5@5 - Amy Gjerde
June 1st, 2011

We've said it once, we'll say it again: "Celiac? To heck with that!"

Don't get us wrong - we think a nice, crusty baguette is pretty groovy in its own right, but just because you're gluten-free (gluten is the group of natural proteins found in all forms of wheat and wheat flour) doesn't mean your life has gone to hell in a breadbasket.

Amy Gjerde is the co-owner of Woodberry Kitchen with Spike Gjerde - who just so happens to be the executive chef and, as the last name might have denoted, her husband.

Amy also has Celiac disease, but that's not stopping her from living the good - and delicious - life.

Five Places You Won't Miss The Gluten: Amy Gjerde

1. Gluten-free pasta is really good
"There are a number of varieties available with different combinations of 'flour' or starch. Some of those with the best texture are made with rice and corn flour.

Eating a large bowl of gluten-free linguine with marinara sauce may have you longing for a bowl of homemade semolina pasta, but gluten-free noodles stirred into a brothy spring vegetable soup are fantastic and most people will hardly know the difference.

2. Cornbread
"We make the most delicious naturally gluten-free cornbread at Woodberry Kitchen. We bake it daily in cast iron and serve it with local Trickling Springs butter and Five Seed Farms honey.

Our intention was not to make it for gluten-free diners, but rather to make the best cornbread with Anson Mills stone ground corn meal, and the best turned out to be flour free."

3. Gravy and dips
"Arrowroot and cornstarch are natural substitutes for flour to thicken gravies and sauces. They also lend thicker preparations, like crab dip, a nice consistency, and are the key to a delicious butterscotch pudding.

This is a pretty well known substitution for most home cooks and bakers, but nevertheless it often gets overlooked in restaurant recipes."

4. Avoid processed foods
"This isn’t really a recipe substitution but rather a lifestyle change. Gluten shows up in all kinds of processed foods, often in items that if made at home would never include flour.

Flavored potato chips, prepackaged dinner 'helpers', and even some ice creams may contain wheat; look out for 'modified food starch'. Even without a gluten allergy or intolerance, avoiding processed foods leads to reduced fat, sodium and calorie consumption."

5. Wheat-free tamari
"Industrial scale soy sauce companies add wheat to speed up the fermentation of their soy sauce. It allows them to make more at a cheaper price. Wheat-free tamari is available in most grocery stores today. The flavor is truer and vibrant and the consistency is denser, allowing you to use less with a greater impact.

No one ever will miss the cheap red- and green-lidded varieties commonly found in sushi bars and home pantries if traded in for the real deal."

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Bite • Dietary Restrictions • Gluten-free • Think

1. JingleBells

I don't know about "rice pasta", but why not try Asian style rice noodle dishes! Like Phat Tai, Vietnamese pho, Chinese style fried rice noodles with beef. You don't have to limit yourselves, try foods from other different countries that don't use gluten in their cuisine. There are so many!! Not only that!!! People forget that noodles are invented by the Asians, so we are expert noodle makers and eaters. Thousands of years before Marco Polo brought it over to Italy!!!

And then there are hundreds of Asian deserts that do not contain gluten at all, like tapioca in coconut milk, bean type desserts mixed with coconut milk, palm sugar (unprocessed raw sugar), and agar (jello friendly for vegans), sticky rice desserts (ex: sticky coconut rice with mango slices), rice pudding.

I am gluten intolerant and though I do miss my bread and butter, I don't feel I am missing much. I am lucky I have been exposed to many foods and have a diverse palate from a young age.

Life is too short to criticize about intolerance this or that, just accept and live on. Make friends, live, eat, and make love with the one you love!

June 4, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  2. Mayo

Dairy-free today
    Wheat-free tamari

June 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  3. Happy

Modified food starch is ok UNLESS it says it's made from wheat ... wheat MUST be written on the lable either right after modified food starch or in a list of allergens at the bottom of the ingredient list because the "new" FDA laws.
    http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#modifiedfood I was never so happy as to hear this, as TONS of stuff have modified food starch in them! =)

June 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • Shirley U Jest

Modified food starch is okay unless its from wheat??!!!! Modified food starch is the essence of starch and its broken down so much a scientist couldn't say what grain its from.

June 1, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • bigben

Yep. Gluten is the protein part, but why let facts and science ruin a good panic?

June 2, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  4. Mick

Gluten sensitivity is a very real and very serious thing. But it's also very rare. If you don't have a gluten sensitive condition and are still buying into this gluten-free fad, you're getting hosed. Here's a very good overview:

skeptoidDOTcom/episodes/4239
    (replace DOT with the real thing)

June 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • Steph

Robb Wolf responds:
      robbwolfDOTcom/2011/01/12/hey-robb-this-person-said-gluten-free-diets-are-bogus

(Same deal: replace DOT with the real thing.)

June 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • gluteus maximus

Gluten free? Peanut free? Go eat a pine tree and quit bothering the world with your Darwinist problems.

June 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
      • Mayo

But Pine trees are Endangered and we must save them! If they were extincted, where would we get our pine nuts from for our pesto?

June 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  5. bigben

Corn tortillas are a great replacement for bread whether you have an issue with gluten or not.

June 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Pepito

I only wipe my ass with true flour tortillas. If you find them,that is not refried beans.

June 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
      • papoopusa

Nah man, there are times when nothing can beat a corn tortilla, flour ones don't have half their strength.

June 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  6. guy

will people who do not have cilacs disease shut up about things being gluten free or not

if you don't have the damn disease its not bad for you so stop going around saying "I eat gluten free foods" it is espcially annoying when you do it with foods that don't have wheat at all

June 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  7. bigben

4. Avoid processed foods
    Unless the processing is to remove the naturally occurring gluten, then it's a miracle and will save the world. To remove gluten/protein from grains, a lot of processing is required.

June 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  8. Adam

If you are lucky enough to live in the metro new york area you can go to Fairway Market. There Gluten Free section is by far the best I have seen.

June 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • papoopusa

Vegans don't even like hanging around there.

June 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Steve

As far as pasta is concerned, there's a few Rice pastas that are made in Italy. Super good! There's some others on the market some from the States, and its super starch and tastes gross. Try the stuff from Italy. Its much close in taste and texture.

I've read of people making fresh tapioca noodles – tapioca flour and use a pasta press maker to make the noodles. Tapioca doesn't have much nutritional value at least compared to real wheat pasta (most of the GF stuff doesn't either).

Anyone reading this make their own pasta? I'm desparate for Ramen noodles!!!

June 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  10. Gerald

I am surprised that none of you (or the article) mentioned Oat products. Oats are absolutely gluten free, unless contaminated by wheat, and there are manufacturers that produce certified gluten free oat products.
    One of them is Gluten Free Oats, http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/ a small producer out of Powell Wyoming, and their web site has great recipes for oat based bake products.

June 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Love Tamari

Oats can be a problem. While oats that are uncontaminated are gluten free, they do have a protein in them that is quite similar to gluten. A small portion of Celiacs also react badly to that protein, and so cannot eat oats.
      Many doctors recommend avoiding gluten free oats for a long time after going gluten free and then eating a small amount to test for impact on the body. Our own doctor has recommended that my husband avoid gluten free oat products altogether. As he put it "you are doing so well on the gluten free diet. Why ruin it?"

June 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  11. Joseph

Everyone I meat, especially dieticians think they have an answer for what Foods I should eat because many in my Family are Celiac, but I not only cannot Eat Wheat, Rye, or Barley which all have Beta-Glucans that cause my Immune System to raise the ANA Level, I cannot Eat Cornstarch or Beta-Glucan Yeast especially if it says Gluten Free, or Sugar Alcohols of Higher Fructose than Glucose Ratio Foods.Replace the DOT with a Period for an Internet Like to what is happening with Beta-Glucans in Inert Ingredients of Medications that may be the cause of Celiac disorders tinyurlDOTcom/3mpr5o4

June 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  12. CR

Wow!
    Most of these negative comments sound like a big bitch-n-moan match for those who don't understand or like gluten-free foods. If you don't like the taste of gluten-free foods, then don't eat gluten-free foods. Or if you don't want to try gluten-free foods then don't try eating any gluten-free foods. It's as simple as that!

I enjoyed this article, thanks.

June 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  13. brian

TINKYADA Pasta is the best. Like others have said, UDI's bread is great.

not a bad little blurb, but being G-F isn't always easy and will be expensive if you can't let go of bread and baked goods.
    I splurge on some Udi's around various holidays but that's about it. Desserts are infrequent.
    Having said that, never felt better since going G-F.

June 1, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  14. My wife can't cook but you should see her box

Butter that bread, take out your ham, slap on some jam, stick it in... the toaster

June 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • papoopusa

Oh yeah, how about some shake'n bake!

June 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  15. foodie

After spending 3 years trying every gluten free bread on the market and disliking all of them, I finally found a bread that is yummy...it's called Udi's...either whole grain or white. I buy it by the case at my health food store. You can go on line and order it. They have many other gluten free products as well. As for pasta, I like the Thi rice noodles.

June 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • papoopusa

remind me not to eat at your house.

June 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  16. WenD

I'm surprised they didn't mention GF pizza crust. Venice Bakery's GF crusts are my favorite - even better than regular pizza crust. Order them in bulk at their website and freeze them: http://www.venicebakery.com.

June 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  17. Lorelei

POD, You are intolerant. You should be more tolerant of people with food intolerances. I'm intolerant to gluten and to people who don't try to be understanding of others.

June 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  18. foodie

my comment about about shutting up was for POD.

June 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  19. Louisa

I'm sympathetic to people who have celiac disease, but encouraging people to falsely believe that gluten-free is healthier in itself is annoying. The average moron who gets on the gluten-free train won't accomplish anything but spending more money on crappier tasting and less nutritious food.

June 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  20. POD

I really don't care who is gluten intolerant or lactose intolerant or peanut intolerant.......that is their business.....why are they boring me with their 'intolerances'

June 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Marie

Why did you read this article and bother to comment on it?

June 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • T3chsupport

Why are you boring me with you comment about being bored?

June 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • No Quarter@POD

I am intolerant of your intolerance.

What does POD stand for? Pathetic On-line Diatribe?

June 2, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  21. woohoo

Glenda, not trying to disappoint you in advanced, but gluten-free breads suck. They have all the flavor and texture of a kitchen sponge, and I've tried all the commercially available ones. GF Cornbread can be good and so can GF brownies, my theory being that in the normal recipes for those two items, little wheat flour is used anyway.

Gluten-free pasta isn't "really good', either. That's like saying sugar-free cake is really good. It might be edible, but you still KNOW it's not the real thing because it doesn't taste like the 'real thing'.

June 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Ian

I actually have found a couple of really good gluten free breads. For sandwich breads, Rudi's is excellent. And that's Rudi's not Udi's (Udi's is awful). Rudi's is an organic bread maker out of Colorado that started making a gluten free bread when it was getting requests, so instead of being a gluten free product maker, they're a bread maker developing a gluten free bread to meet their standards. It only needs to be very lightly toasted and it tastes very close to the real thing.

On the other end, Against the Grain makes some really good rolls and baguettes, although they don't aim to make it similar to the original. The insides are much lighter and airier, it looks kind of like a heavy croissant on the inside and tastes like an egg bread. It does definitely have an egg taste to it, but if you like that it's good to use for a dinner roll. My wife, who does not have celiacs, stopped getting separate normal baguettes to have with dinners after we found these.

June 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

My wife likes the Against the grain bagettes. She also recently discovered the ener-g dinner rolls whilst visiting disney world.

June 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  22. OJ

Hello,
    How do you find if you are Gluten intolerant?

June 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Andrea

there are a couple of different ways to diagnose Celiacs Disease, one is a Blood Test the other a scope and biopsy. And I have been told that it can be passed on to your Children, as well as that ppl with Celiacs also often are lactose intolerant!

June 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
      • papoopusa

so, unless if you haven't had these tests you would not know? There is a new pill to fix this called equineglueit

June 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
    • Jonathan

If you have just an allergy (not celiac), then an allergist can do a skin test to see if there's a reaction. Food allergies are more difficult to detect than environmental allergies though, so a result isn't necessarily a guarantee either positive or negative. And it can't detect an intolerance. So the best way to test is trial and error. Cut out gluten-based foods for a while, see if you feel better. Start adding gluten-based foods back in, and see if you feel worse. I don't know the symptoms of celiac disease, but an intolerance will typically result in digestive problems – nausea, gas, pain, diarrhea, etc. It can also result in fatigue. I've even heard that it can contribute to mental issues like depression, so watch for things like that.

June 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  23. Ian

Um, modified food starch only contains wheat if it is noted that it contains wheat, and that's by law under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2006. Unless it denotes that it is made from wheat, modified food starch doesn't contain gluten. Just FYI, I have celiac disease. Now, I'm not super sensitive as far as celiac is concerned, and there are some people who have many processed foods cause them significant problems because of cross contamination. For example, Snickers don't have gluten in them, but are made in the same facilities as Milky Ways, which do contain gluten. This can lead to cross contamination and some people with Celiac disease will have a reaction if they are more sensitive to the protein than I am.

But, just on the modified food starch count, if it doesn't say that it contains wheat, the modified food starch is made from something else (typically corn).

June 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  24. Debbie

I wish she would give the recipe for the corn bread.

June 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • TheRealDeal

Here's the "secret" to any good corn bread or cake like recipe: honey. Use honey instead of sugar and even for recipes that don't require sugar, I still put in honey in. Always comes out way better.

June 2, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  25. Truthbetold

Ah, gluten intolerance. The new health fad for the pretentious. Jeeves, please pass the gluten free soy sauce. Give me a break.

June 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • T3chsupport

Just because the hypochondriacs jump onto a particular disease bandwagon doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people who actually have the disease.

June 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Ian

Anyone who is going gluten free because they thing it is better for them if they don't have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance is either ignorant or a little crazy (and I say this as someone who has Celiac). The gluten free substitutes for most items have significantly more calories than their normal counterparts, because a lot of butter is often relied upon to make them taste good.

With that said, while their is some significant debate regarding the idea of "gluten intolerance" and whether that is real or a placebo effect, Celiac Disease is a definitely real condition. I fought kicking and screaming to not go on a gluten free diet until I saw the results of a bone density test that essentially said I had the bone density of someone 40 years older than me. After being on the diet for a year my bone density is in the strongly normal range for my age and sex.

June 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
      • Jonathan

I can say 100% that gluten intolerance is a real thing. I have eaten things that I didn't know had wheat in them, and quickly found out that they did in very unpleasant ways (see below).

June 1, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Jonathan

Trust me, it's a real, and very unpleasant situation. Gluten intolerance is an inability to digest gluten. Since you can't digest it, there are only two places for it to go – up or down. Obviously, food coming back up is bad. But undigested food going down is equally as bad. Since it hasn't been broken down enough, it's a large mass trying to pass through your intestines. In addition, bacteria in your intestines will break down some of it, which is bad because they produce gasses as a byproduct.

I once had some licorice before realizing that it was made with wheat. The results are best described as swallowing a medieval mace (the big steel ball with spikes coming off of it) doused with syrup of Ipecac (the stuff they give you if you've had poison to make you vomit). In short, not good.

Then of course, there are those that are actually allergic to gluten. That's a whole different animal, where the immune system will treat it as an invading organism and respond. The results can be potentially deadly.

So, the next time you feel the need to ridicule something, you might want to find out a little about it first.

June 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
      • Ian

Jonathan, were you ever tested for Celiac Disease?

June 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
      • Jonathan

I was tested for allergies. A naturepath found a sensitivity to gluten, but an allergist didn't find any actual allergy. But I don't think I've been specifically tested for Celiac. I'm inclined to think it's not, since I can have some wheat, to a point. I can eat a slice of pizza without any ill effects. Two slices are ok. Three slices brings on the pain.

June 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
      • bigben

So the hippy found something that the real doctor didn't? Go figure.

June 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
      • Ian

Jonathan, I'd strongly suggest you get tested for Celiac. I literally had no digestive tract symptoms. No nausea, no diarrhea, no constipation, no vomiting, but I still have Celiac Disease and it could have played long term havoc with my health. The long term effects of Celiac Disease are real nasty, from early onset osteoporosis to esophageal cancer. The initial test is really simple: they'll give you a blood test to see if certain antibodies are high. If they are, or they aren't and they think your problems are consistent with Celiac, they'll confirm with an endoscopy.

June 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • foodie

Unless you know what your talking about, which you don't, then shut up.

June 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
      • Mr. Glutarded

Im with you

June 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Marie

This only shows that you do not know anyone with Celiac. IT SUCKS!
      It also shows that you've never tried any of the gluten-free food on the market. Despite what this article says – most of it is nasty. Why would anyone put themselves through that? Having Celiac is not the latest fad. It's real and you'd better hope you're never diagnosed with it.

June 1, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • TheRealDeal

While I have no doubt that some use the "gluten free diet" as a means for weight control, there are millions of us who'd be glad to continue eating wheat products if we could. I haven’t been to a fast-food place in over a year (which is not a bad thing), but the convenience factor is a definite plus when traveling. Now days I pack food for any trip I go on. I have a gluten intolerance (diagnosed at 47) and let me tell you, my two favorite foods used to be, pizza and spaghetti. These days that’s no longer the case. The rice pasta tastes like cardboard and is more disgusting that I can say here. The corn is slightly better, but still pretty gross. Let’s say when I do have spaghetti, it’s mostly sauce. As for pizza, forget it. What a huge disappointment to “make” one and end up scraping off the topping and tossing the “crust”. I’ve tried all kinds too, so it’s not like I tried one and that was it. I’ve bought “dough”, ready to bake crusts and actual frozen gluten free pizzas. It’s all crap. A bright side is that I now eat a mostly Mexican diet of foods as most of the stuff is very favorable and made with corn, so that is a plus.

June 1, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
      • Ian

I don't know where you live, and if you're surrounded by just Pizza Huts, Dominos and Papa Johns for pizza it would be very hard to find, but I know for certain that there are some quite good gluten free pizzas in Chicago. Chicago's Pizza, Marcello's, and Wildfire, off the top of my head. Lou Malnati's has a gluten free pizza, but just beware in case you don't eat pork that they just use sausage instead.

June 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
      • Jonathan

I don't find the pasta to be too bad. I like the corn-quinoa blend. The pizza crust is a pain though. The only good one I've found is Namaste mix. I add in baking powder and egg whites to the mix. Forget about the fancy toss-the-dough-in-the-air trick: the resulting dough has the consistency of warm frosting. But, after it's cooked, you get a very good, chewy crust that doesn't have any of the grittiness that so many GF foods have. I don't have exact amounts, but I usually substitute half the water they call for with egg whites (mixing them together, and adding it in slowly because I find I don't need the whole amount they call for), and add in a soup-spoon full of baking powder.

June 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
      • Chia

Try going online and google "gluten free" and the name of you metro area, or the one you are visiting. There may be a listing posted. We have a lot of restaurants in the SE Penna. and S. NJ area that will have gluten free menu or large number of gluten free selections and will take care that there is not cross contamination. And some of the best are Latin American. Aso some chains are now doing this. Maggiano's, Boston Seafood, Bonefish Grill and Pizzaria Uno come to mind.

June 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
      • JingleBells

I dont know about "rice pasta", rice noodles are great. Have you tried phat Tai, Vietnamese phó, Chinese fried rice noodles w/ beef???? Don't be so short sighted, try foods from other countries

June 4, 2011 at 9:39 am |
      • JingleBells

I don't know about "rice pasta", but why not try Asian style rice noodle dishes! Like Phat Tai, Vietnamese pho, Chinese style fried rice noodles with beef. You don't have to limit yourselves, try foods from other different countries that don't require gluten. There are so many!! Not only that!!! People forget that noodles are invented by the Asians, so we are expert noodle makers and eaters. Thousands of years before Marco Polo brought it over to Italy!!!

June 4, 2011 at 10:36 am |
      • Slappy McDonger-Irish Pimp

Is there an Echo,Echo,Echo in here?

June 4, 2011 at 10:41 am |
    • foodie

Truthbetold, Get a life.

June 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Chia

Truthbetold, are you a troll? If not, then please grow up and learn not to comment on things you obviously know nothing about.

June 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Gluten free dad and husband

Truthbetold – While I agree that there are a number of folks that have jumped on the GF bandwagon, I think you are way off the mark. The latest estimate of people with gluten intolerance is close to 10% of the population (all forms of gluten intolerance). Based on testing, approximately 1% of the population has celiac, which is similar to gluten intolerance on steroids. A small percent of celiacs (about 0.1% of those with celiac if I remember correctly) actually can have a life threatening reaction. The impacts of gluten in food even to those that have gluten intolerance can have major long-term health impacts including stomach and intestinal cancer, bone loss, hypothyroid and hyperthyroid issues just to name a few. My wife and oldest son both have been diagnosed with celiac even though the standard test did not show the presence of a specific protein, we had to do genetic testing to get the diagnosis. To this day, most medical doctors will still miss the diagnosis, although it is getting better just in the last 8 years since my wife and son were diagnosed. Nutrition therapists tend to be better at diagnosis for this, but in our experience have missed the mark on getting the real information to the patient.

All in all, I understand your skepticism, however, my wife and son have had to deal with jerks in restaurants that have the same attitude as yours and they will get sick because some idiot decided it would be funny to place a piece of bread on their food while it was in the kitchen and remove it before it went out the door, thinking the gluten free request was just because of a "latest health craze".

June 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • MalaDee@Truthbetold & Attackers

Truthbetold posted, "... The new health fad for the pretentious ...." I completely agree. Those of you who jumped down his/her throat and got all nasty & defensive need to pay closer attention to what's being posted – unless you ARE, in fact, pretentious. HA!

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
      • Gluten free dad and husband

I believe the comments are directed more at Truthbetold's attitude and the comment "The new health fad...". Anyone with true gluten intolerance knows that for them, this is not a fad. Many of them have to deal with family members that will "sneak" gluten into their food to show that it really does not affect them, or practice sloppy food handling as it is "just a fad". When my son got his test results back he was overjoyed because he had an answer to why he had been getting so sick. He also understood the full impact of the diagnosis: when he went to birthday parties, he would not get cake, when the school had pizza parties, cupcakes, cookies, he would not get to eat any. He understood the social impacts of his diagnosis. What he did not expect is that his grandparents (on the side of the family that carries the Celiac trait) would keep trying to sneak small amounts of wheat into his food to prove that this was just a "fad". Oh, his grandmother (who refuses to admit that this is anything more than a fad) has chronic halitosis, diabetes, osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis – her daughter has the Celiac diagnosis as well as her uncle. Too bad she does not buy into the "fad" (at the risk of sounding pretentious, those are all symptoms of Celiac).

June 2, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  26. Tim

check out Healthy Creations for Gluten Free and Totally Delicious Bread and Baked Goods

June 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  27. Glenda

Modified corn starch. That's a sneaky one. Here's a good balanced article on this. http://alifelesssweet.blogspot.com/2009/05/because-you-askedmodified-food-starch.html

June 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  28. Glenda

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I can't eat bread anymore consistently. I can eat it for one day but not on a regular basis. After 3 days eating even multigrain bread may face breaks out, constipated, stomach pains. and I feel very tired. Mind you I love the taste of bread. I'll give gluten free breads a try!

June 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • laurab68

Ah Glenda,

Sounds like the beginning of gluten intolerance. That's how it was with me. I love bread too, but the stomach cramps, the feeling wiped out and the rushing to the bathroom for #2 within a half an hour of eating it was enough of a signal that it was time to say goodbye.
      I also had weight gain that I couldn't explain. I eat rediculously healthy, but it wouldn't stop. Cutting out bread was one, but I started with Herbal Magic and I'm now in one month down 11 lbs. It teaches you to eat healthy and unprocessed, and the results are amazing.
      Try eating nothing preprocessed. It takes some work, but the stomach cramps should go away.

June 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Steph

You should give a paleo diet a try. You'd probably benefit from it.

As someone who loves baking, I've been challenged by having to work without gluten. It's worth it for my health; I'm not celiac, but since quitting grains I've noticed huge changes in my well-being and health. So while I miss that crusty loaf and bowl of pasta, I do not miss the constant hunger, grogginess, or other unfortunate side-effects of grain consumption.

June 1, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  29. mike

Eat more meat.

June 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  30. Cole

I can agree with 2 and 5, but the others seem rather shortsighted.

Saying gluten-free pasta is really good (they're not; ditto for whole-wheat) and essentially following that up with a "but," by bringing up linguine, essentially kills the point. Don't really see much point in using expensive gluten-free pasta in soups when a rice combo can be used instead. Why use fake/expensive something when real something-else can be better?

What goes with gravy? A biscuit, of course. It's really reaching to bring up a condiment, especially those that are known to pair well with gluten foods.

Cooked food is "processed" food. For that matter, just about every special gluten-free ingredient in the market has undergone heavy processing.

June 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • T3chsupport

Thank you, Captain Semantic.

Gluten free pasta can be good. I make fabulous spaghetti, and one time for a potluck, I brought some. One of our friends had Celiac, so I got him some gluten free pasta. Yeah, the texture was a little different, but it was still good. It's certainly better than nothing, which is what you'd be stuck with in such a situation if you didn't have gluten free pasta. (the gluten free rolls he made and brought with him were also great with it).

Gravy isn't just for biscuits. I hardly know anyone who makes gravy JUST for biscuits, unless it's that prepackaged crap. It goes on potatoes, meat, rice, noodles, dressings, omelets- everything! Also, if you've ever eaten common gluten free bread, some gravy is going to be mighty tasty with it. It's ridiculously easy to make gravy without flour, and it turns out no worse at all (especially for brown gravies... who uses flour for those?!).

And come on. You know what they mean by 'processing'. Now you're just going out of your way to nit-pick.

June 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • PennyNot

Surprisingly my teens actually like whole wheat pasta better than the regular. I was out of the regular for them and they wanted pasta, told them whole wheat was all I had and they tried it, now that's all they want. Try it before you dis it.

June 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Gluten Free Dad

Sir, you are full of crapola.
      My son is gluten intollerant, so we had to start buying gluten-free pastas. I've got news for you and everyone else: they ARE very good, IF you know how to cook pasta.
      There are TONS of gluten free (GF) foods now available. Indian food tends to be GF, sushi is GF, and there are several different types of flour such as manioc (tapioca) that make excellent breads, pizza crusts, you name it.
      Our whole family is now happily GF and we don't miss it.

June 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
      • Cole

Do I know how to boil water, add salt and keep a timer? Yeah, I think I can manage that. Pasta is mostly about shape and texture. That goes bye-bye with anything but regular, wonderful, durum wheat semolina.

Hey, y'all managed to fool yourselves into liking disgusting food. Good for you. Thing is, a lot of gluten-free products are a lot like "meat substitute" products. They're awful. They're not meat. They're inferior to meat. Vegetarian foods, on the other hand, can be great, because they're not trying to be substitutes for anything, rather, they feature the vegetable and let them shine.

Gluten-free food that's trying to be a gluten food is garbage. Gluten-free food that just happens to be gluten-free is good.

June 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
      • Jonathan

It's like anything, there are some good and some bad. Many of the gluten free foods on the market that are premade taste and/or have the consistency of chalk. However there are some which can be worked with some effort to be as good, if not better, than the wheat version. There's a local sandwich shop/bakery that makes gluten free rolls and pastries that I prefer to the wheat versions.

June 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
      • Mr. Glutarded

Cole, im sorry but you are grossely misinformed. As a "glutard" i have tried every single gluten free pasta out there, and yes, the majority of gluten free pasta is awfull. But not all. Quinoa pasta is JUST AS GOOD if not BETTER then regular pasta. Not only does it have the same texture and flavor as regular pasta, it is healthier for you as well. Having been to Italy twice and lived in NYC my whole life i would consider myself a pasta expert. Nothing beats a good bowl of pasta. When i found out that i was Celiac last year, the first thing i did was try every single gluten free pasta on the market. At first i thought my world was over, but once i found Quinoa pasta i realized that i could still enjoy all my favorite pasta dishes. So do some research before you start running your mouth on the internet, because all the people who actually know what they are talking about see you for what you are... ignorant.

Enjoy your evening, i think im going to go have a bowl of pasta.

June 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
    • SteveA

Amen to the "processed" comment. Consumers are just afraid of words like "processed", "modified", etc. when in reality they don't know what they mean, or how they're "processed." It's just a reaction to the media's hype. Processed food is completely safe.

June 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
      • Chia

Safe, maybe, like they don't cause food poisoning, but that is not the point. Do you acrually think there is no difference in eating high salt, high fat food and a diet of fresh food. If you are very young you may not see a difference and can live on pringles, but that does not last.

June 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
      • unowhoitsme

Ignorance is bliss!

June 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
      • bigben

A gluten free roll is "processed". Gluten is a totally naturally occurring protein that is found in "all" grains. So that gluten free roll is processed. And it has been processed a whole lot more than say corn is processed to make corn syrup.

June 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
      • Cedar Rapids

'A gluten free roll is "processed". Gluten is a totally naturally occurring protein that is found in "all" grains. So that gluten free roll is processed'
        No its not because they do not use grain flour as the base of gluten free rolls.

June 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Chia

You must not have tried very many gluten free pasta brands. A few are more like Thai pasta and don't work well in Italian food, but brown rice pasta (no it is nothing like whole wheat!) can be served in place of convetional and no one will know the difference.
      Lots of people north of the Mason-Dixon line never heard of needing biscuits for gravy.
      Sure you can buy gluten free that is processed food, but an empahasis on food cooked from scratch is healthier. Do you really not know the difference between processed foods and cooked food?

June 1, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Love Tamari

Gluten free pasta is really good, at least Tinkyada rice pasta is. I can eat gluten, so I can compare the two, and I have no problem enjoying gluten free pasta just as much as gluteny pasta. I've also served gluten free pasta to guests with no complaints.

June 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Elle Mac

I agree about the lack of taste. I could eat 'normal' foods for 20 years before I was cursed by a wheat and corn free diet. There are few gluten free pastas that are comparable to the real thing. Also for those that are arguing the mass availability of the stuff, I feel I should mention price. Yeah, they make gluten free bread, cookies and pizza, among other things, but they are usually highly processed and REALLY EXPENSIVE. For someone on a budget, it is hard to shell out $6 for bread, and $4 for a box of cookies! And its also great getting charged extra at eateries to have certain things removed from a dish due to gluten.

June 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  31. JBJingles

I've never heard of the tamari, but will give it a try even though I'm not gluten intolerant, anything with truer flavor sounds good to me. Thanks!

June 1, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • ENoonan

OMG, it's worth the change to wheat free soy sauce, much more vibrant flavor. I am moderately wheat gluten intolerant, but I love my sushi. Need soy sauce for sushi.

June 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Love Tamari

You should definitely try it. My husband was diagnosed with celiac a while ago, and after tasting his gluten-free Tamari for the first time, I chucked out the bottle of regular soy sauce that I had in my kitchen for my own use. Tamari is sooo much better!

June 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • bigben

Using only soy means it's higher in MSG. The MSG is what gives it the salty flavor.

June 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Shirley U Jest

yep REAL soy sauce has no wheat, just plain fermented soy. Check your local asian markets and find some in the cheap section for the good stuff.... less than 3 dollars a bottle...I know! The stuff I buy these days is called "Vegetarian Soya Sauce (La Bo De and if its made from vegetarians, it must be good for you) but there are others equally good. Look at the ingredients, bring glasses because its often in dang fine print. Whole soy sauce is deeper in flavor. I use it in marinades, like in my Teriyaki and other stuff. I do like the less salt version (Kikoman green works here) with my raw, sometimes crawling off the rice sushi. Oishi desi, Ii desu yo neh.

Oh yeah, I have gone through a couple bottles of Kikoman Tamari – its good, but way over priced (3 times at least) for its depth of flavor compared to the cheap stuff. It'll be more accessible in major grocery stores though.

June 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
      • Pepe from France@Shirley U Jest

You should try my "new" sauce-Poo-Poo Au Dua-a thick brown gravy sauce found in the "special" section at your favorite Dollar Store.

June 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
      • Shirley U Jest

Thanks for the tip. By your description it sounds just like bottled teriyaki sauce found in grocery stores.

June 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
      • Mark@Shirley

"(La Bo De and if its made from vegetarians, it must be good for you)" Is that a Soylent Green joke or did I misread that part of your post??

June 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
      • Shirley U Jest

@Mark Yes a Soylent Green joke, just to jab at recent grilling and BBQ threads.
        The point I was trying to make is: Why pay somewhere in the $16.00 range for Kikoman Tamari when you can buy its equivalent or better for under $5.00?

From the Wikipedia "tamari was traditionally a liquid byproduct produced during the fermentation of miso."

June 2, 2011 at 7:11 pm |