Elizabeth Taylor – movie star, chili lover
March 23rd, 2011

Recently departed movie legend Elizabeth Taylor was a woman of many obvious passions - glamorous companionship, AIDS activism, wedding receptions. Perhaps most undersung of them? Chili.

The passage above is taken from Kitty Kelly's 1982 biography "Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star," and while the nature of the author's work is often condemned as scurrilous at best, it would seem she was dead-on about the chili fixation.

Want a taste of Chasen's chili? The restaurant, which had been located on Beverly Boulevard, shuttered in 1997, but What's Cooking America managed to nab the recipe from "Chasen's Where Hollywood Dined: Recipes and Memories," published the previous year.

Make Chasen's Famous Chili and cap it off with an apple martini and a shot of tequila. Liz did love them so.

Previously – Chilly weather means chili weather and Lunchtime poll – your chili preferences (and the "false hunger" of Jim Backus)

Posted by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Chili • Dishes • News

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. ManTestedRecipes

Here's a similar chili (using both pork and beef) that's meat only, if you want something that won't get you yelled at by Texans...

March 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  2. Erich555

She never tried my famous Venison chili.

March 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  3. laseyboy

Goodby to one of the greats. I usually shun chili with beans (that is, cooked with the beans) as being 'Yankee Chili' and not worthy of a true Texan's taste buds. However, I imagine that had I ever had the chance to sit down across from Miz Taylor (I don't believe I knew her well enough to call her Liz) I doubt that I would have noticed that the chili had beans in it. Or anything else for that matter. She was a mesmerizing actress, and the world is a poorer and dimmer place now that her liglht has gone out.
    '

March 23, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  4. Chip Crinkle

Chili Chat will miss Liz, she was a fellow chili lover.

May you rest in beans.

March 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  5. New Man's Own

I bet she liked tossed salads, too.

March 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Fraiser

.... and scrambled eggs!!!

March 24, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  6. Trixie

Not only was Chasen's chili the best ever, so was their Hobo steak, cheese toast and the flambe martinis.
    I sure do miss Chasen's. I had many wonderful and memorable meals there.

March 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  7. D.B.

Fiona... your tone indicates intimate familiarity with snobbish affectation. Why should someone with Elizabeth Taylor's money and influence have her chili prepared by "any cook"? Jealous much?

March 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  8. Fiona

Simple ingredients, all of which would be available all over the world, and could be prepared by any cook. I think having it shipped from the restaurant was nothing but a snobbish affectation. Ridiculous.

I love the recipe note that Chasen's used a "special" meat grinder for this. Yeah, right.

March 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  9. Seamus O'Pine

Elizabeth Taylor HATED being referred to as "Liz." She would not-so-politely correct anyone who made that error in her presence. Funny how so many writers today are using it to add a personal and familiar touch to their stories. Ironically, it just shows how little actual connection they had to Elizabeth. Godspeed Violet Eyes.

March 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  10. Chris

k....well....maybe we shouldn't get too interested in this chili if the chili's #1 fan died of congestive heart failure....

March 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • MalaDee

She was 79 years old and you think it was the only chili that did her in? SHE WAS 79 YEARS OLD. There was alot of life in those 79 years. Would that you are healthy enough to live that long.

As insensitive as you seem to be, you won't make it much past your current age of 15. If you live to your next birthday it's because someone didn't think you worth the effort it takes to kick your azz for chiming in with ignorant drivel like that.

March 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
      • Vegans are facists

Bravissimo My lady!

March 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • John R

People said much the same thing about Colonel Sanders. Of course, he died at 90. Though Taylor was 11 years younger, it still beats the average!

March 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Chris

MalaDee, who's the insensitive one? I didn't insult anybody. It was a stupid comment I left, but jeez.... grab a bowl of chili and chillll.

March 23, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  11. bsitz

Texas Dave what do you use? Goulash up here is beef and noodles.

March 23, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Joy

Beef & noodles is goulash??? I grew up in Illinois and we called it beef & noodles. Goulash was a mixture of hamburger with chili powder, red chili beans & chopped tomatoes. Good stuff!

March 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
      • Joy

Forgot the onions.

March 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • T3chsupport

I've always had it as kind of a cross between chili and spaghetti with some sort of macaroni or manicotti noodles.

March 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • MalaDee

There needs to be an in depth article or maybe a lunchtime poll about goulash. It's among the most varied of dishes, second only to chili. Recipes for it are varied & plentiful and based on the culture in which the cook/chef was exposed. Passions for "the right way to prepare" it run a close parallel to chili.

A tomato-something is always a staple in goulash whether they're fresh, canned, stewed, or made into a paste. It's not just beef & noodles. T3chsupport's got the right idea.

March 24, 2011 at 7:26 am |
      • RichardHead

It's raining and I forgot my goulash's!

March 24, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  12. Texas Dave

Beans? That's Cinncinati style. We call that goulash.

March 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  13. Badtadrink

Best chili I've ever had - it would be worth having it shipped across the world.

March 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Stephen Colbert

You can also have Colbert's Formula 401 shipped anywhere in the world. Need a case?

March 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  14. slupdawg

1/2 C butter? No wonder she liked it!

March 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  15. Evil Grimace

Flying in chili from Los Angeles to Europe? That's quite a craving.

March 23, 2011 at 11:53 am |