May 27th, 2011

Before I went on CNN Newsroom to discuss Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg's decision to consume only animals he'd personally slaughtered, I called chef Chris Cosentino. He's been cooking and serving food this way for most of his career, and while he believes that Zuckerberg is doing the right thing - and has a great partner in chef Jesse Cool - he's slightly baffled that such attention is being paid to a movement that's not new in the slightest.

Says Cosentino, "It's weird that it took a 27-year-old billionaire to get a spotlight shone on something chefs and grandmothers have been doing for centuries. But it's good that people are talking about it."

Read - Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg eats only what he kills

1. cynicalsidney

gaming legends tell that, when a man faces down his prey eyeball to eyeball, some quanta information is shared between the two, then reflected upon by the man, thereby learning a profound lesson on the nature of life.

that or the nutcase of the thiev fin juice.

May 31, 2011 at 4:58 am |
  2. Ninja Simms

Uggg! me take dead beast back to MAN CAVE, Me and friends eat beast raw. Then post on You Tube Grunt!!!!!!
    perfect.

May 31, 2011 at 1:48 am |
  3. Padmanabham

I grow my vegetables and eat them too!

May 30, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  4. what's the big deal?

I would kill an animal to eat and I would not be squeamish. If one lives in the city or suburbs there are rules against killing any animals except if you have the poor luck of hitting one with one's car. I agree with Davisnet – why should I do it when it's already been killed and cleaned for me? Are we supposed to feel guilty for being omnivores?

May 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  5. Davisnet

Had to answer OTHER since the answers don't match the question. I WOULD (not could) kill an animal if I had to but do not plan on it since it is so readily available at the local Supermarket. Just the same as how I do not purify my own water or refine my own natural gas...

May 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  6. minimalistmenufesto

Henry David Thoreau said in Walden that he killed his own meat but found that it was too messy. He might have meant it figurativly and literally. Nothing will make you a non-meat eater any faster, so, it's a good thing. Thomas Friedman said in his book, Hot, Flat and Crowded, that eating red meat, especially, has to go the way of the gas-guzzler and the McMansions if we Earthlings have a sustainable future.

May 30, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  7. Missy

it's so funny...the only animal i could kill for food is a human because humans are overpopulated and destroying the planet. but meat is disgusting. i do suggest that those who want to kill to eat gore, should do what is ethical and chop their own limbs off and eat them because really nobody has a right to snuff out the life of another. or easier would be to go to morgues and cemetaries and get the corpses and bodies there without any violence or killing. there is PLENTY of artery clogging protien sitting in those caskets underground not to mention, you are spared the vile act of killing an innocent. also it just seems to me that you should kill yourself and offer your meat to others. at least there is nobility in that. likewise preying on innocent defenseless animals just to eat a hamburger is cowardice in the way that a child molestor/rapist/killer is a coward.

May 30, 2011 at 1:41 am |
    • abbyful

"Life isn't Disney bull [manure] where lions, pigs, and meerkats come together and sing songs." – Penn Jillette

Your utopia doesn't exist in nature; it's fiction. For anything to live, even plants, something else must die.

Humans are omnivores; our bodies function best on a diet that includes both animal and plant sources of food.

May 30, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Ray in Vegas

You're so clueless, Missy. A wild carnivore would be more than happy to snuff out your life for food. Only in today's over protective society could someone like you manage to even SURVIVE long enough to reach adulthood and look down on the meateaters. That's a good thing, don't get me wrong. But I agree with abbyful. This isn't Disneyland ... it's the jungle baby. Eat or be eaten.

May 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  8. Spence

I personally don't kill the animals I eat. There is no reason for me to. I do not have the means, time or desire to raise the animals myself and regulate their diet to ensure certain standards, so why should I slaughter someone else's animal? I also do not desire to spend my time that way. I accept that my food may be of slightly lower quality(Believe me, there is a difference between ham and pig your buddies slaughtered that day. I accept this because of the convenience offered by mass production. I can simply walk to the store and purchase my meat of choice.
    For those who will say I can't stomach it, you are wrong. I have killed people (yes, in war, I am not a mass murderer). It is somewhat different between people and animals, however, all lives end. Even if we made everyone kill their own meat, things would eventually return to largely same state they are in. People can get used to anything – blood, guts, mortar attacks and smelly water. We are animals, just with higher capacity brain functions than most. But we are still just animals.

May 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Missy

sure and you can stomach killing humans too...BUT can you stomach it if some one kills YOU??? that is the question. do you still like meat when you are the menu? idiotic. killing is great until you're the one getting killed.

May 30, 2011 at 1:48 am |
  9. Stefanie

I used to live on a hobby farm (26 acres). We raised chickens, pigs, turkeys. I thought I should be able to kill my own meat to eat it. Survived butchering 2 chickens. But it was awful. So I decided I would give my animals a really good life. They have one bad day (transporting to the butcher). Then I pick them up as meat in a package. That was my compromise.
    Now I work FT, and I buy from local organic and free-range farmers.

May 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Missy

that's really sick. i suppose you'd treat your dog this way. what's the difference?...you figured out killing is wretched but instead of learning from that experience, you screwed up and shoved the wretched killing off onto someone else. maybe you have to be killed and eaten to learn that the reason the killing sucked is because it was WRONG. duh.

May 30, 2011 at 1:46 am |
  10. Myrna Stockstill

It would be much more impressive if he raised the animals he ate. Sport killing is wrong unless you eat what you kill.

May 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  11. Lou H

Maybe Mark Z. is afraid of being poisoned? Like despot kings in the old days....

May 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  12. Braftastic

Vegan!

May 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  13. P Herz

for the thrill i guess, they're going to die anyway provides the moral clearance to not experience guilt but only primal senses that are engrossed when directly taking the life of your food source. like when you pull fruit from a tree or veggies from your garden, they just taste better.

May 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  14. stevef2222

not unless the pig has a knife too...so it's a fair fight;-)

May 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Tom

You've nhever seen a Boar have you?

May 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  15. Dmac

I chose other. I'm not against eating meat or killing animals for food. But I am against desacrating the animal by the way's we heartlessly treat them as they are raised. I believe we should honor the animals life by using every bit of it's body that we can (an old native-american concept). I love meat but I think if people had to kill their own food alot more people would be vegetarian.

May 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  16. Kjetil

This is just stupid! How about only driving cars you've built yourself?

May 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  17. boyamidumb

More proof that money doesn't make you a smart person and success in this country is more about greed and ambition than about truly producing something of value.

He's a freaking idiot with dollar signs for a soul.

May 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Dmac

Well in his case what you call "success" was do to a novel idea that was well recieved by a very large proportion of internet users. Just because you struggle and others have financial security is not reason to justify crucifying them because you consider this or that immoral. I doubt you are the most moral person in the world. And just to let you know, I'm homeless and am using a library computer to type this. I sleep on cardboard at night (on grass for softness of course). I do not feel that this man is dumb or greedy any more than the local Kroger store manager or the crooked cornerstore owner down the street. No more than the people that run the municipal government in my local area or, dare i say it, the police that 'protect' the innocent and defenseless in our area. We all have our problems and I guarantee you have just as much as this guy.

May 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  18. Tom

People dont respect their food anymore, especially children. If everyone spent just one day as a hunter/gatherer it could have a profound long term effect on how we live. As an avid fisherman I find that the sweatest fish is one you've caught cleaned and prepared yourself. On time on a weekend fishing trip I forgot to put the sandwhiches I had prepared in the cooler. For 3 days we had nothing to eat but what we could find or catch. I found some wild onions but we didnt catch any fish until late afternoon on the second day. That trout was the best trout I had ever had in my entire life.

May 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  19. Steve Portaro

Billionaire or not he operates the most bug ridden website on the web, its functionality is a joke, its script can be bought all over..actually even better and he is no genius....he just had a cult following like Craiglist did...same scenario

May 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  20. Nordic Man

Some guy goes to Ol' Macdonalds farm and shoots some barnyard animals. WHAT A LOSER! Of course, he's a rich loser and people gravitate towards the rich. Some things never change.

May 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  21. sj23

Thank God, I don't do social networks. The only thing about this article that bugs me is that well known people such as this one have a lot of influence on the young generation and the message he spreads is not educational. I hope we won't see young children running around the neighborhood killing cats and dogs to BBQ them in the backyard. I hope they are smarter than that.

May 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • abbyful

Do you think that kids raised on farms or by hunters go around killing dogs and cats to eat? No.

I grew up on a farm and in a farming/ranching community. Most people also hunt. Kids are taught about where their food comes from and to respect it. Eggs come from chickens, beef comes from cows, etc., versus many kids nowadays think food just comes "from the grocery store".

Americans need to get back in touch with where their food comes from. Most Americans have no clue about farming and raching, whether it be raising crops or livestock. (And ironically the PETA-screamers and vegans are some of the worse about this; they only know the extremely slanted view PETA has shown them).

May 30, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  22. JM

I only eat pus.sy..

May 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Thor

Please explain further. Many of us don't understand. Do you mean Pus.sy...cats? Not sure if that is legal in this country.
      A little more detail, please.

May 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  23. barry

I will delete my facebook account and join Path after I post this

May 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  24. Getagrip

At least wild animals have a fighting chance to get away from hunters, not so caged/fenced animals that live in squalor and have no way out. If they don't measure up for market they are piled up like so much garbage, no honor in their death! We could all use a lesson from the Native Americans who blessed the spirit of the animal after killing it, using every bit of it with no waste and respecting the earth they lived on!

May 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  25. Getagrip

I don't believe it's a pr stunt at all; I kinda say kudos to him. It's easy to go to a grocery store and buy meat all nicely pre-packaged. It keeps you totally removed from the reality of killing an animal and all it involves. It also keeps you ignorant of that animal's reality while it was grown in farm factories in mostly inhumane conditions. I doubt that many of you here (myself included) would eat meat if you had to kill it...think about it. I doubt that anyone with billions needs a "publicity stunt", but if his notoriety brings focus on the realities of the animals we consume, I say YAY!

May 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  26. TampaMel

This has probably been said already but those of us who eat meat should not be commenting negatively. Just because YOU don't do the killing does not make you better than a hunter. BTW, before you vegetarians start weighing in with the 'Holier than Thou" comment. We all kill to have had killed living things to eat. Just because it doesn't have a face you can recognize nor make a sound does not mean it does not feel pain. Eating no meat does not make anyone more ethical (even PETA kills).

May 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  27. ted

It is sad to see a fellow Jew talking about killing and eating pork. You don't have to be religious to respect your tradition and at least not be public about it.

May 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  28. Chris

Its "Shown" not "Shone". Typo 1st paragraph, last sentence.

May 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  29. Linda

Jerome – join me in eating my ice-milk and range-free fig newtons... yummm.
    These people are ALL crazy. I grew up poor, a city kid in a large famliy, with many days with no food, least of all meat. What some billionarie does for 'kicks' or to 'feed' his over-inflated ego, is HIS problem, HIS business. We can't all hunt, fish or live on a farm and raise our food. Some of us live in the REAL world of work, pay bills and try to keep ahead of the 'tax man'. What really maters is we live in a country where we can hunt for our food or not – our choice and no one has the right to take that away from us. Do as you need to, to ease your own conscience. I shop where my 'budget' allows me to shop. I eat meat as I can afford to. To each his own. Besides, does it really matter anyway? Do you think the supermarkets are going out of business anytime soon? There is a reason why we need them and use them. Because feeding our families, anyway we can, and keeping our jobs means we are living the best life we can, for as long as we can. God bless us all. [that outa anger a few liberal-athiest-vegans!]

May 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Jay

Holy shinikies batman... As a liberal meat-eating atheist, I laugh at you, HARD. Bahahahhaha, idiot.

May 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  30. Liliana

I do enjoy fishing and enjoy eating fish.

May 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  31. Alisia

Sorry i dont believe anything that man says he built his wealth on other poeple ideas the movie explain s that and what was done with twins he cheat out of there money i really dont think he would care about how a animal was killed when he dose not have a basic thing like being honest in his bones

May 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • John

Huh!?! Ever hear of punctuation?

May 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Jay

Oh! Of course! It was in a movie so that must be exactly how it all went down. Thanks for pointing that out....

May 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  32. Dennis E

This guy Mark is a wanna be. I believe he is just after PR and his own ego. Make a big enough splash or say something as off the wall shocking to have people talk about, did you hear what the Facebook CEO said.
    Hey Mark, look buddy, if it were not for Veterans you'd never have the chance to do and say do the things you you do. Now if you were man enough to have joined the military and branch of the military. Then gone out to have to kill food to survive, okay, then you have a valid point in hunting for food just to survive. Please leave your ego at the front door. You are not that impressive. Try doing some volunteer work at a VA Hospital or working with Habitat for Humanity. Then talk about those things.

May 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Jay

Mark has done far more for humanity through donations then you will ever be able to do. Even if you quit your job tomorrow, volunteered every day and every night, you still wouldn't come close to matching his contributions. So, go sit in your corner.

May 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  33. Geronimo

Where da Buffalo at?

May 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  34. displacedmic

Why wouldn't he? He is trying to be more self-sufficient. MZ truly is a fascinating guy and i'm not even a FB user.

May 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  35. Paul

So much hate for vegetarians. Meat eaters are a lot like the far right when it comes to the topic of food; They always bemoan how persecuted they are, but you never actually see any of it. I've met way more meat eaters that take issue with people that don't eat meat, than vegetarians who take issue with people that do. And good for Mark Zuckerberg. If I had his resources I'd grow all of my food myself. Industrial farming and meat production is legitimately poisoning our country and all anyone in the media ever wants to talk about is how strange the people are who alter their diets accordingly.

May 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Martha Stewit

I don't hate vegans, I find they are rather tasty. Most need a long slow stewing though to cook out that nasty attitude though.

May 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  36. Linda

I have Respect for All Animals . I don't eat them, wear them, nor do I buy products that are tested on them. Animals are with us . They have their own lives . They should be able to enjoy what is theirs .

May 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • RichardHead

Are you writing this while you are naked?

May 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Martha Stewit

And theirs is to get in my belly.

May 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  37. nmiller

I prefer my food the old fashioned way.... mass slaughter using industrial equipment and delivered to me in a non-biodegradable Styrofoam container.... with fries.

May 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Great Rainbow Hunter

and top off the cow with a nice shot of steroids before wacking it.

mmmmmmm makes my mouth water ~ i am gonna go get some cow.

May 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  38. Jay

Former vegetarian here. I started eating fish again about three years ago and am considering introducing poultry back into my diet. I am currently able to kill the fish I consume but am still on the fence when it comes to asking myself if I could actually kill a chicken. Yes, this actually does matter.

There is something morally wrong about being able to enjoy eating a meat but not being able to handle the emotions felt when taking the life of the animal. If the factory farms that produce your meat were not so well hidden from us, we would probably have a lot more respect for the animals that must be slaughtered for us to enjoy a meal. We would probably realize that we do not have to eat meat at every single meal and every single day. This would be better for our own conscious, the environment, our health, and for the animals which must live in horrible conditions to keep up with our crazy demand for meat.

Its not about feeling macho. Its actually the opposite. Its about realizing the sad disconnect between enjoying eating meat and not wanting anything to do with the animal that was sacrificed for your enjoyment and trying to reconcile the two.

May 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  39. kellygirl

millions of people whack their own dinner every night...the only difference between this bloke and the others is his facebook page.

May 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  40. Robison87

The human race would not be here today if it wasnt for our ancestors hunting and fishing. There is much more nutrition in meat as compared to vegetation. Vegans have to get blood work to check their levels which is obviously not natural. We need a balanced diet and meat is a part of it.

May 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Jack

The hunter gatherer society thankfully ended when humans planted wheat.That was 10,000 years ago. The hunter gatherer lived no more than 30 years. If he had lived into his 40s and 50s he would succumbed to heart disease and cancer. Since we became civilized we became more aware of the non corrupted goodness in plants and fruits. In point of fact it is a myth that vegans cannot get enough protein in their non animal diets. The limiting amino acid in grains is usually lysine and in legumes it can be methionine and tryptophan. So, the low level of lysine in grains is complemented by a higher level in legumes, and vice versa, to make a complete protein. I have been a vegan for 15 years. I am 66 and I still pump iron in a gym three time a week. I'll arm wrestle anyone who disagrees with my post to prove that I am healthier than most American 19 year olds.

May 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
      • Great Rainbow Hunter

wanna have a spear throwing contest? we could throw them at little bunnies.

May 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
      • Paul Bunyan

Pump iron doesn't mean opening a can of soup old codger. I eat red red meat all the time, 3 times a day. Tell you what, lets go on a 20k run and then lets do some real wrestling, or wrestle first and then run 20k, I don't care. All I know is you will run poop out of energy in less than 15 minutes with your bunny food fed body.

May 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
      • Jay

And its a huge tell of your knowledge that you think arm wrestling or any muscle development has anything to do with how healthy you are.

May 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  41. Dustin

This is ridiculous. For the people blasting Zuckerberg, it's not his fault this is a banner on CNN – it's CNN's. And anyone who is making comments about animal cruelty is being extremely naive. I don't kill my food, but it's 1) more humane 2) healthier 3) less expensive and 4) more efficient to kill the meat you consume. If everyone killed their own meat, we would be slaughtering hundreds of thousands LESS animals than we do nowadays. End of story.

May 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Great Rainbow Hunter

I thought it was hundreds of trillions less not thousands

another made-up factoid!

May 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  42. Frankie

And beside the health benefits of cutting and gutting your own meat, it's a real rush to see the blood pour out of the animal when you cut it's throat to bleed it.

May 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Great Rainbow Hunter

do you smear it on your face and on the body of your sex partners

May 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  43. holly

Eating slaughtered tortured animals is WRONG!!!! Idots.......

May 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Holy

That's why i prefer to eat them while they are still wiggling.

May 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  44. Jack

We suffer from more autoimmune diseases, cancers, osteoporosis and obesity than people in China. Why? We eat from animal based foods and beverages than most of the other people on the planet. There are more clinical and peered reviewed articles proving the inherent risks associated with our so called healthy diet. These consistent articles demonstrate the value of a plant and food based food style.

May 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Great Rainbow Hunter

show me one, just one, real source that lends support to your broad inane assumptions about China.

May 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  45. Geoff the Meat Eater.

If you are considering killing your own meat, and are looking for an easy animal to raise and slaughter you can check out this video to learn what you can keep in any urban enviornment with no hassle from code enforcers, and it eats grass. http://www.montelloalpacacompany.blogspot.com

May 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  46. Darthnormand

It is very likely that the majority of people who voted "I already do" are people who fish. I want to see a different pole that shows people who hunt with guns/bows, farmers that slaughter there own meat, and people who fish. There will be a huge difference in the numbers. I like beef, but not after I go the the state fair and pet a cow and see it has a personality. Pigs wag their tail with the same enthusiasm/happines as a dog. Rabbits jump in the air with excitement when they see their owners, or if they are playing. Most of these animals act in the same ways as pets that we would not dare consider meat.
    My main point is that if people get to meet their food first, there would be many more vegetarians.

May 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  47. Laura Marie

C'mon now, let's not pretend we are somehow better people because we don't kill the animals ourselves. If you pay to eat meat, you are just as responsible for the killing of animals. Period. I think it is far more responsible to personally kill what you eat than to contribute to the factory farming industry and their horrific treatment of animals. No, I'm not a vegan and I don't believe everyone should be. But, I truly feel the way we treat animals in this country is disgusting and is detrimental to our health (hormones, antibiotics, GMO's etc).

May 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  48. Lalso

"We humans only started to eat meat during the ice age, so very recently. It was always just a part of what we ate, but now people gorge themselves on it"
    Wrong. Our common ancestors the chimps also kill and eat meat (including smaller monkeys). So it is not an Ice-Age phenomena. The answer is that soon meat will be just to expensive to produce and we will be eating substitutes like algae fashioned to look like a steak. My 2 cents

May 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
1 2 3 4
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,654 other followers