May 18th, 2011

Ronald McDonald, the orange and white face of the popular fast-food chain that bears his name, is under attack by nutrition advocates who want him to be retired.

Their beef, so to speak, is that McDonald's uses clowns and toys to sell unhealthy food to impressionable children. The company argues that its marketing practices are responsible, and that its food is "high quality."

The push to retire Ronald is being led by a group called Corporate Accountability International, which plans to introduce a resolution calling for the clown's ouster at the company's annual shareholder meeting Thursday.

Read - Junk food foes to McDonald's: Retire Ronald!

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. linda sue krow

this is the funniest thing i have read in a long time.but sad too. Mickey Ds is ok once in a while , and parents need to give other healthy foods at home. I dont see it as a major cause of obesity. Parents can teach their children from a young age to use a food pyramid. So they learn to eat healthy.

July 23, 2011 at 12:29 am |
  2. Name*Brandon

I think that Ronald is the only clown in the world that isnt scary looking!..My brother and I met him when i was 5 and he gave us giant coloring books!! That did not make us want to eat more Happy Meals,..it just made us happy!!

May 20, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  3. AirForce House wife

Silly, its just silly! I love Ronald!! He dose not make children fat. Taking your children to eat fast food everyday instead of cooking them a nice meal at home is what makes children fat. Control your childs diet but dont control mine.

May 20, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  4. Jerv

Right, right, right. Snap Crackle and Pop are turning kids into gangsters, the Super Sugar Crisp Sugar Bear is making kids become diabetics and the Jolly Green Giant is making kids promiscuous. Get a grip folks.

May 20, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  5. chris

These protesters need to get a life. These well intentioned morons don't seem to be aware that PARENTS not children purchase these items. Instead of focusing on such stupid concerns they could perhaps donate their time & energy to supporting our brave men & women fighting for our country!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  6. Military Wife

Ridiculous!! Are People really blaming a MASCOT for TALKING to them thru a poster??? You dont need help for your obisity but for mental illness.

May 20, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  7. Freddie

Down with lazy ass parents. Do your job! Leave Ronald alone...if you're too weak willed to say no, you shouldn't have had kids.

May 20, 2011 at 7:16 am |
  8. Military Wife

If it wasnt for that CLOWN (Ronald McDonald) I dont know what my husband and I would have done when our twin daughters were bron 2months early and were under 4lbs. They were in a NICU 2 hours from our home for over a week. Without the help from the Ronald McDonald House we would have been sleeping in the waiting rooms!! That CLOWN is our HERO and if you cant find something better to protest for then "GET A LIFE"

May 20, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  9. Dave Waid

Spare us!!....taking Ronald away from McDonald's is the same as taking away the Bald Eagle away from the USA!!......don't blame him for child obesity......blame the parents......get back to a good home cooked meal....Mickey D's should be an occasional treat.....not an excuse not to cook for your kids!!

May 20, 2011 at 6:55 am |
    • Military Wife

AGREE !!! These parents find McDonalds a easy way out of taking 30min out of there day to prepare a meal for there child/children... Funny thing is they dont have anyone to blame but themselves for there childs obesity!!! Outrageous to blame a fast food mascot.

May 20, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  10. Food for thought

Once again, forced retirement!

May 20, 2011 at 5:37 am |
  11. Miami Cruz

Look at the lady in this pic, with the dangeling child. It's clear she should spend more time on holding her child with love than holding a sign about fast food. Who's the clown here?

May 20, 2011 at 5:34 am |
  12. I want da gold!

Gotta love getting a McDonald's ad in the upper right side of this page! Priceless!

May 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • FF

The best!

May 20, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  13. meowsers

as an obsese 7 year old myself, i support the termination of ronald mcdonald. within the past 5 years, each time we have driven by a mcdonalds, i feel that when i saw ronald mcdonald staring at me from the playground outside, his eyes spoke to me. "orderrrrr freeennnchh frieesss" "toyysss with your burrrgerrrr". i have kicked and screamed until i got what i wanted- a delicious happy meal complete with a cheesburger, french fries, soda, and play toy.

each time my mother decided that she would rather shut me up and buy food than be a responsible parent and cook at home. she would purchase me my scrumptious dinners that i would wash down with my favorite beverage, an orange soda. the best was that afterwards i knew that i could just as eaisly and convince my mother to let sit in front of the tv for hours! who wants to play outside when cartoons are on all day long?

now that i am in school and i am extremely large in comparison to my classmates, i realize that ronald mcdonald's eyes speak a different language. the language of obesity! how dare he make me wine and get a kids meal for dinner?? my embarassement from my unhealthy appearance is directly related to this cruel character.

down with the clown!

May 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Military Wife

Are you really blaming a MASCOT for your obesity!!! That is the most ridiculos thing i have ever heard, if you should be blaming anyone blame your mother for being THE IRRESPONSIBLE PARENT who chose to feed you what you wanted whenever you wanted!!! You know how to take care of the Kicking and Screaming "DISCIPLINE"

May 20, 2011 at 7:24 am |
  14. I want da gold!

So these children...they are getting out their wallets and buying the McDonald's? Are they driving through the drive through, ordering, and paying for their meals?

Simple solution: Don't buy it for them!

May 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • I got dat gold!

I know dude, good point! And I got all dat gold!

May 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
      • I want da gold!

You ain't got dat gold unless you're the leprechaun up in da tree in Mobile, Alabama. If dat's da case Imma rent a backhoe, uproot dat tree, I want da gold!

May 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
      • I got dat gold!

Hahaha! Too funny dude! Good to know some folks still have a sense of humor.

May 20, 2011 at 6:57 am |
  15. Ronald McDolenz@Lindalou

LOL! Clowns don't make people fat. People make themselves fat. Clowns post funny comments.

May 19, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  16. Lindalou

Yes, all the overweight people of the world rush to eat as soon as they see a clown. The people I know that are overweight have habits that aren't being prompted by a clown. What a monumental waste of time. Take up a different cause, this one is without merit. McDonalds...hold your ground!

May 19, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  17. MaryInBoise

In the McDonald's store I work at - by the way, this was not my ideal job-I have a Master's Degree - I haven't really noticed the big presence of Ronald, although our store doesn't have a playland area. They do have a display for the kid's meal toys, but it is the parents who ultimately decide what to order, and the there are healthier options for the kid's meals these day, such as diced apples instead of fries, and milk instead of soda. There are also plenty of healthy salad offerings and if you ask to skip the mayo, the grilled chicken sandwiches are quite good and healthy. At any rate, getting rid of Ronald won't change the parents' habits in any way. It's ultimately up to them to make good choices for their children. On another note, the company requires us to practice "upselling" which means we should ask the customer if they'd like to add on 3 cookies for a dollar or an apple pie. We are only allowed to do this for adults, never when kids are around.

May 19, 2011 at 6:10 am |
    • Mildred

Heck, is Ronald even on the Happy Meal boxes anymore? If they have some movie/tv show promotion toy these days I don't think the big clown is on the box!

May 19, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  18. Seth

Give me a break. Aren't there better things to protest in the world? Ronald is THE Clown!

May 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  19. Me!

Good grief! Don't these people have anything better to do? Children don't buy food... their parents do! My kid ate at McDonalds occasionally... so what? When I go to McDonalds, I go because I'm in the mood for junk food. (Love their fries and vanilla milkshakes!) If I want to eat healthy, I go to Panera Bread – or I eat at home. The problem is not McDonalds, it's people who are too lazy to cook at home and go to McDonalds everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Enough already.

May 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  20. Carole

So trying again. Doesn't anyone watch "Bones"–Seeley Booth, the handsome FBI Agent is deathly afraid of clowns. Ronald probably actually keeps him from eating fast food. It is time for parents to parent. My generation started the lousy parenting trend that is continued today (summer of love and all that). Get over yourselves all–take responsibility for raising your own children. Throw them out of the house to play–take away the anti-socializing video games and let them use their thumbs to playball. Too much anger in too many people. Sad.

May 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  21. Mildred

Oh for crying out loud... one should be looking at parents who don't educate themselves about food and don't have the fortitude to say "no" to their kids or the capacity to teach their kids moderation. And who sit their kids down in front of tvs and video games instead of interacting with the kids or have them play outside.

I don't have kids myself, but I have friends who do. And there's this five year old who loves McD's chicken nuggets and fries. He prefers water to drink (so no soda). His parents let him have chicken nuggets and fries, but not every day and not every time they pass a McD's, even though the child asks to stop each time. He and his siblings have a set amount of time for TV, for the computer, and they rest of the time they're encouraged to go outside and play (they live in a rural area), or read a book and do other stuff if the weather is poor.

Yes, companies will use what works to sell you something- whether it's food, clothes, gadgets. Even the companies that produce low-fat low-calorie organic XYZ has a demographic they're targeting and are using what works on that demographic to sell them the low-fat low-calorie organic XYZ.

McD's is actually among the more responsive established fast food joints that I've seen in terms of updating the menu to current trends and included items like fruit, milk, yogurt, and salads before other companies (IIRC).

May 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • AleeD from Home Sweet Home@Mildred

Well said and I agree on all counts.

My parents had noooo problem being real parents by telling us no. McD's was a treat, not a staple. Times have changed. People are busy. No arguments. My issue is, as you said, when parents won't educate themselves so they can, in turn, educate their children on how to make well-informed, healthy choices ... not just about fast food either.

May 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Mary

Absolutely agree with you on all counts!

May 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,052 other followers