5@5 - Sally Camacho
May 12th, 2011

Writer Ernestine Ulmer is popularly attributed to the phrase: "Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

We're no Family Radio, but we'll agree with the first part - especially after recent injuries sustained by one of our own. The second part, however, we've got our qualms with. We love banana cream pie as much as the next person, but there's also something a little bit unsettling about the notion of an éclair before the escargot.

We're more in the same camp of thought as Sally Camacho, the pastry chef at WP24 in Los Angeles, California. She's certainly not advocating eating your sweets first - but she's certainly not advocating skipping them either.

Five Reasons to Eat Dessert Every Day: Sally Camacho

1. No meal can be complete without something sweet
Enough said.

2. It's the most legal form of a "happy ending"
No, really, desserts make people feel happy. Have you ever seen a person smile from ear to ear as they take a bite of dessert? It's pure satisfaction.

3. Do it for the pastry chefs!
You may find in some restaurants there is no pastry chef. That's because there are not enough people eating dessert! Help us keep our jobs.

4. Don't upset Mother Nature
We are naturally created to eat dessert. It has been found that eating something sweet triggers your brain into thinking you are at the end of a meal. Why go against nature?

5. Spoil yourself
You've had a long hard day. You owe it to yourself to have a little enjoyment. Even if it's a small bit of something sweet, it will be a delightful treat.

How often do you eat dessert? Let us know in the comments.

Posted by:
Filed under: 5@5 • Think

1. tryecrot

August 26, 2011 at 10:19 am | Reply
  2. Millie

I probably only eat dessert once-twice a week.

May 16, 2011 at 9:35 am | Reply
  3. Jim

Great ideas and excuses, but I'm generally full from the oversized meals the most restaurants serve...that and the fact a number of restaurants have limited to no dessert menu.

May 16, 2011 at 7:26 am | Reply
  4. eric

majority of people dont order desert because the meal you buy at a resturant is already too expencive. plus, the deserts are expensive too. most people stil have something sweet, but its usually like that mint in the bowl as u walk out or something in the car or home. if eating out was more affordable in general i think more people would order some desert.

May 16, 2011 at 1:36 am | Reply
  5. Rebecca

I agree with eating desserts after a meal. It is very satisfying and completes the meal, to make you feel like you definitely had enough to eat. I bake a cake, cookies or have ice cream for dessert with certain meals. It just depends on my mood, because growing up my grandfather would cook dinner and bake a delicious peach cobbler for us. It's seems sinful to indulge in desserts like that, lol. They sure are worth the taste!

May 15, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  6. ohsoclever

I absolutely love dessert ... I just don't eat it every day. I think moderation is key. I think that I enjoy it more when it's a once a week treat.

May 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  7. Daver

Reason #27 not to eat a dessert everyday (besides the fact that America has a growing obesity problem) – all the added sugar in our food already.

May 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  8. maoyue

I don't like sweets but I can easily understand why everyone else does. Dessert power and save an hors d'oeuvre for me.

May 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  9. PastryChef@Dildo BoomerBottom

Shuta YO Face Faggot!

May 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
  10. Dean

Who needs dessert when the main course is apple pie and donuts?

May 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  11. Karen

I actually think a very SMALL portioned dessert should be served as a FIRST course in restuarants. Might actually help curb some of the overeating of the main courses plus might even make the entire experience more enjoyable. It also might help curb the feeling of "missing out" and overindulgence in sweets later. I also agree there should be healthy options. A simple baked apple with natural ingredients would surely suffice.

May 15, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  12. snooks

Opinions are like *$$holes, everybody has one!!! This is not a "news" article but the opinion of one person. Lighten up people & have a dessert!!!

May 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • Goober Grape

I couldn't agree with you more, snooks.

May 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Reply
  13. Staceyann C. Dolenti

Sally, i like the way you think!!!

Staceyann Dolenti

May 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  14. JustAteDessert

I grew up not eating dessert at home because my mom is VERY health conscious. It didn't stop her from getting a stress related illness, soo LOL I do eat dessert occasionally, but I really don't like HEAVY desserts. I also agree that in some restaurants I'm too full after dinner. Nevertheless, my favorites are warm pie/icecream or fruit.

May 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  15. luv_hiking

Well I won't be taking this advice. I never eat dessert...because I don't like sweets.

May 14, 2011 at 9:59 am | Reply
    • Dean

Bah humbug.

May 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  16. Californian

Sugar is poison... period

May 14, 2011 at 2:43 am | Reply
    • ohsoclever

Poison? But it tastes sooooo good!

May 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  17. Anonymous

Yeah, eat desert everyday, and continue to grow fatter America. Take a look at the rising statistics of obesity. Teach this to our children and look what we'll be raising in the near future. Moderation is one thing. Continued indulgence makes for a lazy society.

May 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  18. Leighton

I always make a point of eating dessert after lunch and dinner, even if it's something like a piece of fresh fruit or plain yogurt with a little fruit, sugar, or honey mixed in. It puts a wonderful end to the meal. I am also a bit of a foody and love eating good food and multiple course meals. As with so many other things, small portions, balanced diets, and activity are key. But in my humble opinion, dessert is a necessary part of my life and I would not have it any other way :)

May 13, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Reply
  19. Burns

1) Untrue, snotty fine dining chef? Comes down to personal taste.
    2) Legal? I don't compare dessert to cocaine. It's not the happiest legal ending either, sex after dinner is a happy ending.
    3) Pastry chef is a stupid job. Only chef in the kitchen not contributing to people's health.
    4) I question the science of this statement. Sugar makes 1 hungrier because our ancestors NEEDED food high in calories and sweet things usually have the most. Personally I find eating enough is the trick.
    5) Lots of fat people spoil themselves. I'd rather a good old pizza than some rich, chocolaty garbage I can't name let alone pronounce made by some failure who couldn't become a REAL chef. hehehe

Sally Camacho, you have to understand, most people can't think for themselves and you have probably just made at least 17 morbidly obese people justify eating dessert in front of their kids. Hang you dessert fork in shame.

May 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Reply
    • Truth

Wow...Bitter and angry much?
      Who damaged you?

May 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Reply
    • BILBO BOOMERBOTTOM

Right on target!

May 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  20. SamSam

I eat dessert every day, either ice cream or some kind of cake/cookie, and always get dessert at a restaurant! When I was in college I was a super health nut and did not allow myself to eat anything that was even slightly unhealthy to the point that I was under weight. On the rare occasion that I did allow myself to have something sweet I would over indulge. Now (8 years later) I basically eat whatever I want, and never find myself craving anything. I am such a happier person because all the foods I once forbid myself are now available, and I learned I can eat them and be even healthier then I was in college, and not be starving all the time. I am now 5'4" and weigh 115 pounds...I keep track of my weight and if I see it ticking up I may not eat that extra cookie in the evening. My advice is do not deprive yourself, enjoy your desserts! :)

May 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  21. Joan

Regardless if an entree is large or small, if I want dessert (which is about 50% of the time), I'll get dessert. I usually take half of my meal home anyway because in most cases, the entress are too big. But what I usually do is split the dessert with someone.

May 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  22. Bpz

Here is a proof on why you do not need dessert: Jack Lalanne.
    Desserts – sugary things – are not healthy, make you tired, make you weak and, unless you have the genes or whatever, fat. Simple as that.

May 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply
  23. sparkssss

While we are talking dessert. I have a simple question. Can you gain in weight more than you eat(in weight). I say NO because the law of physics says "matter cannot be created nor distroyed". This is true althogh people do not believe me even if they cannot dispute this fact. If that tasty treat weighs 10grms that is all you can gain although it is somewhat less in reality. Comments???

May 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply
    • Burns

But you have too eat more to get some real nutrients.

May 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  24. Gloria in Chula Vista

I love dessert and often eat dessert FIRST when I go out to eat. In fact, I will eat dessert first, then have a entree, and then order another dessert. I then going walking with my significant other and I run regularly on my treadmill. Regular exercise is a small price to pay for the unmitigated joy of having dessert first – then third!

May 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  25. Jorge

About the only time I'll eat dessert is just before I push mow my lot or spend the afternoon doing laps in the pool. After 40 if you stuff your face with sweets on a regular basis and you don't exercise, you're pushing you're luck. One fine day you'll go see doc because you feel like cr@p and you're thirsty as a fish, and he's gonna tell you that you've got to take pills and prick you're fingers in the morning for the rest of your life, if you don't, good luck when they cut off your feet or you go blind.

May 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  26. Denise

I eat dessert almost every day! If I can't purchase it readily as I live in the Caribbean, I make it! When I go to a restaurant, I review the dessert menu before choosing my appetizer and main course! It brings a smile to my face & I swing my legs in delight (like a child), although am grown! Luv, luv my sweet stuff!

May 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  27. ivan

I just track down some chocolate chip cookies from a co-worker. Cheer!

May 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Reply
  28. Don

I just wish the desserts were smaller. Desserts today seem almost as big as the meal.

May 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  29. The Coffee Woman@rs1201

hahahaha. I eat dessert, you're underweight, I'm a healthy weight, I'll live longer than you.
    You need help.

May 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  30. LiZZY!!!

i ABSOLUTELY LOVEEEE RED VELVET CAKE!!

May 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Reply
  31. akparedes

I eat dessert after all my meals, nothing huge but just a little bite of something sweet!

May 13, 2011 at 10:43 am | Reply
  32. Dee

Dessert should be an occasional treat at most, not an everyday occasion. No wonder there's an obesity problem in this country.

May 13, 2011 at 10:17 am | Reply
    • Uninformed, Uptight Eatocracy Reader

oooooooohhhh...dessert!
      Mommy, make it go away! Maybe Mrs. Obama can appoint a Czar to stamp out all desserts!
      Carmacho shouldgo tojail or something for promoting dessert!
      Oh, can the government save me from this horror?
      I can feel my panties twisting up as I write this!

May 13, 2011 at 10:21 am | Reply
    • choclover

The two are not correlated.

May 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • BILBO BOOMERBOTTOM

So you think bad eating has nothing to do with obesity? Sorry-didn't realize you were a mental defective!

May 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  33. Pru

I agree with Mari - why do you need to rationalize eating dessert? Rather than say why or why not to eat dessert however everything in moderation? Yes sugar can be bad if you eat too much of it. Anything in excessive amount can be bad. Do I eat desserts that are packed with calories every day? No. Do I enjoy dessert when I do eat it - absolutely. I think there are real concerns about what is put into desserts however true pastry chefs are conscious about what goes into their desserts.

My take - eat your dessert - first, last, in the middle, not. Why follow the crowd in saying what you have to do? Just do it in moderation and know what you are doing. Then go take a walk....and leave the nay sayers behind.

May 13, 2011 at 9:47 am | Reply
  34. Truth

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, lighten the heck up!
    This is a thread about dessert, anf the person being interviewed seems to be a kind, pretty and considerate woman who obviously cares about her craft and those she serves. If you want to rail about calories, innuendos or anything else, please report for immediate seating i the stfu cafe.

May 13, 2011 at 9:18 am | Reply
    • Whatstheproblem

AMEN to that. I'm with those who check out the dessert menu first. For those who say they're too full of the entree to eat dessert, take some of it home with you! And if the dessert's "too big," (there's no such thing, really), then take some of THAT home too! Where is it written that you have to clean your plate at the restaurant?? Good grief – lighten up indeed!! I have a "bite of sweet" almost every day. It might be fruit (though to me, that isn't really "dessert" per se), or it might be sugar-free, or oh my, sin of sins, it might have REAL sugar and butter and chocolate in it. But stop ragging on the author of this 5@5 – it was a fun subject until all you sourpu$$es showed up. Have a cupcake or something!!

May 13, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
  35. Mari

I need no rationalization to agree with the concept of eating desert. In fact my whole menu decision in a restaurant is based on how good the desert is.......

May 13, 2011 at 8:32 am | Reply
    • Jerv

I want to party with you!

May 13, 2011 at 8:44 am | Reply
  36. Andrea

To Abagail: you do realize your BMI is 17.9, right? That's technically UNDERweight....just saying...

May 13, 2011 at 8:25 am | Reply
  37. Jeff

Seriously, you are including a reference to massage parlor , "happy ending" in a dessert article? Get some language skills!

May 13, 2011 at 7:58 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Seriously, you have already made your point. Why repost the same comment?

May 13, 2011 at 8:10 am | Reply
  38. JT

Rarely eat desert because of weight. However, if restaurants stopped mega-sizing deserts, I might reconsider.

May 13, 2011 at 7:55 am | Reply
  39. Andrea

I have thoroughly spoiled my family, I make dessert every night after dinner. When I don't feel like baking or creating something special, we have ice cream. In my own baking, I cut back on butter and NEVER use margarine. I do half oil half applesauce. Use cane sugar and honey; when using white sugar I reduce the amount. I try to incorporate fruits and veggies often as well. It's all in how you make it!

May 13, 2011 at 7:52 am | Reply
  40. Jack MeHopherson

These have to be the worst 'rationalizations' ever. The same things could be said for sex (do it to keep Doctors in their fields!), jumping off a cliff (nothing tells your body life is over like death!- and think of the morticians gosh darnit!), and most importantly BEER (nothing puts a smile on 85% of the worlds face like a cold brew after a meal/hard day at work/doing nothing at all–and will someone PLEASE think of the brewers?!?! [SN:Not the Milwaukee Brewers- they are just horrible])

May 13, 2011 at 7:44 am | Reply
  41. choclover

At least twice a day, I'll have dessert. Portion size is important. For the curious, I'm in my 50's, don't have any health/cholesterol issues, excercise regularly, and my weight is on the normal to low side. Everything is in moderation – from eating only 1/3 to 1/2 of a restaurant entree to sharing a large dessert with 1-3 others (or taking home leftovers).

May 13, 2011 at 7:40 am | Reply
  42. carol

The only restaurant where I order dessert is Magnolia Grill in Durham, NC. Karen Barker is a wonderful pastry chef and all of her creations are excellent. Most restaurant desserts are far too large and much too sweet. I much prefer the French approach of less sugar and more taste of the ingredients such as fruit or chocolate. Karen certainly gets it right. Otherwise, the chain restaurants serve frozen junk. Why spend the calories if it is not special? At home my dessert is a square of 72% chocolate.

May 13, 2011 at 7:25 am | Reply
  43. sobsaab

The same reasons could be given to rationalize smoking after a meal only #3 would be 'Do it for the tobacco growers'.

May 13, 2011 at 6:35 am | Reply
  44. Just looking out...

Just fyi people dessert is spelled D.E.S.S.E.R.T. Yes two S's. That's right everyone. Get it right, because other's will not take you seriously if you can not spell simple things properly. That goes to all individuals on yelp as well...

May 13, 2011 at 5:57 am | Reply
  45. rgmori

I am a diabetic recovering from a major surgery. The surgery was for repair of a ventral hernia brought on by complications of emergency surgery from two years past that saved my life. I changed my life style a few years ago to improve my peresonal self worth and my health. Exercise that had a purpose other than exercise. I began to rebuild a 30 ft sailboat. Each lunch and dinner meal here at the recovery center has a small light desert. It may simply be apple slices cooked with a little cinnamon, sometimes fresh fruit or even a piece of cheese cake. A small comfort indulgence. Sometimes the only saving grace of the institutional food served. Desert is not a problem, sandwiches for me are my enemy. Remove the bread and you improve the meal. Results: I have lost 120 pounds and improved my life. The first 80 pounds more likely contributed to my survival. Desert does not have to be an over indulgence to be satisfying. It should compliment the meal. The only change I have made overall is to add exercise for purpose other than exercise. Eat in moderation and enjoy life. Quit the diets and eat sensibly and reduce your dependence on wheat. You will get great results, me I lost 120 pounds. My sasilsxboat is just about ready. :)

May 13, 2011 at 3:52 am | Reply
  46. Helen Kim

I must use this for my school presentation!!!
    (Also,I am a korean kid....)

May 13, 2011 at 3:44 am | Reply
    • Helen Kim

this is perfect!

May 13, 2011 at 3:46 am | Reply
    • billy

Helen is not a Korean name... have you eaten dog yet?

May 16, 2011 at 1:33 am | Reply
  47. Anon

What about diabetes?

May 13, 2011 at 2:35 am | Reply
    • Taysha

What about it? IDDM is not related to consumption of sugar or any other food. Insulin resistance def requires more than daily consumption of dessert to show up: genetics, lifestyle, environment. So...if you eat well and are generally healthy, dessert wont hurt.

May 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
  48. Sal

Easily the worst column I've ever read in support of something, You should be ashamed of yourself.

May 13, 2011 at 2:13 am | Reply
    • Harry

Totally agreed. What a B.S. article.

May 13, 2011 at 3:12 am | Reply
  49. ryan

Heres another reason: 'Being a fat cunt'

May 13, 2011 at 2:04 am | Reply
  50. Abagail

rs1201 wrote: You people are nuts...have you ever heard of cholesterol...breast cancer...diabetes...obesity. My dessert is a light yogurt and I'm 5 ft 8" and weigh 118 lbs. I look at dessert and think...poison. That's exactly what you should all be doing. Once in a while you may have a small piece of cake or a small piece of chocolate...the operative word here is "small". Definitely, not every day and twice a day...that's suicide. I like being healthy and being able to tell the doctor at my annual checkups that I don't drink, smoke, and my cholesterol is around 117.
    I hope you all realize that you will pay dearly for your indulgence as you get older. I plan to be a healthy old bag.

rs1201 is absolutely right. If you want to FEEL GOOD and BE HEALTHY curb the sugar... it is deadly. And stop drinking SODA. just check out why on a search engine. DEADLY. Like in die a horrible painful death. Put 'sugar' into mercola.com website. Find out how deadly this substance is.

May 13, 2011 at 2:00 am | Reply