almond-flavoured liqueur) can be. For desserts, in your espresso, over ice cream (or all three!) It is a truly common ingredient in Italian home bars that makes an easy transition to an American staple. A little amaretto goes a long way.

Try this Bellini recipe for a surprisingly transformed prosecco cocktail."

1/2 oz Amaretto di Saschira Luxardo
1 oz Peach Purée
Dash of Fee Brothers Peach bitters

Place ingredients into a champagne flute, top with prosecco.

3. Il Maraschino Originale Luxardo
"As high-end cocktail bars continue to gain popularity, no self-respecting mixologist would be without this long-secreted liquore. It is a clever touch to a few notable cocktails, in particular the Aviation.

Our version is named after one of Italy’s most famous Aviators, Francesco de Pinedo."

2 oz Hayman’s Old Tom Gin
1/2 oz Il Maraschino Liquore
1/8 oz Crème de Violette
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

Shaken vigorously and double-strained into a cocktail glass with a lemon twist garnish. The result should take on a smoky quartz appearance.

4. Vergano Chinato Americano
"For fans of Campari, this new Piemonte variation is even more like a cocktail in a bottle, with high quality organic ingredients. The yearly release is trumpeted to the dedicated converts, so consumers must act quickly to capture their allocations.

We left this recipe quite simple, for lazier summer afternoons."

Vergano Fizz
2 oz Vergano Chinato Americano

Poured into a tall Collins glass filled with ice, top with prosecco and garnish with an orange wheel.

5. Averna Amaro Siciliano
"The Old World is full of potables that serve as digestivos, beverages that facilitate digestion. Amari, which include stems roots and seeds in the recipes, can remind many new imbibers of cough syrup (there’s actually a very good reason for this).

Bryan talked about encouraging a leap of faith for this spirit, Europeans have been enjoying them for centuries. If you’d still like to ease into this concept, this cocktail is a gentler introduction."

Tramanto al Sud
3/4 oz Nonino Quintessentia Amaro (an easier Amaro for beginners)
3/4 oz Campari Aperitivo
3/4 oz Blanton’s Bourbon
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

Shake vigorously and double-strain into a cocktail glass. No garnish necessary, the colors come together like a sunset on the Amalfi Coast.

Editors' Note: The particular brands suggested are preferences of Paolo, Bryan and Aaron, but feel free to substitute and experiment with your favorites at home.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Cocktail Recipes • Sip • Spirits • Think

1. r

Gin and tonic. Super refreshing and super easy to make. Best summer drink ever. Just don't order it unless it will be brought immediately to you or you'll lose that fizz.

June 10, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  2. Carnie Vore@The Second Most Interesting Man in the World

Stay thirsty, mi amigo.

June 9, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  3. The Second Most Interesting Man in the World

I don't always drink beer on a hot summer's day, but when I do, I drink Tecate.

June 9, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  4. Carnie Vore

Glass. Ice. Bombay Sapphire Gin. Tonic Water. Fresh lime.

That's all you need on a hot summer's day.

June 9, 2011 at 6:26 am |
    • slupdawg

Sounds right, but make mine Tanqueray. There is no substitute.

June 9, 2011 at 7:29 am |
      • Jerv

Yeah! I second that!

June 9, 2011 at 7:42 am |
  5. Italian in USA

of all the various "Italian summer drinks" you could review, the most obscure drinks and ingredients were chosen. Where in the world do you get Punt e Mes??? And I live in the NYC area. Stick with a Campari on ice with twist of lemmon and forget these "bogus" drink recipes.

June 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Loungerati

Further the Tramanto al Sud is really a rip off of Sam Ross' Paperplane (3/4 oz each Eligjah Craig Bourbon, Aperol, Nonino Amaro, lemon)..come on now.

June 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Loungerati

You do realize that there is NO Averna in the Tramanto al Sud recipe. You should highlight Nonino Amaro instead, yeah?

June 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Thoth-Amon

I'll take a Zombie over any of these any day. Keep 'em coming until I turn into one. ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

June 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  9. PAUL

Real classy CNN, writing articles that are basically product placements.

June 8, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
  10. jim

Jack & Coke & Ice. Smiles. Laughter. Naked swimming with a blond and redhead. Sex. Morning, Oh God the morning, what was her/their names? Where's my wallet, who's donkey is in my dog kennel and why are the police looking for me?
    Next time its just Coke & Ice. Unless someone else brings the Jack Daniels.

June 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  11. Blessed Geek

I don't even know the difference between brandy and champagne. BTW, what is the difference between beer and ale? What makes rum, rum? Is apple cider a kind of rum, technically?

The only liquor I frequently can afford to enjoy is liquorice. Though, I do love liquorized chocolate and ice-cream. Hey dummy me, liquorice is not liquorized candy. OK, OK, the only liquor I like is apple cider. People who invented beers and ales are masochists – why torture yourself with such dastardly assault to your palate? How could anybody enjoy such horrid tastes? People who invented wine, brandy, champagne and other what-nots were manic depressed. How do you even drink such offensive concoctions, unless you are depressed?

OTH, apple cider sometimes with some lemonade is smooth and relaxing. Oh, you don't know what apple cider is? It was the barrels of liquor the American rebels took home after the they threw all the tea over-board in Boston. Tea-partying is simply a superficial movement. Because real work and planning of the American Revolution was done at apple cider parties not tea-parties.

June 8, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  12. Nico

Sambucca. Done.

June 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  13. JERSEYTOMATO

The best drink is tomato juice from fresh jersey tomatoes! Only in the garden state, that's jersey fresh.

June 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  14. Dan

I guess the brand names are really necessary to complete these recipes. So conviving to try to market to CNN readers in this way. Just deliberate advertising hidden in a fluff piece.

June 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  15. Sy2502

A God fearing Muslim Woman you know what else is really bad for you in hot weather? Going around covered from head to toe like your religion tells you to.

June 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

Really? I wouldn't have known.

Did you know that 10 out of 10 ignorant people are ignorant? I can state the obvious as well.

June 8, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
      • Ignorance is your specialty

Which number are you?

June 8, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
      • Sy2502

Of course you wouldn't have know, because you are one of those 10!
        Much of the body's heat is lost though the head. Cover the head with a dark sack cloth and guess what that does.
        You know, if you don't want to drink alcohol to appease your imaginary god that's fine, but appealing to invented "medical and scientific" reasons is laughable. You are not in the Middle East any more, people here learn to read and go to school and can't be swindled as easily as your Muslim brothers and sisters (especially sisters, since they apparently get killed or have acid thrown on their face for learning to read)

June 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  16. american

What about american drinks. im sick of all this hoo haa europen stuff im from America and i want respect

June 8, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

Grab a six pack or some jack daniels and coke and there is your American drink.

June 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
      • God fearing atheist

...bi tch...may a horde of pigs crap on your grave..

June 9, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  17. AleeD

I'm 'bout to go git me uh Woodchuck outta da fridge. It's just been one of those days inthe WCF.

June 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  18. Aaron

No job, Weinergate, Fires everywhere, Nothing selling on eBay cause everybody is broke, Lost all my investments. YES, LET'S GET DRUNK ! But send over Brook Baldwin first, so we can drink Mass Quantities and have CRAZY SEX!!!

June 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Jeff

I'm partying with you, dude!

June 9, 2011 at 7:38 am |
  19. JBJingles@Jimmy Crackercorn

Please see my comment above. I don't believe anyone said take a drink and go lay in the sun, duh!

June 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  20. Mighty7

I'll stick to Sangria.

June 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  21. Jimmy Crackercorn

Even idiots know alcohol is the LAST thing you should drink when its hot out

June 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

DING DING DING!

June 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
      • jim

Bat Bat Bat

June 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
      • MalaDee@jim

HA! HA! HA!

June 9, 2011 at 7:15 am |
    • cracker

And that's the first thing I do on a hot summer day. something healthy, one or two bloody marys before I get out and work my tan. Bubbly or a good brew with both brunch and lunch before my workout. Bourbon and sweet tea thru supper while I'm working and then dinner time, its what ever can fit in the blender. All the food groups from the old fashion (I'll have one of those too) USDA recommended food groups that includes my favorite, alcohol.

June 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • ciarri

If you drink in excess, yeah. but they also didn't say, "go sit out in 115 degree weather," either. a yummy spirited drink in the summer is NOT gonna dehydrate you to excess. have a glass of water and chill out, would ya?

June 8, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
  22. Tracey D. Sims

I wouldn't drink ANY of these. I'll take a Hard Luck Vodka Sparkling Lemon Drop, please!

June 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  23. A God fearing Muslim Woman!

Sure, let's get people INTOXICATED while it is hot outside!

June 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • JBJingles@A God fearubg Muslim Woman!

No it's called moderation. A nice cool drink (inside), while it is unseasonably warm outside. Have a nice day.

June 8, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
      • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

Even with moderation, alcohol dehydrates you. Heat combined with dehydration can equal death.

Please try again, I am simply pointing out the flaw of this "ad"icle.

June 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • JBJingles@A God fearing Muslim Woman!

I have air conditioning, thanks.

June 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
      • A God fearing Muslim Woman!@Shouldn't it be Allah-Fearing?

What is air conditioning?

June 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • ciarri

the article doesn't say that in order to drink these drinks you need to sit out in the sun at 12pm with no shade or anything. chill out, @God-fearing

June 8, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • majid

Keep yourself in your mooslim wraps and we'll call you a pig in a blanket.
      shut up, go back to the kitchen woman and bake me a pie.

June 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
      • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

I find that extremely sexist!

June 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
      • Shouldn't it be Allah-Fearing?@A God fearing Muslim Woman!

DING DING DING!

Doesn't your religion have tolerance or knowledge of sarcasm?

June 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
      • A God fearing Muslim Woman!@Shouldn't it be Allah-Fearing?

I'm sorry this flew over your head!

June 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
      • What's sauce for the goose

@The Muslim Woman: Do y'all get 72 virgins when you kick the bucket during jihad or is it just the men?

June 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • Intoxication for the unwashed

A couple of drinks doesn't spell intoxication. I guess you wouldn't have a lot of experience with that since alcohol is a no-no for your religion, unless of course, you're sick. Are you sick a lot or do you just pretend to be? You might be a pro after all.

June 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • jim

Wow. i feel sorry for you that you can't just have ONE delicious cold drink with friends.

June 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
  24. Erv

Could do with a little more of a definition on some of these.

June 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • A God fearing Muslim Woman!

Poor tons of liquour into a glass and drink 'em down!

June 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • dalis

Which ones? I can tell you.

June 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  25. Shirley U Jest

Meh, I was going to say why ruin a good martini but Campari Aperitivo could be a nice summery twist; A dirty sour fruity martini. Don't bruise it, 40 times? I'd try Blluecoat but I spent many years choosing my favorites. Gin is an alcoholic herb tea and to each his own. But vermouth, talk vermouth and you are in wine country. I am going to find me a bottle of that I-talian stuff. Yeah, buddy. Pass me a tiny umbrella.

June 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  26. JBJingles

I'll take a #2 please, that looks very yummy!

June 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,312 other followers