Have a guac-tacular Cinco de Mayo
May 5th, 2011

In case you didn't know, today is Cinco de Mayo. We know, we know - we were shocked too.

Now that you have your un-schmancy margarita(s) all shook up and ready for guzzling sipping, it's time to rock the guac.

We're in the same camp of thought as Jason Berry of Rosa Mexicano, store-bought purées might as well be culinary desecration. Seriously, guacamole could not be easier to make - you just mash stuff together. If you have a little extra aggression, consider it delicious anger management without the therapy bill.

Still in need of a recipe? In a moment of housewife hospitality, Eva Longoria recently offered up her secrets to achieving the holiest of guacamoles.

Serves 6 to 8

6 ripe avocados
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 cup pico de gallo (recipe to follow)
5 Roma tomatoes
1 yellow onion
1 fresh jalapeño
1/2 bunch cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

For the pico de gallo, quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Do the same for the jalapeño, unless you want some added heat then keep the seeds. Dice the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapeño, and toss in a small mixing bowl.

Remove the pit of the avocados and scoop into a mixing bowl. Using a large spoon, smash the avocados just a little so that you can work the rest of the ingredients and seasonings into them. Combine remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to desired taste.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Cinco de Mayo • Holidays • Make • Recipes

1. Josie

This isn't her recipe. I've seen her do her "famous" recipe on multiple shows and she always uses lemon instead of lime juice, serranos instead of jalepenos, and only adds coarse salt for seasoning. There's no cumin, coriander, pepper, or chili powder in it.

May 24, 2011 at 1:22 am | Reply
  2. Sus

You can't go wrong with Pioneer Woman's pico/guac combo: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/pico_de_gallo_a/

May 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  3. Sus

Don't get me wrong: I love spicy guac, but the amount of chili powder in this recipe is ridiculous – it turned my guac orange. Would also prefer red onions & a bit of garlic.

May 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  4. Jessica

This sounds great! I recently got some Himalayan pink salt and organic peppercorns from Sustainable Sourcing https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com and I'll have to try them out in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

May 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  5. Soleada

Also, molcajetes can be found in stores other than 'high-end' places, where i'm sure they cost a pretty penny or 2. Just head over to your local Mexican grocery store. They sell them for decent prices. Or a swap meet. There you can usually talk the vendor down a buck or 2.

May 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  6. LisaJ

I'm pretty sure when I saw Eva Longoria make this on "Mexican Made Easy" on Food Network, she used lemons, not limes. Did anyone else see that?

May 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • Josie

Yup, this is definitely not her recipe. Seen her do it on Martha and Rachel Ray and it's way different then what's listed above. I've made her recipe a few times and it's actually pretty good. This one sounds awful.

May 24, 2011 at 1:24 am | Reply
  7. Pliny

If I can smear some of that guac on Eva....

May 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  8. Dawn

I am the only one in my family who likes guacamole, how can I make if for one person so it doesn't turn brown???

May 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Reply
  9. erich2112x

Not bad, I love a good avocado shrimp cocktail..

May 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  10. nutley

Oh, guac, thought they were talking about the taco

May 6, 2011 at 11:36 am | Reply
  11. AJ

MY recipe is EASIER and BETTER! Mash 2 avocados with 1 Tablespoon onion flakes, 1 Tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice, 1 scant teaspoon of salt, and several drops of Tabasco sauce. Done. YUM!

We have an avocado tree in our back yard and make this every summer.

May 6, 2011 at 11:10 am | Reply
  12. Liz

Real Mexican guacamole does not have cumin, coriander or chili powder in it! It has real cilantro and real serrano or jalapeño chilis. :-)

May 6, 2011 at 11:07 am | Reply
  13. Mexican't

Hola! ¿Qué es Gaucamole?

May 6, 2011 at 10:27 am | Reply
  14. JMH

One ingredient I haven't seen mentioned...bacon. I learned this from a wonderful Latino lady I knew many years ago. Cook 2-3 pieces of REAL bacon in the microwave between paper towels (to absorb the fat) until almost brunt, then crumble real fine and add to your guacamole – it adds a great flavor!!! Do not use the pre-made bits, yuck!

May 6, 2011 at 10:02 am | Reply
  15. Rock

yeah yeah yeah...wheres the pic of her making it?

May 6, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
  16. citizenUSA

Who'd eat if she was your wife?

May 6, 2011 at 8:28 am | Reply
  17. Melissa

The recipe doesn't call for pico de gallo in addition to tomatoes. The ingredients for the pico are simply listed after the "recipe to follow" indication. This is an important distinction because as some of you have already mentioned, you want the taste of the guacamole to be simple. If you add too many tomatoes, you will wind up with salsa, not guacamole.

May 6, 2011 at 5:29 am | Reply
  18. FATTY v.1.6

whatever i make better guac than that . way to plug her. damn i wanna plug her too tho i dont blame you.
    still she prolly just has her immigrant maid do all the prep work

May 6, 2011 at 5:08 am | Reply
    • Jerv

Is 1.6 the lengh of your peniz in mm?

May 6, 2011 at 8:30 am | Reply
      • sean

No, that is his IQ.

May 6, 2011 at 8:32 am | Reply
  19. Soleada

Also, i saw Eva's guacamole recipe in one of those gossip mags & it called for Serrano peppers instead of jalepenos.

May 6, 2011 at 1:26 am | Reply
  20. Soleada

Lol my fiancee (who is from Hidalgo state, MX) Doesnt put onions or tomatoes in his Guacamole – the few times he makes it. Or seasonings really lol. Just avocado, fresh chopped jalepeno, cilantro, garlic, lime juice & maybe salt & pepper ...

May 6, 2011 at 1:20 am | Reply
    • grumpygramma

Exactly! I have a lot of Mexican friends and they never add a lot of stuff to gauc- it's basically avocado with maybe a little lemon or lime to reduce discoloration,
      since you are dipping with salty chips why do you need more salt in the gauc? I love it becuase it perfectly compliments the spiciness of the other food on the plate Same with sour cream

May 6, 2011 at 3:25 am | Reply
  21. Dave B

Cilantro stinks but otherwise, that looks like a good recipe

May 6, 2011 at 12:14 am | Reply
  22. Panties

OMG! Sounds soooooooooo delicious. Yummy.

May 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  23. Popeye

I'd chew on that. My clan avoids dried spices for salsas an fresh dips like this. I recommend dropping the chilli powder (no heart) and replace it with a quarter or half of a fresh, finely chopped habanero. Seriously, it ain't the heat, it's the flavor and chilli powder brings little of that to the table.

May 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  24. GHale

No, way too much junk in that recipe. That's bad guacamole used to hide bad avocados.

May 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  25. TxLatino

I personally like to use the juice from half an orange.

May 5, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  26. Liz

I agree with everyone else. Keep it simple, i.e. avacados + lime juice + salt/pepper + diced red onion. To give it extra volume I often also add sour cream and to give if that extra wow factor, I add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce (hot sauce) & cilantro if I have it

May 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  27. Linda

When you want some guac in 2 minutes, mix Herdez Salsa Casera (spicy or med) with ripe avacados. The Casera has all the other stuff in it and it's chunky. Also made in Mexico (not New York City!). You will be surprised how good it tastes – especially after a nice Cadillac Margie.

May 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Reply
    • Zena

Couldn't agree more about Herdez Salsa Casera. So easy to open the little can and mash in a couple of avocados. Delicioso!!!

May 6, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
  28. DianD

Good recipe. But if you don't have all the ingredients, just mash em up and sprinkle salt on it...DELISH!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Reply
  29. Dizzyd

Mmm... GUACAMmmOLE!!! I could eat it ALL day. (Sigh)

May 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  30. T3chsupport

That seems complicated.
    I just get some lime and cilantro and avacados, maybe some Rotell or salsa, whatever is around, mash it all together til it looks right, dash salt and garlic powder til it tastes right. Don't be afraid to really get in there with that lime.

May 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  31. Charlotte

oh, right and YES GARLIC!!! It's always in proper guacamole.

May 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  32. Charlotte

Yes, this is nearly perfect but leave out the chile powder and the pico de gallo. Guacamole is not supposed to be hot. Otherwise, this is THE only way to make it. Other stuff that has dairy or mayo in it is just avocado dip – not real guacamole.

May 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  33. Where's the garlic???

No way! Keep it simple. I make a paste of fresh garlic and salt, add copious quantities of lemon juice, then chopped red onion and mash in some avocado (leave it a little chunky). That's it! Soooooooo good!!!

May 5, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Reply
  34. CQGS

Just made it! Awesome!!! Eva, you are a lifesaver since my other guacamole recipes just didn't hit the spot. This one is a winner!!

May 5, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  35. Dee

Avocados, lime juice, chopped tomatoes, salt, cilantro (optional). Badda bing badda boom.

May 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Reply
    • JJ

Perfect. Love cilantro, but not in my guacamole.

May 5, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  36. Whackamoley

No garlic?!!!! Bad guac.

May 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  37. bev

You really don't need SO much for great guacamole. All you need is salt and garlic powder, both to taste, and then diced onion and tomatoes-either/and/or/both as to preference and cilantro if you like it....that's really all you need, nothing more, simple! Why would you add pico-de-gallo as well, when that is usually tomatoes, onion, cilantro and the spices mentioned in the recipe...there's no need, go simple as stated!

May 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Reply
    • Charlotte

garlic powder???? Sacre dieu, I'd never use that cr@p in anything that I really care about. Fresh, crushed garlic only.

May 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  38. jillmarie

Sounds yummy- if I left out the cilantro. That stuff smells like soap and tastes unappealing to me.

May 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • Wastrel

jillmarie, it's genetic. Cilantro does taste soapy to some people. If you're making this recipe, it should have more jalepenos (one is LAME) , fresh garlic, cumin seed which you grind up yourself between your fingers, not the powdered stuff, no coriander, and serve the pico de gallo on the side) then serve the cilantro on the side for those people who like it. Now that we KNOW that it's not a person's imagination that causes him to dislike cilantro, you should NEVER include the cilantro in the finished dish unless you know that everyone who will eat it will like it. And.... by the way I doubt that Eva Longoria knows anything about food or cooking and I wonder where she got this recipe.

May 5, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Reply
  39. nancy rodriguez

eva longoria's guacamole recipe.

May 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  40. Troy from S'port

NO NO NO NO NO Do NOT put cilantro in your guacamole or pico de gallo. It tastes like formaldehyde smells.

May 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Reply
    • HeyEugene

If you don't like cilantro, leave it out. It's an optional condiment, nothing to get so excited about just because you hate it. Lots of people love it and can't imagine their guac without it. I happen to be in that group, but you are welcome to choose the other group. (It doesn't taste like formaldehyde smells. You just don't like it.)

May 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Reply
    • Charlotte

yes, yes, yes on the cilantro if you want it to be authentic. But if you just want it to 'be' and you don't like cilantro then modify as per your gringo taste!

May 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Reply
      • Messican

It has nothing to do with being a gringo. I am not a "gringo", very much Mexican, but I DO NOT like cilantro or jalepenos. Stereotyping someone because of their likes of food is ridiculous...

May 6, 2011 at 10:04 am | Reply
      • Messican

*jalapenos

May 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
      • Jerv@Messican

Tad touchy there, huh?

May 6, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
    • Marc

I've always noticed that there's no in-between for folk's taste for Cilantro. People ether love it or they absolutely hate it. I happen to love the stuff.

May 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Reply
      • Zena

Cilantro/coriander love it or hate it, Same goes for licorice/ aniseed and even for cats. I love ;'em

May 6, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
      • No 2 Cilantro

I've tried to like cilantro but it tastes metallic to me. I heard somewhere that the reaction I have to it is a genetic thing. Maybe that's why the feelings on it are so polarizing.

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 am | Reply
  41. dude

i want to eat that guacamole off of eva's bald little mound

May 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Reply
    • Smiller

Really dude?

May 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Reply
      • Agree!

I totally agree...

May 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Reply
      • Agree!

With the original comment of consuming said guacamole to find her as the plate!!

May 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Reply
    • Robert

Perhaps next Cinco de Mayo we can meet for lunch: she can bring the guacomole, and I will bring the meat for the taco.

May 6, 2011 at 9:59 am | Reply
      • Flippity Flappity

How about a double stuffed taco?

May 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • joey

your a PIG

May 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  42. Lin

My recipe is similar: 4 Ripe Avacados, 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (or lime), 8 dashes of hot pepper sauce, 1/2 cup diced red onion, 1 large garlic clove minced, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper, 1 medium tomato seeded and small diced (I use Roma tomatoes, cut the top off and squeeze, most of the seeds come out). Cut avacados in half and remove pits and scoop into large bowl. Add lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well and add additional salt and pepper to taste.

May 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Reply
  43. bob

heard her taco rocks as well.

May 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • Spendlove

And her dutch apple pie is to die for..

May 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  44. Suez

This looks good, but way overcomplicated! Keep the guac simple and fresh, and it will taste awesome. I whip it together a few types a month and don't measure a thing.

May 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Reply
    • Charlotte

Nobody who already knows how to make it will measure anything, nor need a recipe. This was for those who don't know how to make it. I agree a couple of the ingredients were unnecessary – chile powder, pico de gallo and really the coriander since you have cilantro. Besides, coriander and cumin together starts tasting too much like garam masala. And they forgot the fresh garlic.

May 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Reply
  45. iMark

What are guacamole rocks?

May 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Reply
    • Kate

I can't stop laughing at this! :)

May 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • izzy

Are you serious?

May 6, 2011 at 10:54 am | Reply
  46. Mildred

That's a decent looking guac recipe.

And I need a molcajete....

May 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Reply
    • Charlotte

Absolutely, molcajete! And if you want it served like they do in Zihuatanejo, then it should be a huge mountain of guacamole and everyone gets two chips that simply serve as shovels, LOL!

May 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  47. Jerv

Yeah, now were talking. Thanks for the guac recipe and the photo, E Editors.

May 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Reply
    • David in Corpus

I went to school with her here in Corpus. Guacamole is not what she was known for, BJ's were.
      I'd say she belongs in Hollywood, but plenty of other chicks shared that in common with her. At least she was hot, most of the sl^ts in this town were fat, even the ones who were thin still had mishapen legs, must be a hispanic thing.

May 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply