Coffee klatsch
March 3rd, 2011

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the daily Coffee klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

Kat sat in a theater alone yesterday and ate popcorn. There are worse ways to spend a day.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Tazer@Truth, Faith

See, now isn't that much different than a lot of the "drive-thru" weddings that others have? Really it's easy to project your ideas and feelings about another in a certain situation (we as a species not y'all as individuals), much harder to look at it from the other side of the coin. Not every person will work hard for a marriage, or even stick with a marriage (50% divorce rate, anyone?). Some moms kill their kids. Some dads high tail it out of kids' lives. This mom decided she couldn't take it and ran away.

And about the sex thing... I'm not a christian by any means, but wouldn't it have something to do with temptation and following the righteous path?

March 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  2. faith@Truth

Great story! Glad you had a nice converstation with your Mom. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

March 3, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  3. faith

If anyone is still here........I saw part of the interview on Today as well. I had actually heard about her before. The only thing I really had a hard time grasping was her children were 3 and 5 when she decided that she didn't want to be full time hands on mom. My three are 3, 4 and 5 and I can't imagine not seeing them everyday. As I was sitting on the couch this afternoon with my sick 3 year old, my thoughts turned back to this mother. I was wondering how her 3 year old coped with missing his mommy. I can't imagine my kids having to understand that I would not be coming home to them.

March 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Reply
    • Tazer@faith

I feel the same way (albeit I don't have children). However, not all women get that mother-y feeling. I don't condone it but I can kind of see how it could be possible for her to just not be able to handle it.

March 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Reply
      • faith

I think all mothers have days when they just aren't "feelin' it" and sometimes it may last more than one day. I should do some more research, but I'm wondering if she ever saw a therapist, maybe she had some lingering post-partum depression. I definitely don't want to judge her for her choice, my heart just aches her babies when they were missing her.

March 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Reply
      • Truth@Tazer, Faith

We are trying, so it hit home for me pretty ahrd. How can you walk down the aisle, work to conceive and raise (for at least a few years) and then walk away? Of course, being male, if I say that, I get branded a chauvinist pig, etc, so I was curious to see what women were saying.

March 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Reply
      • Tazer@Truth, Faith

I agree with both of you.

On the flip side though, not all men are inherently dead-beat dads just because of their gender, so why would all women be cut out to be nurturing and stick-with-it moms?

March 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Reply
      • Truth@Tazer, Faith

EXCELLENT point! I have often thought that given that I married a foreigner, I have had to WORK for it....We actually were married twice, once in VN, once here a year later when she finally got her visa. We often talk about how we could not have rushed into it, as we had to work hard for our marriage. I sometimes think that child conception should have been designed the same way, so as to prevent people from getting into it lightly and without full consideration.

When I get to the hereafter, one of my first questions for my Creator will be just that: If you knew that people would use sex lightly or negatively, why did You make it so (usually) pleasurable?

March 3, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Reply
      • faith@Truth

That's an interesting first question........... :)

I always say that parenting is the hardest job there is. And I used to be an air traffic controller. So, I know a little bit about hard jobs. But, it is also the most rewarding. My sick 3 year old told me he loved me about 50 times today. Maybe it just made him feel better to say it.

March 3, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Reply
      • Truth@Faith

(CRY!)
        I actually just talked to my Mom who just yesterday turned 79. She called to thank us for the flowers we sent. Three years ago, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and some days are better than others. Today she was pretty lucid, and was recounting how when I was three I had to wear an eye patch to correct a lazy left eye. She used to wrap chocolate chip cookies in a napkin, and hide them somewhere in the house, I would "play pirate" by looking for this "buried tresure". Made me just short of downright sob hearing her recount this. Someone way brighter than I am once said that you never quite stop being a kid as long as your parents are still around. They were right.

March 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  4. Truth@The Ladies

Thanks for your thoughts. I had a rare day at home today, as my Bride has the flu, so I stayed home to get in her way...:)

I saw the interview on "Today" and then used The Google to do a little research. I walked away thinking that as a society, I think we attach WAY too much importance to parenthood...That is not to sya we respect it, but rather we expect people to just go blindly into it. I wish her family the best. I was curious to hear women's opinions. (most of my close friends are female, and I usually refer to them as my "panel of experts")

March 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  5. Truth@Queen

See attached:

March 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Reply
  6. Truth@Queen

The woman's name is Rahna Reiko Rizzuto, and Today interviewed her about how she was working temporarily in Japan and decided to give up her family to stay. She was pretty heavily rationalizing that she did not harm her kids, and I am curious to see the opinions of some of the ladies here...

Thoughts?

March 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    • Chicago Lady

We each have brief seconds/minutes contemplating walking away from family but she is by far the exception. I've known a LOT of people but only one who did walk away from hubby/kids/life(and this was after losing a child to an accident). She must have a lot of guilt.

March 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Reply
    • Queen of Everything from the Castle@Truth

First of all, I didn't watch the entire interview. I think she hit the nail on the head with the statement " I never wanted to be a mother". Women are still expected to marry and have kids, they're looked at as oddities if they choose a different path. There is also a belief that motherhood = love. I think you can hate being a mother but still love your children. In this situation I think she probably did make the best decision for all involved. Over time her resentment towards motherhood and all of it's various ties would have spilled over on to her children. While I wouldn't make the same choice she did, I'm also not in her shoes (thankfully).

March 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • Panda1895@Truth

I couldn't watch the video because I am at work, but from the comments below the video, it looks like she moved back to the states at some point and now lives a block down the road from her kids and has joint custody.

Either way, it is horrible what she did. If I were her child, I would not accept her back into my life. If I ever lost my skippy little mind and did that, I would not expect my child to accept me back either. You can't waltz in and out of a child's life at your whim and expect no damage to be done.

March 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Reply