Cranked-up candy prices, just in time for Easter
April 1st, 2011

The Hershey Company says it is raising wholesale prices by 9.7% on most of its candy products.

The maker of Reese's, Kit Kat, Hershey's Kisses and Twizzlers cited increased costs for raw materials, fuel, utilities and transportation.

It was not clear whether customers would see the price changes before Easter, a big season for chocolate sales. CNN left a message with Hershey's Wednesday but received no immediate response.

In a statement, Hershey's said it was immediately increasing the weighted average price in the majority of its U.S., Puerto Rico and export product line.

Read Hershey's raises prices nearly 10%

Posted by:
Filed under: Big Business • Business and Farming News • Candy • Chocolate • Easter • Holidays • News

1. Dizzywardrobe

I don't buy Hershey's anyway... It tastes cheap.

April 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Reply
    • Snowbunny

HA! I agree... Hershey's sucks.

April 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Reply
    • AleeD from Home Sweet Home

Godiva dark chocolate. Yum.

April 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Reply
  2. Julie Labrouste, Tacoma WA

You are all wasting valuable shopping time reading this article! Go buy more candy and beer and meat-like products, and other "stuff" that you don't need so that you'll continue to be a valuable part of the global economy rather than being led into a Soylent Green factory by the police who are the soldiers of big business...You are all wasting valuable shopping time reading this article! Go buy more...

April 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • JBJingles

Really? Watcha been smoking this morning??

April 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Reply
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Tacoma Washington has some pretty good weed. Not as good as Alaska's, but sufficient.

April 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • Jerv

Hahaha, too funny!

April 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Reply
      • JBJingles@Jerv

Hey where have you been?? Miss you over in the lounge...

April 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  3. whodat

easter candy has been out for weeks, it should not be affacted.

April 1, 2011 at 11:55 am | Reply
  4. Mare

I've noticed this already. I got some peanut butter cups to put on top of brownies, and it was close to $10 for the bag of them. Yeah, I got the biggest bag I could find, but still....

April 1, 2011 at 11:25 am | Reply
  5. Evil Grin

I don't buy a lot of straight candy anymore (not that I don't eat sweets, just that I don't often buy candy or candy bars anymore), but I have to say the last time I bought a candy bar, the prices already seemed pretty high. I was still thinking a normal sized candy bar would be around 60 cents and it wast closer to $1.

It's going to be a sad day when we are paying $2 for a snickers bar. A sad day indeed.

April 1, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • PennyNot

And yet we will. . .

April 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  6. Todd

We shouldn't be eating so much junk food anyway. I'd rather see candy prices increase rather than the price of fruits and vegetables.

April 1, 2011 at 10:58 am | Reply