March 22nd, 2011

Vendors and importers of Japanese fish at the International Boston Seafood Show weather customers' questions and concerns in the wake of radiation leaks from nuclear power plants in their country.

More on food and radiation

Posted by:
Filed under: Disaster • Environment • FDA • Fishing • Health News • Japan • Ocean • Radiation • Tainted Food

1. Muammar Gaddafi

I'm turning Japanese,Oh Yes I'm turning Japanese!!!!!

March 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Reply
    • Sevenveils

I really think so.

March 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  2. Tony

i think anyone concerned with radiation levels in the fish should look at this flow chart (http://xkcd.com/radiation/) and get a little better educated on what radiation is harmless and which isn't and why.

March 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Reply
    • MalaDee

Educating people so as not to cause wide-spread panic? Tony, what planet are you from?

March 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Reply
  3. Sevenveils

The fish imported from Japan are mainly caught in other regions of the wold and shipped to the Japanese fish markets like the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. Japan does have major commercial Yellowtail (Japanese amberjack) farms but the majority of these fish farms are located far from Tokyo, like the southern island of Kyushu.

March 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  4. AleeD

Not worried. Bring it on!

March 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  5. Evil Grin

I prefer to have the fish initially tested for radiation, as they tested the fish in the gulf coast for oil. Otherwise, I have no problem eating fish from Japan, though I prefer more local fish if possible.

March 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Sevenveils

It is very difficult getting local fish on the east coast of USA. All the really good stuff goes to the Japanese market for international resell.

What ticks me off is when I go sail fin fishing off the coasts of VA, NC and FL the skippers impress the importance of catch and release, which I'm glad to do. Only to watch on TV how fishing boats roam out above NY and catch tons of these fish without any thought of its global impact. For this reason I will not eat sail fish, Blue Marlin and others because at the current harvest rate is unsustainable. In my life time I have watched the once great Chesapeake bay loose is oyster and crabbing businesses reduced to nothing from poor management and I'd hate to see the sail fish as well as the blue fin tuna also succumb to Man's Ignorance and Greed.
      Free the fish!

March 22, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  6. conradshull

Most American's ability to competently analyze scientifically is only marginally greater that that of my Bassett Hound.

March 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Reply
    • Sevenveils

I bet when your basset barks, you listen.

March 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Reply
      • Sevenveils

I had a basset hound, I know :)

March 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Reply