Fame Bites - Russell Simmons
April 12th, 2011

Fame Bites goes inside the belly of the entertainment beast. We're dishing out where the celebrities are eating, what they're eating and who they're eating with.

Hip hop impresario Russell Simmons has just come out with a new book called "Super Rich: A Guide to Having It All." The book's message is just as it sounds: you can have it all, but "all" isn't necessarily what you think it is - it's a state of enlightenment.

Part of that spiritual richness includes treating your body as a temple, Simmons says - which is why the self-made multi-millionaire and co-founder of Def Jam Records is a devoted vegan.

You weren’t raised vegan – when and why did you make the transition?
“You learn as you get older. Whatever you may come into this earth and be - you could be a gang member, a drug dealer, a drug addict, you could be an alcoholic at night - and one day you can discover you like the morning meditation more than the late-night drinking, and you find relief in following what you know is the right thing. You find relief and then gain faith that it’s the right thing.

We already know from our parents and from the prophets and promoters of the scripture, whether they're rabbis or imams or whatever, they promote to you certain choices in life. They said dominion over the animals and doing the least amount of harm - which is a very first thing in the Yogi scripture, dominion over the animals. So, you learn these things and then you actually get experience that they work. You learn that you don’t eat pigs’ feet. I used to eat pigs’ feet and chitlins. I used to do a lot of things; I evolved. I found things that are healthier and made me feel better, and I had faith in them.

There wasn’t the short term high of doing what was against the scripture, it’s the long-term satisfaction that you get – and the real lasting, almost-stable, happiness that you get when you have a life diet. After yoga class, the teacher says go out and put something in your body that promotes a better practice. And if you’ve done a really aggressive class and you chanted and you sang and you did all these things and they said put something in your body – I don’t want to put a steak in me. You can’t. You can’t possibly after twisting and all these things you do for your digestive system and all these things you do to make your body feel better. You take care of your temple.

And then all the things you hear? Fifteen billion farm animals are born into suffering. You want to cause less harm, which is the very first thing in the Yogi scripture. There are eight different parts of the practice, and the first part is the social laws - and the first thing is not harming.

You know that all the oil, a lot of the oil the army doesn’t take up, goes to making that food you eat, a lot of the grain, a lot of the water. The grain is causing more global warming over all the trains, planes and automobiles put together – and the worst Karmic disaster in the history of human kind.

All those things put together – and it makes you sick. After all that, maybe you can decide not to on your own.

You hear these things in passing and by practicing next to people who talk about it and digest it - you find these things to be true, but you also feel lighter and happier when you test the diet itself. So that’s why I’m a vegan – because I’ve had experience with it, been taught about it, talked about it.

It’s a popular subject these days. I was at a vegetarian festival yesterday down in Chelsea and it was overdone, there were so many people who couldn’t get in. They miscalculated the number of people who came. The discussion between Oprah and Martha Stewart and all these people is weighing in on people who you think might never consider it. They are hearing so much about it that they’re changing their diets.”

What advice do you have for someone who is thinking about making the transition?
"You can’t jump to vegan if you’re not. Some people are absolute. Some people are able to be gradual. You know the transition from first eating red meat and pigs to not eating chicken, when you realize how they’re being raised. One day, you stop eating fish or you stop eating dairy and eggs – the next thing you know, you’re a vegan. It can happen over a period of time. I started out as a vegetarian."

And you became a vegan?
"Within a year."

What are the misconceptions about vegan food?
"It’s funny. There are two things. One your taste valves do change a bit. [You can have] a really good vegan cheesecake or a really good cashew nut ice cream.

Soy ice cream is not bad. Tofutti Cutie is not bad. You can’t beat a Tofutti Cutie. You frontin’ if you say so. You know, the cream is not as creamy – someone might not notice it, or they might if they put them together. But you find the vegan cheesecake, if you digest it, it doesn’t stick in your chest the whole day. It might be a little lighter and taste a little better, but that takes a minute.

There’s also a psychosomatic effect obviously, if you believe it’s healthier and you eat it. A lot of people can take so much green vegetable juice without apple. You drink it and you kind of feel like it’s cleaning you. You ever drink green juice, would you say it’s yummy? I don’t know. I’ve been drinking green juice a lot for a long time, but add a spark of apple, it’s kind of different.

You can learn to love green juice. You learn to love the way it feels going down – so there’s something psychosomatic about eating healthy. It’s kind of a cleansing thing, spiritually as well. That’s why you know you’re doing something for your temple – a Yogi principle. Christian, Buddhist, all faiths ask you to take care of your temple. It’s been drummed in your head a little bit, and then you eat something and you know it’s good for you. That’ll add to your practice.

You want to be healthy, you want to feel light. I’m a person who comes from a lot of drugs – for 25 years. All the drugs. All kinds of highs. Now, you find food as a drug. It’s become more subtle. Food is a drug. It makes you tired, lethargic or awake and clear. It’s inflammatory food or it's anti-inflammatory food. You start to look at your body differently. You try to become more in your body. You put things in it and know what they are – you feel that they’re uplifting your body or making the body slow. So that’s a part of it."

So, do you cook often?
"No. I get out of my class 6:15 or 6:45 class and walk right to that café JivamukTea. I go to Curry in a Hurry. There are so many places you can go to eat vegan food. If you like spicy food, you can have spicy food – you just don’t have to have meat or you don’t have to have dairy. There are so many replacements.

If you want junk, there’s plenty of vegan junk – it’s all better than the real junk. I was talking about the ice cream – I don’t eat a lot of sugar and all that stuff – but if I do, I know that most likely the vegan junk is better than the other junk.

I mostly eat healthy. I just do. I’m not a vegan for health reasons – although obviously I’m 20 pounds lighter than when I started. I stayed 20 pounds lighter. I feel better. My friends say I look better. All that’s true. But I’m a vegan for compassionate reasons.

Like I said, for the planet and for the Karma. It’s to not cause too much harm. The first part of every scripture, in terms of the science that they give for happiness, is to not cause harm. You gain happiness by eliminating or relieving suffering. You want to relieve suffering; you don’t want to be the cause. If all the oil is being used – beside what the army is using – in the manufacturing of food, we’re fighting wars over your diet. It sounds like a big stretch but it’s not when you find out the amount of oil that you use. Then you think about the global warming issue, and you think about the 15 billion animals that are born into suffering.

So all those things combined are reasons. And I feel better. I wouldn’t like real ice cream – it’d be too heavy now. It takes a second to get used the lighter alternatives. There are just so many healthy alternatives - maybe a little bit more expensive for some people. A lot of places it’s very difficult to live [vegan]. There’s a lot of economics, but still there are choices."

And what about when you go out to eat?
"I always find something. Easy. Especially in New York and Los Angeles."

Previously - Stephanie Chen talks money, bliss and much more with the hip-hop mogul

1. PAUL

I USED 2 EAT PIGS FEET AND CHITLINS DAWG, THEN MY EX WIFE TOOKS ALL MY MONEY AND WENT BACK 2 CHINA.

April 14, 2011 at 2:58 am | Reply
    • Caps Police@PAUL

C'mon dude. Learn how and when to use all caps. You're impressing no one with your ignorance.

April 14, 2011 at 7:34 am | Reply
  2. The Witty One

I can't believe I missed this.

April 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  3. RadioBoy

It's funny how everybody keeps talking about his rap career. I cant recall his music ever being Violent or Degrading to women. You people are racist. No one wants to see a successful black person. WHY!? Because that is what scares white ppl the most!

April 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Reply
    • Ali

Hallelujah! Someone finally said it. Well put Radio Boy!

April 13, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • Observer

Aaah, the race card!
      Don't leave home without it!

April 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Reply
      • Visa User@Observer

I though it was a rushcard. Y'all make up yo' d@mn minds!

April 14, 2011 at 7:29 am | Reply
    • The Witty One@RadioBoy & Ali a.k.a. Liberal Stooges

Oh Yeah! Gotta pull the race card huh? You think that bothers anyone here? If stupidity is a race then I am the most racist person I know.

April 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • The Witty One@RadioBoy & Ali a.k.a. Liberal Stooges

And have you looked at the picture? Doesn't look black to me. Sort of Mocha.

April 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Reply
    • Tazer@Radioboy

Oh yes, let's pull the race card. I wasn't aware that loathing racist pigs who advocate cop killing and beating women made me a racist. I guess you learn something every day...

April 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • Tazer@Radioboy

And, how on earth do you know who's white and who's not on a blog?
      Unnecessary.

April 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Reply
      • Ali

How on earth do you know that Russell is a "loathing racist pig who advocates cop killing and beating women"? Can anyone tell me where this is coming from?

April 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Reply
      • wendy

doesnt...most likely just making an extreme comment to keep up with rest of the crazies on here...point was made to me.

April 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Reply
      • @ Radioboy

Again, I say, I'm a vegan! You have to listen to me! I'm better than anyone else!!!!!!!

April 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Reply
      • @Ali

That's really ALL you took from that statement? Really?

Wow.

April 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I like to play Spades. They're black.

April 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Reply
      • @Jdizzle McHammerpants

You are a piece of gum under a student's desk. A janitor continues to pull at on a constant basis, which never leaves.

April 13, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Your sister tugs on me all the time, too. Good analogy!

April 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Reply
  4. wendy

i love red meat... anyone that can go 'vegan' more power to ya. i just dont see myself eating cashew ice cream...if it doesnt have cow/milk/cream in it, its not ice cream. those that are allergic, i feel for....i've had soy milk. SO not the same thing. and on a whole nother topic...dont much care for the man and his career choice...and that unfortunately taints my view of anything that comes out of his mouth. how can i listen to him talk about eating veggies when he promotes songs about killing police officers and beating up women?

April 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
    • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Wendy

I think Ali's lack of a balanced diet has hindered her ability to read...never once did I attack Simmons on his diet. I could not possibly care less if he is a vegan, an omnivore, or if he chose to live on freakin sawdust. Knock yourself out pal.

What my issue is with, is the fact that he talks abou how the body is a temple, etc, all the while promoting violence, racism and the like. That is the problem I have with the hypocrisy taht is so dear to the far left.

April 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Reply
      • wendy

i agree 100%. the way one lives their life wholly affects the way you view all else having to do with them. and yes, Ali does need to do a bit more research on her 'quotables' if she wishes for her statements to hold any water.

April 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Reply
      • Mare@Truth

That's EXACTLY what I said as well. It doesn't bother me that she's a vegan – till she started shoving it down my throat. I simply don't understand how someone can say "... you Rock!" and "...hats off" to a scum like Russell.

April 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Reply
      • AleeD@wendy again

So .... let me see if I get this ....... Ali is a colander?

April 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Hey Truth, this is the comment from you that I found offensive and why I called you a fool for judging me, not knowing anything about me:
        ---------
        You are so right ali!
        Beat your wife or girlfriend and it is all good.
        Kill babies and call it a "choice"!
        Eat a hamburger and you are a terrorist!

I LOVE the reasoning of the far left party of hate!

--------

April 13, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Reply
      • wendy@AleeD

yes....a plastic one. :D

April 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Ali

So what is false or offensive in that post?
        He promotes violence against women.
        He is also a liberal who supports abortion.
        He has awful things to say about eating meat.
        Anything false in there?

April 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Reply
      • Ali

I find you offensive full stop. End of chat.

April 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

What's funny is that Truth is one of the least offensive bloggers we know. LOL. He just doesn't sugar coat things like jo momma did when you were little. She can't save you here.

April 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Reply
    • AleeD@wendy

word (nod to JDizz)

April 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Reply

Word to the homies.

April 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • @Truth

I'm a vegan – I'm better than you. That's all that matters.

April 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor

Wow. I am stunned by such a compelling and well reasoned argument. Well done!

April 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

That's a shut down cornerback right there.

April 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  5. Ali

Hey Mare, I too find those types of self righteous, soap box vegans annoying. But I didn't think that anyone on this thread was criticizing you or looking down their noses at you – and I certainly didn't see that Russell's interview was doing that either – quite the opposite.

I got offended by the people who were looking down their noses at people like Russell, and myself for not eating animals. I never tell people what they can or should eat, nor do I every preach by principles. That's an incredibly personal subject. I don't think that I was shoving anything down anyone's throat. Just didn't find it cool that people were being so rude about those who choose a different path. I'm not one of those types and never have been, but when attacked for not eating meat, I attack back. There are a lot of people on this thread that are just plain angry which is a shame, because I found the article uplifting an inspirational.

April 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • Mare@Ali

I don't think any one was attacking you directly. They were just wondering (as I am/was) how you can glorify someone like Russell? You were the one who came out fighting when you called Truth a fool. No one even would've known you don't eat meat if you hadn't have mentioned it yourself.

To me, it sounds like you are the fool. You make comments that are controversial, yet you can't back them up with anything but the "I'm vegan... I'm better than you" argument, even though you say you don't preach to people, it sure sounds like that's what you're doing to me.

April 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Reply
      • Ali

For the tenth time, I say:
        ______________________
        Again, my insults were directed at those offensive comments about eating "pink tacos", "being leftist freaks", or Russell being a "liberal stooge" or "loony-tune" – and I still stand behind them. Seriously? This is the best argument these idiots can bring to the table? How about a dialog about the real issues?
        ______________________

I never said anyone was directly attacking me, nor did I ever say I was better than anyone else. I just find people that make statements like the one's in quotations above ignorant. And yes, I still think the people who wrote those things are knuckle draggers. It had nothing to do with you, Jerv, truth or anyone else jumping down my throat about my opinion about those idiots.

Then I get attacked for being a terrorist, killing babies, as a leftist hater. Really? I thought my comments have been civil compared to this.

I give up.

April 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Reply
      • Sir Biddle@Ali

We now have a table for one ready at The Shut the F*&^# Up Cafe. Allow me to show you to your table.

April 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Reply
      • Ali

And one other thing, what have I said that is "controversial" as you say?

April 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Reply
      • Mare@Ali

Now you're quitting? You're just giving up? When you can't "win" you quit? When the "I'm vegan, I'm better than you" argument doesn't work, you pout and stomp off like a spoiled child. It sounds like the table at The Shut the F*&^# Up Cafe needs a booster seat.

And what did you say that was controversial? Are you serious? Have you not been reading all the posts?

You are just looking for a fight, and when you get one, you back down.

April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Like Oscar Wilde quoted: "If it's a battle of wits you want, I never fight with an unarmed man" I'm not quitting. Your dialog is just getting boring. Now get back to your job at the Shut the F8&^# Cafe.

April 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Reply
      • Mare@Ali

Big tough guy that Oscar Wilde was. Funny that you should chose him to defend your position. I bet he wouldn't say no to a sausage or two.

Also funny that you say MY dialog is getting boring – you are just regurgitation everything you've said in previous posts – nothing original.

April 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Ali

Oscar Wilde is a convicted pedophile. PLEASE tell me you have something more convincing than that...

April 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Reply
      • Ali@Truth

Oscar was not a pedophile – do keep up.

April 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Reply
      • Yo Quiero Taco Bell@Ali

So now it's insulting to eat pink tacos? What's this world coming to?

April 14, 2011 at 7:13 am | Reply
    • @Ali

It seems as if everyone is ganging up on you, the comments that are made are just to get under your skin. Just let it go and not comment anymore. As Charles Darwin said, "A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." Ali be the bigger person and just let it go.

April 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Reply
      • Mare

No one was ganging up on her. Just want her to defend her opinion that Russell is a "good guy" with something other than Vegan-ism. I wouldn't care Russell went "Jeffrey Dahmer" (well, I would, but that's not the point). The point is why is she so supportive of a wife beater?

When asked that question, her response turned to the "I'm a Vegan, I'm better than you... so there". Sorry, but that's not a defense of your position.

April 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Thanks, I appreciate your support. You are right. There's no point in trying to defend yourself against such ridiculous accusations from haters. Peace out!

April 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Charles Darwin is the MOST Liberal Stooge of them all. Great naturalist, shitty theologian.

April 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  6. MalaDee@Ali-brat

You originally recommended that Russell, "Ignore all those knuckle dragging type A comments from people with an overly inflated sense of entitlement. Stick to what you believe in, that's what I say! "

The respondents to your comments ARE sticking to what they believe in and you've been been nothing but defensive and militant.

Practice what you preach and enjoy some of this stfu pie.

April 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
    • Jerv

WIN!

April 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Again, any opinion at all about veganism?

April 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Reply
    • Mare

Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!! You get the brass ring!

April 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Reply

April 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@ Ali

Once again, you posted "knuckle dragging type A comments from people with an overly inflated sense of entitlement." If if is a "dialog about the real issues" you are interested in, even with the folks that don't agree with you, that's no way to get it started.

April 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Hang out for a few days around here and you will see the light of our posts.

April 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  7. Mare@RH

LOL – I'm just listing veggies

April 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  8. Mare

This guy shouldn't be praised, he should be in jail. I could care less if he's a vegan, or vegetarian – if he "turned his life around" as some say, or not. He beat his wife, he should be in jail. He glamorized violence for so long, that he started to believe it himself.

Anyone who likes this guy, needs their head examined. The only reason he is a "good guy" now, is because he got caught, not because of a choice he made.

April 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • There is hope for Ali@Mare

I hope Ali reads your post.

April 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Reply
      • Ali

I agree with you guys about the wife beating issue. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the details of that case. I wasn't praising Russell for his past, but for the principles that he lives by today which is what this article is all about. I respect the choices he's making for himself, animals and the planet, and don't understand why people have to be so vicious about someone trying to do some good.

April 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@Ali

Probably has something to do with the old saying "leopards don't change spots."

April 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Hey Jerv, forget the leopard thing. Do you have any actual opinions on the principles of veganism, its affect on the environment & our health as described in this article?

April 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Reply
      • Mare@Ali

While I'm not anything close to vegan, I generally don't have a problem with people who are – until they try to push their beliefs on me. I am not a moron, nor am I a child. I can make my own decisions, and guess what... Pass the cow.

I have plenty of friends who are Jewish, so I don't serve them pork, Indian – no beef, various stages of vegetarianism, and I respect that. Just don't go looking down your nose at me when I'm eating a burger – which a LOT of people do.

April 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@Ali

I actually agree with a lot of the points that vegans and vegetarians make. They are correct on a lot of things, but when they start from the angle that they are better than carnivores because they don't eat meat, that is when I tune them out.

April 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Reply

EXACTLY, Jerv.

April 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  9. Ali

Russell, you rock! Ignore all those knuckle dragging type A comments from people with an overly inflated sense of entitlement. Stick to what you believe in, that's what I say! Hats off.

April 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Truth@Ali

You are so right ali!
      Beat your wife or girlfriend and it is all good.
      Kill babies and call it a "choice"!
      Eat a hamburger and you are a terrorist!

I LOVE the reasoning of the far left party of hate!

April 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Reply
      • Ali

You sound threatened and angry. Why does everyone freak out when people don't want to eat animals? Do what you want, eat what you want, I don't care what you do, so don't understand why you should. And as for your other comments regarding leftist hate, abortion and terrorism, who are you to say what I believe in? Where did that come from? You don't know anything about me, but are so quick to judge. Fool.

April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
      • Jerv@Ali

You just posted, "knuckle dragging type A comments from people with an overly inflated sense of entitlement," and you want to call him a fool? I think your comment and the word fool describes you perfectly.

April 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
      • Ali

Those insults were directed at all the readers viciously attacking Russell for not eating animals, and getting his life sorted out. Anyone who'd criticize someone for doing something good for themselves, animals or the planet, so long as it doesn't harm others is foolish.

April 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  10. Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Biddle, RichHead, JDizz

Keep in mind that Kimora Lee left Simmons and took the kids, for reasons unknown. So I am thinking that his unquestioning support of Chirs Brown is an example of one bad apple not falling too far from the tree.

April 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Perhaps, I know as much of Russell Simmons as I do only from news articles, interviews, and his business/music dealings.

April 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  11. Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Grace

For anyone who think Simmons is being sincere, read this...

More liberal hypocrisy at its finest...

April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply

Chums win again.

April 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  12. Baron Baucom

If you really want to know what Russel is talking about Then go buy the book called Consciousness,God or Light Itself is What's Vibrating! This is where he's comming from.

April 13, 2011 at 9:42 am | Reply
  13. Mary

I is amazing this guy has been successful. There must be an awful lot of stupid people out there buying his music or outdated hiphop clothes.

April 13, 2011 at 9:32 am | Reply
  14. POD

I have always thought of my body as more of an amusement park rather than a temple

April 13, 2011 at 9:00 am | Reply
  15. Truth, Temporary Bachelor

The guy made his money in the rap industry, and now claims to have found happiness in the bottom half of the ninth inning. Way to promote violence and degradation of women for personal profit!

April 13, 2011 at 8:35 am | Reply
  16. JS

Simmons is still an idiot.

April 13, 2011 at 7:41 am | Reply
  17. Trevor

Holy hell, I just lost all respect for this guy. What a loony-tune. Take your yogi principles and karmic disasters and shove 'em.

April 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  18. Jeff

Look at the man. This is an individual that has found inner happiness. There are plenty of good books by scholars known the world over in this field yet he dangled himself out there to get behind a wealth that can be shared to all that read it. He instead could have done a tell-all about his life doing drugs and having butt-nasty freaky sex that would sell 100x the number of copies...yet he chose a manual for mindfulness. I'm hoping more high profiles like him get behind this so mindfulness isn't treated like some spaced out hippie practice and it's given the proper respect for increasing inner peace and waking people the f&#k up.

April 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  19. Troy from S'port

So people who fall for drugs and religion will fall for anything!

April 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Your're correct. Only the religious are idiots, the only smart people I know are agnostics and atheists.

/sarcasm

April 12, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Reply
  20. Vinette

You know..I'm always amazed at what people actually believe in. I guess you gotta believe somethin'! It's too bad this hip-hop guru doesn't realize the purification of his 'temple' also includes his mind. But i guess those dirty lyrics don't cause "much" harm, do they!!!

April 12, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  21. Tom

I cut out all meat but fish after a check up at the turn of the year revealed I was 15 lbs over my BMI and my blood pressure was through the roof. 5 months later, I feel GREAT! i've lost the weight. cholesterol is normal and my BP is normal again. Cutting out the processed foods and factory farm meat makes me feel like I'm putting high octane fuel into my system.

But, like Russell said, it is a gradual transition. I also had some help from my vegan brother. I highly recommend it.

April 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Excellent post. Thank you for not forcing your views on us. If fish is good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

April 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Reply
      • Mark

Oh I love fairytales.

April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Mark

Well, if you love fairytales, you will just LOVE the one about how being a vegan is healthy, is less cruel, etc...

April 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  22. Chaz Romano (not real name. take that CNN)

I am not a vegan, i ate these as a toddler, THEY ROCK.

April 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Reply
  23. Pat

I love the tofutti cuties. They're like the ice cream sandwiches I had in my youth. I like them because they're non-dairy. The company's cream cheese substitute however is gross.

April 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  24. Chuck

Lost all faith in this greedy pig with that RushCard. Another selfish personality in the black community. Geez!

April 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Reply
    • @Chuck

I really cannot understand how you interpret vegan to ruschcard and the black community. Enlighten me please!

April 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  25. Michelle

I love Tufutti Cuties and I am not vegan. I also love Earth Cafe vegan cheesecake. Fabulous! Delicious!

April 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Reply
  26. Actuary1989

I eat rare steak several times a week; I make no apologies for it.

April 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Reply
    • Donald

Perhaps you have some compunctions about it and that's why you posted? Or you just wanted everyone to know that you think inside that same box that 90% of other Americans think inside of? Check out the China Study for some good reading

April 12, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Thanks for this insightful and thought provoking response. Way to think about their point if view.

April 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  27. Lila

Vegetarian or not, Tofutti cuties are really good.

April 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  28. redjewel

tofutti cuties are very good,as is purley decadent soy ice cream by turtle mountian foods.
    i cook and bake vegan daily.

April 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Reply
    • Bert

Purely Decadent is actually coconut milk ice cream–my favorite!

April 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Reply
  29. Truth

Russell Simmons is a liberal stooge. just sayin'

April 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Reply
    • Hank

He's a karma stooge.

April 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Reply
    • Donald

Yeah God forbid a rich celebrity consider the welfare of someone or something other than them self. How dare Russell give moral consideration to other beings. That's so liberal of him! He would be more American if he acted more conservative like wear a fur coat made of puppies while hunting panda bears in a fenced in area.

April 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

He said he was a vegan out of compassion. That indicates he thinks those that eat meat are not compassionate. Typical vegan moron, as most seem to be. But that is MY opinion, much he voiced his own.

Just sayin'.

April 12, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Reply
      • Hank

Interesting way of thinking, Jdizzle.

Simmons does something because of his values.

From that you conclude that Simmons believes that people who don't act the same way he does can't share those values.

So you say Simmons is being judgmental, when all he was doing was explaining himself.

And then you judge HIM for judging other people.

And from that you conclude he is a moron.

Gosh, that"s not very compassionate of you.

April 13, 2011 at 1:43 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I call 'em like I sees 'em. I'm an excellent read of people and can read between the lines VERY well. I'm sorry you can't see the pedestal I see he put himself on, though it is very subtle.

April 13, 2011 at 11:49 am | Reply
    • Grace

Um... I am fairly conservative... if you want to call it that. But, I fully believe in treating all creatures with as much kindness and as little suffering as possible. Not all, but many "conservatives" are Christian. And, I always bring up the fact that in the Garden of Eve, where everything was paradise... there were no carnivores. Adam & Eve did not eat meat. It was only after sin. I am not telling everyone to stop eating meat. But, I don't think caring for our fellow creatures automatically makes one a "liberal stooge".

April 13, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply
      • Jerv@Grace

There also were animals and birds in the Garden. Adam and Eve may have fed off of them and other wildlife. But there's no specific mention of their being encouraged to do so or of so doing. Please reference from your bible, whatever the version, where it says that "there were no carnivores." And yes, he is a liberal stooge.

April 13, 2011 at 11:06 am | Reply
      • Grace

Genesis 1:29
        Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."
        Later on... AFTER original sin...
        Genesis 9:3
        Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

So, to me this sounds like originally people were only eating the green stuff only. After that... yes, God did say eat meat. Although I doubt factory farms were part of his plan. I doubt major suffering is something God promotes.

It doesn't matter... people interpret the Bible differently.

The main point is... why do you consider "compassion" a quality only "liberal stooges" can express? I probably would agree with you if I looked into this guy's politics. There's a chance he swings very far to the left. However, this article had nothing to do with that. Fact of the matter is, factory farms are TERRIBLE places. Maybe you don't give a sh**. But, if you looked into it, you might agree that conditions are less than awesome... for both animals and workers. I am not saying give up meat. I don't tell people to do anything. But, why is this guy a bad guy because he DOES care?

April 13, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
      • Jerv@Grace

I never criticized the mans "compassion." To quote Jdizz, another poster "He said he was a vegan out of compassion. That indicates he thinks those that eat meat are not compassionate." =liberal stooge to me. You even said yourself from your own bible "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." There is nothing wrong with consuming meat and he can loose the holier than thou attitude and get down in the trenches with the rest of us.

April 13, 2011 at 11:38 am | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Grace

The man made his money pushing rap music which promotes racism, violence and the degradaation of women. If he wants to push compassion, try proclaiming the Gospel. That is what makes him a liberal stooge.

April 13, 2011 at 11:40 am | Reply
      • Grace

I honestly know nothing about the man... other than this article. So, I totally agree that if his music promoted that crap... well, that sucks. But, people DO change. Maybe he regrets that. Who knows? I was only judging this piece.
        I would have much less of a problem with meat eating if it came from hunted animals or animals given a decent life. I'm just not too thrilled with complete disrespect for life. I'm no saint. I'm a vegetarian, but haven't been able to crossover to the vegan side. I do think there are real changes that need to be made in our treatment of animals. And I like that this guy cares about that.
        Whatever the rest of his life consists of... well, I have no idea. And probably won't really be looking into his life.

April 13, 2011 at 11:46 am | Reply
      • Truth, Temporary Bachelor@Grace

Good points, Grace, and thank you for discussing them in a civil manner. My problem with this man is his promotion of violence for years, then in the final years, claiming to be compassionate, etc.

I also seem to remember some scripture where Jesus basically said to worry less about what goes INTO a person's mouth and more about what comes out.

April 13, 2011 at 11:52 am | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

It may have been that meat was not included in the original diet, though I fail to believe carnivores did not exist. (Dinosaurs, anyone?)

Regardless, we were all doomed to die after the fall of man. Your diet is irrelevant.

April 13, 2011 at 11:52 am | Reply
  30. kvenido

Ironically i JUST ate a "Tofutti cutie" and they do NOT taste good-P.U.!! :-(

April 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Reply
    • veggiemasaurus

Haha, vegan ice cream is definitely an acquired taste. Kind of like coffee.

April 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Reply
    • Hey U

I *love* Tufutti Cuties and I'm not vegan.

April 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Reply
      • CasLikeThat

Same here! I almost always keep them in the freezer, next to the Ben & Jerry's.

April 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  31. Nat

Fantastic and enlightening! A very refreshing read.

April 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  32. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Do I have to buy all my groceries with a RushCard if I want to be like him? Monopolies!!!

April 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Reply