Are you eating in your sleep?
March 9th, 2011

From our pals at CNN Health's The Chart:

She was alarmed by the time that she made a baked potato in the middle of the night. “Do you know how long it takes to bake a potato! It scares me that the episodes last that long and also the reason I know that I baked it in the oven, rather than microwaving it, is because the oven was still on in the morning.”

Then the things that she was eating got a bit bizarre. For example, one time, her husband found her trying to eat a frozen veggie burger. But what brought her to the sleep center was the episode where she found an open, half-eaten can of cat food and she was not sure if she had really fed it to her cat.

Read Get Some Sleep: Do you eat in your sleep?

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Jason

I don't think I've ever eaten anything in my sleep, but I once woke up standing in my kitchen with a can of spaghettio's dumped on my head. I have also walked across a busy road and into the ocean while asleep!

July 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  2. Tom

My room mate once caught me eating in my sleep. I was eating cereal out of the box while I was lying on the kitchen floor. He told me to go to bed and I did. I have no memory of the incident but there was an empy box of cereal under the table the next morning and I had crumbs in my beard. I suppose he could have se it up but I dont think he did. I do sometimes sleepwalk, I once woke up in a closet but to my knowlege I didnt eat anything in there.

March 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  3. AleeD

Never eaten in my sleep. Never woke up in the middle of the night to eat either.

March 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  4. I want da gold!

Where da gold at?

March 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Reply
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

There are gold dingleberries around uranus

March 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  5. JBJingles

OMG, my mother sleep eats!! She got so scared once waking up and finding peanut butter out and all over the counters, she thought someone had broken in (she lives alone). Well, if you know anyone who takes Ambien, please warn them...it's real. People have also been known to sleep drive. Scary stuff. Never happened to me.

March 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  6. Evil Groan

I have never done this (to my knowledge) but I find the phenomenon interesting. Not to say that I don't consciously get up in the middle of the night and fix myself a snack, but I've never found any evidence to suggest I've done this while sleeping.

I remember watching a documentary on this a couple of years ago. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, until you realize that for some people, sleep eating isn't limited to food. Some eat household objects, paper towels, frozen things, whatever their sleeping brain feels is food. That can do some major damage to the body.

March 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Reply