March 9th, 2011

"Holy moley!" is what Cheyenne Terry yelled when she spotted the very large egg roll down the conveyor belt towards her.

In late February, in Yell County, Arkansas, while in the gathering house collecting eggs for her uncle at Tom and Paula Ernst Poultry Farm, Terry discovered the unusually large egg. It reportedly weighs in at 5.4 ounces and measures 3 1/2 inches long.

Terry read about an Iowa man whose hen laid an egg February 18th, weighing in at a whopping 4.1 ounces and the same length.

"That’s a freaking huge egg," is all her uncle could say when he saw her find for the first time. Terry says the egg is nearly four times larger than a normal egg. She is saving the egg at home in her refrigerator and hopes to break a Guinness Book record for the world largest chicken egg.

After submitting the measurements to the Guinness Book of World Records, she received an approval for record claim and the organization approved a new category for Worlds Largest Chicken Egg based on her discovery. Terry’s biggest concern is learning how she can preserve the egg. The process is expected to take 4-6 weeks, but in the meantime, she's not putting all her hopes in one basket.

Terry found another egg last Thursday on the same farm, measuring 3 1/2 inches and 5.28 ounces. Not quite the size of the first, but according to Terry, "There is definitely something special about the chickens on this farm."

Guinness is checking records to determine if other eggs exist that may be larger.

Posted by:
Filed under: Business and Farming News • News • Weird News

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. faith

we just checked today and found one large egg that was 3 inches long. i don't have a way of weighing it. and when i searched i found guiness book said 9 inches with 5 yolks was the largest. ours couldn't fit in a large egg carton

November 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  2. warriorsmk

As an old country boy there is an explanation. On occasion a chicken wll lay a double or triple yoked egg. This accounts for the larger size. It is true for all things that produce eggs. Even in humans if the yoke splits there are identical twins. An identical twin is just the product of an egg that split at some point in embryonic development.

March 10, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  3. I want da gold!

Where da gold at?

March 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  4. mike

What first the egg or the chicken and who was the first to say something just fell out of that bird lets go eat it.

March 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  5. wowlfie

I'll take three over easy with my hammy!

March 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  6. AGeek

What's special? .. someone seeded the chicken coops with a hen turkey. Duh.

March 10, 2011 at 11:06 am | Reply
  7. wowlfie

Find that chicken!

March 10, 2011 at 10:49 am | Reply
  8. americansunrise

We have chickens on our farm (and I HATE them – they are the dumbest, nastiest, most destructive [they will tears a flower bed apart in nothing flat] critters God ever created), but having said that, we allow our chickens to be orgainic and free range (they eat TONS of bugs!), and they eggs are the best. We do not eat our chickens – that why God created the A&P!

March 10, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • lovesChickens

Chickens truly are amazingly stupid... but we think that makes them great entertainment. :) Throwing some aging grapes to the chickens and watching them for it is hilarious... :)

March 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  9. The Witty One

HA! Chicken roe is everywhere!

March 10, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
  10. Avery

No poultry, including egg laying hens, are allowed to be given hormons in the US.

March 10, 2011 at 9:57 am | Reply
    • chicken lady

I agree. That is one reason why we have our own chickens. I don't want to eat animal hormones. Nothing on our farm is fed hormones or antibiotics, unlike many places. And my garden produce is not treated with pesticides. So my tomatoes may have a spot that needs cut out, but they do taste wonderful.

March 10, 2011 at 10:02 am | Reply
  11. chicken lady

We've had chickens that occasionally lay enormous eggs, probably that large. Our ladies are free-range and are fed without hormones or antibiotics. They run outside during the day, eating whatever they choose. Often, when one of the big eggs appears, we may see an unusually small egg next. Our Ameracauna hen laid a whopper a couple of weeks ago. I choose to think our ladies are happy and showing it.

March 10, 2011 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • Jerv@chicken lady

I'm curious, do the oversized eggs taste any different?

March 10, 2011 at 9:30 am | Reply
      • chicken lady

They're the same as usual – delicious! The yolk may be a somewhat bigger, and sometimes there are two yolks. We had a chicken once that laid double-yolk eggs daily for almost a year. Those eggs were Jumbo size, but not enormous. I don't use those for baking because they're essentially two eggs and might affect the finished product, but an "eggcellent" breakfast!

March 10, 2011 at 9:42 am | Reply
      • Jerv@chicken lady

Laughs! Thank you.

March 10, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
      • chicken lady

March 10, 2011 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • KDW1

I just read an article on another site that was about wether other species of animals go through menopause. It stated that in the later stages of a chickens life they may lay a larger than normal egg that would then lead them to become infertile. Is the chicken that laid the large egg capable of continuing to lay eggs? Just curious if this what may be happening to your chickens or for the one from this story.

March 10, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
      • chicken lady

The Ameracauna hen is older (3 yrs), and I thought of her age as well. She does still lay regularly, every other day as she has from the beginning. Some chickens we've had that lay the big eggs have been in their first year, though, so it seems to just be a random event. Chickens usually only lay regularly for about 3 years, some prolific layers that lay daily may only produce for a couple of years. They are like humans, they have a finite number of ova that get used up, and then, no more eggs. The one hen that laid double-yolk eggs started out doing so, and continued producing that way daily for almost an entire year, then she settled down and got her works straightened out and laid normally for another year or so. We got spoiled on her for breakfast! I guess that is like some women who have fraternal twins – release two ova.

March 10, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
      • chicken lady

BTW, the double-yolk eggs won't hatch if incubated, and I wouldn't incubate one of the super-size eggs for the same reason.

March 10, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Beth

Just want to thank Chicken Lady and all the other free-range, hormone free chicken farmers out there! Most grocery stores now carry these (be sure to research if they really are free-range and not just claiming it), but for the chickens who live there its a much more humane life and well worth a few extra pennies a dozen. I'm a proud supporter of businesses like this, keep up the good work! :)

March 10, 2011 at 10:07 am | Reply
      • chicken lady

Thank you, Beth. We love our animals and they return the favor. We give our eggs to families in need in our area and to a local food pantry when we have extra. One of our ladies is so tame that she sits on my foot to be petted, and they're all curious as can be when we're around. They're really pretty and interesting animals.

March 10, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
    • paige

My grand parents have had chickens for years and years... I have gotten double yolk eggs that what that one looks like.....

March 10, 2011 at 10:17 am | Reply
    • :)

Same here! Its kind of funny when you're making an omelet and BOOM. Double yolk! Ha...
      Our chickens have laid eggs that big.

March 10, 2011 at 10:23 am | Reply
    • lovesChickens

I grew up on a farm and can't wait until I can get somewhere where I can have a couple chickens again.. "Home Grown" eggs are SOO much better than grocery-store eggs! I almost forgot this and thought I just didn't like eggs anymore– then while I was up north taking care of my Mom I got to eat the eggs my niece raises (they're so tame because my great -niece is like a "chicken whisperer"; and when she walks up to them the hens sit down so she can pick them up) and the flavor difference was extraordinary! Basically, I'd totally forgotten that Eggs can have *FLAVOR".

March 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Reply
  12. B

She should name it "Monsanto"

March 10, 2011 at 9:20 am | Reply
  13. Ruth

The something special is whatever hormones they're giving the chickens.

March 10, 2011 at 8:59 am | Reply
    • Jerv

I was thinking the same thing.

March 10, 2011 at 9:00 am | Reply
    • steeve-o

Rule of thumb: If the chicken breast is bigger than your girlfriend's breast, it's probably hormone fed.

March 10, 2011 at 10:31 am | Reply
    • Sinister Sister

Or you're girlfriend hasn't developed yet.

March 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Reply
    • brucebogtrotter

I used to think the exact same thing until I started volunteering on an organic farm. I personally fed the chickens corn feed and am positive they never received any hormones. I was shocked at the amount of huge eggs I discovered when collecting. Generally, the bigger the bird, the bigger the egg.

March 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  14. Truth

Who's got the bacon?

March 10, 2011 at 8:37 am | Reply
  15. MT Miner

Someone should be looking for the bow legged chicken in that coop

March 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Reply
    • TinaTeach

my thoughts exactly!

March 10, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
      • Anita

Thirded!

March 10, 2011 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • Chelsea

Your comment made my day. Lmao, I about choked on my lunch reading it...

March 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

Poor gal! whoooo... In chickenese she was shouting for an epidural.

March 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Reply
    • PADRE BILL

the hen should be constipated laying such a huge egg, she will be easy to find

March 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Reply