Lunchtime poll – sniffing out food danger
March 25th, 2011

"We have seen Japanese people in grocery stores paying close attention to where their produce is coming from, and we think this is a wise practice." - World Health Organization spokesman Peter Cordingley

"Most of the food that most Americans are exposed to most of the time is pretty good – and particularly when there is reason to focus on it like this. The regulatory agencies are good about responding to a threat."

"If you think about Japanese imports from a safety point of view, given the fact that there was this bright spotlight of concern because of nuclear radiation, the FDA is going to be very concerned that the food coming in is safe." - Supply chain expert Gene Tanski, CEO of Demand Foresight

It's been an fairly scary year in food, from oil and Corexit threats in seafood and salmonella-tainted eggs to e. coli-related lettuce recalls and radiation-laden water.

The upshot is that food is now more closely scrutinized than at any time in history, and the Food Safety Modernization Act has been signed into law, but is that quieting the butterflies in your stomach?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • FDA • Food Politics • Health News • Lunchtime Poll • Radiation • S. 510 • Tainted Food

1. Farmwife

I think it is crap. It makes it harder for the smaller farmers that the big business who owns the FDA are trying to put out of business. Our food is no safe it is just bunch a regulations to make people feel safer. Remember the fall of Rome with bread and circus. Our government is just trying to keep the people fed and blind. I trying to grow my own food. I also agree with post above that people should be able to buy raw milk if they want to.

March 25, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  2. David Lee Roth

I've got it Bad,I've got it Bad,I'm HOT for Teacher!!!!!! Mr. Newton never held my apple like that!!!

March 25, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  3. Truth

This is another great reaason to hunt and/or fish for your own food. There is something very encouraging to know that nobody handled my dinner except me.

March 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  4. Sinister Sister

OTHER: it doesn't matter to me. When my time has come, my time has come. There's not much I can do about it. So build a bridge and get over it. You can't control everything, so why try?

March 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  5. Cole

Bad news or not, less than 1% of the food (It's likely under 1/10th of 1%) is dangerous, so they're doing something right. If anything I'd like to see both the fed and states ease some of the laws. If I get sick from a freshly killed venison (can't buy now) or from raw milk bought at a store (possible in some states, some not), I'm okay with that.

That's to say, just make sure everything is as advertised, but some products have a natural risk – Let us take that risk.

March 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • stan

I agree %100

March 28, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  6. Jdizzle McHammerpants

I inspect for things like pubes, rotten parts, discolored meat where you can't see it readily through the packaging, missing children, expiration dates, lost loves, lottery numbers, and of course nutritional facts.

March 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Mrs. McHammerpanties

Have I told you lately that I love you?

March 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  7. RichardHead

1. We have an A-Hole President that circumvents Congress and The Constitution.
    2. We have a female Homeland Security A-Hole that is BLIND.
    3. We have numerous A-Holes running FDA,USDA, and on it goes. They couldn't sniff out a Fart in a one man room!

March 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
Pinterest

| Part of

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,989 other followers