5@5 - The Coldani Family
May 17th, 2011

Olive oil regularly takes a spin inside the sauté pan and graces many an arugula leaf with its presence - but ever tried a drizzle on top of your sundae?

Take an (oily) dip of faith into summer with the Coldani family, who have grown and produced Calivirgin olive oil in the San Joaquin Valley of California for the past 70 years.

Five Inventive Summer Uses for Olive Oil: The Coldani Family

1. Fruit salad with a twist
"Planning a picnic or invited over for the neighbors' potluck? Take boring fruit salad up a notch with an olive oil enriched fruit salad.

We love to toss some juicy watermelon squares and ripe strawberry slices into a bowl and then drizzle thick, velvety balsamic vinegar, along with a splash of a basil-infused olive oil over the top. The hidden basil flavor is what surprises the taste buds and we always get compliments for our unique take on fruit salad."

2. Spicy popcorn for movie night
"Summer means big movie blockbusters and if you’re anything like our family, there is nothing better than a movie night with lots of popcorn.

As a healthy alternative to butter, we pop up bowls of popcorn and drizzle jalapeno-infused olive oil on top for an unctuous and spicy kick."

3. Summer glow with olive oil
"Whether applied to face or body, olive oil can penetrate deep into the skin and provide a long-lasting shield of moisture to keep skin smooth and supple.

After a day in the sun or at the beach, extra virgin olive oil mixed with a little lemon juice and coarse salt makes for a refreshing and healing scrub and summer moisturizer. Whenever we cook, we always drizzle a little bit of oil on our hands for a quick and easy way to keep our hands soft."

4. We scream for ice cream(!)
"Because we eat a lot of olive oil, we’re always trying to think of new ways to experiment how to use it. One of our favorite discoveries was last summer when, during a heat wave, we were eating ice cream one night and looked at each other and thought, 'why not?'

Although everyone thinks of olive oil as traditionally enjoyed on bread, drizzled over fresh mozzarella or poured over a savory soup, it is delicious drizzled over ice cream with some sea salt sprinkled on top. Trust us - this sweet treat makes for the perfect summer indulgence."

5. Olive oil and friends
"We’re always curious about other olive oils and, instead of making it feel like work, figured out a way to try a lot of different varieties while keeping it fun. We now host monthly olive oil tasting parties where we invite over some friends, pour different tastes of olive oils from around the world and get people talking.

Sometimes we’ll rate the oils based on taste and color, or maybe even do a blind tasting to guess where the oils are from. It’s a delicious spin on a get together with friends - and with a plenty of fresh, crusty French bread for dipping and lots of wine, everyone leaves happy."

Favorite use of olive oil? Dip in the comments section, if you please.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Think

1. Maira Bogar

Massage therapists treat clients by using touch to manipulate the soft-tissue muscles of the body. With their touch, therapists relieve pain, rehabilitate injuries, reduce stress, increase relaxation, and aid in the general wellness of clients.-,-"

Our own internet page
    <http://picturesofherpes.covm

June 25, 2013 at 12:33 am |
  2. Gonzalo Sitterson

Cradle cap is not caused by a bacterial infection, allergy, nor from poor hygiene. Cradle cap is also not contagious. Doctors do not agree on what causes cradle cap, but the two most common hypotheses include fungal infection and overactive sebaceous glands. Cradle cap is an inflammatory condition.:^;;

Have a look at all of the latest blog post at our new web site http://ideascollection.org/

June 17, 2013 at 12:45 am |
  3. Elder Care

Paradise In Home Care is definitely your premium home care group. Learn how these people can aid your partner to live healthier. Elder Care http://biopractice.com/blog/?p=23959

March 4, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  4. The Passionate Olive

Love the article and the comments. In my book & iPhone app, I list over 100 uses...but my favorites are taking off makeup, using as a moisturizer, the aforementioned sensual uses....and with the popularity of the "hangover" movies...taking a teaspoon or two before a night on the town to prevent a hangover! BTW, Calivirgin Olive Oil is great!

May 21, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • William Wilson

Why are so many people letting rude and outlandish comments distract them from Weinergate?

June 8, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  5. Lisa

Olive Lover, your post about putting it in your dogs food reminded me about what else I use it for....One winter my cats skin got so dry he was flaking everywhere. So I placed him on a towl and rubbed it all over him and rubbed it in real good with the towl to remove excess. He did lick some of it off, but most of it stayed in his skin and it cleared up after that.

May 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Lisa

My family has a lot of uses for olive oil besides your basic pasta/veggie stuff. I use it with Balsamic vinegar and some mrs dash on a salad of lettuce,green snap peas and strawberries.

I warm some up in the microwave and work it into my hair and scalp, then I wrap my hair in aluminum foil (or buy a gold cap which is made of aluminum foil) on my hair then a shower cap on top of that.....then I leave it on for a day while I clean the house. At the end of the day when I wash it out my brown hair is darker,softer and shinier. I do this at least once a month in winter.

I add some to Epsom salts and drop into a bath tub full of warm water with either 5 drops of essential oil in Lavender,Vanilla or Lemon....or if I don't have essential oil I just throw in a bit of Vanilla extract. Its a soothing oil to soak in. If you have eczema like my daughter does I replace the olive oil with coconut oil. But I always use the edible kind that is organic.

Lastly when I bake bread or make homemade cookies or muffins,instead of using the butter,shortening, or other oils I use olive oil, or use olive oil for half the oil/butter and a mashed up banana for the other half. And the baked goods come out much better.

May 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Sammie

That guy on the left creeps me out.. :(

May 20, 2011 at 1:32 am |
  8. Olive Lover

I put olive oil in my dogs food every day to make their hair shine! I also use it on my popcorn. I HAVE to try the fruit salad with it now.

May 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  9. Ellen

Scrambled eggs with olive oil, garlic salt and topped with grated asiago cheese.

Popcorn drizzled with olive oil and garlic salt.

May 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  10. sb52853

We used to have a dog who would get exzema in the summer. My mother would rub olive oil on the spot and it cleared up nicely.

May 18, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  11. missy24

These comments are hilarious!!

May 18, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  12. Suz

I am lamenting the absence of the "report abuse" button today. :(

I use olive oil as a remedy for cracked feet. Slather some olive oil on your feet, cover with socks, leave on overnight. In the morning, your feet will be soft and feel much better!

May 18, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Sarah

I am lamenting the same thing, Suz; right there with you. :^(

May 18, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • RichardHead

In the morning you can then wring the socks out over your favorite bread for a tasty treat.

May 18, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  13. Carnie Vore

Am I the only one that looks at that picture and thinks "Stepford Family"?

May 18, 2011 at 9:20 am |
  14. Carnie Vore

I draw little pictures of the virgin Mary and Jesus in some bread with olive oil, then toast the bread. Then I leave the toast in the driveway of my ultra-religious neighbors. Then I eat homemade hummus made with olive oil while I watch them genuflecting before the holy toast. Then I watch Popeye and laugh at the antics of Olive Oyl while my wife gives me an olive oil-lubricated...ahem...personal massage.

May 18, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  15. Michelle B

Many African Americas use olive oil in their hair. It seals the hair shaft and retains moisture, which is important in our hair.

May 18, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  16. Jerv

I'll try it on popcorn.

May 18, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  17. Mildred

I picked this up from a restruant that I love.

Place a dollop of pesto onto a small plate. Pour olive oil over the pesto until the bottom of the plate is just covered. Hit it with a grind or two of pepper. Use a piece of bread to mix and swirl the pest and ground pepper into the olive oil and eat the bread. Pick up another piece of bread....

May 18, 2011 at 8:12 am |
  18. Cumberland Man

It's amazing that even a subject such as olive oil and draw out the morons of American society. Who thought that so many of us were so f*cked up?

May 18, 2011 at 8:11 am |
    • Marcia@Cumberland Man

Really? Have you seen the horse thread?

May 18, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  19. nicekity868

Oiive oil on my dildo. Now theres a hobby 4 ya.

May 18, 2011 at 3:20 am |
  20. Morgan

I dump about a half gallon of olive oil in the tank of my diesel powered vehicles.
    It makes the engine run quieter and the exhaust smells like someone is cooking french fries in a hot oil cooker.

I like the olive oil on several foods but for popcorn I gotta have my grape seed oil.

Ice cream?? Maybe I'll try just a wee bit one of these days.

May 18, 2011 at 2:27 am |
  21. Nummy

I've never put olive oil ON my popcorn, but I always pop my popcorn IN olive oil on the stove top. Light, healthy, and not greasy! Right out of the pot I top it with a bit of smoked paprika and salt.

May 18, 2011 at 1:20 am |
  22. Person

About #2... I don't understand how olive oil is any healthier than butter, actually it would lack nutrients that butter has.

But also, how exactly are you supposed to dip your olive oil in bread?

May 17, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • Jorge

Monunsaturated fatty acids, tocopherols, proprietary anti-oxidants and phenols, all of which are mostly absent from butter and are nothing but good for you. Did you know that you can staunch skin and ulcer bleeding with EVOO? Try that with butter.

May 18, 2011 at 9:32 am |
  23. Nancy

I smear some olive oil on my gila monster when she is having trouble shedding her skin.

May 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  24. TechTalkGuy

Olive Oil is awesome on mashed potatoes!

May 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Eric

the people in these pictures make me want to vomit. They should remain in the suburbs of Charlotte or something.

May 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
1 2
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,040 other followers