April 12th, 2011

Previously – Lunchtime poll – should schools rule kids' lunches?

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food Politics • News • School Lunch • TV-CNN Newsroom

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. kyle

might as well tell the mom what the kids eat for dinner.
    I understand people need to make better choices on what they can do in life. But whose job is it
    to raise your kid, is it the parents job or is it the schools? if the argument is that this is to benifit
    students health then it should be the parents job to decide what the kid eats, not the schools.
    its no buisness of the school to decide what your kids eat. Thats what happens when government
    gets too big, it gets control over your life. do I tell you what you should do with your money
    once you've earned it, or how much you should spend. You tell me, it's your life ???

January 26, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  2. Gonzo666

Everyday this sick joke of an Administration Steps on every Americans Rights and when They aren't the ones putting the Jack Boots to our necks They stand by and do nothing when Sub govt does.

April 30, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Tight Budget

So, are they going to pay for it?

April 30, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  4. Theo

The corporations and the school system are in bed together. They don't want your kids to bring lunches because it would impact their bottom line. I'll bet you school systems get kickbacks and well positioned officials are paid off. The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

April 24, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  5. mom of three

What about: vegetarians, muslims, jews, lactose intolerant, celiac disease, food allergies, picky kids who wont eat that crap, overweight or underweight kids, organic kids, and everyone else who has special diets?

April 23, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  6. LB

I agree that children should always have the option of bringing their home cooked or prepared lunch to school. School lunches are disgusting not to mention unhealthy for the most part. I have a severly allergic child who requires special meals and it's up to me to ensure that my child does not get sick. I think that schools should not take this choice away from parents and the kids themselves. Childhood obesity is on the increase, did they pause to think about that? Or they want all children to eat the bland crap they serve? When my child takes his home prepared meal at least i know what he's eating.

April 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  7. Rebel With a Fork

My daughter always chose to take her lunch. You didn't have to stand in the lines, you had more time to eat, and it tastes better. This policy doesn't make sense. Most of the kids who are brown bagging are doing it because their parents care enough to pack a decent lunch.

I suppose on the other hand, if hte school is only offering healthier foods, the bratty kids who run their families will probably demand that their favorites be packed for them. But its not fair to punish the parents who are trying to feed their kids better foods.

Lets face it, healthy or not, its still going to be a school lunch. I'm not expecting miracles when it comes to tasty, are you?

April 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  8. Father of four

Being in the "supplement" industry, and a 20 year consumer of healthier foods, Animal Science BSc, with a nutrition background, I am really disgusted by industrialized foods, and I mean this from the corporate farm to the supermarket "ready-to-eat" microwave/oven in 10 minutes meals. Americans feed their mascots higher quality foodstuff. Alpo dog food has been higher quality food than Dinty Moore's stews for 30 years!
    Just watch Food Inc, and Supersize me in youtube.com

April 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  9. MadDog

Childhood obesity is caused by bad parenting. Bad parents eat junk food themselves and they don't know to cook simple foods. If you are already fat, lazy, loud and stupid you deserve a kid that takes after you ! Its time to teach kids to dump their parents by calling the police and reporting child abuse. Stupid begets stupid.

April 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Snowbunny

Mad at the world much?

April 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  10. Mom of Three

Parents can not allow schools to take away our decision making power with our children anymore. This is unbelievable! I raised three, healthy, non-overweight children and made lunches everyday (as well as a hot breakfast and dinner). School lunches are horrible and not nutritious, they are full of perservatives and empty calories. We live in a rural area and are very active so my kids needed more calories. How can a school decide what my child needs when their desicions are made by an employee who is planning menus based on budjet, lowest contract bidders, food preservation longevity, and ease of preparing. If it is a private school trying to ban homemade lunches and it was not in the original contract you signed with them it is breach of contract, withhold payment til it changes. If it is a public school then band with other parents and go to school board meetings and be heard. If they won't listen then seek legal counsel and file suit. Stop letting these idiots take away our RIGHTS!

April 16, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  11. Mama

This is up there with the story a few years ago of where kids were being graded in school on their weight. I remember watching it on the news. The principle of the school was about 40-50 lbs over weight herself and the gym teacher was not fit or in shape by any means. One little boy, who had thyroid and digestion issues, failed ninth grade because, "He was too fat." He had C's and a few B's in his other classes but, failed him for his weight. They should never tell parents that they can not pack their child a lunch. The child may be on a special diet, a picky eater. If they want to force children to eat at school then the schools need to stop buying processed foods. Do you, as a parent, know how much a school would save if the lunch ladies would go down to the Farmers Market and buy veggies and fruit from them and stop at a butcher to get meats? Ex: Where I live at the local grocery store Fresh Green Beans are $1.56 a lb, at the Farmers Market just outside of town Fresh Green Beans are $0.98 a lb. Do the math. It is not hard to cook this stuff!!

April 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  12. Teacher

As with anything else the g'ovt does, follow the money. This isn't about nutrition, it's about schools receiving money based on the number of meals prepared (not eaten, they couldn't care less if the students eat the stuff.) Its about MONEY.

April 14, 2011 at 9:33 am |
    • 1Love

hit the nail on the head!!!

April 14, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  13. randal conover

Packing lunchs for our children and sending them off to school is part of the family structure. its something kids look forward too. keep the lunches.

April 14, 2011 at 3:09 am |
  14. small dog trucking at myspacedotcom

maybe they should make educating mandatory.......

April 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  15. AK

Comrades! Worry about nothing! The State will feed you!

(cue 'the Internationale')

April 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  16. Karla

While I think families should have the ultimate say, keep in mind that schools and teachers have a vested interest in the nutrition of their students. As a teacher, I want my students to eat healthy because their sugar, carbohydrate, and fat intake affects them in so many ways – their attention span, their ability to sustain focus on a task, their self-confidence, how their peers perceive them.....so many things that have a direct impact on their learning. We live in a time where test scores are of the utmost importance and families are not held as accountable as teachers and school districts. One way (of many) that parents can have a positive impact on their child's education is to make sure they are eating nutritious food throughout the day.

April 13, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  17. Snowbunny

Uh oh.... here we go again!

April 13, 2011 at 9:37 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Saw this last night. Not sure why this was posted twice. The readers have beat this up pretty good on the first report. Drives reader traffic, I guess. X)

April 13, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

The video was new & I thought it deserved its own post so it wouldn't get buried. That's all.

April 13, 2011 at 9:40 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants@Kat

I was giving you guys crap. It's what I figured. =D

April 13, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  18. Whenin....

The real deal is parents passing off their responsibilities to fast food chains, schools, television and technology. Parents have taken the low easy road and now they want to complain about the leadership in schools and the like. I say, get off your lazy arses and get involved in your school district and it's nutritional and fitness attitudes toward physical education, providing a healthy food alternatives, tutoring, afterschool activities, school books and supplies, bullying, gangs, peer pressure, sex education, college prep and SAT, ACT prep classes starting in 9th grade. AND teacher pay!!! Of course a school district SHOULD NOT dictate what a child can bring to school for lunch, their main concern should be that children have available Breakfast AND Lunch of significant nutritional value while at school. Take the soda and processed snack machines out of the schools!!!

April 13, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  19. JS

A better question would be–'Do schools have the right to dictate what students eat?' The answer, of course, is NO.

April 13, 2011 at 7:42 am |
    • Alexander

Thank you!

April 30, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  20. TexasNative

What a joke. I mean come on Chicago. I am glad I don't live there. Unfortunately some parents wont have a choice to take their kids out of school but I would if that happened here.

April 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • dankie

please take your child out of public school so my taxes go down.

April 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  21. Lyons

President Obama did not sign any law that said the school districts could dictate what a child eats...the school districts that have done that, did that on their own. While First Lady Obama has taken up this cause, I highly doubt she is telling the school districts to form a policy of preventing parents from sending lunches from home with their children to school. The school district(s) are doing this on their own. This is not the President's fault, nor even the First Lady, regardless that this is her issue. Should the schools improve their lunch programs? Hell yes, but I do not for one minute believe that homemade lunches should be banned. Should there be education on healthy eating (across the board, with parents, and the caferteria administrators, hell yes...) I am appalled for a number of reasons at what has been passing for a school lunch since I graduated high school...I have felt bad for my friends and family that have to jump through hoops with their schools for whatever food restrictions...no this, no that because of whatever food allergies some children have...but not once did I blame President Bush(es) or Clinton and I'm certainly not going to blame this President or the First Lady, just because it might be convenient to do so since the issue of childhood obesity is the First Lady's cause while she's the First Lady. I have been appalled to find out that many school districts took away recess for elementary schools and/or did away with P.E. and then with the quality of school lunches going way down, people wonder why there is a problem with childhood obesity. And it's not all the schools' fault either. Too many people have gone the easy way of pulling up to the drive thru...lord knows I did back in the 90's and I'm still working to get the weight off...

The state we find ourselves in with obesity in general and childhood obesity in particular is not the President's fault...

April 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • TexasNative

Even if Obama encouraged it, the state and city should have the ultimate authority to decide. I see this as a way to take even more rights and control from parents. We as parents are losing our rights more and more by the day and it usually starts with seemingly good intentions. The Government does not think we are capable of policing ourselves. We still have some rights provide to us by the Constitution but given time those will go away too.

April 12, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • HistoryGeek

I agree with you completely. What the first lady is doing is EDUCATION not restrictions or requirements. The right wing is taking everything the Obama's do and lie about it.

April 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  22. SickOfObama

What is obama gona do next ? Come in the restrroom and make sure we wipe ?

April 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • TexasNative

Don't speculate, it may one day happen.

April 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • HistoryGeek

And just how did Obama make this restriction in Chicago? Dislike the president if you wish, but don't say stupid things that have no basis in fact or knowledge of how our government works.

April 30, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  23. LAW

The only way we would do that is if the lunches are free and offer a minimum of two choices and a salad bar. The lunches our school serves are less healthy than the soup, sandwiches and wraps I send my kids with. On top of that I can pack a healthier lunch for less than they charge. Today my son's school served 1 small hash brown, 6 chicken nuggets (un-breaded, looked like mystery meat) and a small cup of fruit for $1.50. That isn't my idea of a healthy lunch.

April 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • TexasNative

I agree with you but don't you get it? "They" don't think you are smart enough to give your kids a healthy lunch. They think obesity starts in the home. Surely it does but does that mean you have to be punished for others? Yes it does because even though it's your choice to feed yourself with whatever you want, others out there think they are more capable of taking care of you and your family. I can't remember who said it but someone once said, "If someone says there ought to be a law...Then probably there shouldn't be a law." I believe it was an episode of Penn & Teller's BS.

April 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Kimberly

I agree with u 100%. My son eats at school 9 times out of 10 but the lunches he eats is not what I consider the best foods for him. Most the meals on his lunch menu include things that i consider carnival food, that stuff u eat when u dont care how bad it is for u. Foods like nachos, corn dogs, chicken fingers and fries. When foods like that are offered I send a lunch. If schools start demanding that the kids eat at school then a major overhaul needs to be done to the budget they have to spend for food so they can buy healthier things. Also with so many food allergies these days, including ones that my own son has, you can not offer enough choices to make sure everyone is safe. Cross contamination happens more than u think.

April 13, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  24. Karen

Should schools ban homemade lunches? H no! There are dietary restrictions for some, calorie restrictions for others, and economic restrictions for more. Bottom line, stop stepping on people's freedoms. If you think a child isn't getting enough of the proper foods to eat, that's a conversation to have with that child because chances are there are other problems as well.

April 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • TexasNative

No kidding and I am sure I even could poke holes in their lunch's nutritional value. I am sure most of the food they serve is highly processed fodder.

April 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
Next entry »
« Previous entry
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,395 other followers