Beaucoup buck for beans – coffee prices climb
April 27th, 2011

Consumers got a jolt this week with news that the price of coffee was hovering near $3 a pound, the highest price in more than three decades, forcing many coffee houses to consider raising prices or cutting services.

Bad weather in the world's top coffee growing regions, a weak dollar and pressure from emerging coffee drinking markets is putting pressure on the industry, which saw coffee beans trading Tuesday at about $3 a pound - just below its peak of $3.22 a pound on Friday.

The last time coffee prices were higher was in 1977 after bad weather in Brazil, one of the world's leading coffee producers, destroyed more than half of the country's coffee crops.

"We've been hit hard for close to year now," said Martin Diedrich, owner of Kean Coffee houses in Southern California. "I can't always ask what I need to because I get push back from my guests, from my customers. So I have to take a margin hit."

Read - Say it ain't so for a cup o' joe: Price of coffee beans climb

Posted by:
Filed under: Big Business • Business and Farming News • Coffee • News • Sip

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Matias Zeledon

Good coffee will always be expensive, the problem is the cheaper consumer brands that are heavily blended with sometimes 97% fillers, those are going up in price tremendously because their huge profit margin relied heavily in the huge percentage of cheap beans and even those are more expensive now.

Bottom line, commercial coffee is going to taste even worse because the blends are going to include even cheaper beans and they are going to be heavily roasted to mask the low quality and the uneven quality of the blend.

My coffee went up $1 per pound, not even an 8% increase, but brands like Maxwell House and Folgers have gone up 80%. Do the math.

May 5, 2011 at 11:21 am | Reply
    • Patrick@Matias Zeledon

I had the best coffee with a pimento cheese sandwich while vacationing in Italy.

May 5, 2011 at 11:33 am | Reply
      • Matias Zeledon

Cool! I always say that no country has the exclusive on great coffee, not Colombia, not Brazil, not Costa Rica. It is all about regions within the country. Just like that, there are countries that have impacted the processing of coffee and Italy is one of those. Most of the traditional names of coffee drinks are in Italian, so there has to be a reason for it.

Favoring the lighter roasts, and assuming that the coffee you had in Italy was very dark roasted, so I would vote for the Pimento cheese sandwich as the element that made the combo amazing. LOL.

Keep traveling and keep enjoy good food. I always say that i remember where i have been for what i have eaten.

May 8, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
  2. Naomi

All the more reason to roast one's own at home! I am concerned about those foreign objects in the picture of the coffee. They look like slivered almonds.

April 27, 2011 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • Matias Zeledon

Naomi, i will be more concerned about the excesive roasting of those beans, they have so much oil in the surface that they must taste like burning hell. If you look carefully, they just came out from the roaster, you can see the exhaust of the cooling bin in the top of the picture, which means that the oils precipipated during the roasting...bad practice.

I think that the almonds and the oil in the surface are elements they played with to make the picture "pretty".

Keep on roasting!

May 5, 2011 at 11:24 am | Reply
  3. RichardHead

Guess I'm gonna have to pimp out WD while on the road so I can afford my coffee habit.

April 27, 2011 at 10:26 am | Reply
    • Queen of Everything@Richard

Not that I don't think that WD wouldn't fetch top dollar but I'm pretty sure that prostituting your dog is illegal in most states. Maybe not in Texas though, they do all kinds of weird stuff down there.

April 27, 2011 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • Snowbunny@RH

I'd laugh my @ss off if you ended up with 10 little WD's running around! :)

April 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply