Lunchtime poll – Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday and Paczki Day
March 8th, 2011

Talk about your Fat Tuesday!

We've sunk our teeth pretty deeply into Mardi Gras already today, but New Orleans isn't the only float in the food parade.

Across the UK, royals (and royals-to be, like Kate Middleton, pictured above) and hoi polloi alike flip pancakes in celebration of Shrove Tuesday. The Pennsylvania Dutch fry up fastnachts and folks of Polish descent (and/or, apparently, residents of Michigan) polish off plenty of paczki - a jelly-filled doughnut - with great, greasy abandon.

Why the coordinated chow-down? For many, Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent - a time a period of penitence and fasting in the Catholic calendar - and historically, fat, sugar and other edible excesses are off the menu until Easter. Feed now, fast later and remove all temptation from the house.

From "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking" - 1978
fastnacht

1. Evil Grin

Well, I don't belong to a religion that has food traditions, such as fasting or lent, or that has restrictions such as not eating meat on certain days or anything. However, that doesn't mean that if you put a fastnacht or paczki in front of me, I wouldn't try it and enjoy it. I just also wouldn't follow it by a fast or by limiting my normal diet.

March 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  2. mamablueyz

Born and raised on the south side of Chicago EVERYONE celebrated Paczki day! Literally we would get up before the sun and stand in line in the freezing cold for fresh paczki. What Great Memories!!

March 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  3. WC Ford

and let me add: IMPORTED FROM DETROIT (technically Hamtramck, but whatevs).

We are the Pazcki City and this IS what we eat! At least on Fat Tuesday :)

March 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  4. WC Ford

Pazcki always make an appearance in our workplace...lemon custard, mmmmmmmmmm

March 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  5. Caroline

MMMMMM...Pazcki, just like my little polish grandma used to make. All health concerns out the window with those, but so worth it!

March 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  6. I want da gold!

Who else sees a leprechaun say 'Yeah'!

March 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  7. me

DAMN you Eatocracy!!! Beignets, Pazcki, Fastnachts.... and not a donut in sight here at work!

March 8, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
    • Kat Kinsman

Welcome to my life! I live to spread the pain.

March 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply