Royal Wedding: What's for lunch?
April 29th, 2011

The wedding dress mystery has been solved, the "I will's" have been exchanged, and the much-awaited balcony kiss has been shared.

After months and months of planning, William and Catherine, now known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge respectively, are tucked away in Buckingham Palace with around 650 guests for a lunchtime reception hosted by Her Majesty the Queen.

Guests at the wedding reception will sip on Pol Roger NV Brut Réserve Champagne and nibble on a selection of canapés, including:

• Cornish Crab Salad on Lemon Blini
  • Pressed Duck Terrine with Fruit Chutney
  • Roulade of Goats' Cheese with Caramelised Walnuts
  • Assortment of Palmiers and Cheese Straws
  • Scottish Smoked Salmon Rose on Beetroot Blini
  • Miniature Watercress and Asparagus Tart
  • Poached Asparagus Spears with Hollandaise Sauce for Dipping
  • Quails Eggs with Celery Salt
  • Scottish Langoustines with Lemon Mayonnaise Pressed Confit of Pork Belly with Crayfish and Crackling
  • Wild Mushroom and Celeriac Chausson
  • Bubble and Squeak with Confit Shoulder of Lamb
  • Grain Mustard and Honey-Glazed Chipolatas
  • Smoked Haddock Fishcake with Pea Guacamole
  • Miniature Yorkshire Pudding with Roast Fillet of Beef and Horseradish Mousse
  • Gâteau Opera
  • Blood Orange Pâté de Fruit
  • Raspberry Financier
  • Rhubarb Crème Brûlée Tartlet
  • Passion Fruit Praline
  • White Chocolate Ganache Truffle
  • Milk Chocolate Praline with Nuts
  • Dark Chocolate Ganache Truffle

All the ingredients for the more than 10,000 canapés prepared were sourced locally from the United Kingdom and from Royal Warrant holding companies, according to Clarence House.

For a sweet ending, the couple will slice into an eight-tiered traditional fruit cake adorned with 900 iced flowers. The cake was designed by Leicestershire-based baker Fiona Cairns.

A chocolate biscuit cake by McVitie's Cake Company will also be served as a groom's cake, which was specially requested by Prince William.

Full coverage: Royal Wedding 2011

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. janie jo james

What a joke. Who the hell made up this menu, da queen? Talk about much ado about nothing. Mama Middleton may live to rue the day she encouraged her daughter to go to the same college as the prince. Just the menu alone would make a normal person quake in their boots. Such excess!!!

May 3, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  2. jenn

Wish I could see pics of this

May 1, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  3. jo an

Yes...the poor could have benefited from the money spent but I'd rather see it spent of dresses and flowers and food, than on weapons!! My only comment about the Royals is that there should be a lottery...and the cast changes....maybe keep the Queen...I'd like to have seem more PEOPLE OF COLOR...where where they, not even in the kitchen...

April 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  4. PBLover

I just found out William was at Eton - I'm surprised they don't have Eton mess on the menu!

April 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  5. sdoj

"Bangers and Mash" are another name for sausages and ashed potatoes bubble and squeak is a meal made form leftover Cabbage, bacon, ham, onion and potatoes like left over sunday dinner for brits !!!

April 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  6. Dennis2547

Nice menu, especially the assortment for goat cheese's (formage de chevee) Yummy. Now a nice red wine from Saint Emillion – say my personal favorite (rip JPNoyer) Grand Mayne 1988. Add and assortment of fresh fruits and then some wedding cake. You have to have dessert. Those two young folks really look in Love. Nothing like Charles. Diana raised her son's so well. You can see it in his manners and respect for his wife Kate. Long, healthy life you two.
    A retired US Army veteran from Northern CA

April 29, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  7. Unruellie

What is Bubble and Squeak? It doesnt sound very appetizing....come to think of it....not alot of this stuff does! Blame the English! (jk I LOVE Englad...a little fed up with all this Wedding coverage though)

April 29, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Unruellie

Correction...England*

April 29, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  8. Dennis2547

A retired US Army veteran from Northern CA

April 29, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  9. JBJingles

Here's the run down on a couple of these:
    Bubbles 'n Squeak – Left over meat or sausage and potatoes fried up in a pan (makes a bubbles and squeaks while cooking).
    Spotted dick – Angel food cake or pound cake with raisens.
    toad in the hole – sausage fried up with a batter poured over it and baked
    I've had the bubbles in squeak and it was quite good. Pub fish and chips were the best thing I ate in London though.

April 29, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  10. Marge

Glad you don't really have to eat or taste everything. I'd go for the bubble and squeak I love cabbage and then the beef nothing else sounds good me me except the chocolate for dessert. UGH

April 29, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  11. Taylor

sounds delicious YUM!

April 29, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  12. Tuoni

No Fish-N-Chips?! What kind of wedding is that?!

April 29, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  13. PBLover

No bangers and mash, no bloaters or kippers, no faggots, no toad-in-the-hole. Also no gooseberry fool or jam roly-poly. Oh, the oversight! Everything else on the menu sounds lovely, but I would be happy to just have authentic fish and chips with mushy peas! Best wishes to the newlyweds!

April 29, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • RichardHead

I concur..It's just not the same without the faggots swishing around the plate.

April 29, 2011 at 11:00 am |
      • PBLover

Depending on how they are made, faggots can be considered a type of forcemeat balls - I'm not even going to try to analyze that one!

April 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  14. Snowbunny

What? No prime rib?
    I wish them the best. They are a beautiful couple...

April 29, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  15. Kel

RichardHead~ there was no spotted dick but there was Bubble and Squeak with Confit Shoulder of Lamb. If your gonna be sarcastic get your facts straight! lol jk

April 29, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  16. Nikki

It was beautiful how the sun cane out just as she stepped out of the car, it was almost like Diana, was giving her son her blessing from above. Very beautiful couple, I wish them all the best in their life together.

April 29, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  17. Meh

Oh hahaha. I like how they have literaly covered the entire homepage with just this mess. Good job cnn. This is all I ever wanted to see.

April 29, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • Truth, Temporary Bachelor

Meh, we have immediate seating available in the stfu cafe.

April 29, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  18. PBLover

I think the Scottish Langoustines and the Pressed Confit of Pork Belly must be separate menu items. I can't imagine the two combined into one dish!

April 29, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  19. Mildred

Finally! I wanted to know about the food... dinner as well! Don't you slouch on that for us either!

April 29, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  20. Marty

God bless them both.

April 29, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  21. Rebecca O.

I really hope we get some press pictures out of this. This is seriously all I care about.

April 29, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Mildred

I want pictures too!

April 29, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Sarah LeTrent

We aim to please and will keep our eyes peeled for them! Stay tuned.

April 29, 2011 at 10:33 am |
      • Mildred

Oh, I figure that you'll get pictures out as soon as you have them. Gods, what I wouldn't give for the recipes either!

April 29, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  22. RichardHead

What--No spotted dick or Bubbles and Squeek? I Never!!

April 29, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • RC

From above;
      # Bubble and Squeak with Confit Shoulder of Lamb

April 29, 2011 at 10:31 am |
      • RichardHead

Thank You,wasn't looking with my good eye.

April 29, 2011 at 10:33 am |
      • Emma

Bubble and Squeak – is a cabbage, ham, onion (left over veggies) dish
        Bangers and Mash – good old & classic 'meat and potatoes'

Royals, I tell ya!! what a great menu!! :) Happy Wedding Day Duke & Duchess! :)

April 29, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • PBLover

Bubble and Squeak with Confit Shoulder of Lamb is on the menu (about halfway down). I don't see Bangers and Mash, though.

April 29, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Kel

April 29, 2011 at 10:38 am |
      • rch1559

Please, someone educate a yank. What the heck is "bangers and mash" and "spotted dick"? I really wish that there was a translation for the entire menu.

April 29, 2011 at 11:22 am |
      • aubrie

Forget those!! I'm still trying to figure out Bubble and Squeek!! If I were to venture a guess.... Mouse cooked in champagne?????

April 29, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • April

Cant you read? They have bubbles and squeak! Nothing on the menu sounded very appetizing though...

April 29, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • LuLu

They had spotted dick. Prince Philip was there.

April 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,987 other followers